Where's Dungeoncraft? - Redux -

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Seeing how the original post on the subject seems to have vanished to who-knows-where (probably along with the next Dungeoncraft Article) I felt the need to pipe up again (I haven't lost hope... yet) and let it be known there is still some interest in the column.

The first installment was great! The second was good, and I'm waiting for the third.

The first even spawn an interesting (is short lived) post:

Make Your Own Town/City from Dungeoncraft 1

I guess I just wanted to say:

[INDENT]I WANT MORE! please???[/INDENT]

And like to see others sound off as well (I suppose even if its to say 'nah, not my thing').
He who should not speak...
All TWO regular columns are still there...

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/duarch/dc

By regular I of course mean nothing of the sort.

Still it's better than Maps of Mystery

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/duarch/mm

and the same as Roll vs Role.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/duarch/rr

but half as much as Save My Game

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/duarch/sg

You know to me a column is something that normally appears only once an issue. There have been three online issues of Dungeon so far.

Issue #151 - One Save My Game, One Map of Mystery, One Dugeoncraft, Two Editorials.

Issue #152 - Two Roll vs Roll*, Three Save My Game, NO Dugeoncraft, No Map of Mystery, No Editorials.

Issue #153 - One Dungeoncraft, and nothing else.

*Surely Cruel Shadows was Issue #153, but not according to the issue archive.
It's been stated elsewhere that they intend(*) to do a full launch of the mags in May.

So, while they're ramping up the 4E previews right now, they should (I know I'm keeping my fingers crossed in hope) be doing regular articles and columns starting next month.

*Intend being the key word of course.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Yeah, but not all columns were regular even in Dungeon/Dragon print days. Now how do we know if a column is meant to be irregular or they just aren't hitting deadlines again? ;)
Yeah, but not all columns were regular even in Dungeon/Dragon print days. Now how do we know if a column is meant to be irregular or they just aren't hitting deadlines again? ;)

A far trickier question to be sure.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

to address the OP, i loved the Dungeoncraft articles... they were the catalyst that created excitement for 4th edition for me. i had stopped paying attention to the 4th edition news after it was announced thinking it was pretty far off. until i read that first article and then i went on a 3-day quest to find out everything i could about 4th ed(and on the 3rd day i happened to cruise by the enworld site, figures).
It's been stated elsewhere that they intend(*) to do a full launch of the mags in May.

*Intend being the key word of course.

Well, here is to hoping they pull it off. As far as a preview period to wet our appetites for more, its been pretty lack luster to date (with the odd gem here or there - Iwantmore Dungeoncraft please).

to address the OP, i loved the Dungeoncraft articles... they were the catalyst that created excitement for 4th edition for me.

Yeah, Dungeoncraft was the first to really get me fired up about 4e and DDI, as well.
He who should not speak...
Dungeoncraft 3 is finally out. Hopefully it will be more frequent from now on.
Dungeoncraft 3 is finally out. Hopefully it will be more frequent from now on.

And it will come with a free pony too.
I found this Dungeoncraft article to be less then helpful. Although I don't say this as a criticism of the writer but I think I've simply outgrown the article. It should be quite helpful for new DMs who read the 3 articles close together.

One thing I found less then ideal for the article is that its fairly linear, especially with saying things like "I'll let the characters explore the ancient ruins off to the south. If it were me I'd have:
* An adventure(s) on the way to Harrow Pass (so they can level up without heading to Tower Watch as they may have no interest in heading to Tower Watch)
* A map of Tower Watch in time for after the Greenbrier Chasm adventure is finished if that's where I intend for them to go.
* By the time the Tower Watch adventure is finished I'd have adventures for the place(s) beyond Tower Watch. After all, why do they want to go to Harrows Pass? Maybe they want to keep heading south.
* Adventures for Lake Town. Instead of heading to Tower Watch, they could be interested in heading here instead.
* Either a map and adventures on Silverymoon or an adventure for on the way to Silverymoon that will last 1 session so the players don't get there before I've fleshed it out.

And so we've gone from "the players head south, then they head back north and then go east" to the players being able to go south, east, south-east or north.
this article is a good follow-up to the other two that i think speaks to basic campaign planning. about the linear nature of the article, i think he might be brainstorming a bit here as opposed to laying a railroad. with the town that is built near the ruins being so close, it would be a logical assumption to prepare anything for that direction. moreso if you consider that the space between points of light is a dangerous land full of beasties and bandits. and i don't think it would be difficult to throw in some clues that lead to the next village over if it moves the campaign along at a pace he's comfortable with.
Sign In to post comments