Scourge of the Sword Coast Weekend

7 posts / 0 new
Last post

Scourge of the Sword Coast Weekend

D&D Launch Events

By D&D Team

The next D&D Encounters season, Scourge of the Sword Coast, is almost here—and we're gearing up for its Launch Event Weekend!

Talk about this article here.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Help with launch weekend

So I got the adventure to run the Launch Weekend, but unlike the previous Sundering adventures, there is no clear break as to how far into the adventure the Launch weekend should go.  

Does anyone have any ideas?  From the look of things, the earliest point ot stop t he launch weekend would be once the players enter Draggerford.  But I'm only seeing about 3-4 possible encounters.  Not really enough to whet my players appettite for the adventure.

Looks like it starts with a potential fight then more of a roleplay event at the gate.

The rest is investigation with a number of people to talk to in town.

I think the plan is to get the party to commit to one of the three next steps so you can prepare for Wednesday.

no package has arrived from WOTC for the Launch weekend. I have bought the module but there's really nothing in there that jumps up and says start here. no gate maps, nothing. In the absence of a launch package I think I will need to cancel this.

The package was:

2 packs NPC face cards - most are in the adventure

20 dice

Player map pack 20 copies of the region map.

One single-sided poster map - half Daggerford and half of the region; a higher resolution version of the maps in the adventure pdf.

That's it.

Start with the beginning of the adventure and play until they decide which location to explore first after Daggerford. Or you run out of time.

I got the encounters package. Are you telling me there is nothing else for the launch weekend? No expanded encounter? No map? Nothing? 

The initial encounter has at most 30 minutes of activity for a slooow party. 

you try to get through the gate. The guards dont want to let you in. You bribe them.  Wow. 

Very weak.

honestly I did not think things could get worse after crystal shard. 

Wrong again.

Galahad67 wrote:

I got the encounters package. Are you telling me there is nothing else for the launch weekend? No expanded encounter? No map? Nothing? 

The initial encounter has at most 30 minutes of activity for a slooow party. 

you try to get through the gate. The guards dont want to let you in. You bribe them.  Wow. 

Very weak.

honestly I did not think things could get worse after crystal shard. 

Wrong again.

Yup, that looks to be about it.  I'm in a similar frame of mind.  The opening, unlike Baldur's Gate and Crystal Shard, doesn't have much in the way of drawing the party into the story.  There doesn't seem to be that desperate feeling of things going quickly out of hand.

With that said, what little more of the adventure seems more flexible.  Of course, I have yet to fully read the adventure.  I've been trying to get a grasp of the opening for the launch weekend first.

Maybe I'll throw in another encounter before they reach the gate to add some excitement.