Dragon/Dungeon Print and pdf

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Reading these lengthy articles on the computer is so tedious. Articles the length of those in Dungeon and Dragon magazines are much better read on paper than at a desk on a computer. This is the reason books are still sold in hard copy and the eBook idea failed.

What the D&D player really wants is both a physical copy of the magazine and an electronic copy. Will Wizards at least include a full front/back cover page with their electronic only publications so that we can print and bind these materials by hand?
Reading these lengthy articles on the computer is so tedious.

I disagree. I find reading articles online interesting.
Articles the length of those in Dungeon and Dragon magazines are much better read on paper than at a desk on a computer.

I disagree. I find that being able to scroll through or search an article online makes the article easier to read.
This is the reason books are still sold in hard copy and the eBook idea failed.

While I cannot completely disagree with your point about eBooks, the recent proliferation of Blogs and Wikis suggests that online publishing is not as much of a failure as you might think.
What the D&D player really wants

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Stop right there.

Are you really prepared to speak on behalf of all D&D players everywhere? Have you done exhaustive interviews and polling and scientifically proven that all D&D players everywhere want the same thing?

I find that idea laughable, mostly because I know I disagree with you so you obviously don't speak for all D&D players everywhere.

I'm willing to let that statement slide under the heading of "unintentional hyperbole", but you should be careful of making such statements in the future.
Will Wizards at least include a full front/back cover page with their electronic only publications so that we can print and bind these materials by hand?

I doubt it.

I'm pretty sure Wizard's business plan doesn't include a "let them print their own" philosophy.

If they see a market for it, however, there may be printed collections of the online articles available for sale. Maybe.

Also, as just about anyone who has tried to print out a PDF of the PHB or other book will tell you, you end up spending more on ink than a published book would have cost you.

Fairbanks
Fairbanks, level 5 Human, Slayer (Multiclass: Cavalier) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Background: Blademaster (Acrobatics class skill) Theme: Neverwinter Noble FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 18, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 13 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12 AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 14 HP: 49/49 Surges: 6/9 Surge Value: 10 [X] Action Point [] Second Wind TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +8 UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Card Link Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Card Link [] Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort Card Link [X] [X] Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike Card Link [X] Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault Card Link [] Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade Card Link [] Level 2 Utility: Honorable Challenge Card Link [] Neverwinter Noble Utility: Take Heart, Friend! Card Link Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura Card Link [] Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance Card Link FEATS Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise Level 1: Armor Finesse Level 2:Heavy Armor Agility Level 4: Squire of Righteousness ITEMS Dagger x3 Adventurer's Kit Aecris Black Iron Scale Mail +1 Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) Holy Symbol of Bahamut 1 Opal 73g 145s 50c
I would prefer printed copies, but that's just me. My reading life doesn't consist of me staring at a screen all the time, and that's where the magazine comes in handy. But I wish Wizards luck with this. They could ay least do a print on demand deal if they wanted to, but it makes too much sense I suppose.
I must say, I love collecting the books. Over the years I HAD a nice collection going. I won't get into my ex-wife going nuts. Anyway, I like the idea of buy the books to have. But...I do see how all the vast material available on the web would be nice to have. I mean, they give you print options on all of it. So why not have frnt/back covers available for the different sections. It would be nice to download a bunch of stuff from various catagories and have front/back to go with it for personal binding.
I intend to see what they deliver at the end of October before I tell them what I would prefer they do instead.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
I intend to see what they deliver at the end of October before I tell them what I would prefer they do instead.

I don't have to wait until October ;). I'll tell 'em right now. I prefer print; I may very well read the online articles and collected "magazines" but I will always miss Dragon and Dungeon Magazines.

I'll miss collecting them, because now all I'm "collecting" are a bunch of computer files. That's one reason I'm anxious for October, so I can see what kind of file format Dragon/Dungeon will take. As I write this, I can only guess that they will be presented as a PDF file that I can *download* (don't tell Mike I used that word, 'kay :P) to my computer. Oooh, I can't wait . . . heh, yeah, I can ;).
/\ Art
At the moment, I personally prefer print copies. It's incumbent upon WotC to change my mind come October.

John Ling

Lead Pathfinder Developer for Frog God Games

Online/Downloadable is a nice option...but that is all it should be, an option. I do understand from a business standpoint that goind all online will save the company a ton of money! Now we mustn't forget WotC IS a company that will always have a certain bottom line. Lets just hope that by saving that money, they will pump it in to the new 4th Edition and blow us away with it.

I still hope/wish they would do something to give the option of front/back printables for those that wish to download the various things they have available.
I like the new articles online. I would like them more if they were more usable to me but, as far as I am concerned, obie-kabie.
Here we are in March and I have to say that my earlier feelings are still here. Now I don't even bother looking at the Dragon or Dungeon pages because I just don't read any of the on the computer. Printing them seems like an ok idea but just doesn't happen in practice. Now I read Kobold Quarterly - a print magazine with the same type of articles that were in Dragon.

Ah well...
And, interestingly enough, I write for KQ now.

of course, I'd still write for Dragon and/or Dungeon too

John Ling

Lead Pathfinder Developer for Frog God Games

Are you really prepared to speak on behalf of all D&D players everywhere? Have you done exhaustive interviews and polling and scientifically proven that all D&D players everywhere want the same thing?

Are you seriously calling some one on semantics? I'm going to have to respond with an equal amount of smartassery and say yes, he does speak for every player ever, as he is from a future where every hobby is governed by a single collective concious :D.
Personally I like having physical copies of things.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
Reading these lengthy articles on the computer is so tedious. Articles the length of those in Dungeon and Dragon magazines are much better read on paper than at a desk on a computer.

Agreed. I bought the Dungeon PDFs fo Age of Worms, but I print out the adventures as I need.

The electronic copies are good for putting artwork on the website. I take care to include the artist's name in the image.
Personally I like having physical copies of things.

Yeah, I have to agree. I liked opening the mailbox and getting seeing a shiny new copy of D&D material waiting to be perused.

Especially when I was deployed, I loved getting print copies of Dungeon and Dragon in the mailbag.
Personally I like a hard copy that I can carry around with me, so that I can read it ANYWHERE . But seriously I don’t mind and even like a PDF version of the magazine. Being able to print multiple copies of an article (so that everyone in my group will be on the same page, :whatsthis ) is a great plus.

BUT the original idea that was proposed was a magazine in pdf put out every month (or it may have been every two months.) I (and everyone else) am still waiting for the next magazine (both Dragon #361 and Dungeon #151) to come out in a compiled pdf.

I just don’t have the time to sift through every article this web site to find the ones that interest or help me with my game.

If you folks at WOTC need help compiling said magazines I’m sure I or some other fan would be willing to help do so.:invasion:
Sign In to post comments