Custom textures for tiles and v-minis? A suggestion.

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
From what I've seen, Game Table looks great. However, as a computer artist, I am wondering about its flexibility for modification.

If it's possible, the first thing I'd want to do is change all of the tiles to make them look like a black-and-white 1e module map. I would use symbols (stairs, pits, secret doors, etc.) identical to the map seen on p. 95 of the 1e Dungeon Master's Guide. I would also want to change the textures of all the v-minis to unpainted lead gray. I would call it the "Classic D&D Texture Set" for Game Table.

Why would I want to do this? I'm sure that younger gamers who love modern online computer games would be befuddled by my desire to make Game Table look "worse." There are several reason why I would want to do this.

I loved playing D&D on 1-inch graph paper or a vinyl mat where I drew the map in the "classic" D&D map style that was established with first edition. With only symbolic representations of the environment, most of the details of a given encounter area were left to the imaginations of the DM and players.

Also, I and many of my friends were never very interested in painting lead miniatures so we usually left them gray. Unpainted miniatures also left some of the characters' details to the imaginations of the players. It was usually impossible to find miniatures that looked just like a particular PC. Sure, it's nice that we'll be able to design our own PC v-minis. But, as is the case with all computer games, it will still be impossible to make v-minis look exactly like a particular PC. If a player can design a v-mini that looks close to his or her imagined look for a PC, leaving it gray would visually blur the finer details of the figure and leave the rest to imagination.

I would love to be able to change the textures myself but I fear that WotC will not permit third-party modification of their 4e D&D programs. If it's not possible, this would be a neutral compromise.

This feature would be simple to implement. Put a radio button someplace in preferences that switches it to the "classic style." It would also help lighten any burden on computer systems because it would use a 256-color or less color palette. As a professional computer artist experienced with game design and modification, I know this with certainty. Give the task to an intern pixel monkey and he could have a set of textures by the end of the day.

What do you think, sirs?
I doubt they'll have a setting for "retro/classic" view.

HOWEVER, I do know that you can import any images you want for your maps. If you want to use graph paper, go for it. There are also options to draw maps on the fly (shown at DDXP as drawing white walls on a black background, but they said you can set the background color as you see fit, so I'd imagine the wall color could be changed as well).

With the drawing tool you can choose to "snap-to grid" or turn that off, which should allow you to draw logos and icons as you choose.

For the minis, you can set the color of your mini as it's created, using either a palette selected for your race/class, or turning that off and using any colors you want. Since that gives you access to a color wheel, I suppose that would let you choose a "lead grey" color for the mini's "stuff" (skin color, armor, weapons, etc).

That would leave monster mini's (don't appear to be editable, but I could be wrong), and the default dungeon tiles and the 3D tiles as colored.

Still, it's a partial solution.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

That would leave monster mini's (don't appear to be editable, but I could be wrong), and the default dungeon tiles and the 3D tiles as colored.

The system will support 2-D monster mini's with any picture of your choice. So you can customize the look of the 2-D mini.
The system will support 2-D monster mini's with any picture of your choice. So you can customize the look of the 2-D mini.

. . . wow. I'm usually the one pointing that out. Good catch.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

What do the 2-d monster minis look like? Are they flat on the ground, like those round chits that came with one of the basic sets? Or do they look like stand-up cardboard cut-outs?
They're round discs not unlike a virtual version of Alea Tools' discs. You can "punch out" any image you want to be the top of the mini disc.

So, if I wanted to be a monster ("RAWR! I'm a MONSTER!") I could take a picture of my ugly mug, use the tool to cut a perfect circle around my face, and import that on top of a "disc".

Viola! I'm a monster. (I got a LAIR! My own LAIR! Do YOU get a lair?)

They're round discs not unlike a virtual version of Alea Tools' discs. You can "punch out" any image you want to be the top of the mini disc.

So, if I wanted to be a monster ("RAWR! I'm a MONSTER!") I could take a picture of my ugly mug, use the tool to cut a perfect circle around my face, and import that on top of a "disc".

Viola! I'm a monster. (I got a LAIR! My own LAIR! Do YOU get a lair?)

That sounds like an acceptable solution for now.

However, as has been a constant point of criticism in other threads, it is unacceptable that WotC will not allow users to create their own 3-d models of whatever they want. They need to seriously reconsider their pricing scheme.
Sign In to post comments