D&Di FAQ

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
OUT OF DATE

This FAQ is created using posts made by WotC Employees found scattered throughout the forums. I have compiled the information below.

Using the table of contents:
The table of contents will allow you to quickly scan the FAQ to see if there are any new questions or updates. New questions will be highlighted in red and updates will be highlighted and italicized for a week.

Each of the heading is a link to the post that contains the questions under that heading, you can click that link to bring you right to the post.

I am also putting unique question identifiers in front of each question so that you can use your browsers find text feature to find a specific question and answer. For Example if you are interested in the second question about pricing type [P2] into your browsers find text function and click find text to be brought to the question. You may have to click find twice as the first time may locate the text in the Table of Contents.

Table of Contents

Pricing:
  • [P1]-Pricing Policy
  • [P1a]-Why won't you guys sell the components of D&D Insider separately (a la carte)?
  • [P1b]-"Do you guys plan on starting to charge with the launch of the first app, or when they are all out?"
  • [P2]- What is this I hear about a price for Web-Only Content? August 14
  • [P3]-What is the current pricing model on the Virtual Minis?
  • [P4]-Why do we have to purchase 3d mini's and why aren't they part of the monthly fee? Update: September 5
  • [P5]-Do you have any idea what additional passes cost?
  • [highlight][P6]-When does the free trial end?[/highlight] September 18

D&Di: General Questions:
  • [GQ1]-Where is the D&DI applications, how come I can't find them to download?
  • [GQ2]-What does the subscription cost include? Update: September 5
  • [GQ3]- What is included in the Web-Content Subscription? September 5
  • [GQ4]-What doesn't the subscription include? Update: September 5
  • [GQ5]-So I will extract information for ease of reading, and you can correct me if I am wrong. All official monsters will be 2D tokens, All tokens will be free for subscribers, Subscribers get some free 3D v-minis based on the official monsters, Subscribers can buy special 3D v-minis not in official products. Does that sum it up correctly June 16
  • [GQ6]-What is the order in which the applications will be released?
  • [GQ7]-Is there any ETA on when the applications will become available?July 14
  • [GQ8]-Is there a spot that I can log onto for all of the lateset info on DDi (besides the forums) that WoTC has put up? Update: September 5
  • [GQ9]-Do any of the DDi apps run on Windows Vista? June 16
  • [GQ10]-I desperately hope that the VMiniatures will not be random, that I will be able to buy the exact ones I want when i need them. Random boosters suck. I have never bought the random mini packs, I only buy singles at my local store, to represent the exact monsters I need in my games.
  • [GQ11]-Why are we charging extra for v-minis? Update: September 5
  • [GQ12]-What if I don't buy the extra v-minis? Update: September 5
  • [GQ13]-Aren't the 3D V-minis basically carbon copies of the real life D&D minis? July 14
  • [GQ14]-Will we be able to change the color in the clothing and items how ever they want for the V-minis? July 14
  • [GQ15]-I am curious if the community at large would be able to contribute to the 3d V-mini library graphically. August 14
  • [GQ16]-The 3D V-minis are not animated, correct? July 14
  • [GQ17]-I have purchased a VMini, will I be able to place as many of that mini as I like on my game table? Asking a customer to buy multiple versions of a physical object is one thing, but there is no intrinsic cost to the manufacturer in allowing me to use multiple copies of a digitized 3d image. If we are asked to do this, I would balk, for it would feel like exploitation.
  • [GQ18]-What if I buy Virtual minis and then cancel my subscription?
  • [GQ19]-How customizable are the tokens? Does anyone know? Have they indicated? Update July 14
  • [GQ20]-Could a third party publisher sell down loadable components for the virtual game table, i.e. virtual mini's, dungeon tiles and already build dungeons for the game table? I'm just wondering if such digital components are also covered by the GSL?
  • [GQ21]-Is there any truth behind what I have heard, which is that DDi will support D&D 3.5?
  • [GQ22]-My concern is, as a DM, what V-minis will be allocated to the game. I dont want to use a Kobold to represent a Dragon or a Elf to represent a Giant. Will D&D Insider contain the same information/V-Minis as the Monster Manual, Players Handbook and DM's Guide?
  • [GQ23]-If I purchase an e-adventure, will I be able to use the v-mini's and dungeon tiles that come with that adventure in my own custom built adventures? June 16
  • [GQ24]-Via D&Di I will be able to refer to my physical books or PDF, or b) that the complete reference (as it apppears in the manual) will be available in the D&Di applications?
  • [GQ25]-If I stop my subscription (say I can't afford it one month) and start back up at a later date, will I lose v-content I have purchased (adventures, minis, tiles, objects to place on the v-table)?
  • [GQ26]-"I want to know exactly what will happen when I stop paying my monthly fee. Will I lose everything? Will I get to export jpgs of dungeons that I've created? Will I be able to use the client apps (unlikely)? Will I retain access to the magazine articles released while I was subscribed?"
  • [GQ27]-What I was mostly curious about, is will there be a method do upgrade a monster quickly and easily (and it doing the math) with any of the tools? June 16
  • [GQ28]-I use an overhead projector and minis in my face-to-face sessions. June 16
  • [GQ29]-Will I be able to store data locally from the character builder/ visualizer and the cartographer? Or will all player data be stored on the server? June 16
  • [GQ30]-And finally: What is the background behind the descision to use a windows only solution, if there are well established 3d engines around that work on multipople platforms (several of which also provide web plug-ins)? Right now my only guess would be that they wanted to use that .net code from D&D online... which would also explain the delays June 16
  • [GQ31]- So the Brand Manager says all mosnters from all core publications including the e-zines will be in the tools, but you say otherwise? Who should we believe? June 16
  • [GQ32]-Will there be RPGA sanctioned events or Living campaigns run through the Game Table? That would be totally awesome if it was because I live in a small town and dont get to game very much myself. June 16
  • [GQ33]-What happens down the track when the next version of D&D is released. Will I still be able to run my 4th Edition campaign using D&Di or will I be forced to repurchase the new edition in order to continue using D&Di? June 16

D&Di: Game Table
  • [GT1]-What is the difference for this feature between the subscriber and non-subscriber.
  • [GT2]-I read in another thread that there would also be a limited number of sessions you could play per month, but this was not an official post so I do not know the authenticity of it. Has anyone else heard this from an official source?
  • [GT3]-Will DMs and Players be able to "share" their V-minis during a session?
  • [GT4]-If for some reason a party member leaves the game, perhaps due to character death, Real Life or any other reason, does he take his virtual mini's home with him, or do they stay with the game until the session is over?
  • [GT5]-Will tokens have an editable "notes" field in which I can copy/paste my own custom notes?
  • [GT6]-Also, will I be able to create and import as many custom 3D minis as I want or will there be a limit? Essentially, I'd like to have the ability to create custom NPC minis rather than use the premade minis from miniature sets. I feel that custom NPC minis will really add a lot to the perceived unique characteristics of the NPC.
  • [GT7]-Wil the Game Table do things like track damage, decide if the character gets hit, calculate saves etc.
  • [GT8]-Will the gametable allow a GM to set what is visible to each player or will all players see the same thing?July 14
  • [GT9]-I think one good way to get the community more behind the game table would be to allow people to load in their own models for monster, and if we can get the specs, for characters. This could cut into the 'virtual minis' I've been hearing about, but really, which is more important, getting a few bucks off of players, or having a rallying point that draws in the community at large?
  • [GT10]-If we have a paid subscription to DDI, is there any manner of printing out tokens for regular real-life use.
  • [GT11]-How do the game passes work for the non-subscribers?
  • [GT12]-Will the 24 hour pass count down from the moment it is issued, or is it 24 hours of play time?
  • [GT13]-Will people buying one-time passes get refunds for things like this if a game is disrupted due to some sort of downtime with the Game Table!?
  • [GT14]-Do you have any idea what additional passes cost?
  • [GT15]-I heard that you can play multiple characters from one account at the same time (i.e. I can play two characters), is this true?
  • [GT16]-I have purchased the H1 module, but I have not seen anything in the book that looks like an unlock code. I know of nothing that has been stated, but I was wondering if WoTC is considering releasing Premade gametable versions of published products like the new 4e H series, and also if you have considered making the VMinis for the exact monsters used in said premade adventures available with said gametable versions (if indeed this has been considered).
  • [GT17]-What if a regular group is missing a player one night and there is someone out there wishing they could play? It would be great if there was a facility to put these folks together
  • [GT18]-Will the game table list the players signed in and have a graphic indicating when a player is speaking (such as a speaker icon)?July 14
  • [GT19]-What options will we have available through the chat interface? Whisper/PM? Multiple personalities? OOC? July 14
  • [GT20]-Will the only way to communicate using the Game Table be by the voice over IP?
  • [GT21]-Will the Game Table support sound effects?
  • [GT22]-Will the game table support webcams? July 14
  • [GT23]-Can you mix and match dungeon tiles from different sets at the virtual table?
  • [GT24]-Has any thought been given to using the Game Table app in LAN applications? June 16
  • [GT25]-Does anyone know if you can play on the D&D Game Table using 2D maps? And I don't just mean 2D maps made from the same old dungeon tiles that's given out by WoTC. Can you draw your own maps, and then play on them? The reason I ask this is because if I play an RPG on here other than D&D, which WoTC supports 100%, such as a superhero RPG, I wouldn't want it to be 3D because all the minis would be of fantasy heroes, villains, and monsters and not of things from other genres such as super heroes or science-fiction stuff. June 16
  • [GT26]-Also, from all the videos and screenshots I've seen so far, all the game tables look the same. They all have a black background and a gray floor with minimal marks showing, for instance, water. Will you be able to change this to be colorful and put whatever you want in it? June 16
  • [GT27]-Will you be able to post your game up early with a start time (and maybe end time) so that substitute outsiders can show up to the game on time not interrupting a session?
    As a player, can I sign on early to reserve a spot in a game for the time I'm free to play?
    If a game is posted early, will there be a way to contact the DM at least before the game starts to at least get basic introductions? June 16
  • [GT28]-When the table does make it out, will you be able to share battlemap layouts with other subscribers? Not if they're connected to the same game you are, but something that would be up and downloadable? July 14
  • [GT29]-My impression is that file sharing is not part of the Game table. The vaults would be locked to user and so on. It clearly is possible in the meeting place that Urls perhaps even maps could be posted, however not sure how the hoped for meet and greet will be set up. July 14
  • [GT30]-What about conjurations and zones created by spells? Will there be an object that can be placed on the table to represent them in a conenient manner, or will these things all need to be remembered by the DM? July 14
  • [GT31]-Is drawing the only way Game Table will display Areas of Effect, or will there be standard templates (like tiles) that can be placed? July 14

D&Di: Character Visualizer
  • [CV1]-What is the difference for this feature between the subscriber and non-subscriber.
  • [CV2]-Lastly (this has just occurred to me) there is in 4e the ability to adapt any MM humanoid or other creature to be a PC race. How will that work in the Character modeler. Will I be able to make a gnoll pc and represent him on the v-table if I don't have a gnoll v-mini? How is that going to work?
  • [CV3]-Does this mean visualizer will be a one time download not requiring connection to WotC servers, or that it can ONLY be done by connecting to WotC servers? August 14

D&Di: Character Builder
  • [CB1]-What is the difference for this feature between the subscriber and non-subscriber.
  • [CB2]-Will the Character Builder be Web Based?
  • [CB3]-Are you going to be able to use the character generator offline? I loved the E-Tools and the ability to install it on your computer and make your character up and then pull it up during gaming night and do a print preview to see your character sheet and use it while you play. The place I play does not have internet access, so this new character generator would have to be offline use as well as online use. Does anybody know if it can be used offline?
  • [CB4]-Will I be able to print my characters?
  • [CB5]-Will the character builder support RPGA characters? July 14

D&Di: Dungeon Builder
  • [DB1]-What is the difference for this feature between the subscriber and non-subscriber.
  • [DB2]-Would we be able to Print the maps for on table use, or be stuck to use the tools online for the created maps?
  • [DB3]-Will the software allowing the construction of miniatures-scale D&D maps have a companion program or alternate mode intended for world map design, or will we still have to use sketches/3rd party resources for that?
  • [DB4]-Will the dungeon builder have outdoor tiles? June 16
  • [DB5]-Will digital tiles be made available by WOTC? If so, will there be a fee? June 16

D&Di: Rules Compendium
  • [RC1]-What is the difference for this feature between the subscriber and non-subscriber.
  • [RC2]-Will the Rules Compendium provide the page numbers and book where the rule can be found?
  • [RC3]-Will the Rules Compendium be multilingual?
  • [RC4]-"I do have a question/reques about the compendium. Even though it will not have full rules, but "rules elements" why were page numbers taken out?"
  • [RC5]-"On the front of the display of the elements itself, it may be needed to have some sort of advanced search where you can find all items matching both Elf and Wizard, or matching either Elf or Wizard for example so you can make a more defined search with multiple terms."
  • [RC6]-I was pretty sure that the compendium wasn't going to contain rules, but point you the rules in whatever book they were part of, so I'm unclear as to why there seems to be a camp here suggesting that buy having DDi, you won't need to buy the new books for new material. Could someone clarify this for me? June 16

D&Di: Magazines
  • [M1]- What is the release schedule like for the Dragon and Dungeon magazines?
  • [M2]- Why can't I find the whole magazine?
  • [M3]-Will we ever know when a specific article from the table of contents will be released?
Pricing:
[INDENT]-- [P1] Pricing Policy --

Let's start with what the pricing policy is as of today. I say "as of today" because the pricing model is subject to change. Why? Because we think we know what the value propositions in our applications are. We think we know what's going to excite the audience. We think we know what the last remaining technical obstacles are and how to overcome them. Why do we only think? Why don't we know? Because we've never had this type of model before. Wizards historically hasn't done subscriptions, and D&D has never had a digital package before meant to enhance the experience.

So right now, I'm pretty sure the model I'm describing is the model we will launch with, or at least very very close. But that's not a promise it won't change, because it might.

Tentative D&D Insider pricing model --

1 Month upfront -- $14.95 per month
3 Months upfront -- $12.95 per month
12 Months upfront -- $9.95 per month

-- [P1a] Why won't you guys sell the components of D&D Insider separately (a la carte)?

It's because we're trying to offer the most value to the player for D&D Insider, truly. If we were to price each application separately, we'd come up with a price much higher than $14.95 a month for everything, and more than double the $9.95 a month a year-long subscriber pays.

We want this decision to be an easy one for players -- we want D&D Insider to be a great value pickup for most players. We also want players to have generall the same gaming experience...every D&D Insider knows that every other D&D Insider has access to the Visualizer, and to the magazines, and to the Game Table, etc., so it builds more of a shared community and shared experience. For all these reasons we originally decided against the a la carte approach.

That said, we have and do occasionally revisit the issue. Obviously, we want to maximize players' happiness with D&D Insider (and while some of that is good feeling, a lot of it is just common sense -- we also want to maximize revenue). This is one of those areas where we'll see, depending on our sense of the market and what players are actually doing and saying.

-- [P1b] "Question -- "Do you guys plan on starting to charge with the launch of the first app, or when they are all out?"

This question fits in well with the pricing issue, so I'm including it here. The answer is, "It depends." If we feel that the time window between launching any two given applications is long enough, we may decide the right answer for us is to offer a different version of D&D Insider...one that costs less money, but also offers fewer features. But we're not going to have any definitive plan in that direction until we get further along in this year.

In some ways, the answer to this question overrides the answer to 1a. If we launched the applications all at the same time, it's very unlikely we'd be offering ala carte. However, given that we're not launching them all at the same time, it is certainly possible we may have different versions of subscriptions.

-- [P2] What is this I hear about a price for Web-Only Content?
According to this D&Di News Article Wizards of the Coast will be providing an option for D&D fans that only want Dragon and Dungeon magazines as well as a few bonus tools. The breakdown of this option is as follows:

Web-Content Only Subscription Package:
12 Months = $59.40 ($4.95 per month)
3 Months = $19.95 ($6.65 per month)
1 Month = $7.95 ($7.95 per month)

-- [P3] What is the current pricing model on the Virtual Minis?
In this area also, I do not believe there has been public announcement yet.
The song model from I-tunes is certainly an interesting model.

-- [P4] Why do we have to purchase 3d mini's and why aren't they part of the monthly fee?

According to this recently released D&Di Article 3D Virtual Miniatures will be part of the subscription.

Your subscription to the Game Table will give you access to unlimited copies of all of the miniatures we have produced. We no longer have any active plans to have micro-transactions in this product at launch, though we may add them over time, especially as part of Adventure or Module products.

Old Answer
The decisions regarding the sale of the Vminis as micro transactions added on top of the general subscription is one that has been in the plans for a very long time (as far as I remember at least as far as I joined the project, in March 2007). My task is to help coordinate the technology of the clients applications to accomplish this business plan, so my answers can only be driven by this role, and I can't provide much input on the subject you are raising.

-- [P5] Do you have any idea what additional passes cost?
I do not believe this information is public yet, and it is not for me to make it public

[highlight]--[P6] When does the free trial end?[/highlight]
We currently believe that we will launch our subscription service at some point in October. So September is the last full month of the free trial and this month’s compilations will be the last full free issues of Dragon and Dungeon Magazines that we make available. We probably will not be done testing our Ecommerce and Entitlements system in time to launch by October 1st, so you’ll probably get a couple of extra articles for free.
[/INDENT]
General D&Di:
[INDENT]-- [GQ1] Where is the D&DI applications, how come I can't find them to download?
As mentioned in Ampersand column here, the client applications will be added into the D&DI mix later, so there will be no program to download on release day, as the initial D&DI offering will be web based.

When the applications will become available, there will be a link and indications on how to download them.

To be able to download them, you will need to have a D&DI account. You will not need to be a subscriber though.

-- [GQ2] What does the full subscription cost include?
The plan is for the subscription to include --
- All Dragon and Dungeon content we produce during your subscription.
- The Online Compendium. The database that fuels the Compendium would include data from all official books and e-magazines.
- The Character Visualizer that allows you to create 2d and 3d images of your character.
- The Character Builder that allows you to create a digital character sheet. This application will draw from the same database as the Compendium, which means that you eventually need just the one stop-shop to refer to material from all the official books and e-magazines.
- The Digital Game Table and Dungeon Builder which allows you to create dungeons and play in them with other people online. The Game Table will very likely include a starter's set of Virtual Minis and Dungeon Tiles to start you off.
- 3D Virtual Minis for use on the game table.
- Bonus Tools which include an Encounter Generator as well as an Ability Generator.

-- [GQ3] What is included in the Web-Content Subscription?
- All Dragon and Dungeon content we produce during your subscription.
- The Online Compendium. The database that fuels the Compendium would include data from all official books and e-magazines.
- Bonus Tools which include an Encounter Generator as well as an Ability Generator.

-- [GQ4] What doesn't the subscription include?
- Additional virtual minis and dungeon tiles that we produce. These likely would be sold separately. not as of September 2nd. Virtual Minis will now be included in the subscription.
- E-adventures that we produce for the Game Table (these would likely come with their own set of v-minis and d-tiles necessary to play the adventure). Sold separately.
- E-book .pdfs. Sold separately.
- Back-issues of Dragon and Dungeon that were produced before your subscriptions. Sold separately.

-- [GQ5] So I will extract information for ease of reading, and you can correct me if I am wrong. All official monsters will be 2D tokens, All tokens will be free for subscribers, Subscribers get some free 3D v-minis based on the official monsters, Subscribers can buy special 3D v-minis not in official products. Does that sum it up correctly?
For most of it yes. The exact link between V-Minis and official monsters is still up in the air. Technically, there will always be a default stat block for any new V-Mini. Knowing if this stat block comes from an official published monsters or will be made ad-hoc is up to R&D.
So as an example, a mini called Daring Rogue may be appearing in the D&D Game Table as the representation of the Human Bandit from the MM, or may have it's own stats created by R&D as Daring Rogue.

-- [GQ6] What is the order in which the applications will be released?
Someone asked about what the likely order of release would be for the applications. This list assumes the Compendium is already out there.

a) Character Visualizer -- this application is currently the closest to being done.
b) Character Builder -- this application is also close to being done, but slightly farther away than the Character Visualizer. I understand that for many people, the Character Builder would be great to have as soon as possible...if we can get it out first, we will, but the way that things look right now, it's likely to be second.
c) Game Table and Dungeon Builder -- many people are very excited about the Game Table...but it is also the most complex of all of our applications, as well as the one that needs the most "game" and user polish of all of our applications. This is the application that will take the most time to complete and for which the schedule is least reliable..."is it done" is not the only question that needs to be answered, but also "is it fun?"

-- [GQ7] Is there any ETA on when the applications will become available?
I'd love to be able to give an ETA, but we can't yet. We know we will have a closed beta and then an open beta, and we are working on getting those ready. I know this is frustrating, but there is a lot of work to do in different domains. As slunk731 mentions in it's post, we have certainly underestimated the amount of time all this requires.

-- [GQ8] Is there a spot that I can log onto for all of the lateset info on DDi (besides the forums) that WoTC has put up?
D&Di News
As well as:
Ampersand's columns
Design and development columns
Interview at RPG Virtual Tabletop
Chirs Perkins' Gamespy interview
D&D Insider at D&D Experience

-- [GQ9] Do any of the DDi apps run on Windows Vista?
Yes, they all should.

-- [GQ10] I desperately hope that the VMiniatures will not be random, that I will be able to buy the exact ones I want when i need them. Random boosters suck. I have never bought the random mini packs, I only buy singles at my local store, to represent the exact monsters I need in my games.
We have clearly stated that, even if at some point using random distribution was considered (after all, a business always need to consider all its options), it has been clearly discarded.

-- [GQ11] Why are we charging extra for v-minis?
WotC is no longer charging extra for Virtual Miniatures, they will be included as part of the full subscription.
Old Answer
We're charging extra for v-minis because we have a cost associated with producing the v-mini that isn't accounted in our subscription price.

I'm happy to get more into this conversation and release more information as we get a little closer to the Game Table being released. Specific info about how many v-minis we'll give away for free and what v-minis are included in the initial giveaway.

-- [GQ12] What if I don't buy the extra v-minis?
Virtual miniatures will be part of the full subscription and there will always be a 2d token you can use which has the image of the monster.

-- [GQ13] Aren't the 3D V-minis basically carbon copies of the real life D&D minis?
Not necessarily. For example, the beholder really floats in mid air, unlike the real miniature We also do plan to create V-Minis in the future that simply can never be done physically.

We have looked into [3d laser scanners] and have discarded the option early on. The technology needs to mature for small objects.

-- [GQ14] Will we be able to change the color in the clothing and items how ever they want for the V-minis?
This is not doable for VMiniatures, but this is exactly what the character visualizer will allow you to do for the characters (i.e. what we call the custom V-Miniatures).

-- [GQ15] I am curious if the community at large would be able to contribute to the 3d V-mini library graphically.
At that stage, we do not have plan to support 3D custom content from the community, but we are aware that it is something the community would like to have. Our focus though is to launch with what we have now, which does not include 3D custom content

-- [GQ16] The 3D V-minis are not animated, correct?
This is correct. The custom character in the character visualizer has animation to select a specific pose, but in the D&D Game Table, the resulting custom V-Mini or the monsters V-minis are not animated.

-- [GQ17] I have purchased a VMini, will I be able to place as many of that mini as I like on my game table? Asking a customer to buy multiple versions of a physical object is one thing, but there is no intrinsic cost to the manufacturer in allowing me to use multiple copies of a digitized 3d image. If we are asked to do this, I would balk, for it would feel like exploitation.
I do not think the exact model about V miniature usage has been made public yet, and this is not for me to do so here.
The only thing I can confirm at that stage is that the 3D map tiles will have unlimited usage.
So if you buy a 3D statue tile, for example, all the statue tiles in your dungeons will be shown in 3D.

Also, keep in mind that through the Character visualizer, you can generate Custom Virtual Miniatures of your characters, and use those in the D&D Game Table.

-- [GQ18] What if I buy Virtual minis and then cancel my subscription?
If you cancel your subscription you can still benefit from the 3D pieces (Miniature or Tiles) that you have bought.
If you participate to a D&D Game Table session, all such 3D assets a participant has are pooled to the benefits of everybody. You can play with guest passes, still own 3D assets, and see the 3D Miniature or 3D tiles you have bought (and all other players of the same game session can see them too, even if you are the only one to have bought them)

-- [GQ19] How customizable are the tokens? Does anyone know? Have they indicated?
Monster tokens will come with the D&D Game Table. Some of the monsters will be associated with a Virtual Miniature and can be seen in 3D. As tokens, all the monsters from the Monster Manual 1 and other publications will be there (for example, the new monsters/NPC from Keep on the shadowfell), and we will regularly update with tokens representing new monsters from the published material.

The DM can add custom tokens in the D&D Game Table, and save them from one session to another, or create collection of their own tokens.
At launch, there will be a mechanism to customize the tokens data sheet based on a XML file template, and later, more sophisticated customization options will be provided

It will also be possible to customize the token appearance with a 2D image, and/or assign a 3D VMini you own to any custom token.

A DM will be able to create custom tokens of different sizes, that can be assigned a custom JPG image and possibly any Vmini representation from the ones available to the participants. This custom token can then be associated to a data sheet that can be imported from an external source. In the future, the encounter Builder will allow to create these data sheets files to facilitate creation of custom monsters. In the meantime, we do plan to have some default custom monsters data sheet templates available included with the application at launch.

Another available capability for the DM is to take an official monster game piece, and slightly alter its data sheet information. You can then add this modified monster in your custom collection, to be re-used when you need it, in this game or any other.

-- [GQ20] Could a third party publisher sell down loadable components for the virtual game table, i.e. virtual mini's, dungeon tiles and already build dungeons for the game table? I'm just wondering if such digital components are also covered by the GSL?
From the technical point of view, users can generate maps for others to use with the Dungeon Builder.

The D&D Game Table will offer basic options to "export" an adventure file, so that others could use it too.

Later, the encounter builder will provide more advanced tools to package an adventure together.

Regarding creation of Virtual Miniatures or Tiles, there are no plans I know of at launch to allow community created content in that area.

I do not know about the rights to sell such content though. This is a question that needs to go in the GSL forum there.

-- [GQ21] Is there any truth behind what I have heard, which is that DDi will support D&D 3.5?
D&D Insider is supporting 4th Edition, for example the Character Builder (to create character sheet), the Rules Compendium or the online Magazines are specific to 4th Edition.

There are some elements of D&D Insider, like the character visualizer, the dungeon builder or the D&D Game Table, that are more generic, and could be used with other RPG Game Systems.

-- [GQ22] My concern is, as a DM, what V-minis will be allocated to the game. I dont want to use a Kobold to represent a Dragon or a Elf to represent a Giant. Will D&D Insider contain the same information/V-Minis as the Monster Manual, Players Handbook and DM's Guide?
D&D Insider will not have v-minis for every single monster present in the Monster Manual or future monster material. We will have a lot of them, but not all of them.

-- [GQ23] If I purchase an e-adventure, will I be able to use the v-mini's and dungeon tiles that come with that adventure in my own custom built adventures?
Yes. If you acquire those with an adventure, their usage will not be restricted to that adventure only.

-- [GQ24] Via D&Di I will be able to refer to my physical books or PDF, or b) that the complete reference (as it apppears in the manual) will be available in the D&Di applications?
The Compendium and the Character Builder both ultimately derive their info from the same database. This database will contain the exact info the book contains in regards to feats, powers, skills, race info, etc. (sometimes the database will even be more current, due to errata). Neither the Compendium nor the Character Builder are electronic versions of the printed books...we will be selling .pdfs of our printed books separately.

-- [GQ25] If I stop my subscription (say I can't afford it one month) and start back up at a later date, will I lose v-content I have purchased (adventures, minis, tiles, objects to place on the v-table)?
No, you will not lose v-content you have already purchased if your subscription lapses.

-- [GQ26] "I want to know exactly what will happen when I stop paying my monthly fee. Will I lose everything? Will I get to export jpgs of dungeons that I've created? Will I be able to use the client apps (unlikely)? Will I retain access to the magazine articles released while I was subscribed?"
No, you will not lose everything. Assuming you've downloaded/saved a copy of the magazines, you will still be able to view those magazine articles. You will get to export .jpgs of the dungeon. In general, you will be able to use the client applications, although you will not be able to connect to the server (D&D Game Table) nor will you be able to get new data/content (Char Builder, Char Visualizer)

--[GQ27] What I was mostly curious about, is will there be a method do upgrade a monster quickly and easily (and it doing the math) with any of the tools?
D&DI Insider is designed to enhance the game play, to connect players that can't meet face to face, and save time for the DM.

We can't do everything at once, though, and upgrading monsters quickly is not part of the initial/launch offerings in the D&D Insider applications.

It is certainly something we have in mind for the future though. For now we are focusing on getting our initial products out the door.

-- [GQ28] I use an overhead projector and minis in my face-to-face sessions.
The D&D Game Table will provide some tools to support this kind of use.

-- [GQ29] Will I be able to store data locally from the character builder/ visualizer and the cartographer? Or will all player data be stored on the server?
You will be able to store data locally indeed.

-- [GQ30] And finally: What is the background behind the descision to use a windows only solution, if there are well established 3d engines around that work on multipople platforms (several of which also provide web plug-ins)? Right now my only guess would be that they wanted to use that .net code from D&D online... which would also explain the delays
We are using .Net and we are using a 3D Game Engine that Wizards already had before we started this project, and that was DirectX driven.

There are no links whatsoever with D&D Online, as D&D Insider applications are not a game, but mainly tools to enhance the PnP Role Playing experience.

-- [GQ31] So the Brand Manager says all mosnters from all core publications including the e-zines will be in the tools, but you say otherwise? Who should we believe?
Both are right, one is talking about tokens, the other about Virtual Miniatures.

The D&D Game Table differentiates between a game piece and it's representation.

All Monsters from core publications will be added to the D&D Game Table as base game pieces (i.e. tokens).

Some of those monsters will also have a 3D Virtual Miniature. We do not plan to have one Virtual Miniature for each monster published.

The D&D Game Table will have a mechanism for you to assign a Virtual Miniature representation to a monster that does not have any, if you want to, or to create your own custom monsters, using either a token with a custom image, or an existing Virtual Miniature you have.

-- [GQ32] Will there be RPGA sanctioned events or Living campaigns run through the Game Table? That would be totally awesome if it was because I live in a small town and dont get to game very much myself.
I will not be talking for the RPGA, but this certainly has been envisioned.

-- [GQ33] What happens down the track when the next version of D&D is released. Will I still be able to run my 4th Edition campaign using D&Di or will I be forced to repurchase the new edition in order to continue using D&Di?
One of the D&D Insider application is specific to 4th Edition: the Character Builder. The other applications (Dungeon Builder, Character Visualizer and D&D game Table) are generic enough to be used with any rule system. D&D Insider is a complement to the D&D game. When you are using the D&D Insider applications, there is no check to see if you own a specific rule set, and no plans to do so that i know of.
[/INDENT]
Game Table:
[INDENT]-- [GT1] What is the difference for this feature between the subscriber and non-subscriber.
Non subscribers can only join a game session with a guest pass. Guest pass only allows player access

Subscribers can start game sessions as DM or play as player at any time. The Game Table will have links to the Rules compendium to check the details of the rules available online.

-- [GT2] I read in another thread that there would also be a limited number of sessions you could play per month, but this was not an official post so I do not know the authenticity of it. Has anyone else heard this from an official source?
If you are a subscriber, there are no limits to the number of sessions you can play each month. For various reasons, one session can't go beyond 24 hours, but if you feel like it, you can start a new one right after the previous one stopped.

-- [GT3] Will DMs and Players be able to "share" their V-minis during a session?
Yes. DMs and players will be able to share their VMinis and tiles during a session. This will happen automatically and is handled by the game table application.

Sharing VMiniatures happens during a game session, and you are sharing your assets only with those that participate to the same game session, and only for the duration of this game session.

You are not transfering ownership of your Virtual miniatures with everybody else in any way.

-- [GT4] If for some reason a party member leaves the game, perhaps due to character death, Real Life or any other reason, does he take his virtual mini's home with him, or do they stay with the game until the session is over?
He would take the virtual miniatures and 3D mapping elements (we call them 3D tiles) he owns with him, and the game pieces that he owns would revert back to tokens, while the 3D tiles would revert to flat tiles.

-- [GT5] Will tokens have an editable "notes" field in which I can copy/paste my own custom notes?
Yes, there will be note field available with the game pieces you can put on the D&D Game Table.

-- [GT6] Also, will I be able to create and import as many custom 3D minis as I want or will there be a limit? Essentially, I'd like to have the ability to create custom NPC minis rather than use the premade minis from miniature sets. I feel that custom NPC minis will really add a lot to the perceived unique characteristics of the NPC.
There will be a way to assign a custom Virtual Miniature to a custom token.
This said, the custom Virtual Miniature are taxing the game engine more than the standard virtual miniatures.

The base design is to support between 10 and 15 players in your game session. We are planning for a reasonable number of characters, not for entire armies.

Virtual miniatures are designed somewhat differently to allow a higher number to be usable, but once again, the D&D Game Table is done mainly to support a Role Playing Game, not large crowds or armies.

So there will be a limit to the number of custom virtual miniatures you can use, and this limit will probably increase according to the users' hardware. This limit is not set yet, but should not in any way impair the basic functions of the D&D Game Table to support a Role Playing Game.

-- [GT7] Wil the Game Table do things like track damage, decide if the character gets hit, calculate saves etc.
The D&D Game Table will not adjudicate rules.

There will be some basic tools to track data, like hit points, but answering if an attack hit or misses will not be automatically adjudicated. Players and DM will do exactly like they do on a normal table, discuss it, possibly add the current combat modifiers and the character or the monster that has been hit can have it's hit points updated on the data sheet by the player that controls it.

The calculation of defenses or skill bonuses for a character can be generated using the character Builder application. If you have used this application to create your character, you will be able to upload a data sheet for your character that has the precalculated values. The Game Table will offer you preset shortcuts to roll the right dice with your calculated skill bonuses for example.

-- [GT8] Will the gametable allow a GM to set what is visible to each player or will all players see the same thing?
The Game table will not allow different type of views for different players at launch. Our goal is to replicate the "game Table" concept online, and when you play with your friends, you all see the same things, even if in some cases, some DMs go to great length to keep some hidden knowledge. In our case, we stick with the most common concept of player managing metagame information themselves.

In the same way, the VOIP system at launch is mainly geared to connect all the players together. The DM can have the ability to mute a specific player, but this is more a control tool than a game tool for now. We did have plan to allow separate group communication, but these did not make it to the launch features.

-- [GT9] I think one good way to get the community more behind the game table would be to allow people to load in their own models for monster, and if we can get the specs, for characters. This could cut into the 'virtual minis' I've been hearing about, but really, which is more important, getting a few bucks off of players, or having a rallying point that draws in the community at large?
We are not planning at that stage to allow the community to load 3D models into the D&D Game Table.

This said, every game piece token can be represented by an image that can be loaded by the users, and each custom token will have an XML import feature that allow uploading custom stats blocks or character related data(or what we call more generally data sheet).

This data sheet allows to interact with some of the features of the Game Table, like Hit points tracking, initiative bonus or die rolls.

Even if the D&D Game Table is designed primarily for D&D and 4th Edition, we do want it to be flexible and open to any RPG on the long run.

-- [GT10] If we have a paid subscription to DDI, is there any manner of printing out tokens for regular real-life use.
There is no specific function to print out tokens out of the D&D Game Table. From the character visualizer you can create tokens/portraits from your character.

-- [GT11] How do the game passes work for the non-subscribers?
The basic design for Guest passes is that One Guest pass is designed to allow to play in One game session.

To accomodate various possible random factors (server outage is one of those, but definitely not the only thing that can happen.. for example, it is also possible that a DM starts a session and has to stop it after a few minutes for personal reasons, after his players have used up their guest passes).

We have established this 24 hour window to account for these various cases that can happen and can't be foreseen, and allow the player that had planned for some game time to find other games sessions and be able to play after using a Guest Pass.

Once a guest pass is used, it is used up. The plan, once Guest passes are introduced, is to provide subscribers with a certain number of guest passes on a monthly base, so in some way this is an ongoing benefit of the subscription.

-- [GT12] Will the 24 hour pass count down from the moment it is issued, or is it 24 hours of play time?
It will be 24 hours from the moment it is issued.

-- [GT13] Will people buying one-time passes get refunds for things like this if a game is disrupted due to some sort of downtime with the Game Table!?
One time pass (or guest pass as we call them) will grant a user a 24 hour window of access to the Game Table as a player. So you could even play two or three game sessions during that span of time, if you want to.

We do not plan for Guest Pass refunds if we have server issues, but we do plan to extend this time if our servers are down according to the duration of the down-time.

Obviously, in the first place, we will do our best to not have the servers be down.

There may be some scheduled down time maintenance, and we will do our best to communicate those well in advance, as well as rotate the maintenance time so as to not always impact the best gaming time of the same geographic area.

-- [GT14] Do you have any idea what additional passes cost?
I do not believe this information is public yet, and it is not for me to make it public.

-- [GT15] I heard that you can play multiple characters from one account at the same time (i.e. I can play two characters), is this true?
Yes, this is true. The D&D Game table allows for a player to handle multiple characters (A companion for example or another player's character if that player can't make it to the session...)

-- [GT16] I have purchased the H1 module, but I have not seen anything in the book that looks like an unlock code. I know of nothing that has been stated, but I was wondering if WoTC is considering releasing Premade gametable versions of published products like the new 4e H series, and also if you have considered making the VMinis for the exact monsters used in said premade adventures available with said gametable versions (if indeed this has been considered).
Yes, we have considered it, and we are still working on the exact details, but there will be premade digital products related to the published adventures. Like in the case of the book, the digital product enhance the published adventures, and do not replace them.

-- [GT17] What if a regular group is missing a player one night and there is someone out there wishing they could play? It would be great if there was a facility to put these folks together
The D&D Game Table will have a lobby where you can find "chairs" in a game session (the term "chair" is used to match the term Table, but we are talking about virtual chairs of course), and Dungeon Masters can publish their game session information in the D&D Game Table and expose it to players looking for game sessions.

Dungeon Masters will be able to "lock" chairs for their regular players, as well as keep chairs open to all.
They will also be able to mix and match as needed.

So for example, if a DM wants to play online with his regular group of 4 players, but they are looking for another player that could be available at that time, the D&D game Table lobby system will allow that. The DM will have the possibility to "lock" four chairs with an access code (that his regular players can then use to directly connect to his session), while keeping the fifth chair open for any player that would be available.

At launch, the lobby system integrated with the D&D Game table will be fairly basic, but should fill the core function of allowing players to find game sessions.

-- [GT18] Will the game table list the players signed in and have a graphic indicating when a player is speaking (such as a speaker icon)?
This is indeed planned if the player is talking as a character. The character he is talking for will have such visual indication for the other participants.

-- [GT19] Will the only way to communicate using the Game Table be by the voice over IP?
We will also have an integrated text chat, because we are aware that not everybody can use VOIP in the best conditions. Plus, we understand that there will be people that will prefer to not use VOIP for individual preferences, but we strongly believe that in that day and age, integrated voice communication had to be part of the launch features.

-- [GT20] What options will we have available through the chat interface? Whisper/PM? Multiple personalities? OOC?
Whisper and multiple personalities (that includes a kind of OOC type identification) will be there...
for the rest, the functions mentioned are certainly envisioned, but not necessarily for launch.. We do plan to use the beta to gauge the features the community feels are missing and prioritize the next steps accordingly...

-- [GT21] Will the Game Table support sound effects?
Support of sounds effects is in our backlog, and certainly will be something we will look at closely for future upgrades (I myself have been using sounds for my own games for years now, and I can tell you that it was hard for me to have to keep that item in the backlog).

-- [GT22] Will the game table support webcams?
No, we do not have plans for launch to support webcams.

-- [GT23] Can you mix and match dungeon tiles from different sets at the virtual table?
The Digital sets are different from the published sets.

There is a basic set of digital set of tiles that will be available to all subscribers, and provides enough various tiles to create map levels. There are 3D digital tiles that can be acquired individually and will be displayed in 3D in your session of the D&D Game Table.

Anybody owning a specific 3D digital tile will allow any other participant to their session to see this tile 3D in the D&D Game Table

-- [GT24] Has any thought been given to using the Game Table app in LAN applications?
You can't really use a local LAN type setting for the D&D Game Table. If your LAN has Internet connection, though, you should be able to set something up in that aspect, but you'll need at least one subscription, and enough Guest passes to cover for your players using it.

-- [GT25] Does anyone know if you can play on the D&D Game Table using 2D maps? And I don't just mean 2D maps made from the same old dungeon tiles that's given out by WoTC. Can you draw your own maps, and then play on them? The reason I ask this is because if I play an RPG on here other than D&D, which WoTC supports 100%, such as a superhero RPG, I wouldn't want it to be 3D because all the minis would be of fantasy heroes, villains, and monsters and not of things from other genres such as super heroes or science-fiction stuff.
There will be basic drawing tools in the D&D Game Table at launch. You can also load maps created from the Dungeon Builder, where you can set your own custom background texture (one texture per level) and/or use the D&D digital tiles and/or use basic draw features.
These are layered in the order I have provided: background texture, tiles and drawing, so you can mix them up, the latest hiding the earliest. Most of the functionalities revolve around the D&D tiles, and we will regularly update the available tiles, with more base tiles or 3D tiles, and more variations possible as we go.

The D&D Game Table is designed to be fairly generic and accomodate any type of RPG.

-- [GT26] Also, from all the videos and screenshots I've seen so far, all the game tables look the same. They all have a black background and a gray floor with minimal marks showing, for instance, water. Will you be able to change this to be colorful and put whatever you want in it?
Textures and drawing can certainly make the maps more colorful. The number of tiles available will certainly improve the colorfullness, and we will release more of them as we go. The black background is the main background planned for launch.

-- [GT27] Will you be able to post your game up early with a start time (and maybe end time) so that substitute outsiders can show up to the game on time not interrupting a session?
As a player, can I sign on early to reserve a spot in a game for the time I'm free to play?
If a game is posted early, will there be a way to contact the DM at least before the game starts to at least get basic introductions?

We will not have, when we launch, a system to post a game early with a start time. When a DM starts a session, the session becomes visible for people in the lobby, provided the DM has set his session with at least one "open" chair (the DM can lock chairs with an access code provided to their friends, and these sessions will only appear to the players using that access code). We do want to improve this aspect with scheduling capabilities in the future.

During a game session, a DM can at any time publish a new chair, if he needs to get a new player in because another left. This does not interrupt the session, though it may take the DM away for a few moments as he or she sets up the new chair, and possibly checks the new player out before accepting him or her in the session.

-- [GT28] When the table does make it out, will you be able to share battlemap layouts with other subscribers? Not if they're connected to the same game you are, but something that would be up and downloadable?
Yes, you will be able to publish adventures file from the Game Table. You can save them on your hard drive, and then share the files for others to use if you are so inclined.

-- [GT29] My impression is that file sharing is not part of the Game table. The vaults would be locked to user and so on. It clearly is possible in the meeting place that Urls perhaps even maps could be posted, however not sure how the hoped for meet and greet will be set up.
This is correct, file sharing is not part of the Game Table, but the Game Table will allow to publish an adventure file locally.
Then when a DM starts a session, he or she can load any adventure file he or she has access to.

-- [GT30] What about conjurations and zones created by spells? Will there be an object that can be placed on the table to represent them in a conenient manner, or will these things all need to be remembered by the DM?
Each player will have access to a marker that can indicate or points a specific square or a group of squares.
It is also possible to draw on the map to indicate more lasting effects areas.

-- [GT31] Is drawing the only way Game Table will display Areas of Effect, or will there be standard templates (like tiles) that can be placed?
No, drawing is not the only way. The marker feature can extend to a group of squares to show an area of effect. Some tiles could indeed be used to mark areas.. for example there is a firewall tile that can absolutely used to display such a fire related area of effect, and as we go there will be even more tiles available to that effect.
[/indent]
Character Visualizer:
[INDENT]-- [CV1] What is the difference for this feature between the subscriber and non-subscriber.
Non subscribers can load characters file done by others, print wallpapers of those, create characters with some limited assets and functionalities.

Subscribers will have full access to all available assets and customization options, and can export Virtual Miniatures, as well as get updates for the software when new content is available.

-- [CV2] Lastly (this has just occurred to me) there is in 4e the ability to adapt any MM humanoid or other creature to be a PC race. How will that work in the Character modeler. Will I be able to make a gnoll pc and represent him on the v-table if I don't have a gnoll v-mini? How is that going to work?
When the character visualizer launches, it will support the eight PHB races, and will not include the races from the monster manual.
If at any point we release an update with the gnoll as a race (as in your example), then yes you can certainly create gnolls and load them in the D&D Game Table.
The character visualizer custom Miniatures, though, are designed to be used for player characters or major NPCs, and normal Virtual miniatures for common monsters will always be more easy to use, and less taxing on your system.

-- [CV3] Does this mean visualizer will be a one time download not requiring connection to WotC servers, or that it can ONLY be done by connecting to WotC servers?
The visualizer will be a one time download, that will be then have updates when we release new content. The full usage and options of the application, including updates, will only be available if the user is a subscriber and online while using it.

When used offline, the functionalities will be limited. They will include for example, being able to load a character that has been done previously, to take a screenshot, and do some limited changes for example.
[/INDENT]
Character Builder:
[INDENT]-- [CB1] What is the difference for this feature between the subscriber and non-subscriber?
Non subscribers can print character sheets from characters created with the character builder.

Subscribers can level up 4th Edition Characters, and will have calculation functionalities based on ability modifiers, levels, items equipped... Subscribers can print power cards .

-- [CB2] Will the Character Builder be Web Based?
The character Builder is not web based. it is a windows application.

On another note:

The requirements currently posted are the recommended specs for the two application based on our 3D graphic engine (the Character visualizer and the D&D Game Table). The minimum requirements for these two applications are not yet fully fleshed out, but we already know that at the minimum, you will need a graphic card supporting shader 1.1

The minimum requirements for the character builder and the Dungeon Builder are closer to the minimum requirements for Windows XP SP2. If you can run Windows XP SP2, you *should* be able to run these two applications. I say *should* because we have not yet run these applications through all the QA loops to confirm this.

-- [CB3] Are you going to be able to use the character generator offline? I loved the E-Tools and the ability to install it on your computer and make your character up and then pull it up during gaming night and do a print preview to see your character sheet and use it while you play. The place I play does not have internet access, so this new character generator would have to be offline use as well as online use. Does anybody know if it can be used offline?
When you are offline, there will be limited functionalites. For example, you can't level up a character offline, but you can print a character sheet from a character file created with the Character Builder application.
When you are online, and a D&DI subscriber, you will get the full benefit of the application (leveling up your character, as well as printing your character's detailed power cards).

-- [CB4] Will I be able to print my characters?
The Character Builder application will allow people to print character sheet as well as, for subscribers, the power cards for their characters.

-- [CB5] Will the character builder support RPGA characters?
The character builder will include a field to store RPGA number as well as a free RPGA related comment field.

We will always look at how to best integrate RPGA OP with these new tools, and have kept that in mind from the start. For example, the Dungeon Builder should be useful to help people generate adventure maps for the RPGA adventures.

We have many things to do though, first and foremost launching working applications that do what they are basically supposed to do well. Once this is established, we can then proceed to deeper integration, especialy like those you mention, using barrcode scanner technology.

I am a big fan of this kind of technology for OP, but we have to get our foundations right first.
[/INDENT]
Dungeon Builder:
[INDENT]-- [DB1] What is the difference for this feature between the subscriber and non-subscriber.
Non-subscribers can build and print 2d maps

Subscribers can import these into game table.

-- [DB2] Would we be able to Print the maps for on table use, or be stuck to use the tools online for the created maps?
The Dungeon Builder can be used offline to create tactical maps, and can be used without being a D&DI subscriber.

It is mainly an evolution of the previous Dungeon Tile Builder tool offered in the tool sections of the D&D web site, but the map output can be used in the D&D Game Table.

Unlike the tile builder though, it is a windows application, not a web application.

-- [DB3] Will the software allowing the construction of miniatures-scale D&D maps have a companion program or alternate mode intended for world map design, or will we still have to use sketches/3rd party resources for that?
For launch, the main focus of the D&DI Insider software designed to create maps (the Dungeon Builder) is mainly to focus on tactical maps, using digital tiles.

It will be possible to put a custom background image on the maps, and use this in some ways to represent larger maps, like city or outdoor maps, but the images will have to be generated with other programs.

-- [DB4]Will the dungeon builder have outdoor tiles??
Not at launch, the tiles are mainly dungeon tiles. But like the D&D Tile product, there will be expansions including outdoors tiles.
At launch, you can use image texture to create your own outdoor or wilderness map if you want.

With the Dungeon Builder you can create maps that use a custom texture of your own choosing. So it could be some city street picture or wilderness area.

As we expand our offering we will offer digital tiles that are wilderness or city tiles, much like our current D&D Tiles product does. For launch, though, the digital tiles we have are mainly dungeon tiles.

Using your own custom content, as well as probably some of the D&D maps textures, you will be certainly able to design wilderness or city adventures.

-- [DB5] Will digital tiles be made available by WOTC? If so, will there be a fee?
Yes, some tiles will be available as part of the subscription, amd others as micro transactions. The fee for those is not yet known
[/INDENT]
Rules Compendium:
[INDENT]-- [RC1] What is the difference for this feature between the subscriber and non-subscriber.
For subscribers, the Compendium offers detailed text of the 4th Edition core rules mechanical elements (a power, a class, a race, a feat, a skill, a magic item...). The combat chapter, for example, is not part of the compendium. There will be some information about some of the combat related information, like conditions, in the game table, but the D&D Insider Compendium is not meant to replace the rule book.

-- [RC2] Will the Rules Compendium provide the page numbers and book where the rule can be found?
Once it is available, the compendium will not provide pages numbers, but the reference to the book the element is printed in.

-- [RC3] Will the Rules Compendium be multilingual?
We do not plan to have multilingual rules database for the D&DI launch.

It is certain that we will be looking into this as soon as we can after launch (and in fact we do our best to prepare for multilingual support already)

-- [RC4] "I do have a question/reques about the compendium. Even though it will not have full rules, but "rules elements" why were page numbers taken out?"
We decided not to have page numbers because we occasionally print different editions of our books, and the page numbers between editions might not match up. For example, a Player's Handbook published this year might have different page numbers than that same Player's Handbook that's reprinted years later.

-- [RC5] "On the front of the display of the elements itself, it may be needed to have some sort of advanced search where you can find all items matching both Elf and Wizard, or matching either Elf or Wizard for example so you can make a more defined search with multiple terms."
We absolutely agree. Eventually the Compendium will have many different "search filters" The first version will not. There will be an article going up about the Compendium and our plans for it along with the Compendium release.

-- [RC6] I was pretty sure that the compendium wasn't going to contain rules, but point you the rules in whatever book they were part of, so I'm unclear as to why there seems to be a camp here suggesting that buy having DDi, you won't need to buy the new books for new material. Could someone clarify this for me?
The compendium will contain mechanical rules elements, i.e. the details of a feat or power, or the information about a class or race. It will not provide details about character creation rules or combat rules for example.
For those that will be subscribing to D&D Insider when it starts, they will be able to see these detailed information. Others will see the power/feat/race/class,... name and be prompted to the book where that element has been printed in.
Parts of the Compendium will have free previews, much like all the D&D Insider components when they roll out.
[/INDENT]
Dragon & Dungeon
[Indent]-- [M1] What is the release schedule like for the Dragon and Dungeon magazines?
The current schedule is that at least one Dragon or Dungeon article will be released every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. In some case two or more articles will be released, but at least one will be made available throughout the month on those days.

The website is also going through a transition right now and things might slide for a couple of weeks, but we’re feeling pretty confident at this point that things are going to be ok.

-- [M2] Why can't I find the whole magazine, I just see a few articles?
Several times a week we are going to be revealing articles in PDF format for both Dragon and Adventures for Dungeon. At the end of the month we’ll be giving people fully compiled issues and [during the free period] this will be all free content.

-- [M3] Will we ever know when a specific article from the table of contents will be released?
Due to the realities of dealing with external submission plus an in-house team that has more priorities than just the magazines, we aren’t going to commit in advance to which Dragon and Dungeon articles come out on which days. Instead, our current schedule is to make sure that something new comes out every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and that a monthly compilation comes out at approximately the beginning of the month. We’ve been hitting this schedule pretty regularly with the exception of one one-day hiccup due to Gen Con.

[/indent]
My main RPGA character, pasted from the character builder summary window:

QUARREL, level 5
Elf, Ranger
Background: Dalelands

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 21, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 8.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 20 Fort: 15 Reflex: 20 Will: 17
HP: 48 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature, Acrobatics, Athletics, Perception, Stealth, Thievery.

FEATS
1 Sneak of Shadows
2 Weapon Proficiency (Greatbow)
4 Weapon Focus (Bow)

POWERS
1, At-Will: Twin Strike
1, At-Will: Nimble Strike
1, Encounter: Two-Fanged Strike
1, Daily: Split the Tree
2, Utility: Crucial Advice
3, Encounter: Thundertusk Boar Strike
5, Daily: Excruciating Shot

ITEMS
Hide armor, Adventurer's Kit, Flameburst Greatbow +1, Catstep Boots (heroic tier), Potion of Healing (heroic tier), Amulet of Protection +2, Silver Arrows, Climber's Kit, Thieves' Tools, Arrows (90), Journeybread, Waterskin
Mike Donais. Cryptozoic R&D

I'm having some trouble with my D&Di Subscription.

About a month ago (August 21st) I purchased a monthly subscription at D&Di to find out if it worths the trouble. I did like all the bonus options available but being in beta form, it was still missing some bits and pieces here and there so I decided to wait before I renewed my subscription.

I followed the instructions on stopping auto renew in D&Di FAQs but unfortunately when I try to open the My Subscription History link I get the following message:

Server Error

Error:

We are currently unable to perform the selected action. Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience. We have been notified and are already working to correct this issue as quickly as possible. Please click your browser's back button and try this action at a later time, or take a different action.

Error Number:  SYS_000001

Thus, I am unable to stop the service from auto-renewing and as a result a new order has been automatically made on my behalf with the status beeing Order Pending Payment.

Is there any way out of this issue? Is anyone experiencing the same problems?

Thank you in advance for any information you may be able to provide.

PS1. I apologise for posting this here, but I couldn't find a more relative thread and I decided against creating a new one. If it's misplaced please forward before removing the post.

PS2. It wasn't my wish to trouble the community with this, but the Email Us link in the Help section sends all my browsers into an endless loop (i.e. doesn't work properly).