2010's Setting

142 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a proposal:

Instead of updating an old Campaign Setting to 4E, why not WOTC instead design a brand-new setting that's tailor-made for 4E*? That way, we don't have hordes of fans screaming "they broke it forever!" and other such nonsense.

* Well, other than Points of Light, which really isn't a setting so much as it is a campaign theme.
A nice idea, but then practicality comes into play. They have easily a dozen worlds to choose form and update at much lower in-house cost than a new setting. Dragonlance (my bet for 2011), Athas/DarkSun (my guess for 2010), Mystara/Hollow World, Al-Qadim, Birthright, Blackmoor (although probably no longer owned), Greyhawk (I hope they never touch this), Jakandor, Kara-Tur, Mahasarpa, Maztica, Rokugan, Savage Coast, and even Planescape and Spelljammer.

With all that they already own, and can easily update / convert / re-publish whole cloth, it would probably not make sense to start anew.

I would, however, not mind a brand new world.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
It took a along time for Eberron to come together from the time of the submissions of the setting search to full blown setting. If they have a new setting in the works, and I'd say they do, it has to already be in the works.
Aesop had it right 2,500 years ago, "By endeavoring to please everyone, he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain".
Ive been asking for this. Would love to see this especially with the speculation that the next setting is DL. Id love to see every setting published in 4e be something new and unique unfortunatley too many gamers are attached to a sense of nostalgia and want the same tired worn out crap all the time, hence the complaints on when they changed forgotten realms for the better.
I have a proposal:

Instead of updating an old Campaign Setting to 4E, why not WOTC instead design a brand-new setting that's tailor-made for 4E*? That way, we don't have hordes of fans screaming "they broke it forever!" and other such nonsense.

* Well, other than Points of Light, which really isn't a setting so much as it is a campaign theme.

I think this is a good suggestion, but it will be too late for the 2010 setting, if that isn't already well into development there is something very very wrong.
If you have any 4E conceptual issues or rules that you would like help with feel free to PM me. Roleplaying since 88! Guide To Dealing With Problematic Posters
It seems likely that DL is the 2010 setting. As for getting something new, I'd like that too. My current interest however is getting something that is thematically different. There is nothing wrong with the generic fantasty of FR, DL, or Greyhawk; but I would prefer to revisit the gothic horror of Ravenloft or the interstellar adventures of Spelljammer. Something that is not generic fantasy.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

I'd like to see an entirely new, taylor made setting.

I prefer to play some settings with a specific ruleset, such as Spelljammer (with 2nd edition) or the Known World (with Basic). Updating these worlds to the new game wouldn't interest me, not as much as a new world might at least. I first realized this back when the Known World was updated (as Mystara) to 2nd edition AD&D.

Warning! Pointless Speculation Ahead
I think there are only a few settings with a wide enough appeal to update to the new game: Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Greyhawk (all in no particular order). They may release Ravenloft, Planescape, Spelljammer but I'd guess it will farther down the line. I'd love to see Al-Qadim but don't see it happening.

No disrespect to fans of any particular settings, just harmless speculation on my part (relax ;)). I'd guess, three more years of re-launches (at least) before they'll be ready to release an entirely new D&D setting.
/\ Art
Somewhere there was a vague confirmation that the 2010 setting would be "familiar". I would expect Dark Sun, but there's plenty of "evidence" that supports Dragonlance as the 2010 setting. (see the Future Releases board for some discussion on that)

That said, I hope we get a new setting in 2011. Specifically, I want to see Rich Burlew's setting that came in 2nd place to Eberron.
A brand-new setting is so much more work than an update that I doubt we'll see one before 2015. My guesses for upcoming settings are:

2010 - Greyhawk
2011 - Dragonlance
2012 - Dark Sun
2013 - Ravenloft
2014 - Spelljammer

However, that's just an off-the-top-of-my-head guess, and I doubt even WotC has any firm plans that far in advance.

As for what kind of new setting, there's a type of setting that I've seen a couple times in video game RPGs, but never in a Traditional RPG. If any of you have played Skies of Arcadia or Baten Kaitos, you'll know what I'm talking about. The floating islands and flying boats, where far below is the mysterious abyss, and a mythical "ocean" that no one can reach.

Standard Answer to all 5E rules questions: "Ask your DM."

A dream setting for me would be something like Bas-Lag and specifically New Crozubon. Especially since I think "New Weird" has been fairly popular in fantasy for more then a few years. It is also quite different then most D&D settings.
I do think Dark Sun and Dragonlance will be the next two released (i am hoping in that order) - last year all hints seemed to be Dark Sun, this years hints seem to be saying more Dragonlance though..
If you have any 4E conceptual issues or rules that you would like help with feel free to PM me. Roleplaying since 88! Guide To Dealing With Problematic Posters
A brand-new setting is so much more work than an update that I doubt we'll see one before 2015. My guesses for upcoming settings are:

2014 - Spelljammer

See I'm gonna have to vote against Spelljammer. The last thing D&D currently needs is the return of "Giant Space X" monsters.

A dream setting for me would be something like Bas-Lag and specifically New Crozubon. Especially since I think "New Weird" has been fairly popular in fantasy for more then a few years. It is also quite different then most D&D settings.

Hell yes.

Heck, Bas Lag already has warforged. And it can easily accommodate virtually any race you could possibly throw at it.

I wonder if China Melville would go for that.
I wonder if the recent event "So you think you can DRAGONLANCE" is a hint for next year's released setting.

But the fact that the psionic power source is part of the PHB3 also gives a hint toward Dark Sun.

For my part I would prefer Dragonlance first. I am a DM for Forgotten Realms, I have a DM for Eberron and I would have a DM for Dragonlance. If Dark Sun would be released first I would be a DM for two settings. Not a big deal though, I love to be a DM.

I hope we will have the answer soon for the 2010 setting so that we can at last end speculations ;)

As nice or interesting as that is, I doubt we'll see anything like that beyond an article in Dragon or Dungeon, as was already done for China Melville's stuff in Dragon #352 before they went pdf only. With a little work you could probably adapt the article to 4E.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. --George Orwell

There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people. --Howard Zinn

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster. --Friedrich Nietzsche

Devil\'s Brigade

I wonder if the recent event "So you think you can DRAGONLANCE" is a hint for next year's released setting.

But the fact that the psionic power source is part of the PHB3 also gives a hint toward Dark Sun.

For my part I would prefer Dragonlance first. I am a DM for Forgotten Realms, I have a DM for Eberron and I would have a DM for Dragonlance. If Dark Sun would be released first I would be a DM for two settings. Not a big deal though, I love to be a DM.

I hope we will have the answer soon for the 2010 setting so that we can at last end speculations ;)

Actually, the "So you think you can DRAGONLANCE" contest looks like it has more to do with the Dragons of the Hourglass Mage book release than it does to do with the next 4th Edition campaign.

That said, my guess is on Dark sun for one major reason: they seem to be going for a different subgenre of fantasy with each release. Forgotten Realms covers high fantasy, Eberron covers magepunk/pulp fantasy, and Dark Sun would be a post-apocalyptic setting. I don't think they're going to release another high fantasy setting a-la Greyhawk or Dragonlance so soon.
Waiting for this thread to be moved into Future Releases in 3...2..
Yeah I can't imagine a actual Bas-Lag campaign setting getting done for 4e (especially since Adamant Entertainment is making a RPG for it (I dunno what system)). But I would still like to see them make a new setting in that style. All the bizarre races, politics, science, the city landscape, just the general weirdness, etc. As well as just generally supporting and focusing on "New Weird".

Though the focus on bizarre races and science are the two big ones more me. I have always disliked that sort of, "if it doesn't like 90% human you should kill it" feel. Plus I never understood why science is simply non-existent in fantasy. Hell in my current campaign setting, it deals with parallel realities and a being who can warp the universe by changing the resonance frequency of Strings (String Theory) to create its "music". Not to mention most magic and other supernatural forces are built around the manipulation of scientific principles. With Pseudoscience mixed in for the fun as well. As well as general science like firearms, trains, industrial revolution and all that.
While I would adore seeing a whole new setting (especially for the mystery of just what they would do with it to not be too much of a clone of one of the existing settings) I do have to say that their current system of only having one each of a campaign guide, players guide, and a single adventure modual would make it really hard to imagine that an entirely new setting would get remotely the support it needs in those three little books to make it a real setting. Yes I admit that they should add additional support through Dungeon and Dragon but that might actually just split the community more as those who don't like the new setting complain about it taking up space that could be used to support their own favorites. Granted, this might happen anyways as more settings are added and those of us who were used to having lots of printed suppliments per setting begin pining for the days when there were more suppliments out there.
Much as I love Planescape, Ravenloft and Spelljammer, it seems that these are in large part being folded in to the basic game. Manual of the Planes already includes rules for spelljammers and discusses ideas found in Planescape, and WotC appears to be addressing the Domains of Dread piecemeal in its Dragon articles, as discrete pockets of the Shadowfell.

I'd imagine either Dark Sun or Dragonlance will be the next major setting release. Personally, I hope it's Dark Sun (but only if they can bring back Brom for the artwork). It would be a welcome change of pace from the standard fantasy of Points of Light/Forgotten Realms (and to a lesser extent Eberron).

I'd kill to see Al-Qadim updated, but as was pointed out to me, in this day and age it might not behoove WotC to publish a game whose name is uncomfortably close to Al-Qaeda.
I never understood why science is simply non-existent in fantasy.

It is not non-existent. It is simply called magic.
Fireball? It's bat guano (ammonia-based fertilizer) and a spark.

As for scientific research in a fantasy setting... the alchemist and the chemist, the astronomer and the astrologer. Two sides of each coin. But when alchemy and astrology have real power, the need for the chemist and the astronomer are diminished. The effectiveness of the former precludes the need for the latter. Who would anyone try to create a mechanical vacuum cleaner when you can have an unseen servant? Who needs a lightbulb when you have continual flame? Why invent the telephone when you have message? We don't need jet airplanes when we have elemental airships.
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
It is not non-existent. It is simply called magic.
Fireball? It's bat guano (ammonia-based fertilizer) and a spark.

As for scientific research in a fantasy setting... the alchemist and the chemist, the astronomer and the astrologer. Two sides of each coin. But when alchemy and astrology have real power, the need for the chemist and the astronomer are diminished. The effectiveness of the former precludes the need for the latter. Who would anyone try to create a mechanical vacuum cleaner when you can have an unseen servant? Who needs a lightbulb when you have continual flame? Why invent the telephone when you have message? We don't need jet airplanes when we have elemental airships.

I'm actually inclined to believe that technical progress would continue, it would just use magic instead of tech. The interwebs would be filled with 1's and 0's spoken in magic messages from our mystic thinky boxes (which is pretty much how everyone I know over 60 sees a computer anyway).

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

I'm actually inclined to believe that technical progress would continue, it would just use magic instead of tech. The interwebs would be filled with 1's and 0's spoken in magic messages from our mystic thinky boxes (which is pretty much how everyone I know over 60 sees a computer anyway).

And that's how we got Eberron... filled with trains, robots, banking systems, and all sorts of other things which are analogous to a more modern culture.
I personally am of the mind that the fields of magic and the fields of science are equally important and simply work back and forth from one another. To know how magic effects the world you need to know science. To know how the natural world reacts to all outside phenomenon you need to know magic. As such each would equally progress alongside the other.

A conjuration spell to be refined and perfected you need to know how to properly change the resonance frequency of strings to cause it to be warped (for lack of a better term) into reality. To understand fully how gravity works you need to understand how levitation spells effect it and so forth.

As such as magic progresses and becomes most likely more refined. So does technology and science. So I see no reason why technology wise it would simply stop at the medieval (why even the medieval too if magic stops technological and scientific progress why medieval and not before or after). So Industrial Revolution, Atomic Age, etc. could all happen alongside magic. Sure magic will have a impact but also vice-versa. Constructs for instance may be built using hydraulics and pistons but brought to life with a spell, to give another example.

Plus I think it just makes for a interesting setting.
Plus I think it just makes for a interesting setting.

Monte Cook's Ptolus featured magic, magitech/chaositech, and true technology in varying measures. It's a great setting. One day I might have the impetus to try a 4E game in that setting.

What happened to my post count? It seems the more I post, the more it drops. Is that how it's supposed to work?

My bet is on Dragonlance 2010 (all of the current hype seems to be pointing that way) and Dark Sun 2011 (20th Anniversary, all the psionic splatbooks will be out, they can have the Thri-Kreen on the cover of PHB4 with Elemental Power Source inside), and hopefully WotC will be working on an entirely new setting during those years, so in 2012 we can have something totally new.

BTW, Dragonlance had a handle on the post-apocalyptic world long before Dark Sun, look at the Cataclysm (the friggin' planet was hit by a meteor for god's sake), and then the Second Cataclysm (Fiery God Giant rampaging across the countryside).
My bet is on Dragonlance 2010 (all of the current hype seems to be pointing that way) and Dark Sun 2011 (20th Anniversary, all the psionic splatbooks will be out, they can have the Thri-Kreen on the cover of PHB4 with Elemental Power Source inside), and hopefully WotC will be working on an entirely new setting during those years, so in 2012 we can have something totally new.

BTW, Dragonlance had a handle on the post-apocalyptic world long before Dark Sun, look at the Cataclysm (the friggin' planet was hit by a meteor for god's sake), and then the Second Cataclysm (Fiery God Giant rampaging across the countryside).

Post-apocalyptic isn't actually a genre simply based on the concept of a world after apocalypse. The post-apocalyptic genre is based on the concept of a world where civilization has largely ended. Remaining civilizations (if you can call them that) are generally dystopic, and survivalism is key to the inherent themes. It's not simply about time periods after an apocalypse... otherwise virtually every setting counts as post-apocalyptic.
I have a proposal:

Well, its either "WotC hates us! They won't reprint because it's not hip enough for the WoW crowd, even though it would make them a million dollars! Guess WotC is stupid!" or "WotC hates us! They ruined by making it hip and appealing to the WoW crowd. They're going to lose a million dollars, man they're stupid!"

You can't please everyone, but you can at least try and get their money. Posts on this thread are proof enough that people see what they want to see, even with overwhelming evidence and logical deduction working against them.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Well, its either "WotC hates us! They won't reprint because it's not hip enough for the WoW crowd, even though it would make them a million dollars! Guess WotC is stupid!" or "WotC hates us! They ruined by making it hip and appealing to the WoW crowd. They're going to lose a million dollars, man they're stupid!"

You can't please everyone, but you can at least try and get their money. Posts on this thread are proof enough that people see what they want to see, even with overwhelming evidence and logical deduction working against them.

I dont know what you mean by logic to me new eddition logic says you should get a new setting. That would be the most logical thing. The people who are fans of the old people can still play in those old settings.
I would rather see old settings with a new spin.
I would rather see old settings with a new spin.

Depends on the old setting only Al-Qadim, Spell Jammer, Plane Scape, and Darksun apeal to me. Nothing they do can make grey hawk and dl interesting nothing, and I dont know enough about any of the other old settings to say one way or the other. Id rather see new settings as Ebaron is the single most interesting dnd setting to date. Id love to see what the current design team can do when given free reign. I mean they actually made Forgotten realms worth playing in, so id love to see what they come out with for truly new material.
I'd like to see a science power source.

So long as it gets access to giant robots, I'm game.

Personally I would like to see "Themes". They wouldn't be like a Power Source where you have a specific Classes and such. Rather it be more open. With stuff like:
  • Floating Powers
  • New Class Features
  • Feat Trees
  • Paragon Paths
  • Epic Destinies
  • Perhaps Special Items
  • Perhaps Multiclass-Only Classes (like Spellscarred)

I would prefer that for things like Science/Technology and such. Since in a setting where science is commonly practised or its benefits commonly used I think it would serve a better purpose in this manner. Like a Ranger should be able to have firearm-oriented Powers, and such. So you can take the base-classes and remodel them for Science/Technology and other Themes.

Classes:

striker: Gunner. Melee striker uses an offhand pistol(impliment) with a main hand weapon. Dex main.

coltroler: Saboteur. Uses bombs, tanglefoot bags etc.

Leader: Tinker- redo artifcer

Defender: Tank- Encases himself in a mechanical suit, counts as medium for wielding weapons. Int main cha secondary (just so gnomes would be best)
Anyone ever see the Scientist Advanced Class (maybe it was a Prestige Class) from D20 Past? The concept makes me think you could have something built like the artificer to work in a science theme.
I have a proposal:

"Hey, we're opening a new McDonalds. Do you think we should place primary importance on selling Big Macs, or fries?"
"What? No, neither. We're going to sell this new burger; I call it the McPasta. We'll stock Big Macs next year."

As much as a new original setting might kick ass, it also might not. There's just no business sense in risking something new when you have an existing product that has an equal chance of capturing new fans, plus a built-in audience that already want it whether or not it sucks.

There's really no point in a new setting until you've sold the Dragonlance and Darksun people as many Dragonlance and Darksun books as they're willing to buy; and even then, you've got to look hard at the idea of rebooting the setting in a new edition and selling them the same books agian.
A nice idea, but then practicality comes into play. They have easily a dozen worlds to choose form and update at much lower in-house cost than a new setting. Dragonlance (my bet for 2011), Athas/DarkSun (my guess for 2010), Mystara/Hollow World, Al-Qadim, Birthright, Blackmoor (although probably no longer owned), Greyhawk (I hope they never touch this), Jakandor, Kara-Tur, Mahasarpa, Maztica, Rokugan, Savage Coast, and even Planescape and Spelljammer.

With all that they already own, and can easily update / convert / re-publish whole cloth, it would probably not make sense to start anew.

I would, however, not mind a brand new world.

What the hell are Jakandor, Mahasarpa, and Maztica?
"Hey, we're opening a new McDonalds. Do you think we should place primary importance on selling Big Macs, or fries?"
"What? No, neither. We're going to sell this new burger; I call it the McPasta. We'll stock Big Macs next year."

As much as a new original setting might kick ass, it also might not. There's just no business sense in risking something new when you have an existing product that has an equal chance of capturing new fans, plus a built-in audience that already want it whether or not it sucks.

There's really no point in a new setting until you've sold the Dragonlance and Darksun people as many Dragonlance and Darksun books as they're willing to buy; and even then, you've got to look hard at the idea of rebooting the setting in a new edition and selling them the same books agian.

Some of us though would rather spend money on something new and thats my point. The 4e desingers are really good and Id love to see them make their own setting. Id be more likely to spend money on a new setting than an old one rehashed.
I guess this whole Internet thing is still a mystery to some people. Try this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_&_Dragons_campaign_settings
I do think Dark Sun and Dragonlance will be the next two released (i am hoping in that order) - last year all hints seemed to be Dark Sun, this years hints seem to be saying more Dragonlance though..

However, as was pointed out in the Future Release forum, thri-kreen and half-giants are specifically mentioned in the Eberron Player's Guide, whereas more DL-centric races, such as sea elves, etc, were not. Considering the FRPG, and how EVERY single race mentioned took less than a year to come out, that is a pretty big convincing of evidence for DS over DL. I'd say it is the biggest piece of actual evidence presented thus far.
What the hell are Jakandor, Mahasarpa, and Maztica?

Jakandor
Mahasarpa
Maztica
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
Sign In to post comments