This is incredibly frustrating. I feel like I've wasted hours of my day, first converting characters to the DDI CB, then in trying to print them at all.
No matter what, I'm getting basically no margins, or margins entirely on the right side of the page. Usually, too, the XP total and Languages and Thievery are cut off. (I'm trying to print portrait, but I'd settle for anything.)
Trying to rescale in Adobe Acrobat Reader or in Mac's Preview.app both fail.
I have now converted all my party and the major NPCs, and ... I can't print them without losing data? This is totally insane. I will gladly undertake any debugging steps just so I can print these darn things.
i just can't print directly from the program itself.
I was previously able to print just fine. Now when I try and print i get an error that reads:
PrintTicket provider failed to convert DEVMODE to PrintTicket. Win32error: -2147221164
I get this error regardless of whether i print to my printer or print to file. I am able to use my printer for all other sources that I know of without any issues.
I did not used to get this error. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the character builder and I still receive the error. As i don't own a laptop this makes the character builder far less useful to me.
I had the same error with charachter builder cropping the right or left side about 5-10mm when printing. I checked out this forum, and tried a few things. It turns out, at least in my case, that character builder just needs a restart after having set the A4 format.
Check to make sure that all of your stuff is up to date (go to mfg website for driver updates etc).
If you are still having a problem, uninstall and reinstall the program. You get 5 installs a month so unless you have 5 comps you are putting this on, you should be fine.
All that failing...download bullzip pdf printer, print to it and save it as a pdf and see if that works...its an extra step but it also gives you the ability to let people look at your char without the program so its a bonus as well.
Did all that. Plus uninstalled the .NET 3.5 SP1 and made sure it was up to date. Tried several of the pdf programs. CutePdf, primopdf, and Image printer and the bullzip pdf printer it didn't work. Still got same error message. Yet these same printers work with everything else.
Well, I emailed customer support, and the first thing they suggested was to reinstall Windows.
For what it's worth, I'm still able to print fine from other .NET applications, such as as Paint.NET. I also tried launching the character viewer by itself and printing, but it still crashes. In that case, however, it does try to send a ticket to Microsoft.
If they just add a pdf export function all would be solved instead of relying on Microsoft Net 3.5 to print the sheet.
FYI, my character builder is still crashing when I try to print with the new update.
Well but the real problem here isn't the program...it is your computer otherwise everyone would have problems printing. Just because other programs on YOUR computer can print doesn't mean its not YOUR computer that is the problem. Lets face it, you are using Winblows...there can be any number of reasons why the OS or other programs on the comp are the issue and not the CB.
That's my thoughts exactly. I have printing issue since June update (no borders and part of text cropped). It would be much easier to be able to save the character viewer directly as a PDF, if you want to print it from the job but don't want to install CB at your job office. I know CutePDF or other can do it too but it's just not right you have to install a third party software in order to enjoy CB possibilities.
This could very well be. A glitch in windows. But I look at it this way. This isn't a program I have paid 9.95 for. One that I bought as is. This is an ongoing subscription program. Where I pay my 6 or 7 dollars a month to have updated and to use.
The should at the very least consider giving their subscribers some of the features the would like. Such as an export to PDF.
Oh it would seem that it is more than me that is having this issue, for what ever reason. To say it works for half our subscribers and not doing anything about it, is a slap in the face of the other half who would like to benefit from the money they are spending on this as well as other products that are going to be introduced in D&DI.
They already slapped us when they didn't come through with the Game Table and dungeon designer.
Yes I have found a way around it. Such as Print Screen Function and then cut and paste into a JPEG. then Print to PDF. It takes a little extra time. But the fact remains I shouldn't have to do it.
This is how I work around the problem:Print to PDF with Primo (Bullzip would probably work, too)Print the PDF to another PDF with a smaller custom page size (I use 8"x10")Then print the "shrunk" PDF to regular sized real paper with scaling turned off.
I have also printed the custom size PDF to yet another regular sized PDF.
YMMV, but the output quality is pretty good. I have filed a bug report on this, but I have not heard back.