Anyone know when insider switches to a paid subscription?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
The title more or less says it all. Why aren't you replying yet?

Lostdwarf.
I've lost the quote (though I could dig it up if pressed, it's in a couple of my other posts), but they once said that they plan to launch in June (which is when 4E launches, so that makes a logical launch-point).

I'd expect either June 1st or June 6th (to coincide with the launch).

Keep in mind - even when it goes pay, we've been told that everyone will get a 10-day free trial.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

I thought the months since the end of the Paizo Dragon and Dungeon were supposed to be the free trial of the replacements. So far I'm unimpressed.
First thing for people working on providing new features should remember: People hate change for the sake of change. They usually don't mind genuine improvements, but change just because it's change and therefore cool tends to get hackles raised. Second thing for people working on providing new 'improved' features should remember: It shouldn't be hard for users to figure out how to turn them off if they don't like them. Just because the programmer thinks he's had a great idea doesn't mean everyone else is going to agree with them.
The original intent was that this was to be a preview period as well.

They've since said that it's more of a free period while they gear up for the full release.

At DDXP they said they plan to release 160 (I just woke up, so that might not be the exact number, but its in the ballpark) pages of content per month with DDI. They've obviously NOT been hitting that target thus far.

It's been my opinion all along that this isn't a "real" preview but that this is them getting things ready. Yes we've been getting small "sample" articles that might indicate the format we'll be seeing, but that's like showing off a skeleton and telling us "wait 'til you see the whole body!".

Keith Baker has said he's writing an Eberron article for DDI and given many indications that it's VERY sizeable. Larger even than articles he wrote for Paizo.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Hi All,

We're putting together a bunch of details regarding D&Di and we're hoping to be able to announce them sometime in May. While I don't know the details on exactly *when* we plan to start the paid subscriptions, it won't happen until sometime after June.

Stay tuned for more info later. =)

-Mike
Any word on whether the magazine will go "fully live" (i.e. be an accurate represtentation of what paying people can expect to receive) before payment is required?

I know that there is supposed to be a free 10 day trial period at some point, but I'm really hoping to get a full month for free so I can accurately preview the magazines and determine if their value is worth their cost to me.
To tell the truth, I'll be glad to put this all behind me. The trial phase has done little but generate bad feelings (speaking for myself). Its been a "trial in more than one sense. From day one, its been a disaster, a failure, a disappointment of massive proportions. Looking forward to the future then (with more than a bit of rightful trepidation, I might add).

Sorry, seeing the end finally within sight has me feeling the need to vent a bit ;).

On a more positive note, I'm glad to hear that there will apparently be a 10-day trial period (I'm beginning to really loath that phrase, at least in regard to the D&DI). I didn't look forward to buying the "new/improved" magazines sight unseen, just to find out they're not what I expected.
/\ Art
Try reading this... http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dramp/20080507a

buh. Tell me I misread this. Did it just say that the Character Creator was not launching with 4E, and that the trial period is?

I haven't had any problems with most of the things I've heard, but to be dealt the disappointing blow of no Character Creator at launch and that I might not even get to test all its features out as a trial.
buh. Tell me I misread this. Did it just say that the Character Creator was not launching with 4E, and that the trial period is?

I haven't had any problems with most of the things I've heard, but to be dealt the disappointing blow of no Character Creator at launch and that I might not even get to test all its features out as a trial.

Im a bit worried about this too. The virtual table top is the primary reason im subscribing. I can live without the magazines, what I want is to be able to play with other people online. I will reserve judgement untill the follow up information comes out, but if its a long wait for the tabletop i really dont see it being worth the money.

Edit: I wonder if they are behind schedule in developing the table top and character creator tools? Bill did talk about a limited period after the trail where there would be lower rates. Maybe they will charge less untill the full product is ready. Either way, very frustrating news.
Im a bit worried about this too. The virtual table top is the primary reason im subscribing. I can live without the magazines, what I want is to be able to play with other people online. I will reserve judgement untill the follow up information comes out, but if its a long wait for the tabletop i really dont see it being worth the money.

Edit: I wonder if they are behind schedule in developing the table top and character creator tools? Bill did talk about a limited period after the trail where there would be lower rates. Maybe they will charge less untill the full product is ready. Either way, very frustrating news.

How about just saying they are "having problems with the printers" and be done with it for now?
I called it vaporware a while ago and it does appears they can not or will not provide a usable, full functional, product that they said they would. Perhaps I misread the signs, just have a bad feeling/belief about how things are reported to be going.
Plans are always subject to change.
Personnally, I think it will be *crap* like it was with 3E :P

There program won't be ready, with multiple bugs that users will enhance... and found. Updates will come month after... sounds familiar ?

As per Dragon & Dungeon... they haven't been able to follow Paizo's footsteps by putting 2 adventures + 1 adventure Paths per month !!! I know its free, but they should have left it to Paizo's until and a bit after the 4e launch... that way, customers wouldn't have grown an hate for they're "breathtaking" digital experience that results in complete... failure.

Never change a product before its 110 % perfect. Customers hate when things don't work for the money they put in... 15$ for something that doesn't work properly is truly like the ******** E-tools was. Is it that hard to make a computer program that WORKS for D&D ? To this date, D&D programs have always failed (TSR Core Rules, 3e Character Generator and E-tools). Does not look good for the new generation
Is it that hard to make a computer program that WORKS for D&D ? To this date, D&D programs have always failed (TSR Core Rules, 3e Character Generator and E-tools). Does not look good for the new generation

HeroForge worked and will be converting. They are even going to be platform independent.
That's the point... 3rd party company have better programs... they have less money and manpower to create a program like that than WotC had... and yet, they made a better program (as PCgen and RPGxplorer).

I do hope that for this version, it will be the right one, but being an online program that you can use when you suscribe, I don't believe it would be that much a success ! Why would I pay 15$ eternally to use a Character Creator when I could have a 3rd party (one payment) or free one do the job ?
Very disappointing. Way to let us down guys. I hope you reconsider your price of $15 unless its REALLY good stuff.

Until then we'll just sit here and be hoping you won't Blizzard out on us. We won't have to wait 10 years for the next update to DDI will we? (For those of you who caught the starcraft reference, I thank you.)
there are 3 pricing options if you go for the yearly subscription you pay 10 a month if you got 3 month then you pay 13 if you go monthly then you pay 15. They did say something about a first time special pricing at launch and also said the longer you are a subscriber the more of a discount on price you get or something to that extent
Based on what we've seen so far, I'd say they are at least 6 months off from rolling out all their digital products. That's just a guess based on what I've seen from gleemax, magic online, the online board games, the 'preview period' of the DDI, and my experience as a software developer working on both windows apps and web sites.

I think there is a chance that the whole project could crater and never come out, or come out in greatly reduced form. It's happened to companies who specialize in software development, and WotC certainly isn't that.

Of course this is all completely speculative and admittedly pessimistic. I hope I'm proven wrong.