D&D Insider

77 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here’s the thread to talk about the “MyCharacter” and “MyCampaign” areas of D&D Insider.
...?

What are these?
How much will D&D Insider be? do we know? Will it be a monthly fee?

-G
You know I've gleemed a few bits of information from various sources, but this one....not a clue....how about someone release a Alpha-tech demo or something so we can at least put concepts to names for this stuff....

Character Vault? that could be anything. that could be your personal inter-campaign bank...or a place where you save all the character's you've created online, or a pool of pre-fab characters for anyone to use....
I happen to know this one, because I was on a consumer panel on the subject once. Think MySpace for D&D. You put stuff online, and other people can look at your characters, campaign setting/story arc, house rules, whatever. In combination with the D&D Game Table, it would be useful in finding a game to join (find a campaign that interests you, or find a player to fill a niche). And of course the optimizers will be able to share their builds this way.

..of course, I don't know why you'd pay for this as opposed to using MySpace for the same thing (it's be easy enough), unless you were already paying for Insider for other reasons.

"Edison didn't succeed the first time he invented Benjamin Franklin, either." Albert the Alligator, Walt Kelly's Pogo Sunday Book  
The Core Coliseum: test out your 4e builds and fight to the death.

Many of the things that MWB discreibed are traditionally the role of forums, how will this change the forums/DDI/Gleemax roles?
I happen to know this one, because I was on a consumer panel on the subject once. Think MySpace for D&D. You put stuff online, and other people can look at your characters, campaign setting/story arc, house rules, whatever. In combination with the D&D Game Table, it would be useful in finding a game to join (find a campaign that interests you, or find a player to fill a niche). And of course the optimizers will be able to share their builds this way.

..of course, I don't know why you'd pay for this as opposed to using MySpace for the same thing (it's be easy enough), unless you were already paying for Insider for other reasons.

I'm feeling inside Battle.net :D
How much will D&D Insider be? do we know? Will it be a monthly fee?

-G

The handout said free until Jan 2008. Then it's $9.95/month.

Eugh.

Just initial reaction, mind you. Could be good, and I'll be trying it out for that trial period. But...eugh.
Yours, Dave the Brave
That cost is not that bad if we get both Dungeon and Dragon magazine quality articles monthly. Also in the same amount. And the gaming area is a definitive plus.

Handout? did I miss something?
Currently rewriting everything. If anyone knows of a Dragonmech campaign writeup or session recording, PM me. Words to Live By
With the my campaign functionality will I be able to pick pieces from books I own and make then avaliable for my campaign and my players?
For example, I added the archivist as a core class and spellscales and kobolds as races and I just tell my players about their abilities.
Handout? did I miss something?

Yes, GenCon. :P

S'ok, I missed it too.
I hope the MyCharector pages will be searchable and publicly viewable; if so, an instant source of thousands of NPCs.
Yeah, I also saw the handout that said free trial period and then $9.95 per month.

That's not really bad, especially considering Dragon and Dungeon might be included (hard to tell).

Anyway, I've learned that each physical source book will have a code that will unlock that content online (like data for the character generator).

That's all worth $9.95 to me.
If the codes also unlock info for a campaign vault where I can mix-and-match stuff (races/classes/maps/npcs/monsters/feats/systems) from supplements I own to set up a campaign for my players, them I'm sold. A main problem with having 100+ books is taking all the cool stuff out (which can even be just 1 race from a book) and mixing it together, so I usually can only use ~12 books for a world.

Unfortunately, any functionally like this I suspect will be tied to 4E, but I'd switch to it once there's enough out there for the switch.
Character Sheets(2 pages) that look like the new stat blocks for how they're organized. P1 vital info - name, race, offensive/defensive info. P2 Skills/Feats, Ability scores, Special information. Plus space for how special atttacks&Actions work or what they do.

Or maybe a Universal Player Sheet for a DM's important NPCs&Monsters that doubles as a PC Character Sheet.
The D&D Insider registration page tells me:

If you already have a forums account, then you already have an account and don't need to go through this registration process!

But I can't sign in under either my forum ID or the email address I gave wizards with with that ID. Is anyone else having this problem?
Niles... Same problem here. It just keeps reverting back to "guest" whenever I move to the password field to type my password in
Niles... Same problem here. It just keeps reverting back to "guest" whenever I move to the password field to type my password in

Yeah apparently all we can do is guess as a "guest" at this point.
I might be willing to use D&D Insider despite the cost. It has both Dungeon and Dragon magazines. It all really depends on whether or not 4e is any good. A character and campaign vault aren't anything new. I use thetangledweb.com for storing my characters. Whatever is in D&D Insider will probably be a much more useful version of this. And of course there's the campaign manager. I've seen free ones on the internet before that weren't very good. Hopefully this will be better.

You might as well play a real online game and save yourself the price of books.
You might as well play a real online game and save yourself the price of books.

I disagree (though I'll probably end up doing both this and a "real" online game), from what I could see in the videos the virtual tabletop interface looks very nice and completely worth 10 bucks a month.

Same here. POS.
I disagree (though I'll probably end up doing both this and a "real" online game), from what I could see in the videos the virtual tabletop interface looks very nice and completely worth 10 bucks a month.

Maybe for a group but $120 bucks a year per player is nuts. I'd expect only a little more than that for a year of Age of Conan when it comes out. It's like twice XBox Live gold.

$10 bucks a month would be reasonable on a per campaign basis...full DM access (toolkits + create online game) with limited player access (character creator + join online game). One time purchase for adventures. Additional subscription fee for the mags.
Maybe for a group but $120 bucks a year per player is nuts. I'd expect only a little more than that for a year of Age of Conan when it comes out. It's like twice XBox Live gold.

I'm fully expecting Age of Conan to follow the trend of $14.99 a month, especially with all the features it's touting.

That's roughly $174 a year.

Most MMOs do that, by the way.
I'm fully expecting Age of Conan to follow the trend of $14.99 a month, especially with all the features it's touting.

That's roughly $174 a month.

Most MMOs do that, by the way.

A 12 month commitment will probably be 13 or so (wow 13 for 6mo commit). LOTRO was 9.99 with pre-order.

Sounds almost exactly like Obsidian Portal -- and it's already up and running!

http://www.obsidianportal.com
Enter the new world of warcraft...

'If it ain't Dwarven, its crap!'

Yeah apparently all we can do is guess as a "guest" at this point.

Posted this elsewhere as well, but it seemed appropriate to repeat it...

===============

I just find it find it curious that they said during the GenCon presentation (and I'm paraphrasing from memory) that Insider would "go live in full preview mode" right after the announcement presentation, yet apparently "free preview mode" means (at the moment) "seeing exactly what you can see on the D&D website without logging in to Insider."

I understand the tools aren't up, and new Dragon and Dungeon content won't arrive until October (if I recall correctly)... but then what is the point of activating a "free preview mode" if you have nothing to preview as of yet?

Don't get me wrong, I will still be checking the site almost daily to see what new stuff is made available.

It's just kind of funny that:

(A) so many people attempted to log on to the site following the announcement that it led to a server crash of at least 12 hours in length; and

(B) once the server was brought back online the amount of exclusive "free preview" content people could log on to see turned out to be absolutely zero.

So you mean we dropped the site's HP to below zero (but higher than -10) with nothing to show for it?

ideoultracounterquasicryptopropseudocontraneoantidisestablishmentarianisticalismesque reminiscent of the idea of the highest degree of being against something that is almost but not quite secretly in favor of pretended or spurious opposition to the revival or modification of a movement characterized by relation to the movement or ideology that opposes the ending of the status of an group of individuals regarded as an entity as granted by enacted legislation
We currently have a plenthora of "splat" books. If we can end up with roughly the same content, online, with modifications on the fly based on other users' suggestions, and if it can be downloaded and shared, and if it only costs me $100 to $150 a year, I'm totally in.

If you play D&D even 20 hours a month, that's 240 hours a year. If, after the cost of the core books, you're pushing out another $120 a year for 240 hours of play, you're paying a very low price per hour of entertainment. Compare this to the cost of seeing a movie.

It ain't bad. That said, I'll keep my fingers crossed. If the online costs are significantly higher, or have a tendency to creep up all the time, it'll be a deal buster, and I'll just go back to doing everything on my own.

Dave
So you mean we dropped the site's HP to below zero (but higher than -10) with nothing to show for it?

So whats my share of xp then?:D
Someone else pointed out that since so many people were involved in the attack on the Internet Golem from the Demiplane of Cyberius that any XP distributed would be negligible. Of course, that depends on what an Internet Golem's initial CR is (I don't have my Monster Manuals handy).

I figure that, at a minimum, we should each be granted sufficient XP to cover the expense of three months of Insider access fees, especially since we apparently caused a collateral slowdown of the ENWorld server drones as well.
ideoultracounterquasicryptopropseudocontraneoantidisestablishmentarianisticalismesque reminiscent of the idea of the highest degree of being against something that is almost but not quite secretly in favor of pretended or spurious opposition to the revival or modification of a movement characterized by relation to the movement or ideology that opposes the ending of the status of an group of individuals regarded as an entity as granted by enacted legislation
Here is some more info for you guys.

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=908201
So this means I can't even save my character on my own computer, I have to trust you yahoos to save it for me?

Is it still a ten character limit, or did you do away with that or expand it to 25?
Terms you should know...
Show
Kit Build - A class build that is self sustaining and has mechanical differences than the normal scale. Started in Essentials. Most are call their own terms, though the Base Class should be said in front of their own terms (Like Assassin/Executioner) Power Points - A mechanic that was wedged into the PHB3 classes (with the exception of the Monk) from the previous editions. This time, they are used to augment At Wills to be Encounters, thus eliminating the need to choose powers past 4th level. Mage Builds - Kit builds that are schools of magic for the Wizard. A call back to the previous editions powering up of the wizard. (Wizard/Necromancer, for example) Unlike the previous kit builds, Wizards simply lose their Scribe Rituals feature and most likely still can choose powers from any build, unlike the Kit Builds. Parcel System - A treasure distribution method that keeps adventurers poor while forcing/advising the DM to get wish lists from players. The version 2.0 rolls for treasure instead of making a list, and is incomplete because of the lack of clarity about magic item rarity.
ha ha
56902498 wrote:
They will Essentialize the Essentials classes, otherwise known as Essentials2. The new sub-sub-classes will be: * Magician. A subsubclass of Mage, the magician has two implements, wand and hat, one familiar (rabbit) and series of basic tricks. * Crook. A subsubclass of Thief, the Crook can only use a shiv, which allows him to use his only power... Shank. * Angry Vicar, a subsubclass of warpriest, the angry vicar has two attacks -- Shame and Lecture. * Hitter. A subsubclass of Slayer, the Hitter hits things. * Gatherer. A subsubclass of Hunter, it doesn't actually do anything, but pick up the stuff other players might leave behind. Future Essentials2 classes include the Security Guard (Sentinel2), the Hexknife (Hexblade2), the Webelos (Scout2), the Gallant (Cavalier2) and the Goofus (Knight2). These will all be detailed in the box set called Heroes of the Futile Marketing. (Though what they should really release tomorrow is the Essentialized version of the Witchalok!)
Here is some more info for you guys.

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=908201

From the hardware specs listed, and the pc-centric focus, it looks like out of my group of 6, I will be the only one able to use the Character builder. That's only because my employer gives me a cheap windows laptop every 2 years. Although by this time next year, it will be a Vista machine.
From the hardware specs listed, and the pc-centric focus, it looks like out of my group of 6, I will be the only one able to use the Character builder. That's only because my employer gives me a cheap windows laptop every 2 years. Although by this time next year, it will be a Vista machine.

Request an XP machine, just to give the base for the disdain for Vista.

The requirement for windows may go further, I would like to know if IE is required or if we could use Mozilla or another browser instead. I have been using Mozilla since the update took away all my buttons in IE.
Terms you should know...
Show
Kit Build - A class build that is self sustaining and has mechanical differences than the normal scale. Started in Essentials. Most are call their own terms, though the Base Class should be said in front of their own terms (Like Assassin/Executioner) Power Points - A mechanic that was wedged into the PHB3 classes (with the exception of the Monk) from the previous editions. This time, they are used to augment At Wills to be Encounters, thus eliminating the need to choose powers past 4th level. Mage Builds - Kit builds that are schools of magic for the Wizard. A call back to the previous editions powering up of the wizard. (Wizard/Necromancer, for example) Unlike the previous kit builds, Wizards simply lose their Scribe Rituals feature and most likely still can choose powers from any build, unlike the Kit Builds. Parcel System - A treasure distribution method that keeps adventurers poor while forcing/advising the DM to get wish lists from players. The version 2.0 rolls for treasure instead of making a list, and is incomplete because of the lack of clarity about magic item rarity.
ha ha
56902498 wrote:
They will Essentialize the Essentials classes, otherwise known as Essentials2. The new sub-sub-classes will be: * Magician. A subsubclass of Mage, the magician has two implements, wand and hat, one familiar (rabbit) and series of basic tricks. * Crook. A subsubclass of Thief, the Crook can only use a shiv, which allows him to use his only power... Shank. * Angry Vicar, a subsubclass of warpriest, the angry vicar has two attacks -- Shame and Lecture. * Hitter. A subsubclass of Slayer, the Hitter hits things. * Gatherer. A subsubclass of Hunter, it doesn't actually do anything, but pick up the stuff other players might leave behind. Future Essentials2 classes include the Security Guard (Sentinel2), the Hexknife (Hexblade2), the Webelos (Scout2), the Gallant (Cavalier2) and the Goofus (Knight2). These will all be detailed in the box set called Heroes of the Futile Marketing. (Though what they should really release tomorrow is the Essentialized version of the Witchalok!)
Could some one in the know tell us if we would get to keep what we buy?
Are we buying access or product?
$10 a month sucks if, unlike a magazine I cant keep even if I cancel future subscriptions.
I Share/trade/buy/and sell magazines.
What can I do with this content?
If I can share it, well its a step down from the free content I have been using.
It will have to be BETTER than the often shaky content of Dragon.
Dungeon was even worse.
See the thing is, Im a Player. I dont need new Fluff. I need good balanced interesting Crunch.
If I have to spend 10$ just to LOOK and see if an issue is worth my time, and I then cant pass it along so someone in my group can use what I cant, well...

So before I get any more worked up, what is the word on this?
I'm going to do a small visual for my own benifit.

all right, I'm paying $10 a month. Giving me:

Character creator and visualizer
Dungon creator
Online Virtual Tabletop
Subscription to Dungeon
Subscription to Dragon

Pretty good, upon thinking about it. Although I would like a "pick and choose" option for cheaper (i.e. not getting dungeon or dragon to knock the price down).
The character and campaign vaults' concept are that they will be an online repository of information dedicated to your character(s) and/or campaign(s).

As a player, you will be able to present your character to the world, possibly keeping a journal of your adventures (with tools like blogs for example), and allow others to see what your character is about. This is also where you can load your character(s)' file from the D&DI applications (character sheet and character builder mainly) so that others could use it in their own D&DI applications suite if they want to (and if you want them to access it)

As a DM, you will be able to showcase your campaign, keep track of what is going there, provide background information on such to selected group of friends (your gaming buddies certainly, but you will be free to open or restrict that as you see fit). You will get access to tools like wiki for example, and can also upload information taken from the D&DI applications suite (The dungeon builder and the encounter builder for example) for others to use (always with the ability to chose what you want others to see and get access to).

These are, in a nutshell, the concepts behind the Character and Campaign vaults. More information on all these will be released in the upcoming months through dndinsider.com, so stay tuned, be patient and keep playing!
You will get access to tools like wiki for example

Do you mean we'll each be able to have our -own- wiki? That'd be kinda cool, although it'd have to be really incredible to convince me to drop my current wiki provider (I have a really good deal going at PBWiki).