3rd "On the Set" Toon

72 posts / 0 new
Last post
With all the April Fools articles up it looks like this one slipped through the cracks have to go to Dragon's page proper to see it.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/toon/20080401a

Once the dwarf apears I could barely stop laughing. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's not a dragonborn but rather the newly designed Troglodite, either way he's a gas.
Aesop had it right 2,500 years ago, "By endeavoring to please everyone, he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain".
Goodness! I laughed so much! XD
not very funny. found myself not laughing at all.

the stamping of the folders was alright, prob. the best part.

also agree that it's the troglodyte (smell "jokes" and all)

kind of surprised that there didn't seem to be an iota of 4e info in there, but oh well ... expectations (both info and funnyness) weren't very high after the last videos anyway
EDIT: hmm, high will defense for trogs? - i guess that's something
If you can't convince them, confuse them. -Harry S Truman
not very funny. found myself not laughing at all.

the stamping of the folders was alright, prob. the best part.

also agree that it's the troglodyte (smell "jokes" and all)

kind of surprised that there didn't seem to be an iota of 4e info in there, but oh well ... expectations (both info and funnyness) weren't very high after the last videos anyway
EDIT: hmm, high will defense for trogs? - i guess that's something

And Mind Flayers apparently choose if their mind blast will be used to Enthrall the target or deal damage (so the brain can be eaten), but I think we had a mind flayer preview previously, so that's nothing new.

Like the other cartoons, not funny on the first watch, but I know I'll be quoting it later.

Oh, and yes, that's a Troglodyte - it says so on his folder when it's stamped.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Looked like an interview at MI5. Jamie Heynamen looking for more builders for Mythbusters.

Of course the gnome was just Adam sitting in to make some silly comments.

I guess then the GCube would be Adam's litle anti-walking device he always rides around in.

The troglodyte/whatever must have been Kari Byron in disguise from the flatus episode.

Which leaves you to wonder was the dwarf Grant or Tory? Do you go for the size comparison or the beard growing ability?

These toons are not in the least something that is promoting the articles or the game well. If they were for a cartoon show or video game they might be good. but for D&D which is mostly presented as a collection of gaming books, you really don't have much in the way of flash or other animation in the books. Some people prefer static text to read at their own leisure unlike all these videos and podcasts with no textual information to look at at your own speed.

They are funny little things and poke fun of the new edition very well to draw attention to it. Hopefully it isn't drawing the wrong attention.
The 3rd installment was funny. I've enjoyed them all so far.

I'm a monster...Ggrrr
Found it very funny. Especially the gelatinous cube and the brief return of our gnome friend.
Feel Free to add me as a friend. I am always looking for more of those around here The Pathfinder Archives: A WotC community dedicated to Pathfinder and the conversion/creation of new Feats, Races, Classes, Prestige Classes, Equipment and more. Haynz Designs: T-Shirts and more Designed by Fallensbane. Roleplaying Inspired merchandise available. Fallensbane on Deviant Art: My Deviant art page. I upload Photography, Photo-shop work and sometimes RPG Maps and Resources
The funniest part was sitting on the "replay" screen after, the lizard thing just talks on and on and on.

∴ "Virtus junxit, mors non separabit." 

Upon another watch through I noticed the names and races on the various files getting stamped. That is indeed a trog, Jeremy the Troglodyte, along with Mike the Human, Derek the Troll, Stephen the Gelatinous Cube, and Daniel, the Dwarf FTW!
Aesop had it right 2,500 years ago, "By endeavoring to please everyone, he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain".
I do enjoy WOTC dissing the gnome..

I've been doing it for years... and long overdue I might add. :D
"I'm a monster, RAWR!"

[FOOD]
Man, they just get better and better.
And Mind Flayers apparently choose if their mind blast will be used to Enthrall the target or deal damage (so the brain can be eaten), but I think we had a mind flayer preview previously, so that's nothing new.

Kinda sorta on the Mind Flayer. From the preview in Worlds and Monsters, Mind Flayers get mind blast as an encounter ability, and once they've hit with a tentacle grab (their basic attack), they can choose to either have a nice grey matter snack or make the target their thrall.

All in all, it had about as much new information as the first cartoon did, although there might be some more tidbits in what the interviewees say (can't hear them all too well while I'm at work). What I could hear/see was funny, though :D
Meh... maybe it needs more time to work on me, but this latest instalment was only amuseing... not really funny.

My fav. remains as the 2nd... then the first.
"I'm a monster, RAWR!"

[FOOD]

"glub blub blub glug" (with gnome inside)

[THRALL]

"glub blub blub glug" (with fruit bowl inside)

[DESSERT]
Okay, when the gnome popped up again with "I'm a monster!" I nearly peed my pants from laughing so hard.
"glub blub blub glug" (with gnome inside)

[THRALL]

"glub blub blub glug" (with fruit bowl inside)

[DESSERT]

That little exchange in the movie is what I still keep laughing at, and now I've watched it 3 times.
The reappearance of the gnome was my favorite part.
The gnome/tiefling episode is my favorite one, still.
Once again, very amusing. Well done Comic Team!

Now lets cast Haste on all of you and get one out before Fall, eh?

Nice job!
Extremely funny. My favirote part was the gnome popping up "I'm a monster, rarh!" And even funnier then that, the gnome being eaten by the gelatinous cube.
I absolutely loved it. Keep those great toons coming!

(but get the mags up to par first, so I'll actually pay for insider and be able to watch the toons).
These little toons are incredibly childish. Why is D&D dumbing down the game?
The British humor used in the cartoon is by no means dumbing down the game, if anything it's making it more sophisticated.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

The cartoons do NOT equal the game.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

What's New with Phil and Dixie, Wormy, Dork Tower, Nodwick, Order of the Stick, you remember any of those? You know the comics that ran in Dragon Magazine? Yeah, same thing.

Really though as all those can now be found online I wish that Dragon kept some exclusive webcomics of its own in addition to the cartoons, but as I can go read each of those (save Wormy) on their own sites no biggy.
Niced! It was fun.

Upon another watch through I noticed the names and races on the various files getting stamped. That is indeed a trog, Jeremy the Troglodyte, along with Mike the Human, Derek the Troll, Stephen the Gelatinous Cube, and Daniel, the Dwarf FTW!

Yeah, that was great. I have a lot of players pick generic real world names for their characters instead of the seemingly random rythm of sounds that passes for fantasy names. Both can be ridiculous. Maybe in 4e we'll see no more Mialees and Tordeks and more Douglases and Amandas.
rofl , even after mentioning the names , it's not picked upon that the gelatenous cube "actually wrote his name":P and not jusut in a bad scribble like the trog but in perfect scripted handwriting .. freaking gorgeous.. laughed like crazy when I noticed it the second time through:P
not only was it not funny, but why did the mind flayer label the gel cube as food OR a thrall.. very creative
What's New with Phil and Dixie, Wormy, Dork Tower, Nodwick, Order of the Stick, you remember any of those? You know the comics that ran in Dragon Magazine? Yeah, same thing.

Nope, not the same. The others you mention have a distinctly grown-up humor about them and are clearly targeted for adults. Ugly-art gnomes cheerfully spouting "I'm a monster, rawr!", and quivering gelatinous cubes eating said gnome... that's reminiscent of the jokes told by 8-9 yr old kids. These were poor, and it's clear that D&D is aiming for a non-adult audience.
My first thought was, "How does an Illithid eat a gelatinous cube's brain anyway?"

The British humor used in the cartoon is by no means dumbing down the game, if anything it's making it more sophisticated.

Fart jokes are sophisticated now? (Aside from that, I though it was great, especially the "Food" "Food" "Food" moment.)

This isn't "British humor", and it's far from sophisticated. Monty Python, Black Adder, Fawlty Towers, AbFab, Mr. Bean... those are British humor, and they have an adult sophistication to them.
Nope, not the same. The others you mention have a distinctly grown-up humor about them and are clearly targeted for adults. Ugly-art gnomes cheerfully spouting "I'm a monster, rawr!", and quivering gelatinous cubes eating said gnome... that's reminiscent of the jokes told by 8-9 yr old kids. These were poor, and it's clear that D&D is aiming for a non-adult audience.

yup the same... order of the stick has dumb jokes, http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0379.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0389.html

yea, those are real adult, come to think of it,
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0438.html
yea "I'm a monster Rawr" was dumb, so are most of my fav web comics though. if they are not your cup of tea...OK, there is no arguement that can make you like them. HOWEVER...I know no 8-9 year old role-players, My friends run the spectrum 21-40... something, and They all LOLed... so many people liked it and see it as the same, I just wish I had a link to the old paper issues "no one will ever take castle Nerf"
"Bonzi.." followed by a mob of multi colored rabbits attacking

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

yup the same... order of the stick has dumb jokes, ...

Sorry, but OotS outclasses these "made you look!" pre-teen toons by about a million to one.

Did you ever read Nodwick? Fart jokes and things getting eaten (particularly Nodwick) were staples. Face it you've made up your mind to hate it and are seeing the past through rose colored glasses. Really the level of humor is about the same.
Did you ever read Nodwick? Fart jokes and things getting eaten (particularly Nodwick) were staples. Face it you've made up your mind to hate it and are seeing the past through rose colored glasses. Really the level of humor is about the same.

I never followed Nodwick, really. Sorry about that.

As to being in the past with "rose colored glasses", other people (oh yeah - you) brought up Phil & Dixie, Wormy and OotS. And OotS isn't a "past" comic by any means... it's a current online comic with a huge following.

In any case, if you don't like negative opinions, maybe you should try ignoring them.
In any case, if you don't like negative opinions, maybe you should try ignoring them.

IMAGE(http://jcnot4me.com/images/pot_calls_kettle_black.bmp)

What's New had running gags about having sex in the comic, and it's biggest strip was about a scampish plushy-like dragon running amok. I mean, if that isn't nine-year old's humor, I don't know what is.
Nodwick had entire strips dedicated to farts
Dragonmirth was a strip based almost entirely on puns.
I really don't think the video cartoons compare disfavorably on maturity.

On a humor level? That's opinion, on which reasonable minds can (but sadly often don't) differ without being insulting. Me? I enjoy the videos, though I miss the strips.
Sorry, but OotS outclasses these "made you look!" pre-teen toons by about a million to one.

wow..I agree with you I think OotSis like a 9 out of 10, these online cartoons are like 6.5 maybe 7 but they are still both childish humor, and once agian... CASTLE NERF... or any of the Nordwick comics, you don't like these, fine, there are many strips I didn't like (Zooanger) and ones I thought were alright but could have been done better (downer) but the base is the same.

However if you like online comics try these, and let me know what you think...I warn you I put them in the same childish catagory I do with OotS...

Looking for group
Goblins...life through there eyes
DM of the ring
dndorks.com

Between them and order of the stick those are my D&D like comic fixes, and all of them share some really funny things, so I also see them in the cartoon. If you look through these and let me know what you think maybe we can understand eachother a little more... or worst case you might get a laugh or two out of it...

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

...However if you like online comics try these, and let me know what you think...I warn you I put them in the same childish catagory I do with OotS...

Heh... you "warn" me? Oh-tay then... :whatsthis

Is it really necessary that I explain my negative opinion in detail?
Is it really necessary that I explain my negative opinion in detail?

Quite the opposite. It would have been much better if you had not tried to justify how you categorize childish and nonchildish humor at all. Just say the cartoon isn't your cup of tea and leave it at that.
Quite the opposite. It would have been much better if you had not tried to justify how you categorize childish and nonchildish humor at all. Just say the cartoon isn't your cup of tea and leave it at that.

Well, thanks for letting us know exactly how people "should" express their negative opinions. Maybe you should get started on a form, and make it really detailed so people don't affront the wrong sensibilities.
It was okay. The main thing that bugs me about these cartoons is how the audio's volume isn't equalized and jumps all over the place.

The stampings and re-stampings were funny, especially for gelatinous cube. I liked seeing the gnome get labeled as food and then consumed by the cube, because let's face it, that gnome needed to die again. I like the animation style.

The voice acting was kind of annoying, doubly so with the unequalized volume problem: the dwarf's voice was really soft, while the mind flayer's slurping was too loud. I wasn't a fan of the fart jokes, not because they were crude or childish (they were), but because they just weren't really that funny. Not really sure why, but probably because they didn't have the punch to them that the dwarf or cube had. The trog just seemed to drag through the explanation and his insecurities, I guess.

Overall, not too bad, but I do want to see more 4e info in these things. :P
Sign In to post comments