1970's Dragon Issues available on Insider or as PDF?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was wondering if the back issues of Dragon magazine would be available as part of the Insider subscription or separately as a PDF purchase on rpgnow.com or a similar site? It looks like Paizo used to have them?
Very unlikely.
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19670890/Keep_on_the_Shadowfell_Character_Errata
My first issue in hard copy is #3. Woohoo its been awhile since I looked at it but if I remember right it was less than 30-50 pages total.

Plus I have the first 1-250 on cds - I really hoped they would have finished the set but that what happens when another company takes over.
This is how I heard it......

1999 brings about a great thing for D&D fans. The collection of 250 issues of Dragon Magazine with a bonus of 7 issues of The Strategic Review in CD-ROM format.

Some people who wrote articles did not grant perpetual reproduction rights even for archive copies and compilations of the material they contributed. This caused some sort of legal battle, and afterwards K&C had rgihts to prodcue HAckMAster a spin-off of AD&D.

It is illeged that K&C was given rights to AD&D because of a settlement because of this Dragon Magazine Archive. Since not all parties are taken care of and there may still be issues with providing future copies of those magazines and the articles included, there is little chance they will ever be in circulation again.

The Dragon Magazine Archive does include issues 1-250 of Dragon Magazine and the 7 issues of TSR in PDF format, with a little search software.

So if you are interested in most of what was in those issues (minus fullpage poster maps), you may wish to locate a copy of the software and purchase it before its price gets too high.
(Last seen at $250 for a copy of the software)

There is also some errat floating around that includes things like the Deck of Many Things insert, and the Creature Catalog, and a few other things that were missing from the PDf scans of the included issues, but you may have to search for them now.

Good luck with getting the back-issues you want.
$250? Ouch! Glad I got mine when I found it for $50...

The CD-Rom set is really good. If you're a gaming archaeologist, that set shows you how the industry advanced, year after year, and how the magazine itself grew. It included reviews of all the games that came out as they were developed, and reading the articles is like watching the evolution of D&D.

So sayeth Omnus.
$250? Ouch! Glad I got mine when I found it for $50...

The CD-Rom set is really good. If you're a gaming archaeologist, that set shows you how the industry advanced, year after year, and how the magazine itself grew. It included reviews of all the games that came out as they were developed, and reading the articles is like watching the evolution of D&D.

So sayeth Omnus.

Yeah. I got it at $50 as well. I love reading through the lettercolumns. It's just like a messageboard only slower. Flamewars, accusations of Badwrongfun (heck Len Lakofka's articles bash Jim Ward's syle early on), Roll play vs Role Play, Simulation vs realism. It's fun.