Monk is Psionic!

433 posts / 0 new
Last post
The monk is psionic!
Psionic monks!
http://www.wizards.com/download.asp?filename=375_Playtest_Monk.pdf

Role: Striker
Power Source: Psionic

It begs the question, "What happened to the Ki power source?" which will no doubt be answered as I read more of this playtest article and the accompanying Design & Development article.
Who ninja'd who here? lol

(And is the ninja psionic!? ;))
Damn, ninja'd!

What the ****!!!!

They really pulled us for a ride here!

I can't believe it! Now on to reading the actual playtest...

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Who ninja'd who here? lol

(And is the ninja psionic!? ;))

Me ninja'd you. :P

I bet it's Shadow.
Awesome, I approve of this flavor decision. . .
Me ninja'd you. :P

Actually my thread says 12:01 and yours is 12:02. You are getting more traffic though. lol
Awesome, I approve of this flavor decision. . .

It seems weird in light of "Ki", but it's probably for the best, given the intense debates folks were having about wtf Ki should be.
Freaking sweet!
Actually my thread says 12:01 and yours is 12:02. You are getting more traffic though. lol

Mine says 10:02, thus I'm two hours earlier than you. ;)

PS: Yes Virginia, there is a power called "Drunken Monkey".
It seems weird in light of "Ki", but it's probably for the best, given the intense debates folks were having about wtf Ki should be.

It seems like Ki is no more. Check out the Design & Development article, it talks about why there won't be Ki.
I don't have DnDI Summarize for me!
Okay, the Design & Development article confirms it: "Ki" wasn't enough to be a whole power source on its own, and that the Monk became Psionic because it's the next best thing.
My first thought was.. wow.

My second thought: AWESOME.

In my homebrew, there's already a very close relationship between Ki and Psionics. This just made things a hell of a lot easier.
The monk ended up where it did because the ki power source proved untenable and psionics is the next best fit.

This goes a long way toward supporting my theory that the elemental power source will be tossed out the window. Wizards, Swordmages, Sorcerers, ect, are all elemental-based. The Elemental source just isn't unique enough to exist.
The Design & Development article also discusses why Shugenja, Ninjas, Wu Jen, and Samurais aren't "Ki" classes, and confirms that Samurai (probably) won't ever be a class, but will probably see the same treatment "Gladiator" and "Assassin" did in Dragon Magazine.
YAY!! Finally Psionics!!!! :D
need basic info...like what role, the gist of class features and powers. I dont need specifics, just the gist...
We'd better still get a Soulknife then, I don't care if it is also a psionic striker, but I still want a soulknife .
Focused Expertise feat....that is just ridiculous. Every swordmage is going to take that AND Weapon Expertise or Implement Expertise. That is just dumb.
The Design & Development article also discusses why Shugenja, Ninjas, Wu Jen, and Samurais aren't "Ki" classes, and confirms that Samurai (probably) won't ever be a class, but will probably see the same treatment "Gladiator" and "Assassin" did in Dragon Magazine.

WotC designers are finally making intelligent moves, I see.
This new forum is terrible. Try again Wizards.
Well that certainly came out of left FAIL.

I can't say that I disagree that Ki isn't enough of a power source on its own, but it would have been much cooler to see the monk become a martial class instead. I have never been a fan of psionics, never will be. It would have been much cooler to fuse psionics to ki so we can kill psionics dead (FINALLY).

Perhaps many of our other power sources will be lumped into the others, since elemental kinda is superceded by arcane, as is shadow. That kinda leave a rather bleak looking PHB3 though.
CORE MORE, NOT CORE BORE!
need basic info...like what role, the gist of class features and powers. I dont need specifics, just the gist...

Psionic Striker. I'm pretty sure I wrote that in the OP.

He has a lot of powers with the "Full Discipline"-keyword, which have both an Attack and a Movement component, each with their own action type. (For example, "Dancing Cobra", an At-Will Attack, has a Standard Action "attack technique" which deals 1[W] + Dex damage versus Reflex, and a Move Action "movement technique" which moves you up to your speed + 2.) You can only use one "Full Discipline" power per round.
Focused Expertise feat....that is just ridiculous. Every swordmage is going to take that AND Weapon Expertise or Implement Expertise. That is just dumb.

You must have missed the part where it says it doesn't stack with either of those. :P

(It's at the top of the next column.)

Special: You can take this feat more than once.
Each time you take this feat, choose a different
weapon that you can wield as an implement. This
bonus is not cumulative with the one provided by
Implement Expertise or Weapon Expertise.

Doesn't quite look like it. However, it's nice for those classes that do use both.

ninja'd

Psionic Striker. Key stat is Dex. Str and Wis are secondaries.

Psionic powers are called Disciplines.

Unarmored AC bonus and unarmed attacks that are treated as weapons (improved proficiency, damage, etc) and you can get them enchanted via ritual, so your character can now have flaming fists. There are also monk weapons.

Lots of abilities that allow for mobility. The bonus damage comes from Flurry of Blows, which allows you to deal bonus damage to your target or even other nearby target(s) upon any successful attack.
Uh... am I the only one who noticed that level 22 utility powers are totally missing from the playtest?
Just thought you should know. the countdown continues...
Well that certainly came out of left FAIL.

I can't say that I disagree that Ki isn't enough of a power source on its own, but it would have been much cooler to see the monk become a martial class instead. I have never been a fan of psionics, never will be. It would have been much cooler to fuse psionics to ki so we can kill psionics dead (FINALLY).

Perhaps many of our other power sources will be lumped into the others, since elemental kinda is superceded by arcane, as is shadow. That kinda leave a rather bleak looking PHB3 though.

Unfortunately for you, Psionics has been growing since 3E and Eberron, rather than dying off. 4E is taking steps to solidify it more firmly than ever before. It would be wise to just accept it, like I did; it may not be the same concepts you're expecting anyway. (The Monk, for example, isn't "psychic"; Psionic is just short-hand for "focuses on inner discipline more than outer", which the Monk does and manifests as cool movement and unarmed/exotically-armed attack powers.)
We'd better still get a Soulknife then, I don't care if it is also a psionic striker, but I still want a soulknife .

I'm thinking that the soulknife will be a paragon path for monks.
Okay, so as was pointed out, Monks can now get their Unarmed strikes enchanted via the Enchant Magic Item ritual. Additionally, Monks gain access to "Monk weapons" (unarmed attacks, clubs, daggers, quarterstaffs, and spears) which they can use as implements for their attack powers with the Implement keyword.
Well said docotorhook, it is really just an issue of semantics. It appears that psionics and ki are the same thing, so what does it really matter what name they decide to give it. Though I prefer calling it psionic, I wouldn't care (and would also approve) if they said psions were now ki powered. . .

Edit: Oh and angelus_obscura, I see a lot of love for the psi-blades aspect of the soul knife. I could see it showing up in a striker and a defender. Although it is pure speculation, I could see it as a monk paragon path and a also a feature of a psionic defender if one gets made, maybe both.
The Ki is dead! Long live the Ki!
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
I'm thinking that the soulknife will be a paragon path for monks.

It could be an as-yet-unrevealed Monk build, too, or it could be the Psionic Defender. (Imagine the Soulknife concept killing the Psychic Warrior and taking its stuff; besides, "Psychic Warrior" is a terrible name for a class.)
So whats a Soulknife if not an Avenger or Swordmage who's sword is their mind?
You must have missed the part where it says it doesn't stack with either of those. :P

(It's at the top of the next column.)

I totally missed that! Its kinda lame that the had to specifically state that it doesnt stack because they didnt have the foresight to actually make these feats typed bonuses though.

This is a sort of necessary feat at this point, since swordmages where getting hosed for needing both weapon and implement expertise before. This is a feat that should have been in the PHB2 or PGtFR.

It could be an as-yet-unrevealed Monk build, too, or it could be the Psionic Defender. (Imagine the Soulknife concept killing the Psychic Warrior and taking its stuff; besides, "Psychic Warrior" is a terrible name for a class.)

This also solves the name problem for the soulknife. People were saying that it would need a new name if the ki power source used soul and the soulknife was psionic. Now the name is free of the baggage.
Oh, and I forgot to mention: Monks treat Unarmed attacks not only as a weapon they are proficient with, but also as 1d8 damage, +3 proficiency weapons with a reach of 1, which again, are enchantable. The Design & Development article also discusses the idea that Monks will be able to gain additional "properties" for their unarmed attacks, citing "brutal" as a hypothetical example.
Is it me reading it wrong or can flurry of blows turn all of the monk attacks into cleave? At a glance this class looks like a blast to play. I'm really looking forward to playtesting it. Dance of the stinging hornet has to be my favorite power, even just for flavor.
So whats a Soulknife if not an Avenger or Swordmage who's sword is their mind?

In fact, not so long ago I suggested to a fellow looking to homebrew a Soulknife that he crib from a combination of the Rogue and Swordmage classes. (It was prior to the Avenger, though I may not have picked it anyway.)

This also solves the name problem for the soulknife. People were saying that it would need a new name if the ki power source used soul and the soulknife was psionic. Now the name is free of the baggage.

Truth! I expect to see the term "Ki" appear in the names of a lot of Monk "stuff": feats, powers, paragon paths, and magic items.

As for Soulknives (or, if Defenders: "Soulswords" perhaps?) I expect the class to be heavily reconcepted after being boiled-down to its most basic identity: a warrior who fights primarily in melee with a blade of energy that he forms with his mind/soul. (I always thought of the X-Men's Psylocke as the iconic Soulknife, and I think she will remain thus with any such concept.)

EDIT: It just occured to me: with Ki as a Power Source effectively DOA now, this certainly bodes ill for those hoping to see Incarnum return as flavour-booster for that power source.
In fact, not so long ago I suggested to a fellow looking to homebrew a Soulknife that he crib from a combination of the Rogue and Swordmage classes. (It was prior to the Avenger, though I may not have picked it anyway.)

I could see the soulknife get the gladiator treatment. It could just be a series of feats that let you use whatever weapon your class normally uses as an energy blade. You could make a soulknife out of any class then.
Well said docotorhook, it is really just an issue of semantics. It appears that psionics and ki are the same thing, so what does it really matter what name they decide to give it. Though I prefer calling it psionic, I wouldn't care (and would also approve) if they said psions were now ki powered. . .

Edit: Oh and angelus_obscura, I see a lot of love for the psi-blades aspect of the soul knife. I could see it showing up in a striker and a defender. Although it is pure speculation, I could see it as a monk paragon path and a also a feature of a psionic defender if one gets made, maybe both.

Totally agreed, on both counts. (In fact, I said pretty much the same thing just a moment ago.)

Oh, and thanks!
While knowing for a fact that there is going to be Psionics in PHB3, and more space for it with the exclusion of Ki, plus hopefully this means more classes for Psionics. One worry I have is how much the Ki flavours Psionics, I really want lots of Pseudoscience in my Psionics. I am hopeful that since it is more one included within Psionics and not built into it from the beginning will mean there is Pseudoscience.

Gah! Makes me want to see even more stuff!