First glimps at the PHB2 Avenger class!

196 posts / 0 new
Last post
A few days ago the D&D Experience 2009 event was held, and it included some short adventures using pre-gen characters of PHB2 classes. Some attendees were kind enough to take pictures of the character sheets, providing us with first-looks at some of the characteristics of shamans, Devas, Goliaths, and Gnomes. However, we have known a bit about these classes/races for a while now. Unfortunately, no pictures of the most specuated about class- the Avenger- were included. But, someone's camera hand was just a bit shaky, so one of the pictures shows a small section of a character sheet featuring a character with high Wisdom and Dexterity and moderate Strength, wielding a longspear and crossbow and wearing cloth armor. This combination of characteristics all but confirms that is is the Avenger.

The pictures: http://www.hordelings.com/forums/postView.php?post_id=177811&viewPage=0#177811

The one showing the Avenger (on the right side): http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k31/maijstral/DDXP09016-1.jpg

So where do you think the class might be going? I must say, I'm surprised by the cloth armor. Even for a striker, this probably means some alternative AC boosting ability. The 40 hit points at 3rd level put him at about average, while weapon expertise with spears suggests a melee role.
:OMG! I can't believe this!!! They made something ORIGINAL!! Dex based military weapon attack and high HP / low AC striker!! Incredible.

I'm happy!! :bounce:

Join the Zendikar D&D Campaign Setting group: discover the fantastic world and contribute to make Zendikar a playable setting!
   - Warning! Spectacular visuals and lore ahead! ... Take a look...
Play-by-Post and my D&D blogging!

*All my latest rolls!*

Campaigns and Characters:
Zendikar: Covenant of The Forgotten Relics
- Cylonea: Merfolk (Elemental Priest) Shaman(World Speaker)/Artificer --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff
- Vurokk Dahvre: Shade (Escaped Slave) Blackguard of Fury --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)
Nature's Allies
- Carwyn Sihderfein: Half-Elf (Tuathan) Blackguard of Domination / Binder of Gloom --> Sheet, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)

Me too!

I just can't wait to see their extra damage feature. I still can't find any other pictures. Someone must have taken a picture of the entire sheet, c'mon people!
Ya, but what else does this tell us? They're fast, and that's cool. I dunno. What's the 'thematic' behind them. The story as to what they are.
40 hit points at level 3 without the Toughness feat probably means

15 starting hit points
+13 constitution score
+12 for leveling up

Basically what a fighter gets. Of course, they probably don't use constitution for much, and they only seem to get cloth armor proficiency.
Could be because he's a half-orc. I also notice a sorta 'marking' mechanic.
Could be because he's a half-orc. I also notice a sorta 'marking' mechanic.

Wait a second, where do you see that? In the image I saw there's a corner so small I can't get nothing but ability scores, hit points, feats, skills, and the weapon...

EDIT: OOOOooooOOooohhHHhh!! HERE! IT'S NEW! AND POWERS (A pity it gets nearly unreadable when zoomed)

Join the Zendikar D&D Campaign Setting group: discover the fantastic world and contribute to make Zendikar a playable setting!

*All my latest rolls!*

- Cylonea: Merfolk (Elemental Priest) Shaman(World Speaker)/Artificer --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff
- Vurokk Dahvre: Shade (Escaped Slave) Blackguard of Fury --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)
Nature's Allies
- Carwyn Sihderfein: Half-Elf (Tuathan) Blackguard of Domination / Binder of Gloom --> Sheet, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)

Yeah... full sheet is up, just further down the page there.

IMAGE(http://www.hordelings.com/cache/ad35381c74760a9c2ccffb8180bb2fea_600x-1x0.png)

IMAGE(http://www.hordelings.com/cache/e96732a6c065b796ef03bdb5dfc5dbe1_600x-1x0.png)

I can make out a few interesting things...

He's got "Armor of Faith", which is a +3 bonus to AC when wearing light armor and no shield... my guess is that this is related to his Wisdom modifier.

"Oath of Enmity" seems to be their version of Curse/Quarry/etc. I can make out "When you make a melee against the target and the target is the only enemy adjacent to you..."
It's not because he's half-orc, it seems they really wanted to be original and the extra damage thing is done by this strange "marking" ability. It surely doesn't function like a normal mark, or such a low defense boy would be in trouble soon... However, it's clearly defenderish as secondary role.

The dailies making him summon "aspects" seem pretty similar to the Warden's ones, giving encounter-lasting bonuses once used. Very good.
This Avenger was the class I was more worried about but is becoming one of my personal favorites with all these news.

*All my latest rolls!*

Nature's Allies

Oath of Enmity Avenger Feature
You focus your wrath on a single foe, giving your attacks against it extraordinary accuracy.
Encounter (Special) * Divine
Minor Action Close Burst 10
Target: One enemy you can see in burst.
Effect: When you make a melee attack against the target and the target is the only enemy adjacent to you, you make two attack rolls and use either resuilts. This effect lasts until the end of the encounter or until the target drops to 0 hit points, at which point you regain the use of this power.
If another effect lets you roll twice and use the higher result when making an attack roll, the power has no effect on that attack. If an effect forces you to roll twice and use the lower result when making an attack roll, this power has no effect on that attack either.
If an effect lets you reroll an attack roll and you rolled twice because of this power, you reroll both dice.

---

I think.

From what I can tell, the avenger has hints of defender mixed in.
Homebrew classes: Guerrilla, Airbender, Earthbender, Firebender, and Waterbender. (PHASE 2 BEGINS! Tell us how we could make these classes better. The Shadow power source done right.
"Oath of Enmity" seems to be their version of Curse/Quarry/etc. I can make out "When you make a melee against the target and the target is the only enemy adjacent to you..."

"... You make two attack rolls and use either result."

Then I don't understand anything.
t's a very mystical type of one on one duelism. Sequestering Strike is clearly made to trigger this, teleporting both you and the target.
It seems you are made for one vs. one combat, isolated from the rest. Again VERY ORIGINAL.

EDIT: Thanks Ekio, how the hell could you read that? :D

*All my latest rolls!*

Nature's Allies

EDIT: Thanks Ekio, how the hell could you read that? :D

Magic eyes! :D

Want me to get the rest of it?
Homebrew classes: Guerrilla, Airbender, Earthbender, Firebender, and Waterbender. (PHASE 2 BEGINS! Tell us how we could make these classes better. The Shadow power source done right.
Very original and possibly good for ranger multiclass + the Prime Strike or Prime Hunter feats. High dexterity and wisdom means that the Avenger could probably use some ranger bow powers as well, if he/she needs a little extra ranged firepower. I can't say right now how the Avenger will pair up with the ranger in the end, but it looks okay as of now.
Magic eyes! :D

Want me to get the rest of it?

lemme be the first to say "Hell yeah!"
Here's the first column:

Bond of Pursuit Avenger Attack 1
With your attack, you utter a promise to follow your enemy if it tries to escape.
At-Will * Divine, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature.
Attack: +8 vs. AC
Hit: 1d10 + 4 damage. If the target doesn't end its next turn adjacent to you, you can shift 4 squares as a free action, and you must end that shift closest to the target.

Overwhelming Strike Avenger Attack 1
As you attack, your manuever around your foe, forcing it to move with you.
At-Will * Divine, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon
Target: One creature
Attack +8 vs. AC
Hit: 1d10 + 4 damage. You shift 1 square and slide the target 1 square into the space you occupied.

Oath of Enmity
etc.

Channel Divinity: Abjure Undead Avenger Feature
You send a brilliant ray of radiant power on an undead foe, compelling it to stagger toward you.
Encounter * Divine, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action Close Burst 5
Target: One undead creature within burst.
Attack: +4 vs. Will
Hit: 1d10 + 3 radiant damage, and you pull the target 4 squares. The target is also immobilized until the end of your next turn.
Miss: Half damage, and you pull the target 1 square.

Channel Divinity: Divine Guidance Avenger Feature
You heed your deity's guidance to an ally's attack against your foe.
Encounter * Divine
Immediate Interrupt Close burst 10.
Trigger: An ally within 10 squares of you makes an attack roll against your oath of enmity target.
Target: The triggering ally.
Effect: The target makes a second attack roll and uses either result.
Here's the second column.

Furious Assault Half-Orc Racial Power
Your monstrous wrath burns inside you, giving strength to your attack.
Encounter
Free Action Personal
Trigger: You hit an enemy.
Effect: This attack deals 1[W] extra damage if its a weapon attack or 1d8 extra damage if it isn't.

Whirlwind Charge Avenger Attack 1
As you charge your foe, divine light surrounds you in a protective nimbus then erupts at your foe.
Encounter * Divine, Weapon
Attack +8 vs. AC
Hit: 2d10 + 4 damage.
Special: When charging, you can use this power in place of a melee basic attack. If you charge, you gain a +4 bonus to AC against opportunity attacks you provoke while moving to the target.

Resonant Escape Avenger Utility 2
A quick prayer as you dodge calls forth divine power, which carries you a short distance away.
Encounter * Divine, Teleportation
Immediate Reaction Personal
Trigger: An enemy hits or misses you with a melee attack.
Effect: You teleport 3 squares.

Sequestering Strike Avenger Attack 3
Your attack slices into your foe and through the fabric of space, hurtling both you and the foe a short distance away.
Encounter * Divine, Teleportation, Weapon
Attack +8 vs. AC
Hit: 2d10 + 4 damage, and you teleport the target 2 squares. You then teleport to a space adjacent to the target.

Aspect of Might Avenger Attack 1
You strike a crippling blow against your foe as divine light bolsters you.
Daily * Divine, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon.
Attack: +8 vs. AC
Hit: 3d10 + 8 damage.
Miss: Half damage.
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, you gain a +5 power bonus to Athletics checks, a +2 power bonus to speed, and a +2 power bonus to teh damage rolls of melee attacks.

And then an Acidic longspear. (Adventurer's Vault)
Attacks v AC are +8. +3 at third level would mean no attribute bonus with a weapon attack, +4 would be con based attacks.

Edit> correction +3 is impossible with +2 prof (longspear) and +1 Spear and Weapon Expertise. +4 as well.

Not accounting for Attributes its +3 (Longspear is +2 prof, +1 from level)+1 for weapon+1for weapon expertise so +5 minimum. It looks like +8 to me, which fits with dex/wis..
Totally digging the half-orc racial encounter.
Totally digging the half-orc racial encounter.

That was my thought too.
I think the avenger weapon attacks are +8 not +4. (+1 lv, +2 prof, +1 enhance, +3 wis, +1(weapon expertise?)

Edit: Beat me to it...
I'm diggin the avenger, but can anybody make out the details of the shaman?(before monday that is)
First column of Shaman powers.

Call Spirit Companion Shaman Feature
Your soul reaches out to your spirit friend, which faithfully appears at your side.
At-Will * Conjuration, Primal
Minor Action Close burst 20
Effect: You conjure your spirit companion in an unoccupied square in the burst. The spirit lasts until you fall unconscious or until you dismiss it as a minor action. The spirit occupies 1 square. Enemies cannot move through its space, but allies can. When you take a move action, you can also move the spirit a number of squares equal to your speed.
The spirit can be targeted by melee or ranged attacks, although it lacks hit points. If a single melee or ranged attack deals 11 or more damage on the spirit, the spirit disappears, and you take 6 damage. Otherwise, the spirit is unaffected by the attack.

Spirit's Fangs Shaman Feature
When an enemy drops its guard, your spirit companion leaps on it, claws and fangs bared.
At-Will * Implement, Primal, Spirit
Opportunity Action Melee spirit 1
Trigger: An enemy leaves a square adjacent to your spirit companion without shifting.
Target: The triggering enemy.
Attack: +6 vs. Reflex.
Hit: 1d10 + 5 damage.

Defending Strike Shaman Attack 1
The spirit companion strikes a foe, drawing energy from the enemy and using the energy into a protective shield(?).
Standard Action Melee spirit 1
Attack: +6 vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d8 + 5 damage. Until the end of your next turn, you and your allies gian a +1 power bonus while adjacent to your spirit companion.

Stalker's Strike Shaman Attack 1
As your spirit companion claws at your foe, the spirit is filled with predatory(?) fury, becoming a greater threat to your enemies.
Standard Action Melee Spirit 1
Attack: +6 vs. Fortitude. If the target is bloodied, you gain a +1 bonus to the attack roll.
Hit: 1d10 + 5 damage. Until the end of your next turn, your spirit companion can flank with you and your allies.

Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes Deva Racial Power
Lifelike(?) memories of your previous lives lend insight to aid you.
Encouner
No Action(?) Personal
Trigger: You make an attack roll, a saving throw, a skill check, or an any(?) check and dislike the result.
Effect: You add 1d8 to the triggering roll.
Wow.

I was getting discouraged from the previews for the other PHB2 classes but then they come out with this. I am seriously blown away. The whole striker/defender hybrid (Censure of Pursuit actually keeps enemies close to you!) is probably the best use of the combat role system yet. Also, I am really glad to see the way they have played with the role mechanics, rather than just giving him +1d6 if he isolates the enemy or something. The flavor of a divine agent who singles out his foes before dispatching them with divine fervor may just make this my favorite 4e class.

I'm so happy.
And Shaman's mechanics don't stay behind by one bit...

*All my latest rolls!*

Nature's Allies

Aaaand the second column.

Healing Spirit Shaman Feature
You call to the spirits on behalf of a wounded ally, healing wounds.
Encounter (Special) * Healing, Primal
Minor Action Close burst 5
Target: You or one ally in burst.
Effect: The target can spend a healing surge. If the target does so, one ally adjacent to your spirit companion other than the target regains 1d6 hit points.
Special: You can use this power twice per encounter, but only once per round.

Twin Panthers Shaman Attack 1
Two panther spirits leap on your foes, and the panthers channel their predatory instincts through your spirit companion as that(?) it approaches nearby enemies.
Encounter * Implement, Ritual
Standard Action Ranged 5
Attack: +6 vs. Reflex (+9 against a bloodied target)
Hit: 1d8 + 5 damage. Until the end of your enxt turn, you and your allies have combat advantage when making melee attacks against any enemy adjacent to your spirit companion.
Effect: Make that attack one more time against the same target or a different one.

Bonds of the Clan Shaman Utility 2
You take on a portion of your ally's injury.
Encounter * Primal
Immediate Interrupt Ranged 10
Trigger: An ally within 10 squares of you takes damage.
Target: The triggering ally.
Effect: You and the target each take half of the damage.

Rimefire Spirit Shaman Attack 3
A spirit of ice and flame freezes and burns your foe, and the spirit's energies emanate from your spirit companion, making nearby enemies vulnerate to further attacks.
Encounter * Cold, Fire, Implement, Primal
Standard Action Ranged 5
Attack: +6 vs. Will
Hit: 2d6 + 5 cold and fire damage. Until the end of your next turn, any enemy adjacent to your spirit companion gains vulnerable 5 cold and vulnerable 5 fire.

Cleansing Wind of the North Shaman Attack 1
You call on the spirits of the frigid north to bite into your enemies and to carry your allies' ills.
Daily * Cold, Implement, Primal
Standard Action Close blast 5
Target: Each enemy in blast.
Attack: +6 vs. Fortitude.
Hit: 1d10 + 5 cold damage.
Miss: Half damage.
Effect: Each ally in the blast makes a saving throw with a +5 power bonus.

+1 Summer Growth Totem Totem Level 3+
Summer brings growth and the primal energy channeled through this item helps spawn vines that hinder your foes.
Critical: +1d6 damage, and the target is restrained until the end of your next turn.
Power (Daily): Minor Action. Each square within 5 squares of you is difficult terrain for your enemies until the end of your next turn.

---

I am PSYCHED for the shaman. :D!
Furious Assault Half-Orc Racial Power
Your monstrous wrath burns inside you, giving strength to your attack.
Encounter
Free Action Personal
Trigger: You hit an enemy.
Effect: This attack deals 1[W] extra damage if its a weapon attack or full damage if it isn't.

Wow, wait, what?! That's ridiculous, that can't be right. Am I not understanding this right? Because it looks pretty much like an auto-crit to me, maximizing your damage. That seems completely lopsided to be significantly better for implement-users.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Wow, wait, what?! That's ridiculous, that can't be right. Am I not understanding this right? Because it looks pretty much like an auto-crit to me, maximizing your damage. That seems completely lopsided to be significantly better for implement-users.

AHH! You're right!

It reads "or extra 1d8 damage if it isn't." Sorry about that.
The awesome factors on these new classes are through the roof, but almost makes me feel a little sad for my favorite class - the barbarian. After seeing the amazing striker feature on the avenger, I wish the barbarian had something a little more interesting than some extra damage tacked on to the at-wills. What do you all think?

As a side note-
It reads "or extra 1d8 damage if it isn't."

Thank goodness.
The shaman's spirit companion looks like it has some major drawbacks. 11 damage is not hard to do ... theoretically, that number increases as the character levels, either with a half-level or +1/level modifier, or by tier, or else that thing's gonna die (again) repeatedly.

On the other hand, that some of the powers lack the 'spirit' keyword leads me to believe that it's like the druid ... you can make a druid that focusses as heavily, or as weakly, on Wild Shape as you like. It seems you may be able to do the same thing with the spirit sidekick.

If this is the case, I can live with it. I don't know what it is, but so far, every class in PHB2 that I can think of has had the reaction of 'wow, this is pretty cool, except for this ONE THING that bugs the crap out of me'.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
OoOoh! Did you see Healing Spirit?? This crazy man heals two targets at once!
Plus, I'm pretty sure the requirement of the spirit companion means one beautiful thing: the multiclass feat actually gives you the spirit companion! Well, only when using the healing I guess, but still it makes for very very flavorful characters this way... I hope to be right.

*All my latest rolls!*

Nature's Allies

The shaman's spirit companion looks like it has some major drawbacks. 11 damage is not hard to do ... theoretically, that number increases as the character levels, either with a half-level or +1/level modifier, or by tier, or else that thing's gonna die (again) repeatedly.

That part's REALLY hard to read. It might not be that number exactly... I'm not sure.
Poseph- check out the full barbarian playtest, if you can. Some of the barbarian's rage effects are sickeningly good. Like automatically knocking enemies prone without an action for the rest of the encounter.
That part's REALLY hard to read. It might not be that number exactly... I'm not sure.

Plus, remember the numbers are pre-crunched. It's 11 (?) damage at 3rd level, it surely scales.

*All my latest rolls!*

Nature's Allies

Actually, its ok if the spirit dies.

Look, if the enemy who did 11 damage wasn't attacking the spirit, it would be attacking your party members. If it hits the spirit and does less than 11 damage, it really does zero damage. If it does 11 or more, the spirit dies, and the shaman takes 6, which is still better than a party member taking 11+. Plus the spirit can't be affected by status effects, and you can just re summon the spirit next round for a minor action.

In a very roundabout way, its like preventing damage.
Poseph- check out the full barbarian playtest, if you can. Some of the barbarian's rage effects are sickeningly good. Like automatically knocking enemies prone without an action for the rest of the encounter.

I'm not commenting on the power of the barbarian at all, some barbarian builds can kick out some serious DPR, at higher levels, and I know that a lot of the powers are really, really good.

@ the rage you mentioned: The devs have stated that that rage is too powerful, and they will be modifying it. This was in the same article in which they talked about a light armor incentive and the extra damage talked on to the at-wills. (When they talked about that last part, I guess I just got my hopes up.)
Plus, remember the numbers are pre-crunched. It's 11 (?) damage at 3rd level, it surely scales.

Could it possibly be healing surge value + half your level + either Constitution or Charisma modifier (as those are the only ones with +2)?
10+1/2 lvl seems more likely to me.

Shaman looks cool, Avenger looks very cool.
Wow ...

The Avenger is an awesome new take on a Striker, and I ADORE the Shaman (especially the interesting way he heals). This makes me feel really good.

... Then I look at the Barbarian. Not much has changed ... well, nothing has changed. Maybe they are just using the playtest version, but I think that would be silly of them. It depresses me when I think about how much feedback I gave and all the feedback I heard people giving on the Forums. They really don't listen sometimes.

I understand, of course. They have some sentimental ties to how the Barbarian is structured (See pg. 59 of Dragon 369), but I still find the loss of play time dedicated to raging tragic. They can (and do) excuse it all they want, but I think time will tell how horrid an oversight that truly was.

With the Artificer, we heard about real progress, with WotC listening to us and making changes, but the Barbarian was not a true playtest. This was a ploy to make us as attached to the Barbarian as the devs are. So that we would say, when we looked at the Barbarian, "I helped make that."

Don't fool yourselves. You did no such thing. WotC made it exactly as they wanted: a keepsake, useless as an enormous statue, and weighing just as heavily on Fourth Edition. In the end, we will see that the Barbarian has become only a pretty picture on WotC's wall, reminding them how their precious "black button" came into being.

Don't worry too hard, though. It would be nieve of me to believe that WotC could change anything at this point. It's printed, friends, and wasting plenty of paper before we can even dismiss it as obsolete.

Will there be Barbarians? Of course, but when PHB3 arrives on the shelves, don't expect PCs to ever look back. There will be diehards, yes, but the Bard had diehards too. Perhaps those diehards can save the Barbarian in 5th Edition just as the Bard's saved him in 4th.

You can say that there will always be nay-sayers for certain classes, but I'll say one thing: I'm sure not hearing negativity about the Avenger yet.

Well then, WotC, I hope you feel bad about what you did. We understand that you do, but, like responsible adults, it's time to clean your mess up. That's what eratta is for. Hop to it!

Yours,
Lord Dreadman
Oath of Enmity Avenger Feature
You focus your wrath on a single foe, giving your attacks against it extraordinary accuracy.
Encounter (Special) * Divine
Minor Action Close Burst 10
Target: One enemy you can see in burst.
Effect: When you make a melee attack against the target and the target is the only enemy adjacent to you, you make two attack rolls and use either resuilts.

Wow, if people thought that Righteous Rage of Tempus is strong with cleric/paladins, I can only say it will get much worse once a real striker starts using it :D
I've been looking carefully at the Avenger sheet and also at the powers and features that Ekio posted (thanks a lot!) and there is something that I keep thinking about.
Is really tha Avenger a new Striker class?
All the things we have seen seem to point in the direction of Defender as primary role. Let me explain:
- Has HP as all other Defenders (except Warden, who has more).
- Has a feature that grants a bonus to AC (same as Swordmage).
- Has also a feature that makes it great in a one-to-one duel (same as Paladin).
- Doesn´t have any mean to do extra damage.
- And also the powers, Bond of Pursuit grants the kind of stickiness one can expect from a defender, and the same goes with Sequestering Strike.
Thinking about it, I think the Avenger will be a new Defender, not a new Striker. There are other considerations:
- Avenger has never ever been confirmed a Striker. There was told there will be a Striker in a different way, but it can be either the great-waepon-wielding barbarian or the close-blast sorcerer.
- With the last days revelations of the Sorcerer as a Striker and not a Controller is even more posible that the Avenger doesn't end being a Striker.
What do you think?
Contra

1. There is no mark abilitie
2. Someone calculated the At-Will Damage of Rangers and Avengers to be equal.