An adventure for whom?

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
It would be helpful if the adventure summary page with the links to download an adventure included for what level(s) the adventure was recommended. Mentioning the setting would also be helpful and any additional books the adventure refers to would be an added bonus.

There is a paragraph of this nature in the adventures themselves, but it would be very nice if one did not have to download the adventure before getting such basic information.
You know I said exactly the same thing on 1st of November in my comments on issue #151 (even put it in bold), and I'm sure it's been mentioned before then as well.

Nice to know they are listening.
It would be helpful if the adventure summary page with the links to download an adventure included for what level(s) the adventure was recommended. Mentioning the setting would also be helpful and any additional books the adventure refers to would be an added bonus.

There is a paragraph of this nature in the adventures themselves, but it would be very nice if one did not have to download the adventure before getting such basic information.

A very good point, and as DMaple mentions, its been brought up before.

I would have brought it up myself (before now) except I find myself becoming more and more apathetic when it comes to the online magazines. I can't honestly say I have anything emotionally invested in their success (or failure) at this point (like I did with the print mags). If they succeed, I'll be happy; on the other hand, if they fail, I won't be sad.

This upsets me because normally I'm the kind of guy that likes to get excited about things, to stand in line at midnight waiting for the new Harry Potter hardcover, for instance. It should be easy for me to be excited about this new format, but at most I'm "meh". I've honestly tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, but its just not for me.

The fact that I can go from hardcore supporter of the print mags to a casual reader of the online mags is disturbing. From excitement to apathy, that's the best I can describe my feelings. As a longtime reader, WotC should have been able to grab my attention (and keep it) from day one. This didn't happen, and has yet to. I'm a bit too apathetic at this point to really dig deep enough to find out why. Is it my stubborness or is it WotC's carelessness? Both are likely, but which is more so? Who cares at this point?
/\ Art
I was disappointed at the loss of the print magazines, but tempered by the fact I had some hope and expectation for the new digital format. After all I would at last get it the same time as the USA not a month later, so the threads about the content wouldn't have disappeared off the front page by the time I was reading the articles, I've used PDF's and other computer support in my games before now as well, so I could see there would be some advantages for me. Now they have just continually failed to deliver and after seeming to be responsive in the early weeks now they don't even appear to be viewing the forums. You can't even write a letter to the editor because it's not even clear who it is.

I am starting to get past the point of caring. If WotC doesn't seem to care why should we?
I would really like to see this put into the download page too. I know that I will be subscribing to the mags as a DM and so will the 2 other people that might DM. It would be nice for us to know before we download them which one of us should download which adventures and run them.
I just came to start this thread again.

Because apparently putting the level information remains to difficult to do.
I just came to start this thread again.

Because apparently putting the level information remains to difficult to do.

Yup... This time with The Plague Tree... that does however make a good number of adventures in one issue.
Yup... This time with The Plague Tree... that does however make a good number of adventures in one issue.

For WOTC maybe..

How many adventures were in a single issue of Dungeon each month in print form.(I do believe 3. 1 Low Level 1 Mid level 1 High Level)

And look at the levels of the adventures.
A 6th, 14th, 15th and a 20th

Without having to restructure the moduals they are worthless to me and I am quessing many other dms too.

Without Levels listed I waste time and harddrive space downloading stuff.

LEVELS HAVE TO BE LISTED
Can it be stated anymore clearly
Same goes for the side treks please!
Bump. Still the same issue, I thought it was supposed to be fixed? (I think I saw a post somewhere saying this ...)
(snip) I do hope the adventure itself satisfies the fix that a lot of you have been sorely in need of. (snip)

Steve Greer
The Author of Prisoner of the Castle Perilous

Sure you didn't miss read this line I know I did. I thought it implied they had fixed all the problems we've complained about in the past. Instead they have just created new ones like dead links.

Just to be clear this isn't Steve's fault, it's whoever is responsible for the website, and the editors. Pretty sure this is at least the second time they have provided links but no content. In the past they have also provided content but then forgot to link it, which is equally impressive.
Nope, it was (unless I got it wrong again) Chris Thomasson who said something along the lines of 'I feel stupid for not putting the level in the blurp.' somewhat implying that they'd do so now.
Nope, it was (unless I got it wrong again) Chris Thomasson who said something along the lines of 'I feel stupid for not putting the level in the blurp.' somewhat implying that they'd do so now.

Maybe I'm being cynical today, but implication hasn't meant anything these last few months. Actually, even explicit confirmations don't mean much until you see it happen. And I know the response from the "defenders" will be that they're still busy...
Posting the levels in the blurbs is a good idea. I feel silly for not doing that before now. Thanks for the suggestion!Chris

You are welcome, Chris.
And I know the response from the "defenders" will be that they're still busy...

Except in this case really how much extra work is it to add, "for 18th level adventurers", they are already typing the blurb after all.

Still busy folks often forget to dot all the i's and cross all the t's.
Consider this another signature on the petition, because, if I'm not mistaken, the errors have not been fixed.

I call them errors because they are wrong.

Bring the levels the adventure if meant for, dang it.
You know its quite funny.

I came onto the board to complain about this very issue. It seems like a very obvious thing to do.

Please, can we get this taken care of? It should take all of 10 seconds to add the adventure level. Should take all of 10 minutes to add them too all the adventures so far but I'd settle for just doing it for the ones presented from here on out.

Mistakes happen, I can understand that, its when no one seems to notice for months that poeple start to get antsy. I do plan on paying for the subscription when it comes out, the least that could be done would be listing adventure levels.

Oh and, yah. It would really be nice if, when 4th edition starts up, the set up was the 3 tier a month idea that the old magazines did. From what I understand the game is being divided up into such already (1-10, 11-20,21-30?) even that would be nice :P

As it is right now I am thinking wizards is supporting the idea of poeple winding up their 3rd edition games, which means higher level games so I can forgive it but lets get it back on track by the time I start paying for it.

Yup.
and yet again....
You know
It very important to know that 1d4 Cabbages were harmed during the making of the lastest adventure.

I know that most of us use the number of cabbages harmed over the adventure level, since that truely indictates the hardyness of the adventure.

I perfer 1d8 Adventures, I can't wait for our first 1d10 adventure or the all inclusive 1d12 Adventures
You know
It very important to know that 1d4 Cabbages were harmed during the making of the lastest adventure.

I know that most of us use the number of cabbages harmed over the adventure level, since that truely indictates the hardyness of the adventure.

I perfer 1d8 Adventures, I can't wait for our first 1d10 adventure or the all inclusive 1d12 Adventures

1d12? That would be an awful lot of the patch. The previous record set for cabbages harmed in a single adventure was six in the Paizo-era Dungeon Adventure Dread Pagoda of the Inscrutable Ones part 3 of the Seeds of Sehan Adventure Arc (Dungeon 145-147).

-GGG

PS The Witching Season is set to be a relatively tough adventure for a group of 6th level characters. It contains equal portions of research, role-play, and travel punctuated with foreshadowing, horror, and some potentially "sudden death" encounters and a mini-dungeon at the end. The adventure doesn't skimp on interesting combat either.
*bumpity bump* Still the same problem ... *yawn*
Add another vote for the first poster's request
And yet another ...

/raised hand
Another here.

*raises hand*
And one more in honor of April 1st!
I am told,for a nominal fee you can get a list of the adventures suggested level...
So when you download the adventure and look at it, there's absolutely no way to rename the file to show the levels?

Next thing you know you'll all want WotC to supply the battle mats and figs and have standins ready to play if you're shorthanded.

Oh, I was told, for a small pittance of time an actual DM could make his own adventure and not rely upon someone else to do the work.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

If you really want to be that sarcastic about this thread, you should take the time to research the past comments on these issues. I couldn't give a rat's whatever about whether or not they include the adventure levels in their "blurbs". What I do care about is that Wizards has not followed through on many commitments to these trial magazines, even ones, like this, that they themselves have indicated are good ideas. Chris T. thanked the community for the idea of indicating the levels for adventures and then promptly did nothing about it, after indicating they'd be included in the future.

Many of us share the concern on the magazine forums that past performance will be an indicator of future efforts. If Wizards couldn't find the time/staff/whatever to do these right during the preview, bearing in mind that this is an ideal place to trumpet the virtues of the new version soon to release, what makes us think they'll do much better following the release. Many have said they were extremely busy getting to print (including Chris T. directly), but won't they be similarly busy immediately before and after launch in June??

The point to my response is that it's not idle whining, at least not in my case. I'm just expressing concern for the magazines I've come to adore over the past 20+ years. Whether or not Wizards chooses to listen is obviously up to them, but ignoring your base is rarely a good strategy.
So when you download the adventure and look at it, there's absolutely no way to rename the file to show the levels?

Next thing you know you'll all want WotC to supply the battle mats and figs and have standins ready to play if you're shorthanded.

Oh, I was told, for a small pittance of time an actual DM could make his own adventure and not rely upon someone else to do the work.

hrm maybe you missed the part about wanting to know if the adventure would be suitable for my group's level BEFORE downloading the thing. it doesn't seem like it should be that hard to mention the level range that the adventure you're writing a description of is intended for.

you sure are lucky to have all the free time you need to write the adventures for your group. and how fortunate they must be that you can spend that kind of time for them. some of us have jobs that require we invest a great deal of time away from hobbies, some might have other hobbies that compete for what free time we have. seems you don't live in a world like that, and that's fine. for those of us that do live in a world where our free time is limited, what do you suggest? i only ask because you apparently have all the answers.
hrm maybe you missed the part about wanting to know if the adventure would be suitable for my group's level BEFORE downloading the thing. it doesn't seem like it should be that hard to mention the level range that the adventure you're writing a description of is intended for.

you sure are lucky to have all the free time you need to write the adventures for your group. and how fortunate they must be that you can spend that kind of time for them. some of us have jobs that require we invest a great deal of time away from hobbies, some might have other hobbies that compete for what free time we have. seems you don't live in a world like that, and that's fine. for those of us that do live in a world where our free time is limited, what do you suggest? i only ask because you apparently have all the answers.

If you meant working 60 hours a week, going to school, raising a family and still finding time to write up campaigns for my group. Sure I must be lucky. Or I know how to manage my free time and have a small notebook with me to jot down ideas to flesh out later.

How long does it take you to read through these premades to fully understand and feel comfortable to run your group through it?

How long does it take you to read through these premades to fully understand and feel comfortable to run your group through it?

Just a bit longer than it needs to before I determine the adventure is not suitable to my group because of the levels it's intended for.

If only there were some way to solve that problem and save me some time.

I guess the point is that it's not really that big a thing to be done. Is it REALLY that inconvenient to us? No. Would it be nice? Yes. (And as we get more and more adventures, being able to search them easily by level would also be nice, and increasingly important).

The bigger point is that it would cost them nothing, they've stated they would do it, it would make some people happy, and they still haven't done it.

By itself, this is a minor thing. However, there are a number of minor things that add up to a major dissapointment. Are the collected pdf's necessary? Are the levels in blurbs necessary? Are dm maps AND pc maps necessary? What about meeting deadlines? What about delivering the content that the website stated was going to arrive? What about releasing formats that are easily readable on the screen (with hyperlinks and bookmarks) as well as easily printable?

So isn't it more constructive to point out the minor things and ask for the very easy fix? How many people come here and get angry at people complaining just for the sake of complaining? Or they get angry because people complain about problems too big to be fixed (fourth edition should be cancelled, or they need to not redo the realms). Well, here is someone who has posted a very direct criticism, one that is easily solved, and what does he get? People getting angry because he has brought up something too trivial to them.

One final point. If a change matters to someone (or multiple people), the change requires virtually no effort, and it wouldn't decrease others' enjoyment, why not make it? To take that argument one step further, why argue against it if it is trivial to you-that is, feel free to argue that levels in blurbs would be a bad thing for whatever reason, but if your sole argument is "it doesn't bother me", really why argue against it?
Just a bit longer than it needs to before I determine the adventure is not suitable to my group because of the levels it's intended for.

But it says what level it is intended for in the second paragraph. You're confident in running something by reading the preface?
One final point. If a change matters to someone (or multiple people), the change requires virtually no effort, and it wouldn't decrease others' enjoyment, why not make it? To take that argument one step further, why argue against it if it is trivial to you-that is, feel free to argue that levels in blurbs would be a bad thing for whatever reason, but if your sole argument is "it doesn't bother me", really why argue against it?

Perhaps they are changing it, but it is going to be in the actual DDI not the free beta?

Yes it would be nice if they changed it immediately, not saying it wouldn't be.

Perhaps they are changing it, but it is going to be in the actual DDI not the free beta?

Again, I don't like this because it sends a message that they do fix the problems. Only after five to six months after they have been brought up. And that you get nearly no response from them over those months on the subject.

And that is only for problems they can fix in a very short time. If we come to problems that need to be addressed when the articles are ordered then there would be another few months attached until the changes are seen.
Again, I don't like this because it sends a message that they do fix the problems. Only after five to six months after they have been brought up. And that you get nearly no response from them over those months on the subject.

Or that they don't want to waste the time to fix something multiple times?

Or that they don't want to waste the time to fix something multiple times?

What? Why can't they fix something promptly without trying to fix it multiple times.

Either way it doesn't really answer the problem of them not having anywhere near prompt response to problems people bring up.
But it says what level it is intended for in the second paragraph. You're confident in running something by reading the preface?

would that be the second paragraph on the downloaded file? or the second paragraph of the little blurb that gives you a rough description of the adventure?

i think the consensus is that people would like to know if the adventure that they are about to download is for level 5 or 15. it saves people the time and hassle of downloading the thing and then turning right around and deleting it.

And how do we know that Did someone from WOTC post that somewhere on the website on the Forums

We all know that WOTC has never promised us anything in the past and failed to deliver.

Feel free to hold your breath on that.
Sign In to post comments