Have mercy on my printer...

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Problem:
  • Printing article PDFs is wasteful in current layout:
    • Black and white printers turn fancy pictures into so much black ink
    • Information could be parsed down to save paper/ink/binder space with some simple editing

Easy solution:
  • Is there a simple way to just cut and paste the text from a PDF that I don't know about? If so, I could just put it into word and print it out in a less wasteful (though less visually appealing) format.

More complicated solution:
  • Can we get a second, "bare bones" version of the article for printing?

I actually enjoy the new layout visually. I don't mind the landscape layout and I appreciate the art.

I just want to reduce waste of ink, paper, and space when I'm printing these out. It'd be nice to be able to copy everything into a text editor and format it to my liking for clarity and size.
fo diggity Twitter: www.twitter.com/fodigg Comic Books You Should Have Read: http://tinyurl.com/ycxe9l7
When I have downloaded the KotS PDFs, there are huge swaths of black hiding the text. I use PDFs all the time, what am I doing wrong? Or more likely what have WOTC done to me THIS time?
Why are we having to search online for stuff that should be up and running now? There are a few fillable pdfs appearing now and at least one excellent homebrewed generator, written in Excel no less. If the fan-boys can have working versions up and running 4 days after the books appear, why can't WOTC?
P.s. I really need an answer about the black sections on the KotS Sidetreks. It's doing my my crust in!

Carldot34
Printer Friendly versions of the articles have been requested since WotC first took over the e-zines. Hopefully they'll take such requests into consideration for the future.
(Is there a simple way to just cut and paste the text from a PDF that I don't know about? )

Unless the version you are using is older then mine and the document not protected from copy function. All you need to do is to select the text tool, this should allow you to highlight (with your cursor) the text you desire, copied it and paste it into something else.

Protected documents can also be viewed by looking at source, lots of things you do not want to read but it can be edited in most cases to something close to plain text, hours of time depending on size.
Plans are always subject to change.
You should also be able to use the snapshot tool to put a box around the area of text you want and copy it into word or whatever.
Thanks guys. Between snapshot tool and text tool I should be able to reformat these.
fo diggity Twitter: www.twitter.com/fodigg Comic Books You Should Have Read: http://tinyurl.com/ycxe9l7
There is a select tool next the the hand button on the tool bar at the top that will let you select and copy material( it is the one with the arrow pointing to the line) another way is instead of using black and white printing, choose gray scale. still only uses black ink ( i think) but lighter shades of gray in the colored areas.
There should also be an option in one of the menus :Save as text
It will make a txt file of all the text in the document.
Those are both great suggestions. Thanks!
Also try printing in a lighter, 'draft' mode, as per your printer settings. Usually a printer lets you print lighter so that it should use far less ink up for things like this
Well I for one will not be getting DDI if they don't correct this problem. Have a full color article but also have a Printer freindly one.
I concur. I have had a frag if a time with Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth maps, since even in colour they were grey and light blue, making it a nightmare to try and trace for the PCs (and of course, in grey scale it's grey on grey). PDF-only format ought to be printer-friendly over glossy-posey as it would cost a fortune to prnt everything in colour and it's hideously wasteful to boot.
When I have downloaded the KotS PDFs, there are huge swaths of black hiding the text. I use PDFs all the time, what am I doing wrong? Or more likely what have WOTC done to me THIS time?
Why are we having to search online for stuff that should be up and running now? There are a few fillable pdfs appearing now and at least one excellent homebrewed generator, written in Excel no less. If the fan-boys can have working versions up and running 4 days after the books appear, why can't WOTC?
P.s. I really need an answer about the black sections on the KotS Sidetreks. It's doing my my crust in!

Carldot34

Are you using Acrobat/Acrobat Reader? If so, what version of Acrobat/Acrobat Reader do you have?
not sure if this was already said, but there is a paper/document option to crop pages. You can set the border crop from as little as .01 inch or more.

Just crop out what you don't want, it allows you to pick all sides.
I'm personally typing all the information into a text editor (Open Office) and printing out what I want that way. The only time I'll want to print the actual article is if I need a specific rule for my character for an RPGA game.

I agree though, a printer friendly without all the graphics would be fab!
I've been copying into a text editor, arranging the text, then copying that into something like word where I can do bullet points and fancy tables for powers and items and stuff, and then when I print I use the "toner save" option under "effects". I waste far less ink this way, and any color images actually come out looking nicer.

It's a useful option that I'm glad I found.