D&D Insider

523 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here’s the thread to talk about the online magazines, Dungeon and Dragon, the article submission process, and online editorial content in general.
How does the coming of 4th Edition effect the current submissions to Dungeon and Dragon?
I'm hopeful that content from the new online versions of the magazines will be printable in some form as I love having a magazine in my hand.
I've run online D&D for a couple of years now. You have three problems.

One, a game run in text-chat is slow. I expect I've explained the reasons for this over at my blog (dig around, it's somewhere there). Combat takes forever. Slow games are dull.

Two, with voice chat in any system you lack the visual cues of a face-to-face meeting, and you tend to interrupt each other.

Three, there's little really good software out there for online roleplaying. Thankfully, D&D Insider seems likely to tackle this.
There needs to be an offline printed publication even if it's an annual or bi-annual recap of the digital content. By Recap I mean all of the content. Make a few books. Setting based stuff, Core stuff, Adventure stuff. Above all else there needs to be a printed hardcopy and bound form.
An annual "Best Of 20XX" in hardcover would be cool.
I would buy a complete "map of mystery" book that had all the maps from the past magazine.
Three, there's little really good software out there for online roleplaying. Thankfully, D&D Insider seems likely to tackle this.

I don't agree. The folks at RPTools.net have done a great job so far on MapTool and InitTool. They are not complete gaming tools, but they do the "virtual table top" (VTT) gaming pretty well and they are under active development. And I mean, "ACTIVE". This is something I don't expect WotC to be able to match. In addition, they perform quite well even cross-platform (yes, Mac OSX and Linux).

I also expect that the WotC tool will be useful just for 4E and nothing else. Folks who play other game systems or are interested in exploring other game systems will probably want to stick with another VTT as well.

From a personal perspective, I don't plan to be checking D&D Insider much at all, if ever. I have enough $$$ invested in 3E/3.5E that I have content on my bookshelf to last years -- decades, even. I've been so busy lately, I even have the last 7 issues of Dungeon still in cellophane waiting to be unwrapped!

And I think they have an uphill battle trying to convince the techie crowd that they are now competent in the software business (Core Rules, CharGen (was that the name?), e-Tools).

For all that, I wish them luck. They'll need it.
As much as I love reading something on paper, being able to search an e-zine would be great; no more searching through a stack of magazines for 30 minutes to find that one feat you read about 6 months ago.

Not that I wouldn't love more volumes of the Dragon Compendium to come out; I really enjoyed the first.
There needs to be an offline printed publication even if it's an annual or bi-annual recap of the digital content. By Recap I mean all of the content. Make a few books. Setting based stuff, Core stuff, Adventure stuff. Above all else there needs to be a printed hardcopy and bound form.

Yes, will it be available in paper format?
What about hyperlinked PDF's?

I don't know if this is feasible or can be easily implemented, but hypothetically I'd like to download the magazines in a D&D folder in my PC where the other rulebooks/4ed SRD are. Then, references to items in the core rule or older issues would be hyperlinked such that a click brings up a pop-up window with a description of the item or rule in question.
Frankly, I'm curious to see just what will be left on the D&D website that will still be free. With all the optional things requiring payment, I can certainly see WotC simply rolling all the articles that used to be posted for free on the website over to D&D Insider.
Welcome to the future home of Dungeon Magazine! Starting in October, this is your destination for the best in D&D adventures. Here’s a taste of what’s coming in issue #151:

Iggwilv’s Legacy: The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
By Edward Albert, Ari Marmell, and C.A. Suleiman

One of the most ambitious projects to ever hit Dungeon, the classic 1st Edition module is freshly updated to D&D 3.5. Plus, the adventure features a new prelude and a follow-up adventure that takes the PCs to Tsojcanth’s lair.

Hell’s Heart
By Nicolas Logue

The three-part Eberron adventure series that began with “Chimes at Midnight” in issue #133 and continued with “Quoth the Raven” in issue #150 concludes in this chilling visit to Sharn’s sanitarium. A final showdown is brewing in the dark, depraved depths of the asylum, and if the PCs aren’t up to the task, the chaos inside the walls of Hell’s Heart could erupt to engulf the city.

Plus, Dungeoncraft, Save My Game, and even more!
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dungeon

Lost Caverns? Fantastic!
Welcome to the future home of Dungeon Magazine! Starting in October, this is your destination for the best in D&D adventures. Here’s a taste of what’s coming in issue #151:

One of the most ambitious projects to ever hit Dungeon, the classic 1st Edition module is freshly updated to D&D 3.5. Plus, the adventure features a new prelude and a follow-up adventure that takes the PCs to Tsojcanth’s lair.

Hell’s Heart
By Nicolas Logue

The three-part Eberron adventure series that began with “Chimes at Midnight” in issue #133 and continued with “Quoth the Raven” in issue #150 concludes in this chilling visit to Sharn’s sanitarium. A final showdown is brewing in the dark, depraved depths of the asylum, and if the PCs aren’t up to the task, the chaos inside the walls of Hell’s Heart could erupt to engulf the city.

Lost Caverns? Fantastic!

Looks interesting.

Any idea on how much this will cost me to print since I dont have a computer at my gaming table? Or is that more my problem?

A listing of # of pages and an option to get rid of all backgrounds to hopefully save some of the printing cost that's being transferred to your customers, might be appreciated.

Hell’s Heart
By Nicolas Logue

Lost Caverns? Fantastic!

Neat! Lost Caverns was among my favorite first edition modules; I don't recognize the name Edward Albert, but I trust the other two to do quality work.

I've been diggin Nicolas Logue's stuff on the adventure paths. Might be I'll have to get a copy of 133.
Any idea on how much this will cost me to print since I dont have a computer at my gaming table? Or is that more my problem?

D&D Insider is $9.95 per month and free until 2008, per the D&D Insider Fact Sheet
D&D Insider is $9.95 per month and free until 2008, per the D&D Insider Fact Sheet

If that is $10 for each person who wants to play my game, but not use the Insider content, they can forget about it.

If its $10 for me, but free for anyone I invite to "my game", then I can see myself getting talked into it. Especially if they offer long term subscription discounts. Such as $7.00 per month.
If that is $10 for each person who wants to play my game, but not use the Insider content, they can forget about it.

I remember something about a possible discount for those who just wanted to use the "table top function." Don't know where I saw it.

$9.95 per month plus paper and ink.
Yours, Dave the Brave
Another wonder if question?

If the GM at this virtual table has a stack of books bought and activated, will the players at his table be able to use these or will they all have to purchase the same books to be able to use the content that the GM uses in his campaign. Fx if the GM plays with a certain extra class/feat whatever from a sourcebook will the player be able to use it in character creation or must he have the book and pay to activate it himself as well. If the last is the case I dont see any realy future for the DI as on a real tabletop game players share books and information across the table freely without fees.
D&D Insider is $9.95 per month

There are some MMOs that are cheaper than that...

I understand the need to cover the expenses of running it, but $10 does seem a little excessive. That said, I will try it out while it is free and might change my mind...
There are some MMOs that are cheaper than that...

I understand the need to cover the expenses of running it, but $10 does seem a little excessive. That said, I will try it out while it is free and might change my mind...

Oh yeah? Do you remember how much were (monthly) both magazines? This is at least one half of the price and they promise more content, but we will see.
I'm not one of those people who started flaming the boards at the announcement of the end of Dragon and Dungeon Magazines. I love the magazine and what it does for DnD as a whole. I never had a subscription, but every month I would thumb through Dragon to see what was going on and see if I really needed/wanted it. Occasionally I would buy it, but $7.00 an issue kept me from buying as an impulse.

What will justify me (or any other gamer with a tight budget) automatically shelling out money every month for this product?

Picking up a random issue of Paizo's publication that I bought for $7.00 (#355), I've thumbed through the 98 pages...

Every page is printed in four color with a decent quality paper - I guess you can't do anything about that.

Secondly, the visual quality of the magazine is above average on an off-month and stunning on a good month. The artists (and designers) always made Dragon alluring even if the content of a particular month did not shine. Are all of these artists going to be looking for jobs elsewhere while the art of the 4th edition books are recycled in the magazines?

Third - Comics. Will there still be comics? Considering the popularity of what was featured in Dragon and Dungeon, will this tradition continue to the next iteration of the product?

Forth - Currently I never subscribe to anything. Period. I prefer to spend my money wisely on things that I will actually use. Will I have an option of thumbing through an issue to determine if I actually want/need its content.

Fifth - Will the content be worth it or am I throwing my money away on the latest bit of creative masturbation like a detailed stat-block of the 30th level pseudonatural half-wolverine half-succubus paladin and her half-umber hulk, half-unicorn holy mount?

Lastly - Will there still be free content on the Wizards site or is the free ride over?
$9.95 per month plus paper and ink.

QFT

This is one of the things that I resent about all this. I have to burn money on printer paper and ink, or buy a laptop to take full advantage of this [sarcasm]exciting new content[/sarcasm] at my gaming table.

If I'm going to use it, I want it in hard copy, in my hands.
QFT

This is one of the things that I resent about all this. I have to burn money on printer paper and ink, or buy a laptop to take full advantage of this [sarcasm]exciting new content[/sarcasm] at my gaming table.

If I'm going to use it, I want it in hard copy, in my hands.

You might as well get a laptop anyway, considering every time you buy a rulebook you will be getting a free pdf copy of it.
Personally, I am glad they did this to Dungeon and Dragon. Im a practical guy for the most part and those magazines just did not do much for me. My girlfriend bought me a subscription last year and most of the magazines have been relegated to bathroom material. I usually only utilize about 10% of any given magazine if that and for 7$ a magazine I was honestly hoping for a little bit more. The ideas are clever but not amazing, the art is very good but most of the time had images I didn't really care about and it always felt like they were catering to a particular crowd. If these magazines come with the bevy of tools and functionality for 9.95 a month, Im all in. I can finally justify in my mind paying that price for getting both a perpetually growing set of game tools and both of those magazines.
sorry never mind
Fifth - Will the content be worth it or am I throwing my money away on the latest bit of creative masturbation like a detailed stat-block of the 30th level pseudonatural half-wolverine half-succubus paladin and her half-umber hulk, half-unicorn holy mount?

Based on the two adventures announced for Dungeon, I will say worth it.

Even if I was dead set against buying the magazines again, I know I would have subscribed long enough to get "Hell's Heart." The revamp of Tsojanth should be a classic as well.

Will it be sustained? Only time will tell. Given that Paizo staff are working on this (James Jacobs is doing one of the first Dragon articles), I suspect it will.

Is paper vs. virtual an issue? Sure it is. That's an issue to be worried about. That doesn't change that $9.95 is a great value. It just might not be right for you.
Finally, the page is up. But I can't log into the Insider. When I fill the e-mail and start filling the password it switches e-mail to guest!
Logue's finale to the Saint-Demain trilogy will be available only a month after the second adventure's print in Dungeon 150?

SWEET.
Logue's finale to the Saint-Demain trilogy will be available only a month after the second adventure's print in Dungeon 150?

SWEET.

I know! For the twelve seconds the site was up yesterday, that caught my eye and gave me a chill of YES down my spine.
Yours, Dave the Brave
hardcopy facilitates game play. it's worked for hundreds of years. ever wonder why the old traditions are old? cuz' they were successful for so long. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

DI: how many gaming sessions have there been w/ no food and/or drink? laptops need to be immediately accessible, especially to DMs w/ this sort of "new design/way of gaming" and DMs are always more innudated w/books, minis, various texts, etc. possibility of mishap/confusion escalates.
now, consider (and this will happen) the errant d20, an excited gamer, startling revelation, etc., and the implications of cola and computers...

it's good to disseminate info, but in game, it's poor. we only keep the computers handy as peripheral away from the table if we need a ruling and can't find it in the source books or a quick throw away NPC, etc.

books, magazines, etc. you can take w/ you easilly enough, read on the bus/subway/plane, or collect. how does a piece of software appreciate btw?

the magazines provided jobs, firstly. they were immediately accessible, encourage more fresh blood (artists, writers, etc.), and didn't presume that everyone has a computer. i know, i'm writing on this now, but what if you can't afford one? if your system crashes? power outtages? viruses...omg, don't get me started there. all those ppl up/downloading. to many things can go wrong and ultimately, something will happen.
when their system crashes, all WotC customers suffer. if your mail provider or distributor gets fudged, just that area is affected and a grievance is made, back issues eventually sent.

too many things can go wrong. keep it simple in format, but make the rules as complex as you want. the rules don't hurt anyone and PCs/DMs can opt to use or not use them. it seems w/ 4th ed and the DI the opposite logic has been applied in an attempt to "stay modern and edgy" IMO. they simplify/dumb down the rules/format, but make accessing more complex.

as for DI's price, yeah, it's too high. Dragon's cover price was a bit high too, that's why i got a subscription. it's always way way cheaper. they're not moving as much as say Time or Newsweek, i mean, gamer culture is kind of a niche society. so, take that into account, but presuming on-line or nothing is an impractical gamble.

everyone gets mail or can go to a border's, comic store, etc. not everyone gets on-line and if they do, the risks outweigh the benefits for gaming. w/ computers, especially on-line games, everyday, a new patch, update, something and that's assuming you can even get on-line given the previously listed problems. there's no social interaction, no RP. i know they're saying it will "supplement" tabletop gaming, but there is way too much money being made by video games. they are getting their own unions for God's sake.
it is a massive change from traditional play and ppl will react strongly. Hasbro-WotC are just doing what most companies do in a crowded market and saying, "me too!"
Dragon and Dungeon as magazines simply paid the price for someone's ambition to reach a profit. that simple IMO.
When a man meets a force he cannot destroy he destroys himself instead. -Marlow, "30 Days of Night"
Just use the filled-in Guest userid and password. It works.
So this is it? This is why you killed Dragon and Dungeon magazine? For map and character generating software I won't use and the ability to print out magazine articles, rather than have the mailed.

I don't even know how to express my disapointment and loathing.:surrender
So this is it? This is why you killed Dragon and Dungeon magazine? For map and character generating software I won't use and the ability to print out magazine articles, rather than have the mailed.

I don't even know how to express my disapointment and loathing.:surrender

They killed it because WoTC wasn't getting enough money out of it. So they stole it, and probably going to start charging people for it.
They killed it because WoTC wasn't getting enough money out of it. So they stole it, and probably going to start charging people for it.

I think its included witht the D&D Insider package. Means they'll charge you for it.
I can still only log in as Guest and I see absolutely zero content.
The October issue's theme says it'll be Past, Present, and Future. Even with the Ecology of the Death Knight I hope they keep with tradition and include more horror themed articles!
Does anyone know if we can veiw the Oct. Dragon for free?

It will help me decide if the D&D Insider package is worth it.
Does anyone know if we can veiw the Oct. Dragon for free?

It will help me decide if the D&D Insider package is worth it.

Unless I'm mistaken they said it will be free until next summer. ?
I do have to thank wizards for announcing the online model for content in conjunction with the 4th edition announcement. It makes it so much easier for me to decide never to give them any of my money again.

I realize the online model works well for a game like MtG where decks change so quickly that printed magazines are out of date before they hit the stands. But D&D is a paper game, has been for over 30 years. 99% of what WotC sells in the D&D line is paper. Crazy, crazy.
Sign In to post comments