Githyanki Confirmed NOT IN PH3!!! *How Sad!!!*

314 posts / 0 new
Last post
Psion Article released made a mention of Psion class being good for the Githyanki race due to the favoured stat of Intelligence (Githyanki are Int/Con). This confirms Githyanki as a Player Race in PH3!!!

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

As is the Githzerai. According to the article, they are coming next month.
Can't say either of these surprises me.

So, racially, we know there's the two Giths and the Wilden ...
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Two giths, the wilden, the minotaur, and probably something else.

I'm picking a small race - dark one, perhaps?
Um yeah, they are on the cover art that was released over a month ago. What I want to know, as was posted previous, what will be the "small" race?
Blackbyrnepublishing.com
I doubt there will be a small race.
Two giths, the wilden, the minotaur, and probably something else.

I'm picking a small race - dark one, perhaps?

Screw dark one.... goblin please!
I would just prefer the loss of the term 'small'
Gnollsgnollsgnollsplz.

Happy for the gith.

Minotaurs are meh.

Dunno what Wilden are.

Who knows what else?
Shaman: "Why doesn't the squirrel shoot the wizard?" DM: "Because the last squirrel who tried to shoot the wizard missed, then was pulled out of his tree and incinerated." Wizard: "He has a point."
Screw dark one.... goblin please!

Goblins would be cool. Or brownies.

Mmm, brownies...
I am still hoping for Thri-Keen or Elan (preferably Elan).
Gnollsgnollsgnollsplz.

Dunno what Wilden are.

Wilden are a sort of "plant people", first shown in a PH3 playtest.

As for Gnolls, since you seem excited about them, you know that a version was already released in Dragon Magazine, right? Granted, they haven't received much love since then, maybe they're due for an update.
Wildren are based off the Killorean from 3.5 Races of the Wild.

One race, ability to swap power/build/buff sort of thing during long rests.
Brew'N Games: A Homebrewing Blog, Both Games and Beer. "The Sky is Falling Like a Sock of Cocaine in the Ministry of Information..." - Man Man, Black Mission Goggles
Wildren are based off the Killorean from 3.5 Races of the Wild.

One race, ability to swap power/build/buff sort of thing during long rests.

How similar are they to Killoren? I was under the impression that the Wilden killed them and took their stuff.
Psion Article released made a mention of Psion class being good for the Githyanki race due to the favoured stat of Intelligence (Githyanki are Int/Con). This confirms Githyanki as a Player Race in PH3!!!

Reading the reference to Githyanki I don't think this is a confirmation of them as a PC race. They have a MM writeup which has the +Int that is mentioned. The Githzerai is confirmed but the Githyanki is no more a confirmation of a PC writeup (in PH3 or Dragon) than is the mention of thri-kreen in the EPG.
I doubt there will be a small race.

I hope there won't be a small race. Just like the Psion destroys all preconceptions of how a class must function, I hope PHB3 destroys the preconception that every PHB has to have a small race.

Wilden are a sort of "plant people", first shown in a PH3 playtest.

As for Gnolls, since you seem excited about them, you know that a version was already released in Dragon Magazine, right? Granted, they haven't received much love since then, maybe they're due for an update.

I half expect the Gnoll to get the same treatment as the Minotaur. The Gnolls aren't as bad as the Minotaur about being all classes friendly, but they do need help. Plus the Gnoll mechanics were tacked on to the article, hence the lack of PPs or EDs.

Reading the reference to Githyanki I don't think this is a confirmation of them as a PC race. They have a MM writeup which has the +Int that is mentioned. The Githzerai is confirmed but the Githyanki is no more a confirmation of a PC writeup (in PH3 or Dragon) than is the mention of thri-kreen in the EPG.

No, it pretty much is a confirmation. There is no way they'd mention the Yanki as an option alongside other PC races, if they weren't going to be a PC race too.
How similar are they to Killoren? I was under the impression that the Wilden killed them and took their stuff.

The Wilden are the same as the Killoren as much as the Goliath are the same as the Goliath. Just a new name, because somehow Wilden is less silly than Killoren , and with a focus on opposing the Far Realms instead of generic despoilers of nature.
The Wilden are the same as the Killoren as much as the Goliath are the same as the Goliath. Just a new name, because somehow Wilden is less silly than Killoren , and with a focus on opposing the Far Realms instead of generic despoilers of nature.

Hmm, for some reason I thought that Killoren were more humanoid, while Wilden look like sentient leaf-bugs.

Killoren is a bad name, but you're right, Wilden is too. It's flat, and it sounds way too much like other names already in the game. "I'm a Wilden Warden! And my friend here is Willy the Wilden Wilder!" (Okay, so there's no Wilders in 4E yet, but that doesn't mean their won't be.) Even "Wildkin" would have been better. Or "Wildfolk". Or even ditching the "wild" part altogether, in favour of something more reminiscent of plants. "Oakfolk", perhaps?

I don't mind these irregular plurals, but I think 4E's got enough of them now. It's time to name something normally.

I vote "Leafers".
Hmm, for some reason I thought that Killoren were more humanoid, while Wilden look like sentient leaf-bugs.

I think the Killoren were more elf/human-ish looking, but still green and leafy. The CB update has portraits showing art more finished than the original article, and they look ... brown and pointy.
I think the Killoren were more elf/human-ish looking, but still green and leafy. The CB update has portraits showing art more finished than the original article, and they look ... brown and pointy.

Would you say "leaf-bug-y"?
Would you say "leaf-bug-y"?

Eh, maybe.
No, it pretty much is a confirmation. There is no way they'd mention the Yanki as an option alongside other PC races, if they weren't going to be a PC race too.

While it indicates it MAY end up with a PC writeup its no guarantee. Also even if it does get a PC writeup it may be in Dragon and not in PH3. My point was that until they say 'there is a githyanki writeup in source X' then it's not a confirmation. It's just a possible indication.
Even "Wildkin" would have been better. Or "Wildfolk". Or even ditching the "wild" part altogether, in favour of something more reminiscent of plants. "Oakfolk", perhaps?

No, no, no. We don't need any more "-folk" or "-lings" in D&D. Thematically, they were kinda cool, but..."Yakfolk?" No more. This dumb naming style must end.
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.
I hope there won't be a small race. Just like the Psion destroys all preconceptions of how a class must function, I hope PHB3 destroys the preconception that every PHB has to have a small race.

But not having a small race JUST to break a preconception is just as bad as putting them in there just to have a small race to fill out the roster.

I think putting goblins in there would be good, especially with their role in Eberron. Why NOT have them?
"god! this is the 21st century, where is my "Choke someone through the internet" button?" - Herrozerro
No, no, no. We don't need any more "-folk" or "-lings" in D&D. Thematically, they were kinda cool, but..."Yakfolk?" No more. This dumb naming style must end.

Good point, but at least there aren't many other "-folk" among 4E PC races.

Anyway, I already voted for "Leafers". It's tongue-in-cheek!
I see no evidence of their being a Githyanki PC race, just Githzerai.

I'm willing to bet that the Githzerai Paragon Path is going to be the Zerth Cenobite, and if it isn't then it's Zerth-something-else.
But not having a small race JUST to break a preconception is just as bad as putting them in there just to have a small race to fill out the roster.

I think putting goblins in there would be good, especially with their role in Eberron. Why NOT have them?

While I have been relatively uninspired by the expected PHB 3 content so far, I would ABSOLUTELY buy this book if it has goblins and/or kobolds in it. I love goblins!

Killoren is a bad name, but you're right, Wilden is too. It's flat, and it sounds way too much like other names already in the game. "I'm a Wilden Warden! And my friend here is Willy the Wilden Wilder!" (Okay, so there's no Wilders in 4E yet, but that doesn't mean their won't be.) Even "Wildkin" would have been better. Or "Wildfolk". Or even ditching the "wild" part altogether, in favour of something more reminiscent of plants. "Oakfolk", perhaps?

I don't mind these irregular plurals, but I think 4E's got enough of them now. It's time to name something normally.

I vote "Leafers".

I think Wilden are a very bland and wierd race altogether. I don't think I could ever include them in my campaign world. If Wizards wanted to make a plant race, I think it would've been cool to take some inspiration from Zelda's deku scrubs. I'd love to play one of those critters.
Reading the reference to Githyanki I don't think this is a confirmation of them as a PC race. They have a MM writeup which has the +Int that is mentioned.

Has any MM race ever been mentioned in a class without appearing as a playable race?
I for one am really glad to get even a hint that Githyanki will be showing up in the PHB3. I was afraid that since Githyanki are typically evil, they'd settle for just putting in the Githzerai... which would stink imo, Githyanki rule :D
Yeah, I think Githyanki are almost certain to be a player-race....

So, what we have so far for PH3 is

Shadow and psionic power sources
Monk and Psonicist
Githyanki, Wilden, Minotaur and Githzerai.
Hybrid Rules

Anything else?
Yeah, I think Githyanki are almost certain to be a player-race....

So, what we have so far for PH3 is

Shadow and psionic power sources
Monk and Psonicist
Githyanki, Wilden, Minotaur and Githzerai.
Hybrid Rules

Anything else?

No shadow source (although the Assassin is D&Di exclusive, and of the shadow source, so the shadow source will be appearing some time, unlike Ki).

The other two power sources are primal and divine, but I'm wondering if the 4/2/2 pattern might be broken and only one class appear for either divine or primal. Basically I think the non-psion classes are just re-sourced versions of the dead Ki classes they started before they realised it really wasn't going to work.
[Double Post]

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

I think there are plenty of archetypes to fill 2 new Divine and 2 new Primal Classes.

That said, I don't think the 4/2/2 pattern will change.

Also, I did think about the mention referring to MM Githyanki, or possibly Dragon, but they've never mentioned either before in an article based on a class. Essentially, a class article, a preview of PH3 no less, mentioned Githyanki. That doesn't prove that Githyanki are in the PH3, but it confirms them as a Player Race at the very least, and makes them highly likely to be present, especially with Githzerai present in the book.

So maybe I should have rephrased the title - First True Githyanki evidence for PH3 Player Race!!

The Githyanki are also mentioned in FRPG, Class section, in the Swordmage Overview, under Races. (pg. 25)
The other two power sources are primal and divine, but I'm wondering if the 4/2/2 pattern might be broken and only one class appear for either divine or primal.

Its possible. it could be WotC will simply screw us over and give us less classes. Or we could get 2 Psionic strikers. 1 using the power point system, the other not.
Its possible. it could be WotC will simply screw us over and give us less classes. Or we could get 2 Psionic strikers. 1 using the power point system, the other not.

Considering how many pages the hybrid rules will require, and that there will be X number of pages for the races, with an equal number for racial PPs, plus new EDs, and the feats ... yeah I'm not seeing how less than 8 classes is "screwing us over" when more potentially threatens their enforced page count.
yeah I'm not seeing how less than 8 classes is "screwing us over" when more potentially threatens their enforced page count.

I didn't say we should expect more than 8 classes. Although fair point. The Hybrid rules could take the slot of the 8th class we would hope for in a new PHB.

Which makes me wonder what will PHB4 have? Because if they decrease it in PHB3, they will have found a way to decrease the number of races and classes in each new PHB. In PHB2 it was racial paragon paths and character backgrounds. If you're right in PHB3 it will be Hybrid Classes. Or would we actually get more classes in PHB4?
Considering how many pages the hybrid rules will require, and that there will be X number of pages for the races, with an equal number for racial PPs, plus new EDs, and the feats ... yeah I'm not seeing how less than 8 classes is "screwing us over" when more potentially threatens their enforced page count.

Id rather have 8 classes than hybrid rules. The current multi classing is fine. Ill look at hybrid but right now if I run a game there is probaly a 90% chance Ill disallow hybrid characters. Reminds me too much of 3.5 days where people would take things only for mechanical benifit than for rp.

That said bring on the githyanki the more races we have to choose from the better.
I wonder how'll they'll find a good excuse about the Lich Queen killing every githyanki of lvl 15/16+... Unless they retcon that part, ofcourse.

The current queen, Vlaakith CLVII, is an undead wizard who has ruled her people for more than a thousand years. So paranoid is she, that when any githyanki achieves a certain level of power and skill, she summons them to her palace to consume their souls, thus preventing them from ever threatening her power. Most githyanki willingly present themselves out of blind loyalty and pride, whilst those who try to flee this fate are hunted down and dragged before her in shackles. These victims afterwards become some form of undead servant under her direct control.

Reminds me too much of 3.5 days where people would take things only for mechanical benifit than for rp.

Except that for the most part hybriding seems to be a week mechanical option. Also, there are some very strong RP reasons to hybrid, such as having a mixed background, trained simultaneously in aspects of multiple disciplines. The current multiclassing system works great for some one who starts as one class and then later trains as another, but works poorly for representing someone who was both from the start.
Also, there are some very strong RP reasons to hybrid, such as having a mixed background, trained simultaneously in aspects of multiple disciplines.

Which perfectly describes the Swordmage. Viewed one way, a Swordmage is simply a hybrid Fighter/Wizard using a different mechanic ;)