So How?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
People all have an idea of what they want to see. They all have their own thoughts on how things should be or at least the direction they should be taking.

However a small number of individuals have the say on what the rules of the game are. My question is how? How do you get into a company like WotC and get a job where you are beeing paid to make a game?

I don't think I've ever heard of a Master's Degree in RPG Design. So how do you get the job?
Lots-O-RPG's Played: D&D (Advanced 2nded, 3.0, 3.5, 4thed & Pathfinder), StarWars (RCR & Saga), Scion, Shadowrun (4thed), Call of Cthulhu (Original % & d20), Warhammer, BESM (d20-3.5 compatable), Fudge (Fudge on the fly variant).
Not sure this is correct place for topic, however an answer of a kind I can offer you.

One way to get a design job is invent the game, that is how D&D started.
One way is to offer contributions to the game. Outstanding submissions of content makes you a candidate. Ed Greenwood became a designer, though not employee based on what he offered.
Get hired as support staff, then interact successfully with design team (somewhat similar to submitting content).
Become a player of a current employee, impress DM and perhaps they might recommend you for an open position.
Be successful for another gaming company and WotC might try to hire you away from them.

Sometimes it appears it can be what you know and can do and sometimes it appears who you know and what you can do. There is no absolute answer on how to get a job, though clearly there must be an open job position.
Plans are always subject to change.
People all have an idea of what they want to see. They all have their own thoughts on how things should be or at least the direction they should be taking.

However a small number of individuals have the say on what the rules of the game are. My question is how? How do you get into a company like WotC and get a job where you are beeing paid to make a game?

I don't think I've ever heard of a Master's Degree in RPG Design. So how do you get the job?

I'd think that being known in the community for good design work would help too. If you have a good idea here or there and don't mind not getting paid for it, share it with the community at large.

Take the time to attend large cons where WotC staff are present and take the time to talk to them about either your ideas, or at least about why the designed things one way and not another way.

Let them know that you're interested in a position, should one ever open up.

Submit articles (when submissions are open) to Dungeon and/or Dragon magazine.

If you'd like to work on supplements, even non-official ones, try for some of the other companies that publish rules supplements (assuming that the GSL ever finalizes and works similarly to how the OGL did), and get your foot in the door to the industry.

Heck, if you have enough good ideas, and the new GSL allows for it, try your hand at self-publishing too.

Living near Renton might help too.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter