Character Builder printing issues

199 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is incredibly frustrating. I feel like I've wasted hours of my day, first converting characters to the DDI CB, then in trying to print them at all.

No matter what, I'm getting basically no margins, or margins entirely on the right side of the page. Usually, too, the XP total and Languages and Thievery are cut off. (I'm trying to print portrait, but I'd settle for anything.)

Trying to rescale in Adobe Acrobat Reader or in Mac's Preview.app both fail.

I have now converted all my party and the major NPCs, and ... I can't print them without losing data? This is totally insane. I will gladly undertake any debugging steps just so I can print these darn things.
Just to note the (horrible) workaround that I'm now doing: I print to a CutePDF-generated PDF file. This generates an 8.5 x 11 character sheet with no margins. Seriously, the printing goes absolutely all the way to the edges. It is insane. Here is the file generated: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/88746/ddi-cb/cute-char.pdf

This is basically unprintable. If I try to "scale to fit page" it just isn't good enough. Instead, I print that PDF to another PDF, this time to "Note" sized paper -- 7.5 x 10 inches. I tell it to scale to fit that page. Now I can print that scaled-down PDF to my printer. Here's the PDF: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/88746/ddi-cb/scaled-cute-char.pdf

So, my steps are: open character, print to PDF, open PDF, print to PDF, open PDF, print to printer.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will note that when I print to a physical printer, it's being shared via VMWare. That said, absolutely nothing else has even been weird or given me problems printing, and it looks like there's a well-established history of printing issues, here, that look like mine.
That's weird, when I print (I just tried) I do get margins. Small ones, but margins nonetheless. (Note this is not me saying that you don't have a problem, just taht I don't have it).

I will pass this up to the DDI staff for them to take a look at.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
This is incredibly frustrating. I feel like I've wasted hours of my day, first converting characters to the DDI CB, then in trying to print them at all.

No matter what, I'm getting basically no margins, or margins entirely on the right side of the page. Usually, too, the XP total and Languages and Thievery are cut off. (I'm trying to print portrait, but I'd settle for anything.)

Trying to rescale in Adobe Acrobat Reader or in Mac's Preview.app both fail.

I have now converted all my party and the major NPCs, and ... I can't print them without losing data? This is totally insane. I will gladly undertake any debugging steps just so I can print these darn things.

Do you have an HP printer?
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
No, I'm mostly trying to print to PDFs with useful margins, but the printer I have been printing to directly is a Canon Pixma MX301, I think. I'm printing via VMWare, but this works for everything else. Later, I can try printing directly over USB.

Also, this isn't just a printer issue. It's software. Look at this screenshot of the output in the character viewer:

http://skitch.com/rjbs/bp6m4/charsheet-cropped

It's cropping the on-screen data already!
I was curious because HP printers sometimes have a hard time with PDF printing due to HP thinkign that they can put out their own PDF standard, so when a program prints as a PDF there sometimes is a communication problem. I usually print to a PDF driver first then to my printer and then it works fine. although not with the issues you're having. i just can't print directly from the program itself.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
i just can't print directly from the program itself.

I've mostly given up trying to print out the sheets (which as mentioned, makes it a bit less useful as a gaming tool). I can get a decent printout if I do the print-open-print-reopen-print-for-real shuffle, but usually, it's not worth the effort.
I was previously able to print just fine. Now when I try and print i get an error that reads:

PrintTicket provider failed to convert DEVMODE to PrintTicket. Win32error: -2147221164

I get this error regardless of whether i print to my printer or print to file. I am able to use my printer for all other sources that I know of without any issues.

I did not used to get this error. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the character builder and I still receive the error. As i don't own a laptop this makes the character builder far less useful to me.
I was previously able to print just fine. Now when I try and print i get an error that reads:

PrintTicket provider failed to convert DEVMODE to PrintTicket. Win32error: -2147221164

I get this error regardless of whether i print to my printer or print to file. I am able to use my printer for all other sources that I know of without any issues.

I did not used to get this error. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the character builder and I still receive the error. As i don't own a laptop this makes the character builder far less useful to me.

I am getting this exact same error regardless of printing to the printer or to file. I even manually wiped the the registry (windows xp) of all sources of character builder then did a reinstall and I am still getting this error. Not sure what to do. It's local to the computer because I was able to print with character builder over the network to the same printer.
I haven't had any major problems so far, but now my character's power cards are being displayed twice in the printable character sheets. I've tried all of the different settings in the Character Viewer and none of them seem to fix the problem. Is there a way to fix this?
Okay here's my issue, that I can't seem to solve or find it on the boards anywhere to figure out if someone else has solved it.

When printing an 11th level rogue/cloaked sniper I lose part of the descriptions of his path features in the class/path/destiny features box. Is there anyway around this so I don't lose this information? I've not loaded any of the parties other paragon classes into the CB yet to see if it's an anomaly but I'm thinking it's not.

Thanks.
I had the same error with charachter builder cropping the right or left side about 5-10mm when printing. I checked out this forum, and tried a few things. It turns out, at least in my case, that character builder just needs a restart after having set the A4 format.
I had the same error with charachter builder cropping the right or left side about 5-10mm when printing. I checked out this forum, and tried a few things. It turns out, at least in my case, that character builder just needs a restart after having set the A4 format.

it's been fixed now with the ability to resize the columns that came with the last update.

thanks.

Hi do I select the A4 format?
I have the latest version...

This is really frustrating. I don't understand why i have to pay month after month and this crucial issue is not fixed yet - or if it fixed, i have to go to a forum to understand how to do it right.
Hi there, I posted a new thread before seeing that there was already as thread on printing issues.

What seems to work to get you printing to work correctly (for me at least) is to have the printer you want to print to set as default, and have all the setting set up on your printer defaults before even opening the character sheet.

the character sheets seems to take all it's layout measurements when it opens on your default printer, and does not recalculate it if you change your printer/settings.

For instance my printer defaults to A4, but to print the power cards, I have to change it to letter otherwise they do not print the correct size. If i change my paper size to letter in the print dialog from the character sheet, all it does is chop off the bottom of my power cards.

If however I change the defaults on my printer and then print my power cards, they print correctly.

It's a silly way of getting it to work, but at least it works (for me).

Hopefully Wizards can fix this issue soon

Cheerz
Hein
I can't print letter, which is a real shame as it does appear that when the character builder prints in A4 it actually distorts the page, rather than resizing (X&Y by the same percentage), or reformating.

This means the power cards aren't a standard size (don't fit in card wallets pretty bad), text is tall and thin (not really a problem), and worse of all portrait images get distorted (leading to "Why the long face?" jokes).

Can you fix this please.

I am getting this error. Just subscribed and downloaded the program.
Check to make sure that all of your stuff is up to date (go to mfg website for driver updates etc).
If you are still having a problem, uninstall and reinstall the program. You get 5 installs a month so unless you have 5 comps you are putting this on, you should be fine.

All that failing...download bullzip pdf printer, print to it and save it as a pdf and see if that works...its an extra step but it also gives you the ability to let people look at your char without the program so its a bonus as well.
Check to make sure that all of your stuff is up to date (go to mfg website for driver updates etc).
If you are still having a problem, uninstall and reinstall the program. You get 5 installs a month so unless you have 5 comps you are putting this on, you should be fine.

All that failing...download bullzip pdf printer, print to it and save it as a pdf and see if that works...its an extra step but it also gives you the ability to let people look at your char without the program so its a bonus as well.

Did all that. Plus uninstalled the .NET 3.5 SP1 and made sure it was up to date. Tried several of the pdf programs. CutePdf, primopdf, and Image printer and the bullzip pdf printer it didn't work. Still got same error message. Yet these same printers work with everything else.
I'm getting the exact same error when I try to print:

Unfortunately that doesn't really help you, but you're not the only one with this issue.
Sounds like your running windows on a PC....come over to the light...mac runs windows better than a PC does....I use boot camp and have not troubles...
Did all that. Plus uninstalled the .NET 3.5 SP1 and made sure it was up to date. Tried several of the pdf programs. CutePdf, primopdf, and Image printer and the bullzip pdf printer it didn't work. Still got same error message. Yet these same printers work with everything else.

Well, I emailed customer support, and the first thing they suggested was to reinstall Windows.
Well, I emailed customer support, and the first thing they suggested was to reinstall Windows.

Yeah isn't that the solution to everything. Reinstall window and 50 plus other programs you own. along with the gigabytes of back up documents that you may have backed up.

Dialog of Tech support.

Caller: I have a problem
Tech: Reinstall windows.
Caller: But..I
Tech: Reinstall windows
Caller: Look I am trying to tell you.
Tech: Reinstall window.
Caller: I have reinstalled windows that is my problem. It still doesn't work.
Tech: One moment please.
Caller: *On hold* pleasant music though.
Tech: Try to reinstall windows again.

If they just add a pdf export function all would be solved instead of relying on Microsoft Net 3.5 to print the sheet. Seems odd that my printing works with everything else just not the printing function of the DDI character builder. And when I do get the error it wants to send the report to DDI wizards of the coast not Microsoft.
For what it's worth, I'm still able to print fine from other .NET applications, such as as Paint.NET. I also tried launching the character viewer by itself and printing, but it still crashes. In that case, however, it does try to send a ticket to Microsoft.
For what it's worth, I'm still able to print fine from other .NET applications, such as as Paint.NET. I also tried launching the character viewer by itself and printing, but it still crashes. In that case, however, it does try to send a ticket to Microsoft.

Worth a lot. I was just now looking for another .net program to download and try. Tells me it is the DDI Character builder and not .net.

I am not going to reinstall windows for just one program. I rather just discontinue my DDI subscription and Roll them dice and use notebook paper. That hasn't failed me for years.
Just FYI, I have had the character builder since it launched, and have been able to print fine until this month. Also, I have two friends who are on the same network as I am (at work) and they can print fine.

I'm hoping this will be resolved with next month's update.
Ok if you have other people who can print fine on your network using the CB then it is totally your PC that is the problem and not the CB itself...
So I beleive you said you reinstalled the CB...but did you first uninstall it and make sure you remove all associated files (i'd make a copy of all of your chars in another location)...reboot the whole computer..maybe a couple of times knowing winblows...then download the latest downloader to reinstall...
If all of those are still not helping you to print a char...bring that file over to a friends comp and see if their CB has problems...there is a chance that it might be a matter the character got bugged (yeah which means no one thing can specificially be connected to that as many things on winblows can corrupt data).
If they just add a pdf export function all would be solved instead of relying on Microsoft Net 3.5 to print the sheet.

That's my thoughts exactly. I have printing issue since June update (no borders and part of text cropped). It would be much easier to be able to save the character viewer directly as a PDF, if you want to print it from the job but don't want to install CB at your job office. I know CutePDF or other can do it too but it's just not right you have to install a third party software in order to enjoy CB possibilities.

BTW, once I discovered CB, I was totally overjoyed. This is just so fast to create character, keep track of bonus/levels and creating random character for DM. The software is well done, good graphic, easy to use. Just too bad printing issue still seem to appear. After all, what is the point of using CB if you can't have a hard copy to bring along at your next game?
Are you sure you are checking your print settings when you tell it to print? You might want to check your ratio for printing...borders...and other size related options. They may have toggled off a default "print template" that chose certain options automatically that you have come to rely on without even knowing it.

I do have one problem with printing that always irritates me...no matter how many times I tell it to print in B/W and as a Fast Print option it still prints it slowly in color...so I just "print" it as a pdf with bullzip and then print from adobe...I then also have a pdf of my char if I need to send it to somebody or the program crashes while the file is open corrupting it, which has happened (GOD why did they use windows as the OS for the CB?Really? Worst option ever...Java would have been better :P )
FYI, my character builder is still crashing when I try to print with the new update.
FYI, my character builder is still crashing when I try to print with the new update.

Same here. Like I said I am not reinstalling windows for one program that doesn't print. To me it is the program not my computer as printing works on everything else.

I can print the compendium stuff. Print from the monster builder. I just can't print the Character builder sheets because it crashes.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled 3.5 net. Uninstalled and reinstalled the Character builder.

So the problem lies within the program itself. A cut and paste feature, copy to the clipboard. Save as PDF. Save as a JPEG. would be a nice addition if they can't fix the printing issue. But failure to address the issue or even comment on the fact that we are aware of the problem. Is rather disconcerting.
Well but the real problem here isn't the program...it is your computer otherwise everyone would have problems printing. Just because other programs on YOUR computer can print doesn't mean its not YOUR computer that is the problem. Lets face it, you are using Winblows...there can be any number of reasons why the OS or other programs on the comp are the issue and not the CB.

I know that doesn't help, but its the down side of them creating the CB to be an installed program on a Winblows machine isntead of a net based java program or that only worked on say the Mac OS...Winblows has no real quality control when it comes to things working together (had a printer that couldn't be installed on my computer that my scanner was installed on, but I could install both on a buddies with no problems).
Well but the real problem here isn't the program...it is your computer otherwise everyone would have problems printing. Just because other programs on YOUR computer can print doesn't mean its not YOUR computer that is the problem. Lets face it, you are using Winblows...there can be any number of reasons why the OS or other programs on the comp are the issue and not the CB.

This could very well be. A glitch in windows. But I look at it this way. This isn't a program I have paid 9.95 for. One that I bought as is. This is an ongoing subscription program. Where I pay my 6 or 7 dollars a month to have updated and to use.

The should at the very least consider giving their subscribers some of the features the would like. Such as an export to PDF.

Oh it would seem that it is more than me that is having this issue, for what ever reason. To say it works for half our subscribers and not doing anything about it, is a slap in the face of the other half who would like to benefit from the money they are spending on this as well as other products that are going to be introduced in D&DI.

They already slapped us when they didn't come through with the Game Table and dungeon designer.
That's my thoughts exactly. I have printing issue since June update (no borders and part of text cropped). It would be much easier to be able to save the character viewer directly as a PDF, if you want to print it from the job but don't want to install CB at your job office. I know CutePDF or other can do it too but it's just not right you have to install a third party software in order to enjoy CB possibilities.

Print to PDF should be provided. However, since they chose Windows as their sole platform they'll have to provide themselves or direct people to 3rd party apps.

Of course you can print to PDF natively from OS X. Maybe one day MS will get with the program.
This could very well be. A glitch in windows. But I look at it this way. This isn't a program I have paid 9.95 for. One that I bought as is. This is an ongoing subscription program. Where I pay my 6 or 7 dollars a month to have updated and to use.

The should at the very least consider giving their subscribers some of the features the would like. Such as an export to PDF.

Oh it would seem that it is more than me that is having this issue, for what ever reason. To say it works for half our subscribers and not doing anything about it, is a slap in the face of the other half who would like to benefit from the money they are spending on this as well as other products that are going to be introduced in D&DI.

They already slapped us when they didn't come through with the Game Table and dungeon designer.

You know...not trying to rankle you here but...just because you are paying a monthly subscription doesn't somehow make it their programing that is bad...if like you said half the people have printing issues that are unresolved yes it would totally be in their court...but the fact is it is such a small percentage that for them to even begin to address the problem would be monumental (just adding a pdf export may or may not alleiviate the problem depending on if they are still using a print function to do it [the easiest legal way without infringing on Adobe CR], likely you would still have a problem) since it is such a small percentage of the people who use the program. With winblows there are so many variables that can go wrong that for one program to fix the bug would require some significant direct communication between each affected user and the R&D team to track down the specific cause of the error. The only way for that to really be doable would be for you to let them tunnel into your comp while you are on it and directly observe the running processes during the crash.

Have you actually directly emailed their customer service? Or have you just posted here? Just posting here may not get you a sufficient response.

Have you wiped all of your printers form your computer...I mean a full wipe...drivers and all...gone to the MFG website and checked for latest updates and installed those...or even better is after doing that and still problem have you installed the oldest workable driver you can for that printer? As silly as it sounds sometimes the printer drivers become "too advanced" and cause problems...(had a Canon do that on me). Also was it designed for your version of windows (ie made for xp and you use vista or vice versa), just because they made a "compatability driver and software" doesn't mean it truely is.

And no this isn't some "fanboy" attempt at "defending wotc" or anything, its just realistic looks at the situation based off the fairly low murmur of printing issues combined with the sick facts of using winblows or microshaft anything. And I know you don't want to reinstall windows...but seriously it could be as simple as that...how long has it been since you had windows installed on your computer? With all the patches and updates things that you need to do to keep your windows up to date, there likely could be a conflict that comes from that..if you reinstall windows it actually fix any number of problems...and the silly thing is when you update you will be doing alot of "combined" updates instead of the piecemeal you did before..and they actually install better that way for some silly reason (likely there was a bug they never admitted to).
When I emailed customer support, they were less than helpful.

My current guess is that both Bizelplyx and I have installed another app that includes a "newer" version of a dll that the Character Builder shares, but is somehow not compatible with. I can't for the life of me figure out what app (or what dll) that is though.
Like I have said. It boils down to this. Reinstall windows. Lose all the freebie programs I have and use, that are not replaceable, for just one program that is not working correctly? I think not.

Like I said before. Paper, Pencil, and Dice have never failed me. I will most likely use that method of generating characters. Or like most just subscribe one month every quarter to get an updated version of the program.

Unless they blow me out of the water with the up coming adventure tools, that is most likely what I would do.

When the needs of the working programs out way the needs of one not working program. Reinstalling windows is not a viable solution.

And yes we get you are a mac guy. Must you continually use the words Windblows and Microshaft in your post over and over? It kinda gets annoying and I will skip your advice in the future. When it comes to windows there are more games to play with that operating system than a Mac.

The only reason I subscribed to D&DI was the promise of the Table Top Gaming that I saw on YouTube. Now if there were anywhere on there website that they discontinued this product. I would not have subscribed. Now I am disappointed with the printing options of the Character builder.

Yes I have found a way around it. Such as Print Screen Function and then cut and paste into a JPEG. then Print to PDF. It takes a little extra time. But the fact remains I shouldn't have to do it.

Not reinstalling windows for just one program! Not when everything works fine for all, and I repeat all my other programs. And it would matter not if it is a windows problem, or the Character builder problem.

Me personally I don't like Windows. But Mac doesn't offer many games to chose from, which is why is use a computer. If I had a wish I wish Amiga, and the Amiga operating system were the preference of the Day. It blew Mac away. And still does.
hell yeah the Amiga was AWESOME!! it's taken the PC 25 years to get near it's level of stability, 20 years to get multitasking etc!!

anyone who played Eye of the Beholder on PC AND on the Amiga can recall the difference...Amiga version even had a proper bloody ending!! ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtU9ZWTm5bA
--| SILVERBLADES SUITCASE |-- Dark Sun & Spelljammer digital art & tutorials
Yes I have found a way around it. Such as Print Screen Function and then cut and paste into a JPEG. then Print to PDF. It takes a little extra time. But the fact remains I shouldn't have to do it.

This is how I work around the problem:

• Print to PDF with Primo (Bullzip would probably work, too)
  • Print the PDF to another PDF with a smaller custom page size (I use 8"x10")
  • Then print the "shrunk" PDF to regular sized real paper with scaling turned off.

I have also printed the custom size PDF to yet another regular sized PDF.

YMMV, but the output quality is pretty good. I have filed a bug report on this, but I have not heard back.
I killed Aleena.
This is how I work around the problem:

• Print to PDF with Primo (Bullzip would probably work, too)
  • Print the PDF to another PDF with a smaller custom page size (I use 8"x10")
  • Then print the "shrunk" PDF to regular sized real paper with scaling turned off.

I have also printed the custom size PDF to yet another regular sized PDF.

YMMV, but the output quality is pretty good. I have filed a bug report on this, but I have not heard back.

See that is the problem. I can't get it to print to any type printer. Not even the PDF printers. I have downloaded and installed about six of those. It crashes whenever I click on the print button. So I have to use the method I described if I want a hard copy of my character sheet.
Sign In to post comments