Online Tools subscription...

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, I am curious.

I am interested in trying out the new virtual gametable with friends across the country, and that will be great, but I am also interested in using the gleemax tools to aid home games.

If I were run a game on my kitchen table. Will I need multiple subsciptions to use both the DM and Player view, or could I turn the screen, do my DM thing and then switch back to player view and turn it back to show the players?

Can a single user play multiple characters? Can a DM playtest thier own dungeons?

I played Everquest then WoW and other online games. I have no interest in another subscription based game system that doesnt allow me to share the game experience with my kids without paying multiple subscriptions.

I am trying to turn my kids on to D&D as something we can share. I am just wondering if these new applications will allow me to do so without a huge investment.
Ok, I am curious.

I am interested in trying out the new virtual gametable with friends across the country, and that will be great, but I am also interested in using the gleemax tools to aid home games.

If I were run a game on my kitchen table. Will I need multiple subsciptions to use both the DM and Player view, or could I turn the screen, do my DM thing and then switch back to player view and turn it back to show the players?

A recent post from WotC_DM stated that the Game Table is being designed so that you could use multiple monitors to display a "DM View" of the game table, and a separate "Player Only" view on a 2nd monitor. So it soulds like you could do both with one subscription if you're playing locally.

Can a single user play multiple characters? Can a DM playtest thier own dungeons?

At DDXP they showed a demo of the "player" controlling two characters. I don't know what, if any, upward limit there might be of how many character a player can control, but multiple appears to be an option.

Additionally, if you're doing it all "locally" at your kitchen table at home, the DM has the power to move any/all minis, so you wouldn't even *need* a second login as I understand it.

As for playtesting your own dungeons, I don't see why not. The tool includes die rollers, but doesn't do any adjucation, so you would roll dice to simulate the NPC attacks, then do the PC attacks, etc.

Keep in mind there will also be an Encounter Creator which is designed to help a DM create a well-balanced encounter in the first place.

I played Everquest then WoW and other online games. I have no interest in another subscription based game system that doesnt allow me to share the game experience with my kids without paying multiple subscriptions.

A monthly subscription is also going to include "a number of 24-hour guest passes" so if, for some reason, you DO want/need a 2nd account to play with a few times a month, you can get that 2nd account logged in at no extra charge on play days.

I am trying to turn my kids on to D&D as something we can share. I am just wondering if these new applications will allow me to do so without a huge investment.

Sounds like you'll be taken care of in a single subscription from what we've heard so far.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Sounds awesome, thanks Wolfstar! I am more excited now about the new tools.
Yeah this tool sounds like an answer to my prairs. Me and my cousins love to play D&D but with the amount of miles between us and rizing fuel cost it is hard fore us to aford to dryve to a single location fore a d&d game. This is especialy true fore me cause my truck is a darn diesil and it costs me A LOT to dryve to oure normal meating spot. as a result i believe this wil realy help anny gamer that is in this position to be abol to get togeather with friends. the cost of the subscription will be way less expencive than dryving.
Yeah, I really hope that the system will be as robust as they are promising.

As a new dad who loves to game, this could really help me game a little more often while still being around for my daughter as much as I need and want to be.

Also, some of the guys in my group live an hour or so away. With the price of gas being what it is, and since they're also close friends, it'll be a way that we can still game together if the price of gas puts them in a position that they can't justify the cost of coming to a weekly game.

I really do have a good feeling about the whole thing.