Phb 3 races

421 posts / 0 new
Last post
Any word on what new racial options might be popping up in the phb 3?
Last I heard we're getting 6 - all Modrons. They've had their names reqorked for 4E to make them more compatible with existing 'figures' - d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and d20.

In all seriousness: I would not expect us to know the entire PHB III series of races until the fall, although 1 or 2 will slip out soon. In fact, I would not be surprised to discusover 1 or 2 next week. They'll likely be races comaptible with the Ki power source (as the monk is being previewed next week), as well as compatible with any other power source featured in PHB III (I'm betting primal and martial - as they have yet to be featured in 2 different PHBs - or 2 other new ones).
D&D & Boardgames If I have everything I need to run great games for many years without repeating stuff, why do I need to buy anything right now?
We will know at least one by tomorrow (whichever is the playtest).
We will know at least one by tomorrow (whichever is the playtest).

According to the calendar, the playtest's been pushed back to Friday the 24th.
Martial and Primal are done, cept for the various Settings Player Guides. The current concenses in another thread is Psi 4/Ki 2/Shadow 2

I myself hope for the Dromite for the small race (like the Halfling in the first, and Gnome in the second)
Terms you should know...
Show
Kit Build - A class build that is self sustaining and has mechanical differences than the normal scale. Started in Essentials. Most are call their own terms, though the Base Class should be said in front of their own terms (Like Assassin/Executioner) Power Points - A mechanic that was wedged into the PHB3 classes (with the exception of the Monk) from the previous editions. This time, they are used to augment At Wills to be Encounters, thus eliminating the need to choose powers past 4th level. Mage Builds - Kit builds that are schools of magic for the Wizard. A call back to the previous editions powering up of the wizard. (Wizard/Necromancer, for example) Unlike the previous kit builds, Wizards simply lose their Scribe Rituals feature and most likely still can choose powers from any build, unlike the Kit Builds. Parcel System - A treasure distribution method that keeps adventurers poor while forcing/advising the DM to get wish lists from players. The version 2.0 rolls for treasure instead of making a list, and is incomplete because of the lack of clarity about magic item rarity.
ha ha
56902498 wrote:
They will Essentialize the Essentials classes, otherwise known as Essentials2. The new sub-sub-classes will be: * Magician. A subsubclass of Mage, the magician has two implements, wand and hat, one familiar (rabbit) and series of basic tricks. * Crook. A subsubclass of Thief, the Crook can only use a shiv, which allows him to use his only power... Shank. * Angry Vicar, a subsubclass of warpriest, the angry vicar has two attacks -- Shame and Lecture. * Hitter. A subsubclass of Slayer, the Hitter hits things. * Gatherer. A subsubclass of Hunter, it doesn't actually do anything, but pick up the stuff other players might leave behind. Future Essentials2 classes include the Security Guard (Sentinel2), the Hexknife (Hexblade2), the Webelos (Scout2), the Gallant (Cavalier2) and the Goofus (Knight2). These will all be detailed in the box set called Heroes of the Futile Marketing. (Though what they should really release tomorrow is the Essentialized version of the Witchalok!)
I'd like to see Elan and Maenads for psionic races, although I understand that Dromites have quite a few fans out there. I can't imagine a ki-based race. Shadar Kai are already covered in Dragon; would they even make it into PH3?

I personally do not want to see goblins, bugbears, and orcs as player character races, since I don't want them to deflate the heroic feel to playing the game; it would put too much focus on them, frankly. That said, there are quite a few goblinoid fans, and Wizards may play to that. I would not like it, however.

That flying race from Races of the Wild would be cool, but there is a real aversion to flight at heroic and early paragon levels in the current edition. Killoren would be nice.

A guess then: Elan, Half-Giants, Maenads, Dromites.
Yeah, there really is nothing definite, all the debate going about is what we want/think to see. Friday is when we will start to get an idea (it got pushed back).

As for myself my dream list (some could show up in Campaign Settings):
  • Elan
  • Doppelganger/Changeling
  • Thri-Keen
  • Raavasta
  • Yuan-Ti
  • Half-Farspawn/Some other manner of Aberrant Race (besides Elan)
Well the half-race are probably gonna end up as bloodlines, or something like that.
Githzerai and Githyanki are likely to be included, since Monks will be introduced in PHB3, and psionics will probably appear as well. Ki and psionics fit the flavor of the gith rather well, so there's a good chance they'll show up.

Doppelgangers and/or Kalashtar might also show up, depending on which races appear in the Eberron book.

Winged and aquatic races might appear, but as mentioned before, have some logistical issues about balancing them at low levels. Centaurs might be a good pick, but face some issues as well with being quadrupedal. At least one psionic race from 3rd edition (elans, dromites, and so forth) might make a return appearance.
I really wanna see the MONK!

I have Monasteries in my World and love playing them!

Can't wait to find out....

"Make a Wish"
IMAGE(http://www.opensquares.info/myimages/6c990b7aca7bc7058f5e98ea909e924b.jpg)
I have the sneaking suspicion that Duergar might pop up in the PHB3.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
Kobolds ftw
I really wanna see the MONK!

I have Monasteries in my World and love playing them!

Can't wait to find out....

"Make a Wish"
IMAGE(http://www.opensquares.info/myimages/6c990b7aca7bc7058f5e98ea909e924b.jpg)

Thank you for your donation to the Make a Wish foundation.

We are unable to grant your wish at this time.

Error: 10107.

Reasoning: Monk has been CONFIRMED for the past several MONTHS. it's playtest is NEXT MONTH.
Ahh, so THIS is where I can add a sig. Remember: Killing an ancient God inside of a pyramid IS a Special Occasion, and thus, ladies should be dipping into their Special Occasions underwear drawer.
I have the sneaking suspicion that Duergar might pop up in the PHB3.

Nah it'll just be a bloodline feat for dwarves that gives you one of those dart shooting beards ;)
Nah it'll just be a bloodline feat for dwarves that gives you one of those dart shooting beards ;)

:D

At least in the text for Duergar in Thunderspire Labyrinth, they are said to be "distant kin to dwarves". This is a similar distinction that was made for drow, eladrin and elves.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
Oddly enough Duergar are the only race i can think of i'd like to see out of PHB3. A bunch more bloodline feats would be nice to see though. Something new would be nice though, Dragonborn are currently the only 'new' race in 4th edition.
Oddly enough Duergar are the only race i can think of i'd like to see out of PHB3. A bunch more bloodline feats would be nice to see though. Something new would be nice though, Dragonborn are currently the only new race.

As in you would prefer the Duergar to be in the PHB3 or left out of the PHB3?

And while Dragonborn are new they kind of have their spiritual ancestors within earlier editions and campaign worlds.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
69216168 wrote:
As in you would prefer the Duergar to be in the PHB3 or left out of the PHB3?

And while Dragonborn are new they kind of have their spiritual ancestors within earlier editions and campaign worlds.

Crazy english language. I meant i'd like them in the book. And yes I know Dragonborn aren't 100% new, but coming up with something 100% new is also difficult. Most remaning class races are fairly setting specific, except for these Dromites and Elan i've barely heard of.

Most races that are 'half something' can pretty much be made with bloodline feats.
Crazy english language. I meant i'd like them in the book. And yes I know Dragonborn aren't 100% new, but coming up with something 100% new is also difficult. Most remaning class races are fairly setting specific, except for these Dromites and Elan i've barely heard of.

Most races that are 'half something' can pretty much be made with bloodline feats.

True, on the half-whatever comment (not saying the rest of the post was untrue). I think half-orcs and half-elves are really the only half-whatevers I care to see.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
69216168 wrote:

:D

At least in the text for Duergar in Thunderspire Labyrinth, they are said to be "distant kin to dwarves". This is a similar distinction that was made for drow, eladrin and elves.

Duergar might be an interesting choice, if they play up their psionic aspects in the background fluff. Perhaps they got warped by exposure to the Far Realm/experimentation by illithids. I'd guess that the racial stats for duergar might be CON/CHA, since gith already use CON/INT and charisma fits the psionic flavor well.

Of course, we might see azer as a playable race instead (or in addition), but only after the elemental source is released, which means a possible PHB4 race.
Duergar might be an interesting choice, if they play up their psionic aspects in the background fluff. Perhaps they got warped by exposure to the Far Realm/experimentation by illithids. I'd guess that the racial stats for duergar might be CON/CHA, since gith already use CON/INT and charisma fits the psionic flavor well.

Of course, we might see azer as a playable race instead (or in addition), but only after the elemental source is released, which means a possible PHB4 race.

In this thing right here it says their twisted nature is the effect of an association with devils and infernal magic. They all seem to have damn high CON and STR, actually. So probably links to infernal or darker powers are most likely to happen if they get included, with a focus on their bodily power and resilience.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
69216168 wrote:
I think the Thri Kreen are gonna be saved for the Dark Sun setting.

Anything in Dragon is not yet published. The only official places for new races and classes is in the player guides. (Handbooks and settings) So if you see something in Dragon that may be a race in PHB3, the possibility is there.

I am hoping the Gith is made into the one race with the separate entities as casts from the same background. It is much like the Shifter having the Razor Claw and Long Tooth.

Some of the wacky races in the EPH should stay as novelties in the previous edition. The Xeph are simply to generic to port over. (Made for some average mini's also) The Elan being "made" is such an epic power grab move and a bad background to start role playing in makes it unlikely to be around. Eberron has one race just as bad, one that is "taken over" by being from another plane of existence. The Maenad may make it in, though the Genisi in the FRPG are a bit similar with Elemental kick. I think the Duergar might make a good dark race for the PHB3, like the Tiefling in the first.

One race that I might like to see is the Minotaur. I think that would be a better choice than the Half Giant.
Terms you should know...
Show
Kit Build - A class build that is self sustaining and has mechanical differences than the normal scale. Started in Essentials. Most are call their own terms, though the Base Class should be said in front of their own terms (Like Assassin/Executioner) Power Points - A mechanic that was wedged into the PHB3 classes (with the exception of the Monk) from the previous editions. This time, they are used to augment At Wills to be Encounters, thus eliminating the need to choose powers past 4th level. Mage Builds - Kit builds that are schools of magic for the Wizard. A call back to the previous editions powering up of the wizard. (Wizard/Necromancer, for example) Unlike the previous kit builds, Wizards simply lose their Scribe Rituals feature and most likely still can choose powers from any build, unlike the Kit Builds. Parcel System - A treasure distribution method that keeps adventurers poor while forcing/advising the DM to get wish lists from players. The version 2.0 rolls for treasure instead of making a list, and is incomplete because of the lack of clarity about magic item rarity.
ha ha
56902498 wrote:
They will Essentialize the Essentials classes, otherwise known as Essentials2. The new sub-sub-classes will be: * Magician. A subsubclass of Mage, the magician has two implements, wand and hat, one familiar (rabbit) and series of basic tricks. * Crook. A subsubclass of Thief, the Crook can only use a shiv, which allows him to use his only power... Shank. * Angry Vicar, a subsubclass of warpriest, the angry vicar has two attacks -- Shame and Lecture. * Hitter. A subsubclass of Slayer, the Hitter hits things. * Gatherer. A subsubclass of Hunter, it doesn't actually do anything, but pick up the stuff other players might leave behind. Future Essentials2 classes include the Security Guard (Sentinel2), the Hexknife (Hexblade2), the Webelos (Scout2), the Gallant (Cavalier2) and the Goofus (Knight2). These will all be detailed in the box set called Heroes of the Futile Marketing. (Though what they should really release tomorrow is the Essentialized version of the Witchalok!)
How could I forget the Githzerai/Githyanki! Wow. That was obvious.

Minotaurs have already been covered in Dragon. I like the idea of Duergar, though.

Githzerai/Githyanki as a single race (as mentioned above)
Duergar
Maenads
Blues
Elan
Dromites
Killoren (need more fey)

I think that Kalashtar and Dopplegangers will be in Eberron, so not really on my list here. I think that, upon reflection, half-giants may be covered in any dark sun material; not enough to distinguish them in a regular game, unless they add to their game info beyond the stuff in the XPH.
My theories:

* Githyanki & Githzerai for the Psionic and Ki flavour respectively,
* Thri-Kreen have a possibility since there is a playtest for a race, and they seem a very likely candidate for a playtest because of the four arms and other abilites
* Doppleganger - Another race with a psionic leaning. The previous doppleganger, when it was a monster, was able to read minds which could show a psionic talent. Since the Changeling and doppleganger from 3.5 were melded together, it would make sense bring back some of the monster elements into the player race, since the two were combined. This, however, is another contender for the racial playtest.
*Dromite - While not terribly likely, it is the only choice here that is more of a personal hope, rather than a logical possibility. I like them, they are another small race, and they could be vastly improved by 4e. While I like them, they were somewhat bland in the previous incarnation. A small race in each PHB would be nice.
* Shadar-Kai if they include shadow as a power source in PHB3.
* A playable undead race, once again, if shadow is a power source. However, taking the undying from Eberron, and converting them to a player race could work without the shadow power source, in fact it would have more leanings towards arcane and possibly ki, since that is the power of the soul. Another possibility for a playtest race.

Now, races I don't see showing up:
* Kobolds - I know they are really popular, but some monsters stay monsters, only to be given love in Dragon. Also, putting them in dragon, what with all the fans, could garner some subscriptions to the e-magazine because of how many fans there are.
* Half-Giants - Honestly, I see the half-giant as dead and eaten. By the goliath. The two races shared a very similar niche. Goliaths do seem similar to stone giants, at least superficially.
* Kalashtar - I still believe Kalashtar will end up in the Eberron Players guide. It's a gut feeling. While they could work in any setting with some tweaking, they are needed in Eberron without tweaking.
* Xeph - As mentioned earlier, they were kind of bland, basically human in my opinion. If they must be put in, make it a racial sub-race feat that only humans can take.
* Elan could be another case like the xeph. Of course, it could be interesting if the races was turned into a class or maybe a paragon path - give up your humanity (or dwarfity, elfity, half-orcity, etc.) to become a psionic construct.
* Maenad - Unless the make them look less human, to me they seem like shiny humans, they seem to be another bland race that could be done as a racial feat/paragon path as well.
* Duegar - they've been changed a bit, and seem less psionic than previous editions, so they may be left out. Or reduced to a sub-race feat.
Minotaurs have already been covered in Dragon. I like the idea of Duergar, though.

I went over this. Dragon isn't a permanent placeholder for anything. Any race in the ghost of the mag is a likely candidate for the PHB3 (and Setting Player Guides) as they will not be reprinted in the annual/Bi-annual soft cover release. (if one ever comes out, that is)

DDi is extra stuff, not core.
Terms you should know...
Show
ha ha
56902498 wrote:
It's very possible we'll know with the coming of the Eberron books - Forgotten Realms spoiled Deva, Shifter, Gnome, Half-Orc, and Goliath by mentioning them in the category "other races." Eberron could do the same to the PH3 races, as long as they're willing to support all the core material in the setting, even with it's major differences.

That said, I doubt Half-Giants are going to be differentiated from Goliaths. There will probably at least one Psionic class that uses Constitution (if not one that uses Strength), and it'll probably be the Defender, so Goliath's will fit into the role quite well.

Duergar are a definite possibility. I was kind of hoping some relation to Starspawn or Foulspawn for a race, but I guess my Foulspawn race (highly refluffed) will have to remain as homebrew, because Foulspawn are quite definitely evil and insane in core 4e. Duergar, on the other hand, are quite evil, but so are Drow (well, Chaotic Evil, but...), and Drow have been popular enough to become PCs. I'm not sure about the Duergar's direction they're taking though; the only Duergar I've seen in any material released had the Devil keyword, which confused me. Are Duergar now somehow related to devils? Could they be the Immortal counterpart to the Tiefling, and actually have Con/Int so they can take advantage of the Infernal Pact? And how many licks DOES it take to get to the centre of a Tootsie-roll Tootsie Pop? The world may never know...

Gith are in. Whether they are two races or one is the question.

Raptorans would be awesome. They don't even need flying until their Racial PP, and work really well if you check out how Wizardmon worked them out. Killoren would be another awesome Primal throwback race. Remember, throw-back races are just as valid. Half-Orcs were a Martial throwback race.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Give me some gith baby. ooo yeah.
I went over this. Dragon isn't a permanent placeholder for anything. Any race in the ghost of the mag is a likely candidate for the PHB3 (and Setting Player Guides) as they will not be reprinted in the annual/Bi-annual soft cover release. (if one ever comes out, that is)

I see what you're saying. Personally, I think that minotaurs are a bit too monstrous for me to want them included in any PH.
I'm thinking Gith will be written in much the same way as the Shifter were written together but slightly differentiated (longtooth vs razorclaw)
as i see it:

shadar-kai - phb3 shadow
dark ones - phb3 shadow
githzerai - phb3 ki
githyanki - phb3 psionic
doppleganger - phb3 psionic or eberron players guide (epg)
warforged - epg
mul - dark sun players guide (dspg)

phb4 races (they'll call it the shaggy phb)
goblins
hobgoblins
bugbears
orcs
kobolds
minotaurs
gnolls

afterthought, somewhere, somehow, wotc needs to make a wis/cha player race.

And everyone else has repeatedly gone over this with you: Dragon IS core. No matter how many times you protest, you can't change facts.
It's true thaX, sorry.

Bel
Originally Posted by WotC_RichBaker In related news, I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate your 3.5 rulebooks, and force you to convert to the new edition. Where do you live?
Any reason why Drow wouldn't be considered? Not in either of the phb so far, nor have they received a Dragon write-up that I know of ... they've already given us two "elf" races, why not a third?

Seems they'd go well with the "Shadow" power too ...
Any reason why Drow wouldn't be considered? Not in either of the phb so far, nor have they received a Dragon write-up that I know of ... they've already given us two "elf" races, why not a third?

Seems they'd go well with the "Shadow" power too ...

Drow are in the Forgotten Realm's Player's Guide, and WotC seems pretty adamant about not reprinting stuff from one book into another, except power keywords.
Drow are in the Forgotten Realm's Player's Guide, and WotC seems pretty adamant about not reprinting stuff from one book into another, except power keywords.

Ah, I'm not a huge FR fan, so I don't think I've ever even bothered to find out the contents of that particular book.

Sigh, another one I have to go buy now ...
Ah, I'm not a huge FR fan, so I don't think I've ever even bothered to find out the contents of that particular book.

Sigh, another one I have to go buy now ...

It's worth it. there are some really good things in there.
Ahh, so THIS is where I can add a sig. Remember: Killing an ancient God inside of a pyramid IS a Special Occasion, and thus, ladies should be dipping into their Special Occasions underwear drawer.
You could also just get the character builder, its all there.

But the FRPG is really more general stuff that while fluffed towards the realms can be applied anywhere.
Yeah, if you rip the fluff away many people view the FRPG as PHB 1.5 in terms of the amount of content.
That is something I like about this round of material from WotC; It's all official, regardless of setting, and you can import FR stuff into other stuff and i is okaaaay.
And everyone else has repeatedly gone over this with you: Dragon IS core. No matter how many times you protest, you can't change facts.

It has always been advertised as extra content, a help for the DM and extra goodies for the player. DDi - "Bring even more to your game table with D&D Insider. With quick access to exclusive material and digital tools D%DI(tm) will help enhance every aspect of your tabletop game."

There has been official word that the only place for new Races and Classes will be in the PHB's and the Setting's Player Guides. Those, it is assumed, that are in the DDi are preview material. It won't be in the Annual soft cover, that being saved for powers, feats and other things, and it won't be in any power source master books.

Whether or not the Minotaur will be in a PHB or stay online is a question, but the possibility that it will adorn the pages of the PHB3 exists, or it could be in the Dark Sun Player's Guide. The Dragon "article" should be considered a preview for future releases.
Terms you should know...
Show
ha ha
56902498 wrote:
It has always been advertised as extra content, a help for the DM and extra goodies for the player. DDi - "Bring even more to your game table with D&D Insider. With quick access to exclusive material and digital tools D%DI(tm) will help enhance every aspect of your tabletop game."

There has been official word that the only place for new Races and Classes will be in the PHB's and the Setting's Player Guides. Those, it is assumed, that are in the DDi are preview material. It won't be in the Annual soft cover, that being saved for powers, feats and other things, and it won't be in any power source master books.

Whether or not the Minotaur will be in a PHB or stay online is a question, but the possibility that it will adorn the pages of the PHB3 exists, or it could be in the Dark Sun Player's Guide. The Dragon "article" should be considered a preview for future releases.

The only "preview" material in Dragon is the stuff blatantly marked PREVIEW or PLAYTEST. Otherwise it's all official, all CORE. The race articles are just as official as the PH & PG books. Not previews.