Now that the DDI is up...

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
... shouldn't we have a new article on monday (today) for both Dragon and Dungeon?

I thought that we were supposed to get a new article every monday, wednesday and friday. The ones that are up are from last friday.
... shouldn't we have a new article on monday (today) for both Dragon and Dungeon?

I thought that we were supposed to get a new article every monday, wednesday and friday. The ones that are up are from last friday.

Well Dragon has two releases dated this day, as far as WotC goes it is still morning so it appears likely Dungeon can still meet the time stamp, they have perhaps 2 to 5 business hours to go (depending on when work shift ends).
Plans are always subject to change.
It is pretty pathetic they couldn't meet their first deadline. I'm really curious to see how they go with meeting their monthly deadline (I'm betting they push the deadline back to 6th of July and even then might not make it). 1 missed article from an issue (or an issue that sticks around for more then 31 days) is all I need to give up on DDI completely.
Thats one way to look at it I suppose.
I saw 2 articles on Friday and thought it was pretty cool that we had 2 instead of 1 so I can forgive them 'missing' Monday.
Well I just took the 10 mins to set this dog up just to say this...

Going through "Gleemax" is unhelpful and will I'm sure push people away. DDI? It's just after the big release of 4E and you can hear a pin drop... yes there has been lots made on the tech blogs, Rev3 podcasts and even G4TV ... BUT this silence and lack of Dragon & Dungeon show that this endevour will fail. I love 4E and think it will break even, but if this is the big splash with DDI, I'm just going to pass. I'm not impressed and WotC should be trying to do so, with all of us.

If the market is mindless 13-17 year olds fine, they will take this crappy treatment. If they are catering, even in part, to those 30+, then they better get their act together and fast. Don't announce Dragon is released and not have the full PDF out. This isn't a trial period but a joke and we are being treated appallingly. After spending $150 in product these past 3 weeks I expected much... what we have is little in terms of support.

My advise, change your website fast so we can actually find "new stuff", rename "Gleemax," and stop messing around with us with pseudo-releases with partial information.
Hey I'm ofended by that statement. I'm 14 and I'm pretty ****** about this to. They missed the deadlines they promiced and that inexcusable. Ontop of that they are going to charge an insane amount of money for digital tools to enhance a TABLETOP game, when most of the people who use digital tools do so for free or an initial lump sum. They also expect us to pay more for an online version of a magazine we got for less in print? Ontop of that there was no warning or break between 3.X and 4, they just decided thats where they were going and we could come or get screwed over. I'm not going to stand for this kind of bad customer service and no one i know my age, regardless of whether they play or not, would stand for it either.

Ok yah my rants over. In summary, WoTC actually treat us as people and customers and not dollar signs, and Ghaerdon dont diss 13-17 year olds.
I think the only real mistake they made was to set the deadline for monday.

I'm all for letting Wizards employees take a breather, maybe go to a Rush concert, grab a beer and whatnot.

I don't think they're treating us like "dollar signs". In fact, I wish they were. I want them to see my dollar signs and put out good content. I currently don't find any of the wizards web stuff worth paying for. Even these forums have been shuffled to the point where I can't find the topics I'm looking for.
fo diggity Twitter: www.twitter.com/fodigg Comic Books You Should Have Read: http://tinyurl.com/ycxe9l7
Here's a question. Once stuff gets posted to DDI, does it stay there, or does it disappear at the end of the month? If it stays there, then once a year sign up for a month, download the stuff, then cancel your subscription.
Here's a question. Once stuff gets posted to DDI, does it stay there, or does it disappear at the end of the month? If it stays there, then once a year sign up for a month, download the stuff, then cancel your subscription.

The articles are tied to your account individually.

If you let your subscription lapse, you can still access everything you paid for, but you don't get the whole thing all at once.
fo diggity Twitter: www.twitter.com/fodigg Comic Books You Should Have Read: http://tinyurl.com/ycxe9l7
The articles are tied to your account individually.

If you let your subscription lapse, you can still access everything you paid for, but you don't get the whole thing all at once.

So what if a person new to D&D sets up a subscription a year after the site launches. Will he be a year behind in what material he has access to, or will he just never get to see what came out before he signed up?
So what if a person new to D&D sets up a subscription a year after the site launches. Will he be a year behind in what material he has access to, or will he just never get to see what came out before he signed up?

You'll be able to buy back issue pdfs apparently. I'm sorry, I can't remember exactly where I saw that, it was in one of Ken Troops posts. His response thread, I think.
And as is being pointed out in another thread, yes, it's Wednesday, but as of this writing it's 4AM there.

Borrowing from other models that publish to the web a few times a week (such as webcomics) it's not infrequent to have content published during business hours in the publishers local time zone.

That'd be 9 to 5 Pacific Time (Noon to 8pm Eastern).

Admittedly, it'd be nice if there was an auto-script to publish stuff at 12:00:01am, but it is what it is.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Ok so they expect us to see this as a trial period for a professionally produced set of products that they expect us to fork out good cash for.

Ok web comics often come with "random update times" warnings and are often "second jobs" ie semi-professional products. This makes them being published at some time within say 48 hours of expected release fine.

DDI is supposed to be a professional subscription based product. Not being able to auto-scrpt publication of material and hit deadlines is not acceptable in such a product. (And as a world wide product it would be nice if the date was based on GMT, not Seattle time, for those of us who don't live in the US to get the product on the advertised day as well)

"We are getting it free" no longer works as a hand waving excuse. This is their serious promotional period - the core product is now live and in the market. This secondary product is dead in the water, the same poor support it has had for the past 3 or 4 months.

At this rate it will be the end of July before the June compiled PDF is available.

That is inexcusable in a professional product.
Nowhere did I say random.

I said during their business hours.

The rest is your own bias.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Ok so they expect us to see this as a trial period for a professionally produced set of products that they expect us to fork out good cash for.

Ok web comics often come with "random update times" warnings and are often "second jobs" ie semi-professional products. This makes them being published at some time within say 48 hours of expected release fine.

DDI is supposed to be a professional subscription based product. Not being able to auto-scrpt publication of material and hit deadlines is not acceptable in such a product. (And as a world wide product it would be nice if the date was based on GMT, not Seattle time, for those of us who don't live in the US to get the product on the advertised day as well)

"We are getting it free" no longer works as a hand waving excuse. This is their serious promotional period - the core product is now live and in the market. This secondary product is dead in the water, the same poor support it has had for the past 3 or 4 months.

At this rate it will be the end of July before the June compiled PDF is available.

That is inexcusable in a professional product.

Professional webcomic artists do still have trouble maintaining deadlines sometimes. Penny Arcade, the single most successful webcomic will still slip sometimes. It's the nature of the internet that things screw up. And as to the GMT thing, why should a company adjust itself to an Anglo-centric time scale? Most companies that service world-wide audiences function on local server time or the time scale of their HQ, not GMT. Plain and simple.
Nowhere did I say random.

I said during their business hours.

The rest is your own bias.

Okay, if the Wednesday article arrives in the next 20 hours then that's still Wednesday and that's okay, though I don't understand why Dragon and Dungeon articles might be posted at a different time to the articles on the columns on the Magic section.

But we are still waiting for Monday's article, and redating one of Friday's articles to Monday's date doesn't count as new content in my book.
Okay, if the Wednesday article arrives in the next 20 hours then that's still Wednesday and that's okay, though I don't understand why Dragon and Dungeon articles might be posted at a different time to the articles on the columns on the Magic section.

But we are still waiting for Monday's article, and redating one of Friday's articles to Monday's date doesn't count as new content in my book.

Unless of course, as part of a new venture, an honest error was made and the EXTRA article we got on Friday really WAS intended for Monday.

I'm no fan of how they have handled D&DI.
On the other hand I assume that everyone here has never EVER missed a single deadline in their entire life?
Some of us understand that things happen. There is certainly debate about the 2 Friday vs 0 Monday articles posted and I wont make excuses for wotc. If it becomes a pattern it will be an issue but it has to become a pattern first.
On the other hand I assume that everyone here has never EVER missed a single deadline in their entire life?

Missing a deadline is one thing. However chronically missing a ton of deadlines leading up to 4e, and then continuing to miss your very second deadline is quite another.
Missing a deadline is one thing. However chronically missing a ton of deadlines leading up to 4e, and then continuing to miss your very second deadline is quite another.

This is pure speculation on my part and I have no info to back it up....
The Dragon and Dungeon part of D&DI are being run by someone different than the other parts. They already have the staff to write, edit, and publish the articles they have been doing it for quite some time and there are several online issues before D&DI launched. They are the only parts that are working for us. In the past they had an entire issue and would put it up at one time. This breaking it up into updates is new for them.
For those 2 magazines I only consider them having messed up once... putting 2 articles on Friday instead of 1 Friday and 1 Monday. I'm a bit more forgiving for the magazines.
Now if them screwing up becomes a habit my opinion of them will definately change.
This is pure speculation on my part and I have no info to back it up....
The Dragon and Dungeon part of D&DI are being run by someone different than the other parts. They already have the staff to write, edit, and publish the articles they have been doing it for quite some time and there are several online issues before D&DI launched. They are the only parts that are working for us. In the past they had an entire issue and would put it up at one time. This breaking it up into updates is new for them.
For those 2 magazines I only consider them having messed up once... putting 2 articles on Friday instead of 1 Friday and 1 Monday. I'm a bit more forgiving for the magazines.
Now if them screwing up becomes a habit my opinion of them will definately change.

they already have a habit of being unable to meet their deadlines. during the period between the cancellation of dragon and dungeon magazines and the release of 4th edition they chronically missed deadlines and, as far as i know, have yet to release compilations of those "issues." as for the dragon, sure they only have the one article on monday (dated 6/9 but put up on 6/6), but they haven't put up anything for dungeon this week.

but hey, they have all month and no one's paying attention anyways, right?
I'm no fan of how they have handled D&DI.
Some of us understand that things happen. There is certainly debate about the 2 Friday vs 0 Monday articles posted and I wont make excuses for wotc. If it becomes a pattern it will be an issue but it has to become a pattern first.

Yeah, but my first week on the job I am gonna show up on time, and get my stuff in on time. That being said, I think the Friday double post was a simple error, and its not like they gyped us of content, so that is a wash really. And it is still early on Wednesday, so they still may get it right.
Well, penny arcade is west coast US, and I tend to give them until about 1pm Central to get a post up. I can do the same for WotC.
While I'm also miffed because I'd really like to see some of the cool feature they've been eluding to all this time, I'm also a realist:

Programming isn't like dusting crops, boy! It takes a lot of effort to get everything to work just so. I'd rather wait the extra time and see a product that looks good and functions as intended, than to see a rushed hack job that will turn people off of the final version.

I can forgive a little bit of a wait. I didn't even get my books until last night.

I've been saying for months that the web team needed to get on the ball. When Dragon and Dungeon went completely digital, I waited expectantly for new issues each month, but received only infrequent snippets, so it doesn't surprise me that they are behind. But as I said, I can understand it. At my own job, I've got four different projects on the burner right now, and deadlines change as often as the degree of importance does.

As for 4E being a failure? That remains to be seen. If what I saw locally is any indication, it's a far cry from failure. It may not be a raging success, but there were an awful lot of people there at midnight to get their copies and Amazon sales were so successful that they are already back-ordered.
They have been screwing up since October.

1. Not making PDF compilations of both magazines as they said they would.
2. Stating there would be a direct seamless transfer of magazines from Paizo and then switching to bimonthly, and then "trimonthly plus" for the last 3.5 mags
3. Stating they'd release a three part adventure before 4e (touch of madness) and then only releasing part 1.
4. Stating they'd release an adventure voted on by all of us (Cross City Chase) for 3.5 and then not doing it before 4e (it is written and in according to one poster who appears to be the author).
5. Missing the release of the DDI parts that are not the magazines, again by months (thereby negating the purpose of the books to people who only can play over the web, and bought them expecting DDI to be complete)
6. Stating they'd post the adventure level in the blurbs and then NEVER doing so.
7.Missing deadlines of all kinds on a very, very regular basis over virtually every month since the beginning of the launch in October, as these threads all discuss and criticize.
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=967880
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=968141
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=962136
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=967123
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=952261
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=973049
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=967568
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=972731

And in this thread, I asked for feedback (obnoxiously) and got an admission of "only" two missed deadlines from Scott Rouse, but informed by Chris Thomasson (in post #16), to which I replied that 9 had been missed in Dragon alone (in post #21), which was not denied.
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=976937

I have been championing the improvement of the mags almost since the get-go. I have repeatedly been told that "once they are for fourth edition, they'll be the real preview. Just be patient. They'll be great."

Well that time is now. After all that incompetence, it is time to wow us...not time to miss deadlines and screw up further.

Now is the time to wow us. No more excuses.

And by the way, the magazines were able to come out on time when Paizo had them. Why WotC can't have the articles ready a month in advance, as any printing company might, I don't know.
Why WotC can't have the articles ready a month in advance, as any printing company might, I don't know.

I will say this...I wish they would release the magazines as a whole.

Not a ToC and then we wait to read the full product that we paid for on their schedule.
In response to my age comment above re 13-17 year olds, sorry, but this expression is more the way they think than myself. And frankly they are treating ALL ages as mindless idiots at the moment.

As far as DDI / Dungeon / Dragon ... what we have received so far is great, we want more, they are giving us NOTHING at the moment... and that is a failing.

Good marketing is getting enthusiasm built and they did that up to the 6th... then they all went on holiday. This week they should have been pounding us with perks and keeping the interest high. No they have let the ball drop and no one has picked it up.

The site is a nightmare to find any new items and as each day passes I am losing patience. Yup it's Wednesday... where is it? Nowhere! No excuses as Monday, Wed and Fri of each week for the past 8 we have had stuff to talk about at midnight EST. Why the silence now, now, of all times.

We are being treated like crap and for many of us after buying the set and an extra PHB.
What, you guys somehow paid for the insider? Mine still free I guess. o_O I just click on the link and read the article.
they already have a habit of being unable to meet their deadlines. during the period between the cancellation of dragon and dungeon magazines and the release of 4th edition they chronically missed deadlines and, as far as i know, have yet to release compilations of those "issues." as for the dragon, sure they only have the one article on monday (dated 6/9 but put up on 6/6), but they haven't put up anything for dungeon this week.

but hey, they have all month and no one's paying attention anyways, right?

Now this I was unaware of. I didnt know about the release schedule of the past electronic issues.
Mr Troop, I think this is another excellent example of the breakdown in communication with your customers. If something is preventing you from making a deadline, letting us know ASAP should be a priority.

This is a terrible way to showcase your product, especially if you want us to put down the money for a long subscription.
I also note that the "preview" of DDI looks like its going to amount to a free issue of Dungeon and Dragon (assuming they can manage to post them fully in a month).

Because according to the DDI News Page the Compendium (hey look I have the physical rulebook so now I can look at this snazzy electronic version, uh why?) is the only thing that will be available any time soon.

I'm such a cad for thinking that is unprofessional of them, to promote these tools vigorously as a key element of 4E and then not be able to deliver them, or not even go "hey look we are having issues, they will not be out when we would like" until 4 days after what up until then was the expected release date.