Character Builder printing issues

199 posts / 0 new
Last post
Please use this thread for discussionof problems with the printing out of character sheets or power cards.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
First of all...

Wow. Very impressed with the overall quality of this product - even in its beta stage. I was just giddy when I saw my first printout...

...which is where I noticed a minor issue:

Example: Genasi Swordmage (Level 1) - Lightning Clash Encounter Power

*chose Bastard Sword as my feat and equipped/purchased one*

On the printed Powercard itself, under the -

"Your stats using Bastard Sword" there is no text. I am assuming because of the placement that there was simply no room to print the same text as it did with every other Weapon key word power.

(Example: Under other weapon keyword powers, I have the line that reads:
+7 attack bonus, 1d10+5 damage or something similiar)

If this is the case (being a space issue), perhaps have the text auto-scale if it seems to be running out of room on the card. No big deal for me to write in the damage (it is just 1[W] +INT mod), but an issue nonetheless.
The viewer/printing of the character sheet cuts off the last few lines on the first sheet, regardless of portrait/landscape. I can unlock the items, move some things around, and get the lines to display. However, the defaults probably should show every line without the need to do this.

In my viewer, the Portrait view ends at the Religion line in Skills. In Landscape view, it makes it to showing most of Thievery, but the word "Thievery" can't be seen (so, about the last 1/3 of the line is gone) plus anything below that. It prints as seen (without these lines).

On the power cards page, the words "ACTION" and "RANGE" have the bottom few pixels of cut off on the line. Looks like they are set to bottom of square and need to be reset to Centered.
Balance = Equally effective, but different, ways of reaching a goal or overcoming an obstacle.
What OS are you on?
Mike Donais. Cryptozoic R&D
First of all...
On the printed Powercard itself, under the -

"Your stats using Bastard Sword" there is no text. I am assuming because of the placement that there was simply no room to print the same text as it did with every other Weapon key word power.

(Example: Under other weapon keyword powers, I have the line that reads:
+7 attack bonus, 1d10+5 damage or something similiar)

If this is the case (being a space issue), perhaps have the text auto-scale if it seems to be running out of room on the card. No big deal for me to write in the damage (it is just 1[W] +INT mod), but an issue nonetheless.

After playing with the Character Sheet option "Hide Personalized Power Card Info" I noticed the same bug on my fighter's "Tide of Iron" power.

Other powers (like Passing Attack) seem to scale if I add/remove that data - so it seems to be a bug with the Tide of Iron power, and not just space being skipped because of a lack of scaling.

What power(s) do you see the error on?
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

After playing with the Character Sheet option "Hide Personalized Power Card Info" I noticed the same bug on my fighter's "Tide of Iron" power.

Other powers (like Passing Attack) seem to scale if I add/remove that data - so it seems to be a bug with the Tide of Iron power, and not just space being skipped because of a lack of scaling.

What power(s) do you see the error on?

The only one I noticed it on thus far is Lightning Clash. Hrm. You said you can add/remove data from the powercards? How? With the "Hide Personalized Power Card Info" setting?

EDIT: Even though it doesn't actually count (weapon damage in this case), it still lists the line "Your stats using Bastard Sword" under another power (Lightning Lure), and again lists nothing else underneath (in this particular case, the damage with or without my sword is the same, as it is a non-magical sword. Even if I was using it as an implement, there is no plus since it is a normal sword).
The only one I noticed it on thus far is Lightning Clash. Hrm. You said you can add/remove data from the powercards? How? With the "Hide Personalized Power Card Info" setting?

Yup. On the Character Sheet go to the OPTIONS menu - the last item in the list is "Hide (or Show) Personalized Power Card Info".
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Yup. On the Character Sheet go to the OPTIONS menu - the last item in the list is "Hide (or Show) Personalized Power Card Info".

Darn. Tried that like you. No difference. This seems to be a bug. Odd one at that. I suppose that's what beta is for! I do hope this is something that will be looked into. All the wonderful automation is what makes this application so attractive!
I found that each page is printed off as a separate job, which is irritating when printing to PDF (it /could/ just be my print software, but that doesn't seem as likely).
The power card for Lead the Attack for my Genasi Warlord looks a little messed up: http://www.tomshut.de/rpg/messed-up.GIF. Link to character save file: http://www.tomshut.de/rpg/Kaddim-sul.dnd4e

Ceterum censeo capsum rubeum esse delendam

The viewer/printing of the character sheet cuts off the last few lines on the first sheet, regardless of portrait/landscape. I can unlock the items, move some things around, and get the lines to display. However, the defaults probably should show every line without the need to do this.

In my viewer, the Portrait view ends at the Religion line in Skills. In Landscape view, it makes it to showing most of Thievery, but the word "Thievery" can't be seen (so, about the last 1/3 of the line is gone) plus anything below that. It prints as seen (without these lines).

On the power cards page, the words "ACTION" and "RANGE" have the bottom few pixels of cut off on the line. Looks like they are set to bottom of square and need to be reset to Centered.

Mine does the same thing, I move things around a bit and I can get all the skills to show up. I'm using Vista SP1.
Mine does the same thing, I move things around a bit and I can get all the skills to show up. I'm using Vista SP1.

Same thing here...using the default layout, the bottom of the skills gets cut off...actually there might be some of the right hand column also cut off. Vista SP1. Will try a totally different SP1 machine tomorrow with different printer drivers.

Alvo
I have seen some sheets floating around that have the skills correctly listed, but mine are cut off as well at religion. How are people getting around this?
I found that each page is printed off as a separate job, which is irritating when printing to PDF (it /could/ just be my print software, but that doesn't seem as likely).

Nope, happened to me too. BTW, if you want freeware software that will combine PDFs, I found this one: PDF Split and Merge Basic Version.
I have seen some sheets floating around that have the skills correctly listed, but mine are cut off as well at religion. How are people getting around this?

What I did as a quick fix is to go to OPTIONS --> UNLOCK PANELS, then I move the INITIATIVE panel over one column to the right (pushing down the DEFENSES panel), allowing the SKILLS panel to move up. Now, this ALSO pushes the LANGUAGES KNOWN panel right off the page, but I don't really need this one on the sheet at the moment, so off it goes!

Alvo
OS Vista Home Premium

When Viewing character sheet in either landscape or portrait mode the bottom lines of the sheet are cut off. viewing in XP seems to be okay.
I installed the char builder on my notebook which runs windows vista buisness, and I still have the issue that some of the power cards are messed up (see above link). However, now different cards are displayed with the really huge font.

Something seems to mess up the font size. I don't know if it has anything to do with my printer driver, since that's the only thing both computers have in common.

I installed the char builder on a third computer with totally different drivers, and it also renders the Lead the Attack power card with that huge font.

I really can't believe that I am the only one with that problem. However, if I pick "Hide Personalized Power Card Info" the cards are displayed correctly.

It just seems that the algorithm which tries to scale the text to the box in the power card text freaks out if the font size would be to small and then picks a very huge font size.

I have a similar issue printing to a duplex printer, so I don't think it's your drivers. When I print on 'duplex' each page still comes out on a separate sheet; not a major glitch, but annoying.
======= Balesir
I have a similar issue printing to a duplex printer, so I don't think it's your drivers. When I print on 'duplex' each page still comes out on a separate sheet; not a major glitch, but annoying.

It's been determined that the character sheet viewer sends each page as a separate print job.

This prevents Duplexing, makes PDF printing rough, and is annoying at my job where each print job gets its own cover sheet.

Well, I'm not having any of those problems. Mine won't print at all. In fact, when I try to print my character sheet, I get one of those "Send/Don't Send" error reports, and the Character Builder quits altogether.

Other than that, I've been quite happy with the Character Builder. I've created about 30 characters so far, with very few problems. I just hadn't tried printing any of them until now - I wanted to see how nice the power cards would be if I printed them on card stock and cut them out. Oh, well.

I'm running WinXP, SP3, printing to an old HP Deskjet 820Cse.
OS Vista Home Premium

When Viewing character sheet in either landscape or portrait mode the bottom lines of the sheet are cut off. viewing in XP seems to be okay.

Same issue. In default portrait it cuts off skills right below Religion. Omitting Stealth, Streetwise, and Theivery.

Also Vista Home Premium. The rest of the sheets seem fine.
Hi,

When printing to A4 the right hand side margin isnt large enough - it cuts off.
Having issues with the printint on multiple sheets I like duplexed sheets and with the multiple sheet printing it doesn't allow me to duplex.
On the power cards there isn't enough room in the Action box for the words "Move Action", at least not for the Fey Step power. I recommend changing it to "Move", since the word "Action" is right there under the box.
Hi,

When printing to A4 the right hand side margin isnt large enough - it cuts off.

I've got the exact same problem. Ive tried rearranging the sheets but it didn't help at all it still missed about 5mm of the right hand side off when printing.

For those of you with kids please check out the D&D Parents Group. http://community.wizards.com/dndparents

To DeadOrc, Dargurd,

When you select print click on the Preferences button to open the printing options and take note of the paper size of the document and the paper size that will be printed to.

If the document size is Letter and the paper size is A4 this will explain the 5mm cropping as Letter is about 5mm wider than A4.

You should be able to get around this by selecting an option to 'fit to page' or 'scaled printing'. The actual wording of the options will change from driver to driver but similar options should be available on all modern printers.

For me the document size shows as A4 and my paper size is set to A4 so I do not get any cropping on the right hand side of the page (XP and Vista). I do get cropping at the bottom of the page printing in Vista which is also visible in the CS Viewer. So I print from an PC with XP installed until this is resolved for Vista.
I too am having the issue with the printing cutting off through the middle of the word Religion. I am running on Vista

Also, the printout shifts one pixel through the center of the Max HP box and continues through the entire page.

This Pixel shifts back in line through the Resistances box. The effect looks like the section between the initial shift and the shift back is moved over one pixel.

Action and Range on the power cards is cut off, as mentioned above.

Also, the same thing appears to be happeneing on the power titles. so a letter 'g' for instance, would not have the lower part of the letter displaying.
Not sure if it is mentioned above, but I am experiencing printing issues where parts of my character sheet are being cut off on the edges.

I have modified my landscape orientation of the character sheet, and my skills list, placed on the left panel, cuts off almost half the skill number, making it difficult to read. I also placed the race/class features on the right side of the page, and they are having text cut off.

I noticed there is no "viewable printing" zone on the character sheet, and there are also no abilities to modify margins.

This is also in addition to issues I am having with power cards not displaying properly, as noted above.

Is anyone else having margin-related printing issues? I feel like this application is so very, very close to being awesome that these problems seem minor. But still, this is a beta, and so I think it's in everyone's best interest to try and bring up the issues I see.
Is anyone else having margin-related printing issues? I feel like this application is so very, very close to being awesome that these problems seem minor.

I am not having margin issues.

But, I certainly agree that this application great and is close to being a real gem.

I am still trying to feel out the character creation steps, but I have no suggestions yet. Well done thus far.
I am not having margin issues.

Gotta trip myself up on this one. I DO have margin issues when selecting the Print Power Cards in Landscape option. The left margin is cut-off a bit. My printer drivers are up to date.

Running Vista.
I set my printer to print on both sides but it only prints on the front on the paper. I imagine it's related to people's problems when printing to .pdf and getting 3 different documents.
When I print to A4 I get the following:

IMAGE(http://teknohippy.net/junk/a4shot.jpg)

Lots of spare space on the bottom. And very tight margins.

When I use A3 (Twice the AREA of a4, ie sides are 1.414 times as long) I get the following:

IMAGE(http://teknohippy.net/junk/a3shot.jpg)

Would be cool to have a page setup / paper size / margins dialog.

Note: Screengrabs not to scale

Devs: If you want to mess around with different paper sizes, printing tp PDFs is good for testing.
Would be cool to have a page setup / paper size / margins dialog.

This.
I just upgraded to build 190540 and I'm having the following problems:

I can't print the landscape version. Steps to reproduce the problem:
1) Layout->Default Landscape Layout
2) File->Print
3) Preferences (printer preferences)
4) Select Landscape Orientation
5) Print

Actual Result: It squeezes the landscape orientation page into a portrait orientation size. The long edge is compressed to fit along the short edge. E.g. The power cards are tall and skinny.

also

In portrait mode the power cards are printing slightly larger than in the prior beta (I think) and I can no longer fit the printed cards into card sleeves without cutting off some of the border on each side.

Thank you for the fine work on this product! You should make the code for this product open source with the class/race/skill/power database behind it closed. That way the larger community can contribute to bug fixes. Just make the licensing restrictive enough to protect your brand/trademarks/copyrights.

--
Robert Jenks
On my sheets, rituals appear to be cut off if I have more than the allotted space fits.
i can't print at all ç_ç

Anyone had problem of error during the print?
i can't print at all ç_ç

Mine says:

---------------------------
Print
Before you can print, you need to select a printer.
If you need to install a printer, either double-click the Add Printer icon or click the Find Printer... button located on the General tab of this dialog.
OK

Of course, I have a printer installed, and I can print test pages, pages from notepad, etc. The printer is fine. If I click OK, I can select my printer (it is shown on the list of printers), but all the options are grayed out, an it won't let me print. If I right click on the printer and hit Print, it brings up that dialog box as above.

My printer is a HP Officejet J5780 All-in-One.
I'm running Vista 64-bit Ultimate SP1, with the latest HP Officejet J5700 Series drivers installed. It is connected through USB.
This is such a minor issue compared to problems others are having I'm almost embarrassed to post it, but I will just in case anyone else has the same problem so they know they're not alone.

I have a custom layout on my sheet where I have the character portrait on both pages. Cause you know, the portrait is the most important part of the sheet. :D It's a custom portrait from a .bmp of a screenshot of my character from Neverwinter Nights.

On pages where the portrait appears the lines are not sharp and all the of the text is blurry, the the point where you can see the jagged edges of curves on the letters. But it only happens on pages where the portrait appears and only happens with my custom portrait. It doesn't happen if I select one of the stock portraits from the builder.

A very minor issue and probably doesn't deserve a lot of attention, but it DOES make a difference - I noticed I was squinting reading the sheet until I realized it was because the text and lines really WERE blurrier, it wasn't just fatigue or bad lighting or glare. I thought at first I needed to calibrate my printer (HP Color LaserJet 2600n) but it made no difference. I get enough of a headache after six hours of playing into the wee hours, no need to make it worse with a blurry character sheet!

Anyway, it's a MINOR issue, but there it is. No other problems with formatting for me, even with custom layouts like I use.

By the way, just wanted to give a helpful household hint: Did you know if you own Neverwinter Nights you already have a pretty cool character visualizer? Just fire up the DM client, create your toon, load up a module with a cool background, and outfit yourself with whatever equipment you like, then take a screenie! (You have to covert the file to .bmp or .jpg because I don't think CB will load .tga files)

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Okay, what I found is that if I changed the image size to 305x278 png format like the sample portraits, then there's no blurriness on the character sheet at all. Not sure if it was the png format change or the resolution that made the difference though (I was using a 1280x1024 res .bmp); I suspect the resolution because I know changing the file format without changing the resolution still led to blurriness. Unfortunately, putting it at 305x278 changed the aspect just slightly. Not a huge deal but good to know.

So if I want to be a perfectionist I'd have to either scale the portrait down until it's at 305x278 or lower while preserving the aspect, and hope it doesn't have to be EXACTLY that resolution, or if it does need to be that resolution exactly, scale it down first until I get it close, then crop the image. Funny, it didn't do any of this stuff in the beta, and I was using the same huge .bmp image before.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Seems to dislike printing anything except the default Portrait layout. Anything else gets stretched out and looks lousy.