CONFIRMED: phb3 psionic, divine and primal heroes

351 posts / 0 new
Last post
where's my shadow heroes dangit!?!?!?
Don't forget - Minotaurs and Gith!
that too.

but I wish they were shadow minotaurs and shadow gith.
Im glad theyr treating Psi as a normal power source intermixed with all the other sources.
I just spent the last few minutes trying to come up with what they could possibly do for more primal classes.... I came up with guy who burrows, guy who plants things, and hippie. ....... and professional landscaper.
This is a little scary; I'm not really sure what to think anymore about what can be in a PH.

I wonder if those Divine and Primal classes are the ex-Ki classes?
I just spent the last few minutes trying to come up with what they could possibly do for more primal classes.... I came up with guy who burrows, guy who plants things, and hippie. ....... and professional landscaper.

Ancestral Worshipper, Witch, Totemist (is really wardenlike i know), Plant-guy,
McNancy: I wonder if those Divine and Primal classes are the ex-Ki classes?

Good guess. Wu Jen could easily be Primal. The Dao elements (Earth, Metal, Water, Fire, and especially Wood) work well as Primal (Druid-like) flavor.

The Elemental source is still in the works, but I cant really tell the difference between Primal and Elemental. I suspect the D&D Elemental source will cover the official elements that comprise the Elemental Chaos: Air and Lightning - as well as Fire, Earth, and Water. (Compare the Genasi.) But notice, the Druid is Primal yet also masters storm effects. In other words, the Primal source enjoys mastery over the elements of Air and Lightning, as well, thus already covers all of the elements.

In any case, Wu Jen may well be a formerly-Ki class that is better understood as Primal.
I'm going to say the minotaur is divine, because a.) he's wearing armor made of metal and thus not primal and b.) his weapon looks like it's powered by magic runes, a little more divine than psionic

maybe the divine they are adding will be more shadowy.....

but then again I could just be wrong
I am hoping that the new Primal classes really amp up the idea of using Spirit instead of Nature. It be great to have it not just be natural spirits, but take on a Shinto-feel and have them in everything. Just imagine a urban Primal character who has the entire spirit of the city at their beck and call.

For Divine, I would like to see them going beyond just ordinary God-worship. Lets see weird cults who worship a living being, worship of strange beings (Aberrations, a God-Machine, etc.).

As for Psionics well I am still hoping for my pseudoscience (hopefully will see some in these monthly previews. Also hopefully see the Elan too).
I wonder if those Divine and Primal classes are the ex-Ki classes?

Certainly a workable hypothesis, though I hope this doesn't mean that we're about to see PH3 is going to look too much like Oriental Adventures minus the Orient.

I'm also thinking ... Soulknife, for me, is very Striker ... so maybe we'll be seeing 5 Psi classes?
I wonder if the Divine and Primal classes may cover a few of their defunct Ki classes or maybe even shadow. I can easily see a Necromancer-like class being Divine (raises dead, perhaps unwillingly) or Primal (controller of dead spirits). I wonder if the Minotaur is a blackguard or a similar dark anti-paladin like class.
All speculation at this point.
For Divine, I would like to see them going beyond just ordinary God-worship. Lets see weird cults who worship a living being, worship of strange beings (Aberrations, a God-Machine, etc.).

Isn't that more of a Fluff thing than it is important for mechanics ?
Isn't that more of a Fluff thing than it is important for mechanics ?

Mainly but it can influence mechanics, like Aberrations could mean mutations and such. Cults could mean sacrifice things, so draining HP, etc.
I hope, Divine introduces transcendental (non-polytheistic) flavor, that ignores the gods, and focuses on the healing light (radiant energy), the idealism of the Astral Sea, and the philosophy of positivity.
Where has it been confirmed that the PH3 will be psionic, divine and primal classes?
The enemy wasn't men, or women, or the old, or even the dead. It was just bleedin' stupid people, who came in all varieties. And no one had the right to be stupid. - Terry Pratchett Doraleous & Associates : I'll let it speak for itself johnkretzer gave me a . It was chocolate chip and very sweet. Silversword also gave me a . That one was peanut butter!
Where has it been confirmed that the PH3 will be psionic, divine and primal classes?

On the cover of the book...

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/news_20090519.jpg)
CORE MORE, NOT CORE BORE!
Ah, thanks.
The enemy wasn't men, or women, or the old, or even the dead. It was just bleedin' stupid people, who came in all varieties. And no one had the right to be stupid. - Terry Pratchett Doraleous & Associates : I'll let it speak for itself johnkretzer gave me a . It was chocolate chip and very sweet. Silversword also gave me a . That one was peanut butter!
Hmm... After looking at the Minotaur again, perhaps we may have glyph/sigil based magic in PHB3. There are some on his mace and also on his gauntlet. Yes not much to go by but could be something. It could be Divine using the symbols of some entity you revere to gain power.
I hope, Divine introduces transcendental (non-polytheistic) flavor, that ignores the gods, and focuses on the healing light (radiant energy), the idealism of the Astral Sea, and the philosophy of positivity.

Agreed, twice over.
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.
Sigil Beguiler: As for Psionics well I am still hoping for my pseudoscience.

I love Psionic! But personally, I dont really want Pseudoscience or New Age in the D&D setting.

Nevertheless, for players who like the technobabble names, I could probably live with an appendix at the back of the PH3 that gave 'scientific names' for Psi powers. For example,

[INDENT]Antimagic field (Catapsi)[/INDENT]

The 'common name' for a Psionic power would be something like, 'Antimagic Field', but the scientific name would be something like Catapsi. In game, these alternate scientific names could represent some scholastic tradition of a certain community of Psi scholars.

Similarly, I strongly dont want 'crystal-mania' to define Psi flavor. But it is ok to have the occasional Psionic crystal magic item, for the players who like this flavor.

Regarding the Elan race ... they rock!
Yeah my D&D settings are always a mix of genres. Your likely to have Pseudoscience Psionics (and Aether Ships) alongside radioactive mutated creatures, God-Machines, Steam/Cyber/Dieselpunk and Magitech, etc, etc, etc. I can't say I have ever made a setting that be considered "traditional" :P

I am hoping a mix, some classes for those who don't like Pseudoscience some for those who do. Also, Hell Yes! The Elan rock, they better be in PHB3 or heads will roll. But... Heading off-topic.

I am thinking though, with confirmation of the Giths and Primal in PHB3. That the previews we got so far have excluded stuff, I can't see the Monk or Wilden article not mentioning Gith and new Primal classes.
Not to say I told ya so, but I told ya so.

I had said it will be 4 new / 2 primal / 2 other since PHB2 came out. We all assumed the new would be Ki but Ki is dead and we now know its Psionic.
This is starting to hurt my head; this PH may not be too different from the PH2, 4 form new PS and 4 from old PS, which may be the format for PHs, but that would mean only one source per year and that 4E is going to have a metric butt-ton of races and classes.

If this keeps up we'll have over 40 classes when Elemental Power hits.

And I can't seem to figure out if thats a good thing or a bad thing.
Hmm. Primal and divine again? I can't say I expected that.

Here are three guesses though:

1. We'll see a primal class called, "geomancer."

2. The necromancer got re-fluffed as a divine class.

3. There will be a divine defender called, "the crusader." It will be a replacement for the paladin just like the Bo9S crusader was a replacement for the 3.5e paladin.
This is starting to hurt my head; this PH may not be too different from the PH2, 4 form new PS and 4 from old PS, which may be the format for PHs, but that would mean only one source per year and that 4E is going to have a metric butt-ton of races and classes.

If this keeps up we'll have over 40 classes when Elemental Power hits.

And I can't seem to figure out if thats a good thing or a bad thing.

Considering that every class so far has made me go, "Damn, that's cool, I wanna play one!!" I consider it good :D
I'm kinda worried. I already feel like Warden and Shaman were a bit of a stretch. I hope they have some really killer concepts. I really love Divine, too, but I don't see where they're gonna go. I'm at least glad they didn't give "Shadow" or "Elemental" undue attention.

Also, I've never paid much attention to the Gith, but it looks like I'm gonna start! :D
I cant see the point of Elemental as an extra power source separate from Primal. Il be surprised if the designers can convince me there is a point.

Oppositely, I hope there is a Shadow power source. Even a separate 'Necromancy' skill to cover it. I hope Shadow covers all 'deathly' flavor, including undead, necromancy, necrotic damage, and the plane of Shadowfell. I also hope it covers the devils in the Nine Hells (in the Astral Sea), the demons in the Abyss (in the Elemental Chaos), and similar darkside concepts.

More importantly, I hope Arcane and Divine deemphasize the darkside concepts, for better streamlining.

The Nature skill covers the Primal power source. Will the Psi power source have its own skill too?
Ancestral Worshipper, Witch, Totemist (is really wardenlike i know), Plant-guy,

yeah those are names, but for powers really? Ancestral worshipper and totemist sounds like shaman, and witch just reminds me of a feylock, you want to differentiate between each class so they don't end up as a mesh of similar concepts
I am actually really disappointed. I have already been waiting for the Shadow Power Source for a while and now it's going to be even longer. So much for a Necromancer.
My only concern is the minotaur on the cover. I thought we had been told that everything in the magazines was "core", and wouldn't be reprinted except for the yearly anthologies (which may or may not happen now). But first we get Warforged (and granted, I appreciate the thought, putting the 'forged out there for the Eberron junkies to play with until the setting comes out, along with the Artificer playtest), now it looks like minotaur is getting the PH treatment, and I'm betting that when Shadow gets released we'll see the shadar-kai again. With all the good monster races out there (orc, goblinoids, etc), don't tell me the gnoll is going to be the only one coming out in Dragon ('cause a year into it, it's the only one that doesn't look like a candidate for reprinting elsewhere).
Well, thrak. I anticipated Psionics, but Primal and Divine? What classes could they possibly have added to those? Though, as has been mentioned, I could see Wu Jen working as a Primal class; feels a bit more likely there than as an Elemental class.

Necromancer as Divine, though? Unlikely; Necromancy has, in D&D, always been about forcing the spirits and bones of the dead to obey a mortal's bidding, tapping into lore that the Gods jealously guard and performing actions that all except the most evil or amoral consider depraved. A traditional Necromancer is an enemy of the gods; at best, they earn the patronage of Demons... which, in 4e, are even more opposed to the Gods (being Elementals of Corruption and Dissolution) than they were in previous editions. Considering that Necromancy is iconic to what is now called the Shadow source, my money is still on it being a Shadow Controller.

But, anyway, why do Divine and Primal need some more classes so soon after the PHB2 was released? They've both got all 4 roles filled as is; surely it would have been better to get the Psionic, Shadow and Elemental classes out now before adding new options to older sources?
Damn, this sucks, I was hoping for Shadow classes, and especially the necromancer...

I'm also really annoyed that they decided to put in more primal and divine classes. Seriously? Do we need another variation of paladin or cleric? And primal was rather underwhelming for me so I don't know why they decided to stuff in another concept into an already crowded power source.
I am OUTRAGED. Almost.

We don't need more primal or divine classes! GIMME SOME OF THAT ELEMENTAL! Honestly!

I don't really like Divine classes except the Invoker. like the idea of divine classes that don't pray to dieties and use their own power.

I'm kinda worried. I already feel like Warden and Shaman were a bit of a stretch. I hope they have some really killer concepts.

This! They weren't special except mechanically. There really isn't sufficient fluff to make these guys different.

I'm at least glad they didn't give "Shadow" or "Elemental" undue attention.

I'm looking forward to these a lot. They need undo attention.

I'd like to see new Martial classes not for the lack of a controller but so that I can see what crazy ideas they come up with.

By the way, I don't really like Minotaurs. They should have put in an Aberrant race, like Mind Flayers.
Hmm, I need a signature...
For the record I disbelieve in a shadow controller called necromancer...
now what I could see is a shadow leader called the Animator that uses the power of shadow to animate inanimate objects, which would make it possible for people to get a necromancer without the whole alignment problem. with the Animator it could also be possible to animate anything, such as creepy dolls or statues
Jailbreaker, I hope they redefine Gith as Aberrant. The Gith were basically genetically evolved for Mindflayers. How can Gith not be Aberrant?

Black Knight: Do we need another variation of paladin or cleric?

Well, yes, exactly. We need Divine classes that arent another variation of Paladin or Cleric. A different kind of flavor for Divine. Perhaps Buddhism-like flavor?
I am thinking though, with confirmation of the Giths and Primal in PHB3. That the previews we got so far have excluded stuff, I can't see the Monk or Wilden article not mentioning Gith and new Primal classes.

The Gith are mentioned in the Monk article, sorta. That's a Gith monk in the first picture behind the Earth Genasi. The second I saw it I felt it was confirmation they'd be in.

The Minotaur on the cover irritates me though. First the Warforged, now the Minotaur, and as bwcmd1 the Shadar-kai will probably be next. Seriously, what's the point of new race articles in Dragon if they're just going to show up in a PHB or PG shortly afterwards? The only consolation I take from this is that the Dragon Minotaur is way too melee oriented, when all races are supposed to be designed to function as casters or melee, so hopefully PH3 will fix that.

That is one sweet picture of a Gith though. I just hope both are in, and not just the 'Zerai.
The Gith are mentioned in the Monk article, sorta. That's a Gith monk in the first picture behind the Earth Genasi. The second I saw it I felt it was confirmation they'd be in.

Yeah but since it isn't mentioned in the Race section for Monk I feel like they intentionally excluded its mention.
That is one sweet picture of a Gith though. I just hope both are in, and not just the 'Zerai.

really? it looks more like a 'yanki to me.
I am actually really disappointed. I have already been waiting for the Shadow Power Source for a while and now it's going to be even longer. So much for a Necromancer.

Yeah, I don't believe we'll ever see a Necromancer. It's likely we see maybe more articles or a supplement that'll lend darkness-themed powers to existing classes, but there's no need to make Necromancer separate from Wizard.
If WotC is smart, theyl create the Ravenloft setting, and make the Necromancer class exclusive for it, like the Swordmage is for FR, and the Artificer is for Eberron.

Personally, I cant wait to see the finished Artificer class, and would purchase the Eberron book even just for this class.

Jack: There's no need to make Necromancer separate from Wizard.

A problem is, the flavor of Necromancy really belongs to both the Arcane and the Divine power sources. The new Shadow power source solves the conflict by splitting Necromancy away from both of them. Now Clerics or Wizards who want to dabble with undead can take Shadow multiclasses or paragon paths.