Wednesday article

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
Where is it?

I really wish they would just realease the content once per month rather than saying 3 times a week. Unless wotc can improve the web side of things very few people will subscribe and I am one of those who is/was going to. I can understand the delays of the game table and other software as delays do happen in the software industry (which is not their industry). But written content for the online magazines should be a piece of cake to get produced and posted.

Very disappointed.

(but love 4E)
Where is it?

I really wish they would just realease the content once per month rather than saying 3 times a week. Unless wotc can improve the web side of things very few people will subscribe and I am one of those who is/was going to. I can understand the delays of the game table and other software as delays do happen in the software industry (which is not their industry). But written content for the online magazines should be a piece of cake to get produced and posted.

Very disappointed.

(but love 4E)

It's been Wed at WotC for a grand total of eight minutes. Be patient. You do realize also, the site is being buggy, which usually translates to new content?
Perhaps you are correct though during the run up to release the new contact was there from at least 7 am UK time which is 11pm on the West Coast.

Will see if anything materialises during the day (fingers crossed it does I really want the whole DDI thing to work).
I meant Content but the edit isn't working. (see what you mean by buggy)
Perhaps you are correct though during the run up to release the new contact was there from at least 7 am UK time which is 11pm on the West Coast.

Will see if anything materialises during the day (fingers crossed it does I really want the whole DDI thing to work).

Well, during the run, people were probably at the office around 11. Now that it's here, updates will probably be between 9 and 5 PST.
You're an optimist, I envy you
Not really, I'm more of a realist. This is an entirely new business model for them, and just looking at experienced webcomic which use this as a standard model, the update window tends to be normal business hours in the locale of the creators, and even then they still miss updates. It's a fact of life. If we're still seeing these problems with WotC in a month, or two months, then there's a problem.

Erm... 7am Wednesday in the UK is 11pm Tuesday night on the west coast.

I've been caught out by the time difference too. I reckon by about midnight tonight (GMT) it should be up.

Mind you, I'm still waiting for Mondays article to appear; acting in a somewhat dodgy manner they redated Fridays Yeenoghu article as Mondays.
It being early on the west coast should have nothing to do with it. If they don't have push scripts running to auto post things at a certain time, do they actually have *anyone* who knows how to run a website?

I don't like being one of the negative people, as I've really been excited by 4e and everything associated, but this is one more example of WOTC not giving a good showing of "value to come"...
The Wednesday articles on the Magic the Gathering section are always posted by 7am UK time (11pm the previous evening at WotC). If that's not going to be the case for the Dragon and Dungeon articles then WotC need to tell us so we're not expecting something that isn't going to happen.

I'm not annoyed about the lack of articles, I'm annoyed at the fact that Bill promised new articles every Monday, Wednesday and Friday and out of the first three days, only one deadline has been met. At the very least we deserve an explanation of what's going on.
He never, once, promised that they'd be up GMT, or any other time zone. Until midnight PDT, he still hasn't broken the Wed. deadline. Any expectations of delivery time were brought by the end user.
How did I know that when I checked the forum that someone would be *****ing that there is no article. They dont have to give a specific time and just because one department puts it up at a certain time does it mean others will.

There are legitimate gripes going on with D&DI and then there is this. At least give them the proper time window that they said before saying Wednesday's update is missed.
However those expectations were set by the excert articles which came out at about 7am UK time.

As someone else said if they are not being out pushed out at Midnight their time then they have far more serious issues with their web team than I thought they did.
Wow this was quite a friendly discussion till you showed up. I am dissappointed as I enjoyed the regular updates which were there early on the morning of the day they said they would be. It is also a dissapointment as it fans the flames of wotc hate that is dominating these boards (which I don't subscribe to)
However those expectations were set by the excert articles which came out at about 7am UK time.

As someone else said if they are not being out pushed out at Midnight their time then they have far more serious issues with their web team than I thought they did.

As I pointed out, when the previews were coming out, it was build-up for a launch. I've seen launches like this, there are often personell around at 11 PM local time in such build-ups. We are no longer in the crunch time, so the developers and site ops are more than likely back to normal hours, meaning we see updates when they get around to it. Contrary to popular belief, website do not need scripted updaters to be professional. They don't need content to be set, locked and loaded to go out at midnight.
Agreed but as they are apparently doing it for the Magic site (don't know myself as don't go there) then it should also be done here. However I am betting this will all be moot when we check the site tomorrow and there is still no content.

Here is hoping I am wrong
How did I know that when I checked the forum that someone would be *****ing that there is no article. They dont have to give a specific time and just because one department puts it up at a certain time does it mean others will.

There are legitimate gripes going on with D&DI and then there is this. At least give them the proper time window that they said before saying Wednesday's update is missed.

What you're saying is completely reasonable and if someone from WotC told us when we could expect the new content then it would be unfair to moan it's not a few hours earlier. However the same arguments were being made on Monday, people were saying "Oh, it's still 4PM in Seattle, give them time" and nothing was delivered. That makes me less responsive to anyone saying that it's not late yet.

Bear in mind this is the service that WotC are providing when they are still wanting to show us why we ought to subscribe to the service when it's charged for. If it's this bad now, what will it be like when we've already paid.**

** Despite everything so far, I still want to subscribe, I don't want WotC to put me off subscribing.
... However the same arguments were being made on Monday, people were saying "Oh, it's still 4PM in Seattle, give them time" and nothing was delivered. That makes me less responsive to anyone saying that it's not late yet.

Bear in mind this is the service that WotC are providing when they are still wanting to show us why we ought to subscribe to the service when it's charged for. If it's this bad now, what will it be like when we've already paid.**...

I agree with you on the 4pm thing. I see it as a % of the day type of thing. 5:30 am Seattle at the time of my post I wouldnt think anything is wrong. Now some says to me 4pm give them time.... They have had ample time to get it up something is wrong.
I am viewing this free period as if it were a games open beta. They are getting their processes down and fixing bugs, in this case human error. The quicker they get their act together the more confidence I will have. If delays and errors keep on going on it shows us that they are unable to adapt and fix problems. If they keep missing deadlines and keep having delays I fully agree that it will continue like that into the paid period.
I understand where you are with % of the day but WotC have never been in the habit of putting up items in the middle of the day, it's either there at the start of the day or it won't be there are all.

Good point about it being a beta period, I hadn't thought about it that way but then realised that WotC haven't actually written Dragon and Dungeon themselves before and haven't delivered anything this way before.

I guess this could be solved easily by someone from WotC posting to explain. I'm a bit disappointed that it didn't happen on Tuesday to be honest.
I agree with you on the 4pm thing. I see it as a % of the day type of thing. 5:30 am Seattle at the time of my post I wouldnt think anything is wrong. Now some says to me 4pm give them time.... They have had ample time to get it up something is wrong.
I am viewing this free period as if it were a games open beta. They are getting their processes down and fixing bugs, in this case human error. The quicker they get their act together the more confidence I will have. If delays and errors keep on going on it shows us that they are unable to adapt and fix problems. If they keep missing deadlines and keep having delays I fully agree that it will continue like that into the paid period.

QFT. Right now they're still working out the kinks. It is entirely possible that the Gnolls were supposed to go up on Monday. But if we continue to see stuff like the date change, I'm with you in calling shenanigans and whipping out the pitchforks and torches. I'll lead the charge, even.
Eh, cut'em some slack - the previews were always on time, they had a great start on Friday... and still need to get the GSL out, that's probably everybody's priority at WotC now and perhaps the webteam needs to make a GSL-Q&A portion on the website so they're not having as much time as they need.

GSL > Dragon

Cheers, LT.
GSL > Dragon

Cheers, LT.

Right except all this was supposed to be prepared and written well ahead of time, all they needed to do was make it live. Not what you call a great start.
the previews were always on time

No they weren't. Sometimes they were released 2 days later in place of something else. And that's for content where all they had to do was code the HTML, rather then write the material.
Yawn. Regardless, the fact that it isn't even up by noon on the east coast is pretty bloody pathetic. Not to mention we STILL don't technically even have a Monday article. e_e
I appreciate that no one, myself included is paying for these magazines yet. I view this "preview period" as just that, a chance to evaluate the quality of a new service before I decide to pay for it.

If these were still print magazines, the copy would have been ready and off to press at least two weeks ahead of time. If the articles are ready, it should be a simple matter to set a publish date/time and the content will go live automatically. That's how I do things on the Joomla-based site I run, and it's how I assumed they were putting out the preview material. It shouldn't matter if anyone's in the office or not.

If WotC wants to charge a subscription for Dungeon and Dragon, then the same deadline expectations should be met. People paying money for a product should get the product on time.

It is perfectly reasonable that there are problems and delays here at the beginning, so I'm not as upset as I could be. However I want to state this clearly for WotC:

You need to prove that you can meet deadlines BEFORE you start charging for the product.

The lack of an article up and ready early on Wednesday does not improve my perception of a company that has shown a history of:
a) pushing back release dates with little notice (most of DnDI)
b) missing revised released dates (Compendium)
c) forward dating releases to give the illusion of meeting a deadline (Friday/Monday's Demonomicon)

PLEASE Wizards, I want to believe in this product. Give me a reason to.
WotC admitted on the GRZ video yesterday that they have done a terrible job of managing our expectations and communicating with us about DDI. Well, here it is Wednesday, most of us were expecting new content, and there is none.

Instead of communicating with us and managing our expectations - nothing from WotC once again.

Baffling from a PR and marketing perspective, frankly, baffling.
I agree that the entire magazines should be ready for print at this time. That is to say, all of the articles should be done, and the writing staff should be working on the next issue. I would be very surprised if this was not the case. I work in publication, periodical media specifically, and deadlines are (no surprise) a top priority.
I can only reason that WoTC is having trouble with the technical side of the website. However, since they have been posting articles on this site for a long time, the new development should not be throwing them.

WoTC, I offer my help in this matter...give me the job, I will do my best and not just complain (even if that complaint is warranted).

by the way, I review these forums while at work, and I don't think it would take much if you had one of your own just pop in and give us an update. A small thing would do much to appease the masses.
Wednesday Article:
The Ashen Covenant
Fair dos, the Wednesday article has appeared (very late in the business day in Seattle) and it looks like it was well worth waiting for. So I won't expect to see the Friday article until Saturday morning my time, that's okay. But I am still disappointed at the lack of communication from WotC.
They have forgot to link it on the contents page as yet.
They have forgot to link it on the contents page as yet.

nm, I overlooked the word link in your post. Nothing to see here LOL
While looking at the Dragon ToC I noticed Roll vs. Role there. Wasn't that a Dungeon column? Since there are no columns listed at all for Dungeon now, does that mean it's going to be all adventures (or web expansions for adventures we have to buy) and no columns?

No more Save my Game, no more Dungeoncraft, no more Maps of Mystery?

Or is Dungeon just getting the usual neglect it seems to have been having since WotC took it back into the fold, and we might get some in the future on an a irregular basis, as an when they could be bothered.