PHB3 Debut: The Psion

361 posts / 0 new
Last post
Am i missing something on the calender or is there no actual article for psion, only an update to the character builder? If this is the case, this is incredibly lame.
Eh, it reads to me as if there are several things happening on that Tuesday. The Psion will be debuted and the Compenium/CB will be updated....

And what would be the difference in having an article and just having a Compendium entry, anyways? They would be very, very similar to each other.
Id kinda like to print it out to use at the table. I have yet to figure out a way to print out things from teh compendium in a nice, readable way.
Still cant wait though its going to be amazing.
Is there a way to at least look at all the powers together for classes instead of looking them up one by one?
Open the compendium, search the class, then select the powers "tab." You can then sort by level, action, source, and alphabetically.
Open the compendium, search the class, then select the powers "tab." You can then sort by level, action, source, and alphabetically.

Im aware of that method of slogging through the options but I was hoping for something, ya know, easy to look at. Something printable.
Im aware of that method of slogging through the options but I was hoping for something, ya know, easy to look at. Something printable.

Alas, I doubt this feature will be readily available for two reasons:

First, programming a notable feature like ready printing of, say, all the 1st-level Wizards at-will powers, would take time and money. Time and money that Wizards of the Coast will prioritize in more important and popular tasks.

Second, such a programming feature goes against Wizards' current outlook which is "Digital distribution of our products burned us really badly because it was really piratable; we'll keep out D&DI stuff, which is hard to pirate, but we'll think about PDFs and whatnot later"

I highly doubt 'easy access for printing' will be available for a while
I don't see why they can't just put it in an article in Dragon. Its a pain in the ass trying to peruse an entire class through the compendium.
Last time I checked the article it's listed in the ToC of this month's Dragon
Last time I checked the article it's listed in the ToC of this month's Dragon

Yes it is listed in the ToC, but notice it is not in this months articles, but in with the update. It isn't an article. It wont appear as an article on the day it gets released(Jul 7th) because it will be available only as part of the update to the Compendium and Character Builder, as per a previous article mentioning such things back in may I believe.

You likely wont get access to this particular class before PHB3's debut if you aren't subscribed this month.
I'd like an article as well, largely because the CB doesn't work for me and I'd like to flick through the material like the book. I don't see how something like the Monk Playtest would be so out of the question.
IIRC, it will simply be updated into the CB, with a note in the mag somewhere. There was hue and cry about PHB3 content and paying for advertising and buying the same thing twice and all that. In response, one of the Powers What Are (I think WotC_Trevor) said something to the effect that there won't be significant article space dedicated to any of the PHB3 preview content.
Son of a *****.
Homebrew classes: Guerrilla, Airbender, Earthbender, Firebender, and Waterbender. (PHASE 2 BEGINS! Tell us how we could make these classes better. The Shadow power source done right.
Misread something, never mind
"Player's Handbook 3 Debut: The Psion
By Bruce R. Cordell
Featuring commentary from the staff that worked on the new psion class, this article supports the psion class debut in the D&D Character Builder and Compendium."

Yeah. Wonderful.

I'll just have to rip it from the compendium when it comes out, so its, you know, useful.
Homebrew classes: Guerrilla, Airbender, Earthbender, Firebender, and Waterbender. (PHASE 2 BEGINS! Tell us how we could make these classes better. The Shadow power source done right.
Wow. So no article? This is some bull. I guess ill be writing emails to WotC....
Wow. So no article? This is some bull. I guess ill be writing emails to WotC....

while i understand your point, when these PHB3 teaser previews were first announced there was a pretty big uproar that they would take up the precious Dragon space. So if they put in the magazine they will **** someone off, and if they don't put it in the magazine they will **** someone else off as well. I hope that they will at least have an article that is not the part of the magazine, but that might be just a pipe dream.
I have never seen a super nova go off, but if it is anything like a Chevy Nova it sure will light up the sky! IMAGE(http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af70/stranger_93/WorldofTanks.jpg)
I hope that they will at least have an article that is not the part of the magazine, but that might be just a pipe dream.

Sadly if they did that we would still get people complaining about it taking away Dragon pages....somehow.
while i understand your point, when these PHB3 teaser previews were first announced there was a pretty big uproar that they would take up the precious Dragon space. So if they put in the magazine they will **** someone off, and if they don't put it in the magazine they will **** someone else off as well. I hope that they will at least have an article that is not the part of the magazine, but that might be just a pipe dream.

:lightbulb

Use Bill Slavicsek's idea from the first Ampersand!
I always thought we should have a magazine called “&”. After all, it worked so well for Dungeon and Dragon that it just seemed to me that we were losing an opportunity to make use of the bit that brings it all together. So, until we figure out what to actually do with that recognizable little ampersand, I’m going to use it as the identifier for my regular feature here at D&D Insider.

End of the month, collect all the Insider articles that aren't part of Dungeon or Dragon and put them in their own "&" magazine. As long as they keep the page counts of Dungeon and Dragon up to whatever they promised, people should be fine with it. (They should be, but yeah, of course people will complain. It's what D&D's all about!)
While I understand both sides of the issue with it being updated directly to the Character Builder, I must remind you that you will also get to see it in the compendium(Again, provided you are subscribed this month or are on a continuous subscription previous). As long as you have access to the compendium through your subscription igniz(and others who are concerned about this) there really should be no problem. A quick FYI for those who would like to have a pdf/stylesheet of the debut class, you can copy and paste text from the Compendium into a word file for yourself to print it off....though it may not be as nicely formated as WotC's articles.
While I understand both sides of the issue with it being updated directly to the Character Builder, I must remind you that you will also get to see it in the compendium(Again, provided you are subscribed this month or are on a continuous subscription previous). As long as you have access to the compendium through your subscription igniz(and others who are concerned about this) there really should be no problem. A quick FYI for those who would like to have a pdf/stylesheet of the debut class, you can copy and paste text from the Compendium into a word file for yourself to print it off....though it may not be as nicely formated as WotC's articles.

You'd think we'd get that anyway. Because that's what we're sorta paying for.
You'd think we'd get that anyway. Because that's what we're sorta paying for.

I would fully agree if it was listed as an article with the 'DRA' preface to it. It isn't listed as an article though. This offering is something from what the WotC promised us to have access to through the subscription, materials that no one else can have access to without the subscription. It also wont be in the August update to either the CB or Compendium, so if you subscribed next month you will not get to look at the July debut offering.

What we are paying for is the ability to have access to Two magazines, the DDI Compendium+Updates, the Char Builder+updates, Bonus Tools: Monster generator, Encounter Builder and Ability score generator. As well as the future tools that are pending(which i, unlike so many others, have not given up on).

To bring this back toward the topic, the update is only 6 days away(not including today).
It also wont be in the August update to either the CB or Compendium, so if you subscribed next month you will not get to look at the July debut offering.

It won't be in the August update because it's part of the July update. I don't see any reason WotC is going to just remove it from the CB and Compendium come august.

Though maybe I'm just misinformed. If you have some source for these assumptions, please share.
The Dragon TOC says:

"Player's Handbook 3 Debut: The Psion
By Bruce R. Cordell
Featuring commentary from the staff that worked on the new psion class, this article supports the psion class debut in the D&D Character Builder and Compendium."

Which seems to be referring to an article, but in the past TOCs have been inaccurate so it's hard to say. There's also a Design & Development Column devoted to Psionics which is different from this entry in the TOC.
The real question is whether that article is going to be the class itself with commentary on teh side or just an article full of commentary on the compendium material.
The real question is whether that article is going to be the class itself with commentary on teh side or just an article full of commentary on the compendium material.

Why would this be a question. An earlier article stated that it would be the full class from the PHB3, the commentary is likely in addition to the full class.
Why would this be a question. An earlier article stated that it would be the full class from the PHB3, the commentary is likely in addition to the full class.

I missed that part where they said the article was going to be the full class. Saying the article "supports" the debut of the class in the compendium is incredibly vague.

We are getting the full class, but there has been no mention of getting it in pdf format or as part of Dragon.
We are getting the full class, but there has been no mention of getting it in pdf format or as part of Dragon.

Because it is very likely that we aren't going to get it in pdf format or as part of the dragon magazine.
I thought it was half a class, one build, 1-30 levels? Like the Barbarian, Bard and Monk. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the full class, but...

Bel
Originally Posted by WotC_RichBaker In related news, I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate your 3.5 rulebooks, and force you to convert to the new edition. Where do you live?
From a staff posting in another thread:

The Psion will be discussed in Dragon but there will not be a full PDF of the Psion.

If you want to read the giant list you can go to the MANAGE - Campaign Settings tab of the character builder and just click through the PH3 content.

It is actually a great way to see what is new each month.

As far as feats go, not much this month, no multiclass psion.

Well, I guess that's helpful and harmful all at once. Ah well. I just want to see the class.
Great WotC, i cant use the character builder. Just give me a damn PDF.
And what would be the difference in having an article and just having a Compendium entry, anyways? They would be very, very similar to each other.

If the Compendium has the same system requirements as the Character Builder, then it makes a BIG difference to those of us with Macs...
If the Compendium has the same system requirements as the Character Builder, then it makes a BIG difference to those of us with Macs...

To the best of my knowledge the Compendium has the same requirement as the rest of the WotC websight. Any Java capable browser should do the trick even if your system can't run the CB.
To the best of my knowledge the Compendium has the same requirement as the rest of the WotC websight. Any Java capable browser should do the trick even if your system can't run the CB.

That is right. I use the compendium quite often on the Safari on my iPod Touch, so I am certain any Mac User should have no problem at all with it.

Ryuna
That is right. I use the compendium quite often on the Safari on my iPod Touch, so I am certain any Mac User should have no problem at all with it.

Ryuna

Hmmm...it might be worth splurging on a 1 month subscription if that's the case!
Hmmm...it might be worth splurging on a 1 month subscription if that's the case!

So you can look at it for a month and not get a printable version??
So you can look at it for a month and not get a printable version??

I mentioned this before, you can copy&paste into a word file and print it off for yourself right from the Compendium. Additionally the compendium does have the option to print the formated class/power/feats after you've clicked on them to see the full text of the Class/power/feat etc.
Is this not part of the "WOTC will pre-release completed parts of the PHB3 on DND Insider before it is actually in print over the next few months" announcement. I know I read this maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago, but am not %100 sure where I had read this. Or was it a pizza dream? :embarrass

Let me just add I am geeked to see what they give this class. I also can not wait to see how it will mesh with the Kalashtar race from Eberron.