D&D Insider

662 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here’s the thread to talk about the D&D Game Table, where players and DMs can play D&D 24/7, among other things.
I am really excited to learn more information about this - but as I mentioned in the Dungeon Master's Kit thread, mac compatibility is key for myself and several of my players.
Gah! I assume we'll have to wait another 19 hours to find out more than this leaked info, yes?

oh, the irony. But this sounds like an amazing feature.
I too am most intrigued by this...

Only way you'll probably get me to use it though is if you have the datasets of VTTs that cost money, with a bult-in chargen, as well as the mapping ability of MapTool and the nifty thingamadoodads of ORPG. :D
To edit your signature, click the red "Preferences" link in the top-right corner of the white space for the forums. It is directly to the left of the search bar and directly above the location bar.
Is it true you can only play 3 times per month? If so that would be rediculous.
I agree with Kehoe. Mac compatibility is vital.
The whole thing is a revolution and "officialization" of online traditional D&D (And frankly it's what D&D-Online should have been in the first place)

My biggest concern of the monthly fees for something that's most likly going to see only semi-regular use at best. D&D has always had a place in my heart as "the poor man's game". Not that you can't sink thousands of dollars into it if you choose, but more that all you NEED is a single $30 purchase, a pencil, and some friends. Personally I always have trouble coming up with a pencil. anyway, regular monthly fees to play D&D would be an incredible turn off to me. It takes away the casual fun, I have to maintain a paid account, if I break up with my gaming group...do i cancel my account? do i cancel it and then reactivate it if i find another one?

And what do i get exactly for that monthly fee? it sounds vague like the "Insider Game Table" will have some sort of server side character generator, probably with mountains of pull-down menus and radio buttons, and if you pay then your pull-down menus will have more choices and some radio buttons will become un-greyed. Theoretically this isn't so bad. Everyone plays free, if you pay you get a bit more...works great for Dungeon Runners. the problem is, if you don't pay, can you be at the same virtual table with someone that does? and he's using all this extra "splat" material, and you're just a second class PC.
Is it true you can only play 3 times per month? If so that would be rediculous.

They'll probably have 3 games per month included in the basic service with additional games for a higher fee.
yeah great, and most players in a timezone lagging 6 hours behind for me...
Is someone going to post anything useful?

HELLO?

WotC???

Can we get something more than guesses in here?

Most new games and programs are Mac compatible these days. Worry not.
Here’s the thread to talk about the D&D Game Table, where players and DMs can play D&D 24/7, among other things.

Play D&D 24/7!!!! Well now my sleeping habits are going to get even more screwed up
I haven't lost my mind I've simply misplaced it
Cross platform, or no deal. My group has 3 Mac users, 1 Linux user, a Windows 2000 grognard, and only one Windows XP user.

Remember WotC, even if Windows XP/IE6 is 90% of the market, it only takes one player who can't join the group for the whole group to seek an alternative.

That's all for now, 'till I've read more.
Will this system alike play by forums, email and irc?
OpenRPG > this.
On the CO IRC, generally as TorpedoFish.
Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
You're the straightest shooter I know on these boards. You don't mince words about your opinions, and I respect that about you. The whole fiasco you described in the last State of the CO Forum was particularly enlightening (and kind of disappointing with regards to how they see us).
56868168 wrote:
Ah, Tsuyo. When your post isn't one sentence long full of asterisks, you have much wisdom to share with us .
From the IRC:
(19:52) RuinsFate: You know, I was gonna agree with something PalOn said... but I think I'm just gonna through my lot in with tsuyo's sudden train-wreck grade interjection. (01:45) Nausicaa: yes your rage is a righteous rage :D (01:45) Nausicaa: righteous rage of torpedo
My sci-fi writing.
I'm thinking it might be Java based. Though Java does have that criticism "Write once, debug everywhere".
OpenRPG <?> MapTool

To edit your signature, click the red "Preferences" link in the top-right corner of the white space for the forums. It is directly to the left of the search bar and directly above the location bar.
This could be cool. Where I live it can be difficult to find players, so this is the main thing I'm looking forward to in DI. I just hope they do a decent job, and make it so I can use it on either, preferably, my light-weight laptop or my kick-ass Mac desktop. I won't be buying a gaming PC for this.
Seconding Linux Compatibility, please. And keep it simple. just a nice grid, chatroom, and die roller, maybe a quick reference SRD, an initiative tracker, and pretty good to go.

Make it as interoperable and as playable as possible, not as flashy and bling as possible.

Granted, I'd also love for it to be completely free (as in beer) to use, but that's probably not going to happen.
What I'm wondering is actually how easy it would be to pull off a "Full Frontal Nerdity" situation with the D&D Game Table. Could be kind of interesting to have a group of mixed tabletop and virtual participants in a campaign.
Lol, Lan-Party DND anyone?
Sir Casm, Lord of the Oblivious
this thread would be more useful if someone who actually knew stuff about this thing could give us some info.
OpenRPG > this.

Ffft. You only say that because you don't know what the Game Table app looks like yet. I'm in the "cautiously optimistic" camp, personally.
I'll chime in with "please make it Mac-compatible", too.

Not that there's a dearth of Mac-compatible virtual tabletop programs (e.g., OpenRPG, Battlegrounds, MapTool, KloogeWerks, Gametable, etc.).

The developers of WotC's Game Table are probably already aware of what's out there, but just in case, here are links to all the virtual tabletop programs, for all platforms.
Keep it simple. just a nice grid, chatroom, and die roller, maybe a quick reference SRD, an initiative tracker, and pretty good to go.

Make it as interoperable and as playable as possible, not as flashy and bling as possible.

What he said. If your "bling" means I can't use my homebrew setting or rules, this is dead to me. What's the point then?

Granted, I'd also love for it to be completely free (as in beer) to use, but that's probably not going to happen.

I'll pay for Table access as long as I don't have to buy the new Dragon/Dungeon magazine with it. I haven't subscribed to those for years, and I'm not going to start paying $9.95/mo. for them just for Table. If I can get unlimited Table access and persistent control over any house rules I've entered, I'd pay for that. Not sure what - but less than the "full" price. You should probably make it annual to lower subscription costs and reduce turnover.
They'll probably have 3 games per month included in the basic service with additional games for a higher fee.

This Virtual DnD table needs to be a grand slam for me to get into 4E. AND my Insider subscription better let me play more then 3 times a month or its a no-go for me. Now, if I can be in 3 "campaigns" a month, playing as often as the group/DM deems, then I'm on board.

IT ALL HINGES ON THE SHEER AWESOME-NESS OF THE VIRTUAL TABLE.
OpenRPG > this.

I do agree. I would have to pay?? After seeing the video I posted this :> http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=907356
Ffft. You only say that because you don't know what the Game Table app looks like yet. I'm in the "cautiously optimistic" camp, personally.

For you eyes pleasure :> http://forums.gleemax.com/leaving.php?destination=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dm20AJvdzAdo
For you eyes pleasure :> http://forums.gleemax.com/leaving.php?destination=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dm20AJvdzAdo

Hmm... anyone else see the ability to eventually order custom miniatures from Wizards of the Coast based on your online miniature design? I do have to say, that rather beats out what I saw of Open RPG last time I fooled around with it. Though I saw elsewhere that you would have to purchase dungeon tiles for use in the table (at Enworld I think)-- hopefully you'll get a copy of any you buy physically. I think I'll hold off on the tiles I was thinking about buying for the time being just in case.

(This is assuming that the functionality in the video was primarily the "map" portion of the product and that text and other functionality could still be used.)
OK, that was sweet. As long as we don't get hung on latency issues, it looks like a winner.

The PC maker thing gets a "meh" though.
IMAGE(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/SoulCatcher78/techdevil78.jpg)
Kick down to ease your curiousity :> http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=welcome/conventions/gencon07

Has same video plus audio and 4th Ed. Presentation. The books look nice.

a fee for a virtual tabletop?

:heehee :fight!:

i stopped paying for online services other than my ISP when i outgrew Ever Crack.

like all GOOD games any online type service should be run without some intermidiate server in order to connect the players to the DM.

i find it interesting i don't need special 3rd party connections to get to my webserver.

IP to IP connections are quite easy these days and don't require the middle man to run a special server in order to play D&D online.

not even if it has special graphics.

NWN can already do that with a windows or linux based machine. pretty graphics all over the place and the DM can half-assedly do what he needs to do in the confines of the program.

i would rather jsut play-by-post on a free forum site that pay for anything special from WotC.

this doesn't even consider that they may not offer or be able to offer my RPG of choice. ;)

nope. you can keep your subscription fees and your worthless online service.

i prefer self contained software that i can use without connecting to the internet. then i could have a LAN (local area network) party for D&D. i don't want a tabletop MMO! no thanks!

MMOs are dead to me.
Anyone know where the D&D Insider Site is? I want to signup.
Thanks.
Now will the Game Table have interactive Character Sheets?

So everyone playing in the digital "world" (that is to say if they are playing via internet and not just wiring up the virtual tabletop to a wall projector) can refrence and see the sheets and edit them in real time?
Thanks.

The page is down. It stated that you don't need to sign up, but when I tried to login I was getting a bug that removed my email address and replaced it with Guest. I could login as guest.

I gotta think they are giving the Gen Con attendees the first looks.
Thanks.

same place it has always been.

http://www.tsr.com

that is how i have access the D&D site for many years now.
I thought I would post this here because this should answer some of your questions about the Table Top. :> http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=907356

**adamx20 hides from Mike again**

Yes!! I'm joining the Red Sashes!! Woot!!
"Write once, debug everywhere".

Some FUD is hard to kill ;)
RPTools for the RP games you play
I have a question that I'd love to have answered by someone working on this project. I've heard a lot over the last 24 hours about the marriage between the published products and the online extended content. It's been mentioned that physical supplements will include codes to unlock online functionality, for instance.

As a DM, I've loved the organization of the encounter format for the last few published adventures, and it sounds like a format similar to that is going to be used for 4e. Are you currently planning to have entire encounters as unlockable online content, fully prepared to drop into the Game Table application? For instance, if I purchase Keep of the Shadowfell and want to play it on Game Table, will my D&D Insider code allow me to seamlessly import entire encounters from that adventure into the Game Table application? This could be rather time-intensive from a development standpoint, but if possible would be an incredible asset for DMs looking to run online games to have.

Is anything like this in the works, or is that just not feasible to implement?
Tales from the Rusty Dragon (http://rustydragon.blogspot.com) - A 4th Edition Conversion Project Covering Paizo's Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path
I want to take the request one step further, not only do I want to be able to buy an encounter and have it available from the online table top. I want to be able to e-mail (instead of photocopy) pre made encounter info that also double as invites for my players!

As a long time DM it's a no brainer I'm going to sign up for the online content and table top, but I hope my players will be able to play the online table top I DM without having to pay a fee themselves?

I'm really excited about the merge of online and print D&D. I actually bought a lot of tools that did a ton of this for 3rd edition and my players loved it. The downside was me bringing my laptop to every game, this way everyone can avoide the drive and spend more time playing!
I'd also like to know how the unlockable content will work. If the DM is running a campaign, will the players have access to all the options available in the DM's purchased books, or only their own? I'm foreseeing some serious problems where certain players in a campaign have far more options than others simply because they've bought more books. Will the DM have to go with the "lowest common denominator" library in order to appease the players, or will all the players have access to all the books available to the group? This is, I think, one of the most pressing questions facing the project.
Tales from the Rusty Dragon (http://rustydragon.blogspot.com) - A 4th Edition Conversion Project Covering Paizo's Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path
Sign In to post comments