Cartoon?

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
I read at biteycastle.com that the cartoonist that did the first two dragon cartoons is now working on his fourth. Shouldn't that mean that the third on is ready? Will we be getting a cartoon this month?

Personally, I love the cartoons. I can't wait to see more.
Glad you like them!! I'm writing the third one now, so it might be a little while. Should be a fun one though!
Ryan Miller Game Designer Wizards of the Coast
Glad you like them!! I'm writing the third one now, so it might be a little while. Should be a fun one though!

*Blink*

"biteycastle.com that the cartoonist that did the first two dragon cartoons is now working on his fourth" and you are saying you are working still on the thrid.

Clearly there is a disconnect someplace. There again perhaps biteycastle considers something they did for GenCon a first one and you are counting from the first one released for the ezine (Beholder) as the first one.

Indeed many appear to like them, you have your fans.

Alas I am not one of them.
Plans are always subject to change.
Those toons made me laugh 'till i couldn't breathe. Very funny stuff. Almost had to make a trip to the little wizards room. The Gnome....."Whose my little minion?"
Current work - I'm about to start on the third D&D 4th Edition promo short. It's another 2 minute animated interview. The movies are initially for members only, but they're eventually posted on YouTube. The second, "Gnome and Tiefling " is below.

That must have been a quick change.
puplavius would like the little minion. lol. so do I. Roxanne is not your minion she is OUR minion of chewing doominess!
Yes, I really do enjoy the cartoons. Informative and funny. My girlfriend's daughter (5 years old) loved the beholder one. She watched it about 15 times in a row.
I think I sense a new gamer in the works...:D

Very nice! I have enjoyed everything about the two that have been put out so far....except how long it takes to get the next one ;) Just let me say RyanM... Please. Please. Please. Please do not let some peoples over reactions affect, sway, or in anyway contribute to a "watering down" of what has so far been very fun stuff. My kid also enjoyed the previous ones. Good times!
Very nice! I have enjoyed everything about the two that have been put out so far....except how long it takes to get the next one ;) Just let me say RyanM... Please. Please. Please. Please do not let some peoples over actions affect, sway, or in anyway contribute to a "watering down" of what has so far been very fun stuff. My kid also enjoyed the previous ones. Good times!

Likewise. Keep up the good work and the humor, and don't let overly-PC folks discourage you.
Many people have posted in other threads how much they miss Order of the Stick and other comics from Dragon magazine. Am I the only one who sees the cartoons as the "online equivalent" of said comics? Sure, some classic still frame comics would be great. But the animated cartoons are the perfect example of what you can do with an online format - and something you couldn't do with a print format. I for one would love for the animations to continue! I love them!

If at all possible, I would like to see them on a monthly basis. Of course, this probably isn't possible, given how much time they take to create. But mabye if WotC offered to pay for them... hmm...

P.S. I would like to see Order of the Stick again myself.
Hey !! Thanks !!!!:D :heehee
I miss my Dragonmirth.

I'd like to see more comic content than just the biteycastle flash videos - a few "old school" static comics (ala Order of the Stick, Nodwick, Downer, Wormy, Floyd and the like) would be appreciated as well.
I'm not sure where the derision towards the cartoons comes from, they're incredibly funny. I hope to see more in the vein of the Gnome and Tiefling one.
I'm not sure where the derision towards the cartoons comes from, they're incredibly funny. I hope to see more in the vein of the Gnome and Tiefling one.

Well let me see.

Sound quality displayed poorly.
Video Quality displayed poorly.

These two of course can be blamed on my box and other viewers might have different opinions on these two topics.

As for the content, clearly others all ready indicated different opinions, I found nothing at all of humor. The first beholder complaining something about not being loved (I think) the second talk about transfer from MM to PHB and the reverse. Some clearly liked the Badger kicked and the interviewer being turned into stone. These things did not reach my humor meter.

Like quality of display other opinions clearly will vary, however display could be a factor of my system. The story is clearly a matter of what I found humor in.

Other points raised about this estimated 8 to 20 hour per video might have been better spent on completing PFDs or working on completion of 4th also has been raised. As far as I am concerned the Videos were a waste of my time and the waste of WotC design team's time. Clearly WotC and fans of the Videos do not share this opinion.
Other points raised about this estimated 8 to 20 hour per video might have been better spent on completing PFDs or working on completion of 4th also has been raised. As far as I am concerned the Videos were a waste of my time and the waste of WotC design team's time. Clearly WotC and fans of the Videos do not share this opinion.

I guess it's fair to say humour is highly subjective. I suspect that their workload is decreasing by the day as launch-day approaches, and they were able to muster some manpower for this. Also, I believe this is an attempt to showcase another aspect of the DI.

Much like the podcasts I find they're very welcome features while I twiddle my thumbs in anticipation for 4E.
This in not a thread discussing opinions on the relative humor or quality of the cartoons. There are enough nay sayer threads on these boards for you to post your opinions. Please keep comments in this thread more along the lines of it's original intent. Thank you.
This in not a thread discussing opinions on the relative humor or quality of the cartoons. There are enough nay sayer threads on these boards for you to post your opinions. Please keep comments in this thread more along the lines of it's original intent. Thank you.

Not to be rude, but you already got your answer from a staffer. The purpose of your thread has already been fulfilled, so what harm is there in discussion on the subject matter of the topic? Do note that you yourself commented on the quality of the cartoons.
The purpose of your thread has already been fulfilled, so what harm is there in discussion on the subject matter of the topic?

Because humor is subjective, like you said. I'm tired of the nay sayers and the constant complaining that infects many threads. I start a thread about how I am wondering when the next cartoon is, and voice my support for it, and posters like Kentinal come in with... gloom and doom.

I'm tired of it. If all he can do is come in and try and rehash old arguments in a new thread, why bother? Just to prove... I'm not even sure what he was trying to prove. So maybe Kentinal can answer me this: Why?
Because humor is subjective, like you said. I'm tired of the nay sayers and the constant complaining that infects many threads. I start a thread about how I am wondering when the next cartoon is, and voice my support for it, and posters like Kentinal come in with... gloom and doom.

I'm tired of it. If all he can do is come in and try and rehash old arguments in a new thread, why bother? Just to prove... I'm not even sure what he was trying to prove. So maybe Kentinal can answer me this: Why?

It started as a reply to Goreg Skullcrusher that clearly found the things "incredibly funny" In my last post I indicated I was not impressed with the first two as a reply to someone that enjoyed them very much. I have not expressed any doom or gloom about the third one and I clearly accept that there are many fans of the first two.

IOW I replied to an opinion with an opinion, clearly knowing not all share my opinion.

Do you only want users to post to this thread that shares your opinion?
I just recorded the voices for cartoon #3! I'm not sure how long the animation process will take, but hopefully it will be up in a few weeks. I've had a blast working on these!
I for one love these cartoons. They are funny and even after seeing them over and over, they still make me smile. RyanM awesome work keep it up.
I just recorded the voices for cartoon #3! I'm not sure how long the animation process will take, but hopefully it will be up in a few weeks. I've had a blast working on these!

So... what's this one about? ;)
So... what's this one about? ;)

Probably something that will result in the poor interviewer's demise. :P

I find it hard to believe there is anyone who didn't like the cartoons!

I just love the Gnome. You gotta bring him back. The voice was just hilarious!

morval
From one of the articals it gave the impresion that the gnome will be back to talk about finding a new job (monster role)
Very funny. I was a bit skeptical at first but the gnome won me over; I couldn't help but laugh . Thank you, RyanM. Can't wait for what's next.

I have a question while I'm here: Any way to save these cartoons? I've no idea how "Flash" works but I'd like a personal copy. Can they only be viewed on-site?
/\ Art
Probably something that will result in the poor interviewer's demise. :P

You must have an Int score in the 30's to figure that one out. ;) "Last time, on On the Set of 4th Edition: The interviewer died! This week: Again!"

I wonder who pays for his true resurrections?
he's union, its in the contract.

though i'd like the interviewer to make it through one of those intervews.

I have a question while I'm here: Any way to save these cartoons? I've no idea how "Flash" works but I'd like a personal copy. Can they only be viewed on-site?

Realplayer 11 (beta out now) can download Flash movies that are embedded in a web page. There might be another program, too. There are freeware programs that can convert file types to something that, say, plays on your ipod. If you have a Mac, I recommend iSquint.

Alternatively, you may be able to Cut and Paste the movie file from your Temporary Internet Files folder, depending on what browser you use (you can find Internet Explorer's folder thru Preferences, I believe).

It might be amusing if full-screen versions of these cartoons made it in the extras of some D&D movie...

Better yet, why don't they animate a series of D&D shorts? They could air it as a TV series (each week or 2 a few shorts as one episode), and then release the completed series (26 or 13 episodes on DVD). The most distinctive part could be minimal dialogue, like the animator's Bitey stuff; characters communicate mainly in actions and body language. Beats the pants off any trailer I've seen for that Dragonlance movie.
he's union, its in the contract.

That would do it.

though i'd like the interviewer to make it through one of those intervews.

I'm sure he'll survive the last one, at least.
Very funny. I was a bit skeptical at first but the gnome won me over; I couldn't help but laugh . Thank you, RyanM. Can't wait for what's next.

We put them up on youtube a few weeks after they came out, so feel free to embed them wherever you want! :P

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=72LQ6W2W_TU
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4UqFPujRZWo

Thanks for your kind words!
We put them up on youtube a few weeks after they came out, so feel free to embed them wherever you want! :P

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=72LQ6W2W_TU
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4UqFPujRZWo

Thanks for your kind words!

Thanks! I hadn't considered youtube. That's just what I was looking for. I'm on my way over now .
/\ Art
The running gag of the interviewer will get old eventually, but for the time being they should keep doing it. It's still funny and it emphasizes that the D&D world is dangerous.

As for the subject matter of the next animation, here's hoping for an interview with the Dragonborn! Who's with me?!

Come on, RyanM, just a hint!

P.S. Something involving an undead would be great!
Those cartoons are so funny . I really enjoy them. Its creative and funny, and gets the point across. I personally think its a great tool for bringing on a new crowd ( not to mention FREE advertising via youtube and embedding. ) I would love to see them continue. As far as the "time wasted", obviously WotC has a spot and purpose for them, and therefore is not a waste of time. Besides anything that threatens to rupture an organ due to laughing is worth the time.
Hopefully I can make this post without being called a spammer...

I'm also am a fan of Ryan's cartoons. The 2nd one certainly created some good conflict within me. One part of me was very sad and a bit angry to learn that gnomes wouldn't be a playable race. It's always been nice to have a race that offers in game comic relief. The other part of me was laughing at the hilarity with which I was being informed. Good job!

For those few people who were lamenting there weren't a lot of funny sword and sorcery comics, may I humbly suggest visiting my webcomicThe Princess Planet. In the past, I've done some one panel gags that ran as Dragon Mirth but these comics are not D&D specific. There are dragons and adventurers but not "+1 swords" and "magic missiles". If it sounds up your alley, please give it a look.

Back to lurking and reading more about 4e...
Well I have good news for you, you WILL be able to play a Gnome out of the Monster Manual when it comes out. They're still playable, just no longer a core race. At least, that's my understanding based on the spoilersplosion that happened this weekend.

Now lets all pretend that spoilersplosion is a real word, and not something I just made up.
Maybe I missed something somewhere, but where in the heck is the next cartoon?

Now that 4E is to the printers, shouldn't we be seeing the third one?

First one came out on October 31.
Second came out on December 19, 1 month and 19 days later.
Third one has been a WIP for over 3 months. (or rather, over 3 months has passed WIP or not)

Please....Please forgive my major lack of patience. It is all your fault RyanM. :D
I really enjoy the cartoons, they're so funny:D
Unfortunately I have had to listen them more times, because the actors speaks too fast for me
Nevertheless, ad the end of the movies I was rolling on the floor laughing:P
I am waiting for the next cartoon XD
Keep up the good work...I love them.

I would like to see a cartoon with the Farmer (and his pig). I can envision a couple skits with them, similar to the Gnome and his pet.