PDF vs Flash vs Video

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
In the recent survey, did or would anyone vote for a Flash magazine?
Hell no. Flash is an often misused medium.

• not search friendly
  • takes up way to much storage space
  • is too difficult to update or edit with corrections
  • usually has poor interface design
  • consumes far too much system resources if poorly developed
  • need I go on?

Personally, Flash's only merit is if the presenter wants Wiz-Bang appeal or for delivering cross-platform, cross-browser video/animation via the Flash plug-in. Other than that, it's useless and doesn't provide much more than what a web page could.
Personally I have a deep dislike for Flash.

I'm not sure why they would contemplate a Flash magazine.
In the recent survey, did or would anyone vote for a Flash magazine?

There was a recent survey?
Why would anyone even consider video or flash for a magazine?

Where was this survey?
Refresh the D&D Web site a couple of times. It'll pop-up. Although doing so removes the randomness of the survey and instead gathers the opinions of the vocal minority.
How come no one knows about Wizards, random web surveys?

nobody expects the inquisition? i am thinking that they don't come up very often in conversation on the forums and, since they seem to come up on the wizard's website as opposed to the forums, they catch a majority that come to the site for the info and not for the forums. least those are my thoughts on that one.
I've met people that where dead certain that no surveys had been done for 4th edition.

And I know I've been polled like a dozen times before the 4e announcement.

Anyway, seriously, a Dragon Article done in flash?
I personally love Flash. It has helped me make great animations and even when I have to do design for something I usually use Flash. And it is easy to edit should the person who designs it, is organized and makes it that way. As for interface that also relies on the designer of the Flash project as well. I know I am not happy with most people’s efforts as they never go all the way and make it really user friendly.

That all said I would not want a online magazine done in flash as there could be certain overall compatibility issues and Flash has to load so should a person who still has dial up (yes there are quite few of them out there don't let the news fool you) then they have to wait for the whole Flash animation to load as opposed to the regular HTML page that most people can pull up with little wait (graphics being a big factor). Now using a PDF also still requires a load time but some of those can be loaded as you go. That can still take a while. It's all about file size.

Now putting videos and Flash animations into the Mag would be fine as part of the bling but I would not use either for the main part of the work.

Lastly I check these forums regularly and I have not seen any random polls either. They must only post them say, randomly on pages I don't go to.

Lastly I check these forums regularly and I have not seen any random polls either. They must only post them say, randomly on pages I don't go to.

If by randomly you mean on the D&D homepage, then yes, you are correct. And they are not polls; they are surveys. There is a big difference.

Will I am told the surveys are popups and I blocked popups.

If not a popup, the page does not display properly in my browser so might not see it because of that.

BTW it sounds like a very foolish idea. As mentioned before large memory required and I watch movies I read ezines.
Plans are always subject to change.
I voted for the pdf simply because if the magazine were in a flash format, it may be that it's only usable whilst online. A pdf file can be easily saved to your computer.

That said, it may outline the 'mystery' that are flash documents to me, and someone else more proficient in their use could probably download and access offline.

As to why wizards would consider flash? Well that would probably be due to copy protection issues, and the potential for a more user friendly interface.

So to summarise I'd like to be able to use the insider documentation (Dungeon and Dragon) whilst offline without needing to print them out.
Actually, the only application of Flash I would approve for a magazine might be FlashPaper. It's a fairly nice format that scales and scrolls quickly, but it's less "accessible" than PDF.

Firefox told me that it blocked a pop-up from wizards.com when i loaded the site a few minutes ago. Maybe because I never saw it?
Refresh the D&D Web site a couple of times. It'll pop-up. Although doing so removes the randomness of the survey and instead gathers the opinions of the vocal minority.

Refresh, refresh, refresh.... Oh that survey....

Consider me part of the vocal minority now. :D

Seriously Flash or a Video? How to I use that at the gaming table?

Video maybe for news articles, but as long as they get someone with some charisma to present it, I don't want it looking as dull as Gamer Radio Zero.

Flash for comics perhaps, but really I prefer the web comics like Order of the Stick.
aw, please don't tell me they're even considering it. I hate the trend towards videos on the internet. almost all are dull and boring, and especially designers of all kinds sound ...tired and the same.
also, I just happen to like text. lots and lots of it.
Rant: A current trend that really annoys me is using flash rather than HTML+CSS for layout.

Right click open link in new tab. Huh, why did I get a flash menu instead? Oh, because you're not a web page, you're flash embedded in a web page and masquerading as one!

Flash has its place, but it's not supposed to replace HTML. If you're rendering something relatively static, use HTML. Only use flash if you actually want something animated. Otherwise you just annoy power users.

If it could sensibly be done in HTML or PDF, it should not be done in flash. Flash is heavyweight and just puts another layer between the user and the data.
If you go to the main webpage, and allow popups, and refresh a couple of times, the survey should show up.

For some reason it doesn't show up every single time.

Also for some reason they did it silly and allow you to take it a million times should you be so inclined, rather than remembering you.
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19670890/Keep_on_the_Shadowfell_Character_Errata
Rant: A current trend that really annoys me is using flash rather than HTML+CSS for layout.

Right click open link in new tab. Huh, why did I get a flash menu instead? Oh, because you're not a web page, you're flash embedded in a web page and masquerading as one!

Flash has its place, but it's not supposed to replace HTML. If you're rendering something relatively static, use HTML. Only use flash if you actually want something animated. Otherwise you just annoy power users.

If it could sensibly be done in HTML or PDF, it should not be done in flash. Flash is heavyweight and just puts another layer between the user and the data.

I would go even further and argue that Flash should only be used for animation, and further it should be clearly labeled as a flash page on all links pointing to it. Nothing gets my goat more than navigating to a page, then my browser starts popping up all kinds of download requests. To me this means that your site had given me an ultimatum - install 3rd party software, which with flash means closing down many other programs, and reboot, or click no, and not go to your site. Now, if I have several other windows open guess what I am going to do?

Plus the programmers who use it tend to make their sites.... well busy is a nice word that comes to mind. (Seizure inducing it a little closer to how I feel about them. :D ) And frankly, the wizards site is a perfect example of the excesses of Flash. Truth be told, it causes more problems than it adds value, IMHO.
One thing I have to say that seems to be missing in all this is the point that back when you paid for the magazines you got the magazines in your hands. If they keep everything on the net where you pay for the latest articles and information but can't take it with you either in PDF or even HTML where in most cases you can copy and paste (yes you can block that from happening in a PDF) the text and put it into a document of your choosing.
In video and Flash they can almost completely lock all their content onto the web and if you drop your monthly subscription then you lose all your content. Where canceling a Magazine subscription still have all the mags you got before you canceled.
I am sure their site will be a compilation of all 3 programs but still PDF would be the best for articles and text based things they create.

Also I have pop ups blocked on all my web sites so if that is how they do random surveys then I would have never seen them either.
I think that they are looking at flash for the ability to view information easily but that can be done with HTML though not as well usualy.

I would like to see PDF files and also an add on Flash or other database program that would let you browse all the class information or weapons or armor etc. from your e-books for example. If I want to read the full book I can and if I just want the hard data in a format that lets me retrive data fast I would have that too.
I think that they are looking at flash for the ability to view information easily but that can be done with HTML though not as well usualy.

I would like to see PDF files and also an add on Flash or other database program that would let you browse all the class information or weapons or armor etc. from your e-books for example. If I want to read the full book I can and if I just want the hard data in a format that lets me retrive data fast I would have that too.

How is download massive amounts of images quicker then downloading text or easily?
Even PDF as compared to HTML or text is an additional load on servers that is not required to provide an ezine.
Plans are always subject to change.
Flash doesn't have to mean Badger Badger Badger videos, it's a pretty flexible format. It's also universal across all OS, browsers, etc. so it's extremely portable making it even easier to program for than HTML+CSS.

Marvel Comics has an excellent digital comics viewer using flash, for example.

Flash could be a very interesting format to use.
I hate Flash.

Moreover, even tho I have Flash installed, it requires me to permit sites to use Active-X, which I wont do because of computer security. I wont put my computer at risk.

For me, Flash makes viewing a website impossible.