D&D Insider

485 posts / 0 new
Last post
Will all of the DI work on my Mac?
1) From what I understand you will be able to save 10 PC's to the system. If I've used up all 10 "slots" can I delete one and create a new one?

2) Are the e-books going to be pdf's? If so can I save them to my computer?

3) Will I only have access to the e-books as a member of DDI?
Scott,

Will the all the software be compatible with Macintosh and Linux? I'm really interested in this but rarely have access to machines with Windows on them.
1) From what I understand you will be able to save 10 PC's to the system. If I've used up all 10 "slots" can I delete one and create a new one?

That's a funny question. Can you imagine a system where you are stuck with those 10 characters forever and are not allowed to delete? That's it for the next 10 years, only those 10 characters.
Our plan is that when you buy a book it will have a unique code and with a very nominal fee you can unlock the e-book version. This will also auto-populate the data bases in the character creator so the system knows what books you own/play with.

so we have to buy the same book twice
Any chance the Character Visualizer will be available before the new edition? It's pretty useful for the current edition as well...
OK so there is 'nominal fee.' How is this fee to be paid?

I can only assume that you are going after everyone who uses credit cards, I and many others refuse too (a number of gamers I know). Also aren't you cutting off kids? They should be a target demographic, and it is difficult for them to get credit.

I started playing D&D when I was twelve, I bought the books and wrote my own character sheets. Will I still be able to do this? At least accept mailed Money Orders.

What happens if we don't pay the recurring fee? Is our stuff deleted if we miss a payment, or something big happens to us in real life and we can't keep up with informing Wizards about it?

I guess the big question is, if I just want to keep getting together with my friends and tabletop gaming, why do I need 4E? Mind you, the word in that question was need not what might I find interesting or useful from 4E, but what is needed as badly as the updates to 3E were needed?
I can only assume that you are going after everyone who uses credit cards, I and many others refuse too (a number of gamers I know). Also aren't you cutting off kids? They should be a target demographic, and it is difficult for them to get credit.

Please remember that kids have evolved. We are looking at the Ipod generation, with a parents credit card attached to the MMO accounts and the ability to go to the local grociery store and buy a prepaid credit card for internet use. The box is alot larger in the credit world for this generation than it was 10 years ago when I was growing up.
Whether or not the character generation software can be updated for multiple accounts is a big issue for the games I play and run.
We have up to 12 people that game together at our LGS, two of which have little to no access to the internet, and 6-8 of them do not have credit cards.

Will someone without constant internet access be able to download the generator and additional materials, then transfer them by disk to a computer that is not connected to the internet and still be able to use them?

If six of the 12 buy the books, will we be able to grant access to our DI add-ons to the others, so they can make characters or at least so that they will know what the abilities/feats may become available should they buy them, other then borrowing the book to read over it?

I suppose the most important thing for me is being able to use the character generation software without an internet connection. I have one computer hooked up to the net, and another that I use for most of the things I don't want to loose, in case of a virus or other problem that causes me to re-install everything.

Will the software be backwards compatible for windows XP and even 98? As well as usable by other systems, such as Linux and MacOS?
If it requires Vista, I can tell you now that I will not be using it.

Is there any plan to make a handheld version of the software?
Perhaps a separate handheld device that can be plugged into a net enabled computer to download the software for player use in the game, with a laptop-like DM's system that can run the game and reference character data from player's devices for rolls that the DM should make without player's knowledge?
With the cost of making such things going down, this could be a plan for future editions, where player's buy a handheld PHB/character station for around or under $50, and have a hard copy available for $20-30 more. And a DM's laptop with the MM, DMG, and virtual table available for $150-200. These devices could be made with wireless connectivity, and capable of accessing the DI, similar to game systems in use today. Prices may need to be higher, as inflation keeps raising prices on game systems, but it would need to be usable online or at the gaming table with equal ease.
Now that 4th is 'officially' announced, I am curious to know how open the 4th rules will be. The OGL (for 3/3.5) has allowed the game to grow beyond the offerings of the mother-company, thus creating a huge fan base and thousands of supporting products.

Will the 4th edition also be OGL?
As the Owner/Creator of a v3.5 product for years, my lively hood may depends on this... (I would hate to be put out of work because of 4th, as many would be if there is no OGL. This would spell disaster for many Jobs...)

RiTz21
There will be an OGL/SRD. Terms of the agreement have not been released.
First I want to say that I don't know where this new character generator is actually announced, I've only found this new forum and the links in it, none of which seem to point to the actual announcement, and the website is down.
Basically these are my FAQs about character generators.

My experience with Character generators is mainly PCGen. I love it so much, that I have basically stopped buying books since you stopped support for it november 2006. I have 42 datasets for it, almost one for each of the 47 3/3.5e books I own. It supports everything in those books but racial subclasses as far as I know.
I know 4e will not have the exact same rules, but how does the level of complexity compare to 3e? How easy will it be to add my own rulesets?

Will the character generator always encompass all rules available in 4e, if you have all books+magic codes, or will it lag behind the released printed content, like e-Tools/PCGen did?

I have about 200-250 characters generated with it, mostly NPCs, but also about 30 PC characters. I read comments like the new one will only be able to hold 10 characters. This is way to limited for me, as a lot of these PCs and NPCs are part of my campaign and will develop and be re-encountered over the course of the stories. Will it be possible to store entire campaigns like this?

I can whip up things like a level 17 Druid/Sorcerer/Daggerspell shaper/Harper Scout with regional feats, languages etc. from the Forgotten Realms, assign equipment, feats and skills in about 20-30 minutes. Simpler characters like a straight level 20 wizard go in about 10 minutes. How fast would something like this go in the new character generator?

I often work on Mac OSX and Linux, will it be available for those platforms?

I often work in public transport, mostly trains, would I be able to create characters whitout internet connection?

I realy like the output options of PCGen, having both html and PDF output, with for example if I include all FR books and Complete/Environment series, it will for divine casters give a complete list of all spells available to them, with computed DCs, description, range, duration, number of dice/targets, pagenumber in the source book, etc. in a very condensed format (about 20 spells/page).
Will the new character generator have similarly detailed outputs, or will it mainly be stats/skills/feats/equipment or their 4e equivalent?

Will it be easy to for example print your character using different combinations of spells or abilities? I'm thinking things like the druid wildshape ability, Cleric Divine Power, Wizard Mage Armor. I often print different versions of characters with and without buffs like that, so I can us tlook up the numbers.

I would just like to add a few requests whatever you do:
- Make it work properly with normal A4 paper size, and not just the odd sizes you use in the US.
- It needs to be online 24/7, as not everyone is on the same timezones as you. I hate it that this website is ofline almost every morning/lunch hour "for maintenance".
- You realy need to convince me that you will support this for the duration of 4e and some years into 5e. I have seen to many examples of things that were supposed to be supported for ever, but then only be around for 1-3 years. Famous examples include Microsoft PlayForSure, Google Video service, PlanetInternet Music store.

---------------------------------------------------

Finally I would just like to point out to the people in this thread something that a lot do not seem aware of. Character generators for 3/3.5 edition are available, like RPXplorer, HeroLabs, and that up until november 2006 you could get datasets for two of them, namely e-Tools and PCGen, that were released with official approval of WotC. e-Tools as I understood it, is basically what became of the program that came with the 3.0 PHB. Both support all books at least up to the SpellCompendium.
See the Digital DnD forum for a lot more information about available character generators for 3/3.5

Star Wars Saga Edition is by far the best RPG that Wizards of the Coast has ever published.

I once asked the question (in D&D 3.5) "Does a Druid4/Wizard3/ArcaneHierophant1 have Wildshape?". Jesse Decker and Andy Collins: Yes and the text is clear and can't be interpreted differently. Rich Redman and Ed Stark: No and the text is clear and can't be interpreted differently. Skip Williams: Lol, it's worded ambiguously and entirely not how I intended it. (Cust. Serv. Reference# 050815-000323)

I really want to know if the Character Creator, et al can be used off-line. I grew up in the days before DSL, and do not assume my connection will be there every time I want it. I might be on the road, my ISP might decide to be stupid, or I might be physically at the game table.

Basically, if I paid for it fair and square, I want to access it on my terms.
I really want to know if the Character Creator, et al can be used off-line. I grew up in the days before DSL, and do not assume my connection will be there every time I want it. I might be on the road, my ISP might decide to be stupid, or I might be physically at the game table.

Basically, if I paid for it fair and square, I want to access it on my terms.

QFT

If I'm paying 9.95 per month, I better be able to access the programs offline. Obviously except for the social network function, being that it is a MySpace/Facebook style dealy.
Yours, Dave the Brave
Though I like the Character Generator. I simply do not want to pay a subscription for a piece of software. Why? I'm not going to pay $10/mo for a subscription.

I've had no qualms in the past going out and buying legal, licenced versions of core rules, etools, dm genie, CC, and Dundjinni to build and run my games. I build a lot of my games while sitting in airport lobbies and hotel rooms. I want the flexability of being able to work on my games anywhere and anytime.

Same applies to Game Table.
The ability to make a dozen entirely different dwarven fighters paste their mugs on a dozen character sheets and print them out in full colour would be immensly cool.

The inability to draw would no longer hinder my players.

Is it possible that just the bare bones visualizer and the Character Sheets could be added in a CD on the inside of the book jacket?

I understand that the online visualizer would be updated to include new races and style of dress as new suppliments come out and that's great and everything but a bone to our non-internet ready fellows might be appreciated.
You know, I was getting really good at drawing my chars up with illistrator, Would I be able to make an on map "Mini" and also display my Illistrator art? I hope so
The essential theme song- Get a little bit a fluff da' fluff, get a little bit a fluff da' fluff! (ooh yeah) Repeat Unless noted otherwise every thing I post is my opinion, and probably should be taken as tongue in cheek any way.
i really couldnt care less about the visual aspect. my chances of playing D&D online or bringing a laptop to the table are virtually nil. as long as the actual mechanical creation part can be used offline(in case my ISP craps out), is kept up to date and accurate, and works on Mac OS, ill be happy with it.
Just thought you should know. the countdown continues...
I for one plan to be an online RDND ("real" DND not the online game) junkie, To think, I was about to purchase WOW!
The essential theme song- Get a little bit a fluff da' fluff, get a little bit a fluff da' fluff! (ooh yeah) Repeat Unless noted otherwise every thing I post is my opinion, and probably should be taken as tongue in cheek any way.
Quick question

Who would put 50$ down to get a mini they themselves had made in Character Creator?

Seriously, if you didn't have to go and sort through piles of mini's looking for something that looked kind of like your character?

Instead you had one that was your character?
Ooooh, I would.

But that's assuming that the character creator is robust -- and can handle creating monstrous characters.

Here's hopin'

Edit: He meant physical miniatures, bud.
Quick question

Who would put 50$ down to get a mini they themselves had made in Character Creator?

Seriously, if you didn't have to go and sort through piles of mini's looking for something that looked kind of like your character?

Instead you had one that was your character?

50 bucks would be too much, but I would definetly do it if the price was right
50 bucks would be too much, but I would definetly do it if the price was right

For a mold and paint job of a single issue model, it sounds about right. It couldn't be mass produced and it wouldn't arrive until 2-3 months after you ordered it, but it would be your special mini, not quite like anyone elses.
For a mold and paint job of a single issue model, it sounds about right. It couldn't be mass produced and it wouldn't arrive until 2-3 months after you ordered it, but it would be your special mini, not quite like anyone elses.

Yeah, I don't know the ins and outs of the molding biz, but now that you mention it that sounds right
Yeah, I don't know the ins and outs of the molding biz, but now that you mention it that sounds right

Niether do I. But I am trying to start a murmer among the fan base in that direction.
50 bucks for a custom model seems low. Sculptors are usually paid a few hundred dollars to create an original that'll be mass produced.
50 bucks for a custom model seems low. Sculptors are usually paid a few hundred dollars to create an original that'll be mass produced.

In this case though the sculpts are basically composites of pre-defined pieces. But really to do this right would involve the use of a 3d printer, eliminating the need for a custom mold to be made and then the custom fig painted. I'd imagine the costs are within the range of this being workable, but I don't know about the durability of the final product.

(And I prefer to paint my own. Nothing beats my artificer with his giant spanner.)
Ya you'd need somekind of electronic adjustable mold, that would adjust it's self to match the shape of the virtual mini, rather then sculpting them individually.

Given the one in my mind is a box filled solid with vertical pins, and you'd need some sort of skin to cling to the pins, so the liquid plastic didn't go where it shouldn't.

It's complicated and perhaps unlikely, but the possibility should be considered thoroughly before being discarded.
I'm going to have to agree with one of the earlier posters. The Character Generator/Creator must support houserules, otherwise the other silly features are quite useless.

Though I must reserve my judgement for when the edition or adventure game comes out. We'll see.
In this case though the sculpts are basically composites of pre-defined pieces. But really to do this right would involve the use of a 3d printer, eliminating the need for a custom mold to be made and then the custom fig painted. I'd imagine the costs are within the range of this being workable, but I don't know about the durability of the final product.

(And I prefer to paint my own. Nothing beats my artificer with his giant spanner.)

AFAIK, 3d printers aren't even in the prototype phase. They're barely in the "lets finally put together whats on the drawing board and do some preliminary testing" phase. I read an article on it about a year ago and it said don't expect these for at least another 5 years, probably 7 to 10 years.
There is a company in England that dose 3D printing of 3D models. I think it was about 30 pounds (the money pounds that the English uses) it would not be painted but it still produces vary acturit models. The problem is that the machine costs too much and dos not have much use in a home environment.
I am going to WASTE so much FREAKING TIME on colors and facial expressions...

For serious, this is just going to increase the time I'll take to make a character because my aesthetic mind CAN'T SHUT THE HELLS UP!
Things I would like to see in a creator system:

1) Support for all currently published sources. (hey if we are going to have to pay for it it should be up to date).

2) A printable sheet thats 1 page front/back for all stats, abilities, gear, etc... and if you are a spellcaster/psionic/martial adept a sheet with the rules text for all known spells/powers/manuevers so that you don't have to go digging through books in the middle of combat if someone has a question or there is a complication. Spell sheets save time period, and it's tedious to copy/paste spell descriptions onto a page and print out every time I level up or make a new character. Possibly one for feats with special uses, and any racial abilities. Yes I know, a good player should know all of this before the game but hey, not all players are good and 4E is suppossed to be streamlined, this will help out alot.
Scott,

Just in case this doesn't get addressed elsewhere, here are my own questions and issues.

1) I would very, very much like for PCs, NPCs and monsters that I create and/or customize to be in a format that I can export to my own word processor. I would be happy with a PDF export feature or a feature that allows exporting to some format such as Rich Text Format or even formatted text. Can you say whether this is an option that's planned or will be considered? I don't like the idea of being forced into a particular kind of character sheet, or stat block, or to print a character sheet that's 4 or 8 pages long (I have a remarkable ability to get even a 20th level multiclassed templated character all onto one sheet). I don't want to have to use up ink printing logos and whatever else might be included on the format that WotC chooses for me. Ink costs are a very real concern for me, and probably for a significant number of your other users, and I want to know that I have some flexibility here.

2) I understand editing and layout and all that. I know that, despite best efforts, there will be errata published for the core books, eventually. There may even be a second printing of the books that cleans up some of that (it's happened before). Will the electronic tools update, as it were, on the fly? Can we expect robust patches to the software, that incorporates user feedback?

Thank you for taking the time to read through our posts and address our concerns. I, for one, am cautiously excited at the prospects coming in 2008.

Dave
So basically I pay for my book, Pay another fee to access the information in that book in the online character generator, and pay a monthly fee to access the online character generator itself?

Umm... no. In the first place, I don't use my credit card online at all. Second, I fail to see why you require a fee to access the information. Your two reasons do not sound logical to me. Why should you care who puts in a code to access the book online? For that matter, what are you going to do if someone does start abusing it? What's to say person a didn't buy a dozen PhB's and is activating them all? And I'm sorry, you make ONE e-book, then allow access to it for everyone who puts in a code, allowing you to copy it if necessary. The e-book is practically FREE after the cost of a book. If you didn't have it in electronic format first to send the CD to the bookmaker to run copies of it, you can bloody well scan it in any scanner with text recognition. Takes you maybe two hours of unskilled labor for a big book. Big deal.

Also, what about the second-hand market? If person A buys the book, registers the code online, then after a few months decides to sell it to Half-Priced Books, wherein person B purchases it. What will happen when person B tries to register it? Does it block him because person A already registered it? Is there a way to give a book to a friend and transfer the 'code'? If not, you're going to loose out on a LOT of subscriptions from guys who buy it second-hand. If so, you open the door to a secondary black-market of illicit codes. All of which would be negated by just not charging people in the first place. Without the price tag to draw people's attention, it becomes a non-issue and people will use, or not use, it as they will.

It just doesn't make any sense to me, and is greatly discouraging me from even bothering with 4e entirely.
2) I understand editing and layout and all that. I know that, despite best efforts, there will be errata published for the core books, eventually. There may even be a second printing of the books that cleans up some of that (it's happened before). Will the electronic tools update, as it were, on the fly? Can we expect robust patches to the software, that incorporates user feedback?

The PDFs I've been downloading from Wizards for the past year have all been... I don't know what there proper terms are... I was able to select and copy the text and graphics and then paste them into MS Word. The formatting and layout went a bit dodgy, and I had to work out how to make the fonts behave after the transfer, but otherwise it worked quite well. I've no reason to assume new PDFs will not work the same way.

So basically I pay for my book, Pay another fee to access the information in that book in the online character generator, and pay a monthly fee to access the online character generator itself?

-Snip-

I would be a lot happier, too, if the PDFs and tools were included in a CD glued to the book itself, rather than extra steps online.

I have yet to actually see anything that nails it all down definitively, but I'm assuming the online thing will not be nickel and dime charges like iTunes, but rather a monthly/yearly subscription fee à la MMOs. That doesn't solve the used book issue or the piracy issue (frankly, this feels like a practically HANDING the pirates the keys, and giving them gas money on top of it), but it would make more sense.
Question about homebrew rules.

Supposing I made an entirely new race or class, what would the difficulty be for integrating it into the character creator? Will it be as simple as checkboxes or fill-in-the-blank or will it be a very difficult you-need-to-take-a-class type programming?
AFAIK, 3d printers aren't even in the prototype phase. They're barely in the "lets finally put together whats on the drawing board and do some preliminary testing" phase. I read an article on it about a year ago and it said don't expect these for at least another 5 years, probably 7 to 10 years.

Home use ones maybe. But commercial application ones are available, primarily for rapid prototyping and one off production.

edit: A quick look around the net and I found printers starting for ~$20,000 (link. I couldn't find a cost estimate for the cost of a piece produced, however, since the process used a pretty common plastic, I can imagine the unit runs are that expensive. (IE I suspect its like laser printers, where the unit itself is expensive, but the per page cost of the consumables is very low.)
OMG virtual minis, online character building with optional DM rules.

I wonder if this can support pregenerated scripts that deal with city guards using detect magic scanners on characters to allow or deny them access? I also wonder if it can take creative ways to get around them into account such as said characters disguised with Alter Self, Cloak of Khyber and Nystuls Magic Aura to get past them all without the DM having to sit there and press 10 million buttons or actually remove said guards from the door before you can go through?

I kinda wonder if as the DM you can end an adventure and cinematically pick up your players pieces and drop them back into their Spelljamming ship or will they have to walk all the way back through a dungeon?

As part of playing online with detailed looking generated characters will I be able to have my halfling cast alter self to appear as a diaper clad human child?

Online stuff sounds like roleplaying death.
Online stuff sounds like roleplaying death.

Pst, it's D&D, the online stuff gets to be a map, a couple mini's, dice roller, chat box and lighting.

If they actually make the mistake of puting any work into the game mechanics of the online game then that, then bully for them.

And your post belong on the D&D Insider - Game Table
Sign In to post comments