New in Dragon: Busted Character

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Confessions of a Full-Time Wizard

I really like the crazy amount of customizability, but I've got to say that the model in Alpha was NRFPT.
And after all that, the result is awful.
We give the human Tabitha a reddish skin tone, attempting to give her a demon-from-another-plane look.

Didn't work, I'm afraid. I was expecting skin like lava. Instead we have sort of reddish. Oh look! It's HSB!
Here you can customize the look of your characters with everything from the chisel of their cheekbones to the arch of their eyebrows ...

And what you wind up with has a vacant expressionless look that would not be out of place on a blow-up sex doll (although sans the surprise).
This is the alpha version, don't forget," he says. "Soon we'll have a bust slider. That way, men will be able to depict the female characters they want, and women will be able to depict the female characters they want.

Can we give her some hips, then? She looks a little straight up-and-down to me. I like adult women , and they have babymaker hips - even if they are adventurers. "Tabitha" is going to have to deliver via C-section. And what about back, aka booty, aka ass? Not everyone who plays D&D is white. Tabitha here - I dunno. They've put her in a pose to help conceal it - but it looks to me like her legs are stuck on at the wrong place. And many women have almost no trunk at all - ribcage basically straight on top of the hips. Tabitha looks long and snaky in the trunk.

Yes, I appreciate that the human form is difficult, and faces even more so. I appreciate that customisable widgets are easier to code up and give you a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day (Look! Now you can do earrings!)
-- speaking of which, jewelry would not be difficult to add
but you'd get better overall results by spending a little more time on the basic shape. And that means quite a bit more than big tits/small tits.

As for the male form - meh. Ask a gay guy.

I mean, I don't want you to get all disheartened, but what can I say? After all that write-up abut glorious 3-D, I wasn't impressed by the result. Beyonce (my Drow archmage), will stay firmly in my imagination, thank you very much.
"Tabs gets comfy in a pair of skinny jeans, a T-shirt, and a pair of knee-high boots."

Interesting comment, alas the image displayed shows me little of anything.

Sliding bust appears, to me, a bizarre idea. There again I know others that indeed seek such things.
Plans are always subject to change.
Well, I have to say that I am utterly disappointed and am almost 95 % sure that I won't buy D&DI since it costs $20. I expect elder scrolls : Oblivion quality graphics, not second-life graphics. Second-life's graphics are free! We will be paying for this - come on WotC, hire some good graphics people!
Well, I have to say that I am utterly disappointed and am almost 95 % sure that I won't buy D&DI since it costs $20. I expect elder scrolls : Oblivion quality graphics, not second-life graphics. Second-life's graphics are free! We will be paying for this - come on WotC, hire some good graphics people!

Where do people keep quoting this $20 from?

The pricing is *AT MOST* $14.95/month - less if you buy multi-month packages (down to $9.99/month on an annual plan)

Also, keep in mind this was an ALPHA version she tested on - in an Alpha the main goal is to make sure the technology *works*. In Beta they'll add more (and higher quality) models.

The Alpha they were showing at DDXP made ugly humans, but the Dragonborn had a lot of nice detail on them. I expect they'll do more of the same with the other models when they get everything else working.

(Of course, they should stop pushing ugly pictures of the Alpha, frankly. People wouldn't get these misconceptions if WotC would quite showing off "not ready for prime-time" screenshots).
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Well the bust slider is a step in the right direction, now they need to make a waistline slider, two actually, one for front view and one for side view, that way you can have characters with childbearing hips or beer bellies if you choose instead of simply having a generic thin or fat.
wizards of the coast, like this alpha, is second rate. they're like the chicago cubs org.... the fans are so loyal, you can put out a second rate product year
after year and the fans will buy it.
Can we give her some hips, then? She looks a little straight up-and-down to me. I like adult women , and they have babymaker hips - even if they are adventurers. "Tabitha" is going to have to deliver via C-section. And what about back, aka booty, aka ass? Not everyone who plays D&D is white. Tabitha here - I dunno. They've put her in a pose to help conceal it - but it looks to me like her legs are stuck on at the wrong place. And many women have almost no trunk at all - ribcage basically straight on top of the hips. Tabitha looks long and snaky in the trunk.

And all those traits mentioned are not only appreciated by non-white players as my Irish butt adores each of those.

wizards of the coast, like this alpha, is second rate. they're like the chicago cubs org.... the fans are so loyal, you can put out a second rate product year after year and the fans will buy it.

Ouch! That was a bit harsh on the Cubs fans, as a Chicago native that cut pretty deep, but it rings true...hopefully this year. At least we still have the soccer team, they seem to be pretty hot!
Ouch on WotC too, though I can't say I completely disagree with you, just seems that could have been put a bit more respectfully.

See the problem with WotC and the D&D initiative, at least as I see it is that they are making a product to appeal to the newest generation what I refer to as the gimmie generation (see below), but in doing so they are almost alienating their long standing fans, by simplifying it too much and adding too much power gamer to it.

The gimmie generation is the generation of kids that grew up in an age of video games and technology, rather then having to leave the house to play. They have had everything handed to them, rather then learning the value of working and earning. They have a diagnosis for obesity where past generations have had "put the twinkies down, get off your ass and go ride a bike, play football in the front or god forbid mow the lawn". The kids that don't read much so why give them too many rules as they will loose interest because A.D.D. will kick in. etc...
I am not saying they are all like that, but when I look out my front window I never see any kids outside playing (other then my own) and I know there are at least 20 on the block.
Sign In to post comments