4.0 Adventure Path--Anyone Know??

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey everyone,

Like most of you I'm excited about 4.0 coming out. I've recruited some players to play..

Now I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about any upcoming adventure paths for 4.0

Thanks,

Gabe.
Hey everyone,

Like most of you I'm excited about 4.0 coming out. I've recruited some players to play..

Now I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about any upcoming adventure paths for 4.0

Thanks,

Gabe.

WOTC doesn't support Adventure Paths. They originated in Dungeon magazine when Pazio was running the magazine. Paizo isn't going to support 4E, instead supporting their own take on 3.5 called Pathfinder Chronicles (I think).

Necromacer Games is planning on a 4E Adventure Path. This is dependent on whether the 4E GSL allows them to publish adventures.
What do your mean WOTC doesn't support Adventure path's? Of course they do. H1-H3 the first modules out with 4th Edition is an adventure path. It's a series of adventures that lead from one into another with continuing story elements and levels that tie together. What else would an adventure path be?

That being said, a promised 4th Edition adventure path in Dungeon would go a long way towards making me a subscriber of DI. Miscellaneous adventures, not so much.
_______________________ Why Pace Should be the Universal Unit for D&D Next http://community.wizards.com/padraigmac/blog/2012/05/29/why_pace_should_be_the_universal_unit_for_dd_next
H1-H3 are a three-part series of adventures taking characters from levels 1 thru 10. Hard to tell how closely tied together the adventures are. They aren't being advertised as an adventure path, so they probably aren't. They are probably similar to WotC's original 3e adventures - which weren't really an adventure path, but just a series of modules with a loose story behind them.
H1-H3 are a three-part series of adventures taking characters from levels 1 thru 10. Hard to tell how closely tied together the adventures are. They aren't being advertised as an adventure path, so they probably aren't. They are probably similar to WotC's original 3e adventures - which weren't really an adventure path, but just a series of modules with a loose story behind them.

I guess we are arguing semantics here. A series of modules taking characters through 10-20 levels with story points and settings in common is good enough for me! Put that in my online Dungeon Magazine and I'll happily subscribe.
_______________________ Why Pace Should be the Universal Unit for D&D Next http://community.wizards.com/padraigmac/blog/2012/05/29/why_pace_should_be_the_universal_unit_for_dd_next
Necromancer Games (published through Paizo) are talking about a 4E Adventure path - assuming the GSL ever becomes a reality.

The current Dungeon includes a module that specifically mentions being part 1 of three and that it will be converted to 4th ed.

Will there be 12-module adventure paths like in Dungeon, who knows.

But looking at say the Savage Tides adventure path I don't see much in it that would be hard to convert over to 4E given what we know about it to date.

Further some of the old module series Desert of Desolation, Temple of Elemental Evil, Against the Giants and the Underdark mods, Against the Slave Lords and so on all look to be shouting out for conversion for 4E play and it seems like it will be easier to convert than it was in 3E.
I believe the term Adventure Path is actually a registered trademark of Paizo's so no-one other than Paizo is planning them.
Gee like "Quest Path" or some other thing of a similar nature couldn't be dreamed up by the marketing folks to cover the idea.
Necromancer Games (published through Paizo) are talking about a 4E Adventure path - assuming the GSL ever becomes a reality.

The current Dungeon includes a module that specifically mentions being part 1 of three and that it will be converted to 4th ed.

Will there be 12-module adventure paths like in Dungeon, who knows.

But looking at say the Savage Tides adventure path I don't see much in it that would be hard to convert over to 4E given what we know about it to date.

Further some of the old module series Desert of Desolation, Temple of Elemental Evil, Against the Giants and the Underdark mods, Against the Slave Lords and so on all look to be shouting out for conversion for 4E play and it seems like it will be easier to convert than it was in 3E.

Maybe there will be enough "newbies" playing to Convert, but frankly I won't because I hate doing re-run after re-run. Especially when I pay to do it.
And As A DM I hate having to change everything because my players know the Moduals already.

Breath some new life into the Adventures..
Create new ones.
Maybe there will be enough "newbies" playing to Convert, but frankly I won't because I hate doing re-run after re-run. Especially when I pay to do it.
And As A DM I hate having to change everything because my players know the Moduals already.

Breath some new life into the Adventures..
Create new ones.

i thought about converting against the giants to 4e when news broke that there would be a 4th edition. despite never having been able to play the series, it is still one of my favorites. if i end up picking up the 4th ed books - and since my group was talking about 4th edition games, i probably will - i might still take a thwack at conversion. though that was an awful large amount of giants for the newer editions.
Most of my players simply haven't played these games before, so its not an issue I have, and its not like we know what bohemiancaliboi's players are like.

Compared to grabbing new modules, the old modules are available cheap from places like DriveThruRPG eg;
GDQ 1-7 Queen of the Spiders $5.95, T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil $5.95, each of A1 to A4 are $4.95, and similarly with I3 to I5.

Compared to $24.95 for H1 Keep on the Shadowfell, that's a huge bargain.

Sure you need to do some leg work to get them up and running, but 4E seems to need a lot less work than the 3E equivalent.
Sure you need to do some leg work to get them up and running, but 4E seems to need a lot less work than the 3E equivalent.

It will be interesting to see if that's true.

I ran Temple of Elemental Evil for 3e with very little prep work. I think all I changed were some magic items and I added some spells to spell lists. Otherwise, I just ran the module and made changes to it on the fly. It worked well and was a memorable experience for my group.

4e looks like it will require more prep work. All the spellcasters will have to be redone (since vanician spellcasting is gone) and some of the monsters will have to be changed (Huge Earth Elementals aren't in 4e, for example). The sliding abilities could be problematic in certain places. I would suspect more changes would be required once we know the full 4e rules.
There was a recent thread on ENWorld where JoeGKushner was discussing 4E at something... demo perhaps?... and it was said (by James Wyatt) that WOTC will continue to support Adventure Paths in Dungeon.

To me that is huge news, as that was probably the main reason to keep getting Pathfinder. I'm surprised there has been no mention of it on the WOTC Dungeon Boards at all. When will the first 4E AP be kicking off in Dungeon?

Also, didn't the Adventure Path name go back to that series of modules that started with Sunless Citadel? That would pre-date Shackled City / Age of Worms etc. I doubt something like Adventure Path in Dungeon could have been copyrighted and would prevent WOTC from using the term when the rights reverted.
I believe the term Adventure Path is actually a registered trademark of Paizo's so no-one other than Paizo is planning them.

Also, didn't the Adventure Path name go back to that series of modules that started with Sunless Citadel? That would pre-date Shackled City / Age of Worms etc. I doubt something like Adventure Path in Dungeon could have been copyrighted and would prevent WOTC from using the term when the rights reverted.

There was plenty of discussion here in reference to whether or not Adventure Path would get the TM or not. Basically, Paizo felt it wasn't necessary to TM it and decided not to pursue the option. In today's world of heavy litigation, a little gaming love made me feel good.
Most of my players simply haven't played these games before, so its not an issue I have, and its not like we know what bohemiancaliboi's players are like.

Compared to grabbing new modules, the old modules are available cheap from places like DriveThruRPG eg;
GDQ 1-7 Queen of the Spiders $5.95, T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil $5.95, each of A1 to A4 are $4.95, and similarly with I3 to I5.

Compared to $24.95 for H1 Keep on the Shadowfell, that's a huge bargain.

:D hey guys,

Thanks for all your posts. I'm currently running the last leg of the Savage Tide adventure path for 3.5 and love it. I would like to continue that with 4.0 with a new adventure path to start. Savage Tide is the only adventure path i've ever done. I like the suggestion of converting old APs t 4.0--that way I could scout ahead and see if I like the story (and get a great price).

One question though--With converting the old adventure paths to 4.0, how do I take my players from levels 1-30?

It would be oh so great if some company made a 4.0 adventure path taking characters from levels 1-30.

If you agree with me, let your voice be heard. Email wizards or put up more posts. If enough people truly want this and let the right people know, it will happen!

I think I'll email wizards right now.

Good Day,

Gabe.
H1-3, then there will be P1-3 for 10-20, and I'm guessing E1-3 for 20-30.

It looks like the 4e XP table is based around 5 normal monsters per encounter, 8 encounters per level, meaning that a PCs career will be roughly 240 encounters, and around 1200 monsters (assuming the minions balance out the solos and elites).
Whats this 4.0 you speak of? @_@

I know there is no word if there will be an Age of Worms scale adventure path for 4th-edition. But there seems to be some linked adventures as mentioned by elondir.
I might be the only one feeling this way, but I would rather have many small campaign arcs that I'm free to stitch together the way I like. The reason behind it is that while running the Age of Worms adventure path, I have the feeling it's hard to keep the focus on the same goal for more than 3 years IRL. So I would rather have a first campaign arc bringing my player up to level 6, let's say. And by that point, they really accomplished whatever they started at level 1. Then something else, and completely different happens. And a new campaign arc begins bringing them let's say to level 11 or so. And so on until they reach level 30.

Proceeding this way allows them to have more of a completion feeling IMO after each campaign arcs end. Also it allows more easily for some long downtime (if wanted) in between two arcs. You could event go for something like this : after succeding a big quest that brought them to level 16 or so, they all found a place in the world. Years pass. And 6 years later, something bring them all back together. And everyone will remember those heroes who saved whatever kingdom from whatever danger half a decade ago. And it gives this feeling to the player that they're someone in the world, and that now their acts will really matter.

Anyway, I wait and see what Dungeon will have to propose.
There's been some discussion sort of like this on the paizo.com boards.

If you're talking conversions of old APs it could be done easily by stripping away the rules and rebuilding the encounters from the ground up. The campaigns, such as Age of Worms, would probably take characters from 1st to 30th level in 4E instead of 1st to 20th in 3.x.

I'm currently running Shackled City right now and I love it. I usually like smaller story arcs of 5-10 levels but the grand scale of the big games are too alluring to pass up. If Necromancer does a 4E AP I'd be down for it, definitely.
They have announce an adventure path in Dragon online. Its in the upcoming previews section. So yes virginia there really is a santa claus.
and its set in Elsir Vale of all places. couldnt ask for something more perfect, being as i ran Red Hand of Doom not too long ago.
Just thought you should know. the countdown continues...
An Adventure Path is much more than a few Modules loose linked together. If you pick up Rise of the Runelords for instance, you will realise that there is a very vivid story behind it all that closely ties the single adventures together.

For me this is so much better than modules that really have no connection to each other and being a DM with not much time at my hands I must say that in my nearly 25 years of DM'ing I never found it so easy to run a really good campaign than now.

Adventures like Against the Giants are nice and all, but if you want to make the world, that this adventure plays in, come to life, you really have a lot of work to do.

Converting some stats and swapping some monsters seems easy in comparison, at least to me.
They have announce an adventure path in Dragon online. Its in the upcoming previews section. So yes virginia there really is a santa claus.

An 18 part adventure path! It will be very interesting to see if WotC can pull it off. They weren't able to handle a 3 part adventure this spring, but maybe that's just because it was 3.5. With Dungeon now 4e, maybe they'll be willing to put some effort into it.
Sign In to post comments