Draconic Alphabet - The Iokharic font

57 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have much admired the new elven and dwarven alphabets (rellanic and davek) that were commissioned for the new 4e Players Handbook. I thought I had seen it mentioned somewhere that they had commissioned a draconic script as well, but have not heard hide nor hair of it mentioned in a good long while. This name of the alphabet in the players guide is "lokharic." My web searches have turned up practically no mention of the draconic script.

However, in perusing the new Geek Monthly magazine, issue 20 with Greg Kinnear on the cover, I came across an ad for the new Driz'zt novel by R.A.Salvatore The Pirate King on page 3. The ad is a humorous pamphlet in the style of an airline safety card titled "Pirate Safety & Emergency Procedures" which warns what to do in case of a Driz'zt attack on your pirate ship. At the top of the page in the right corner, I noticed the caption "Safety On Board" written in 4 different fonts, including English, rellanic, davek and a 4th, unknown font, which I am assuming is a sample of the yet unrevealed draconic font.

It looks pretty cool, kind of a cross between Tibetan and Arabic scripts. The characters appear to be (mostly) connected by a horizontal bar that has hash-like descenders, some straight, some curvy. It also has a few little curly queues and diagonal accent slashes that rise above the horizontal bar. A very attractive font, from what I can discern from the 11 sample letters that I have seen.

I am eager to see the whole alphabet. My guess is that it will be revealed in the forthcoming Draconomicon sourcebook. Hopefully they will have a little bit about the draconic language as well.

IIRC, they actually have a full computer font for every script in 4e. I continue to hope they'll release them to the general public (or to DDI subscribers) at some point in the future.
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.
That would be very handy for RPG purposes.

What I did for my current campaign is to copy the letters from the pdf file into word.

As soon as you have each letter copied, it's very quick to write a couple things in "dwarven" or "elven" by copy-paste.
Just thought I'd note that the script is Iokharic, not Lokharic. As in Io, the creator god of dragons (see MM p74).
Would still be nice to be able to use these fonts though.
My understanding is that they are going to be made available (at some point) as fonts that you can use. At least that is what they said in one of the GenCon blogs (see this link here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=welcome/conventions/gencon07)

I don't know when though, I imagine it will be available to DDI subscribers at some point.

Just thought I'd note that the script is Iokharic, not Lokharic. As in Io, the creator god of dragons (see MM p74).

So it is! Good catch!
Lo and behold! The draconic font is revealed in the art gallery images for the new Draconomicon book.

Gallery link here: wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4art/20081114
Image link here: wizards.com/dnd/images/Draconomicon/117680.jpg

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/Draconomicon/117680.jpg)

The font creator is Daniel Reeve who did a lot of work for the Lord of the Rings movies. I think he did an excellent job in designing the new D&D scripts. He certainly captured a look and feel for each of the iconic races.

Iokharic in particular looks like it could have been easily scratched in stone or on wood with a claw. Very fitting for a race that would more likely use their talons in lieu of a quill pen to inscribe warnings and mark their names around their lairs and such.

Now somone needs to fontify it.
For reference, his new elven and dwarven fonts can be found in the gallery for Wizards presents Races & Classes: Races & Classes art gallery

link to elven font (Rellanic): wizards.com/dnd/images/RacesNClasses_Gallery/113162.jpg
link to dwarven font (Davek): wizards.com/dnd/images/RacesNClasses_Gallery/113163.jpg

I like how the elven font looks elegant, lithe and organic, almost "art nouveau" in style. It very much captures the elven spirit:

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/RacesNClasses_Gallery/113162.jpg)

Dwarven on the other hand looks regal, imperious, and steadfast--exactly the kind of script you would expect to see carved into monuments, above triumphal arches, on tombstones and cenotaphs, and in codices of laws. Davek is superbly suited for a race that works in stone:

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/RacesNClasses_Gallery/113163.jpg)
A little googling revealed the artist has a website with some examples of his work:

www.danielreeve.co.nz

Sadly, the "font" section of his website is empty at the moment. But there is a lot of nifty art and maps and logos and such to be seen there.

I did find a link to a website for the "Dragon War Chronicles". I'm not sure if this is a coming movie, game or novel or what, I haven't really heard of it before. But the cool thing is that there is another nifty script below their logo on this page: http://www.dragonwarchronicles.com/dwcSite/index_main.html that looks pretty cool. I am assuming that Daniel Reeve designed the script for them. Looks influenced slightly by Hindi in style. While not really related to D&D, it is a very nice looking fantasy alphabet.
Wow, the fonts are actually quite nice *_*. I'm especially fond of Dwarven and Draconic.
Rellanic is used for Deep Speech too, the dark things in the far corners of the Underdark - Gith, Illithid and Kuo-Toa use Rellanic.
A couple of those look suspiciously like the numbers on a Mahjong set.

Link to a pic I googled of 1 through 9

I wonder if that was the inspiration?

Regardless, it would make some sense. Brush strokes with a calligraphy paint brush and scratchings with a claw both lend themselves to large single strokes.
That and the fact that there's only so many different ways to write stuff, so no matter how awesomely original your text is it's bound to look like something somone else has written before.
For reference, the Forgotten Realms already had an elven script that is quite beautiful. It can be found in the 3e Forgotten Realms campaign setting book. The alphabet is called Espruar and it looks like this:

IMAGE(http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o200/Chuckles_019/alphabet_Espruar.gif)
The Forgotten Realms has a dwarven alphabet too called Dethek:

IMAGE(http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/e/ef/Dethek.JPG)
The Forgotten Realms also has an alphabet for the common tongue and other human languages. It is called Thorass and it looks like this:

IMAGE(http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/3/3e/Thorass.jpg)
Why exactly are you posting this?

He's probably trying to point out the fact that it's wierd that someone reinvented the wheel. Especially since the FR Dwarven Dethek was THE Dungeon's and Dragon's Dwarven script for years, independent of setting. Not sure if that was true for the Elven one too.

Because we are all nerds who get our jollies from stuff like this
www.youtube.com/user/TheBoj0 Watch me battle pogeymanz So according to all those online things, I'm an Artifact, lv 2 Zombie with stats of 3.14, googleplex, and purple, and my personality type is LMNO. Also, I am always the comic relief character of that stupid anime you like. That sounds pretty close...
He's probably trying to point out the fact that it's wierd that someone reinvented the wheel. Especially since the FR Dwarven Dethek was THE Dungeon's and Dragon's Dwarven script for years, independent of setting. Not sure if that was true for the Elven one too.

Frankly i think the new Davek looks better. Same for the new Rellanic.

The characters look more 'individual' and different in the new ones, wheras the old ones, especially that old Elven script, they all look very similar.
I still can't believe no one's made a usable font out of this... I would, but I have absolutely NO idea of how to go about it.
Birdies!
http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/245546-iokharic-script-font.html

this kid made the font using the pics. unzip it, an save into your font library
To be honest, I think the old fonts look like crap compared to these new ones! I am particularly a fan of Davek.
To be honest, I think the old fonts look like crap compared to these new ones! I am particularly a fan of Davek.

Agreed!
Let your voice be heard! Tell WotC to Publish D&D 4e under the OGL!
http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/245546-iokharic-script-font.html

this kid made the font using the pics. unzip it, an save into your font library

SWEET!

I got bored and did some more poking around. Apparently he also created the dwarven and elven fonts.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/246242-rellanic-elven-davek-dwarven-fonts.html

:D

Casual Magic player since 2003 (Onslaught Block). 60% Johnny, 40% Timmy. Want a free, graphics-based, collection database to inventory your cards? I made one! Feedback welcome. Program runs offline, includes powerful search options, art, Oracle text, data import/export, and a rigorously updated list of every card ever printed. Version 5.13 (Theros) now available!

So. Green needs an iconic creature type, eh? How about wurms!

One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes: Share DnD-ish landscapes for use in homebrew campaigns!

So, having these fonts seems awesome to me, but I'm haviing an issue getting it to work. I've got it in my Fonts folder, but I can't use it in Writer. I use Open Office, but I have installed other fonts before and had them work, unfortunately I don't remember what I did then. Anyone got any suggestions?

EDIT: It's fixed, all from a simple reboot.
I've been waiting for the fonts to be released by Wotc, maybe as part of D&D Insider. No need to wait though: Siberys has done great work on the Iokharic font, as has Guyanthalas on the Davek (4e Dwarven) and Rellanic (4e Elven) fonts.

As nice as the fonts look in the books, they look even better as part of player handouts ;). Thanks!

Of the six scripts mentioned in the PH, we've got fonts for three. Wonder if we'll see the remaining three? Common doesn't sound too interesting; Barazhad does though and Supernal is an angelic/devilish script, so that's gotta be cool ;).

/\ Art
I've been waiting for the fonts to be released by Wotc, maybe as part of D&D Insider. No need to wait though: Siberys has done great work on the Iokharic font, as has Guyanthalas on the Davek (4e Dwarven) and Rellanic (4e Elven) fonts.

As nice as the fonts look in the books, they look even better as part of player handouts ;). Thanks!

Of the six scripts mentioned in the PH, we've got fonts for three. Wonder if we'll see the remaining three? Common doesn't sound too interesting; Barazhad does though and Supernal is an angelic/devilish script, so that's gotta be cool ;).

Personally, I hope that the "Common" alphabet is just a stylized version of the Latin alphabet. After all, that's the "common" alphabet of the vast majority of D&Ders, right? Why not keep it simple?

Barazhad! Barazhad seems cooler to me than Supernal, but I want them both, particularly with them having some kind of apparent link. I'm not sure how they would look, I could buy Supernal being very flowy and graceful, with Barazhad being bold and broad strokes. However, I kinda want Barazhad to be twisting and chaotic while Supernal is very smooth and dignified.
So, I was poking around on Daniel Reeve's website here: http://www.danielreeve.co.nz/Newsletters/

And I found that he mentioned this interesting bit in his December 18, 2007 newsletter:
"he last few of months have been very busy indeed for me, with the TORn map (which has been such a lovely project to be involved in), work on two movies (The Laundry Warrior and Underworld 3), creating a second set of the Treaty of Waitangi documents for a television documentary, and creating some more Dungeons and Dragons runes and alphabets for Wizards of the Coast. This was one of the projects I hinted at in the last newsletter. I had created three alphabets then – Dwarven, Elven and Dragon – and now I’m working on two more."

Well, I assume the last two fonts are probably Barazhad and Supernal.

Now, this was a year and a half ago, already, and we haven't seen them pop up in print, yet. But there is a big lead time required for publishing books, over a year or so, so I imagine we will see one soon. My best guess is that we will get to see Barazhad appear in the upcoming release: The Plane Below: Secrets of the Elemental Chaos due out in December 2009.

The blurb from WotC reads:
"Fiendish dungeons and elemental battlefields await...

A hotbed of adventure opportunities await you in the roiling maelstrom of the Elemental Chaos–a plane of titans, elementals, genies, slaads, and demons. This game supplement builds on the overview of the Elemental Chaos presented in the Manual of the Planes⁚ game supplement and explores the tumultuous plane in greater detail. From the City of Brass to the githzerai monastery of Zerthadlun to the spiraling depths of the Abyss, adventure lurks behind every lava waterfall, across every icy battlefield, and beyond every raging lightning storm.

This game supplement describes the Elemental Chaos in detail, featuring key locations throughout the plane. It also presents a multitude of new monsters, mighty primordials, and powerful demons, as well as adventure hooks, encounters, hazards, and everything Dungeon Masters need to make the Elemental Chaos a featured setting in their campaigns."

If so then maybe Supernal will appear in a supplement featuring the Astral Sea sometime in 2010.

It would be really nice if D&D insider would make the D&D fonts available for download on the DDI website! If any of you DDI staff see this post, please consider it!
Cool... my gnoll would love to have an abyssal script to write his journals in.
I always thought that this stuff was pretty cool; from the (alleged) "Key of Solomon," which listed a bunch of bad-ass alphabets.

In fact, the "Alphabet of the Magi" is the al;phabet spells are written in, in my game. It doesn't really have it's own "language", per se, though.

Also, this site has a lot of cool "magical" fonts, that are supposedly based on actual scripts; whether that's true or not, I don't know, but they look cool!
Birdies!
Where do I save the iokharic to?
Shaman: "Why doesn't the squirrel shoot the wizard?" DM: "Because the last squirrel who tried to shoot the wizard missed, then was pulled out of his tree and incinerated." Wizard: "He has a point."
To your 'fonts' folder. Mine is under Settings -> Control Panel -> Fonts. For simplicity, download to your desktop, then copy/paste the file once you've found the right folder; you can erase the original file from the desktop when done. Then, when you next open up a word processing program (like MS Word for instance), the iokharic font should appear in the font window. Select it and you're good to go.

Hope that helps ;).
/\ Art
To your 'fonts' folder. Mine is under Settings -> Control Panel -> Fonts. For simplicity, download to your desktop, then copy/paste the file once you've found the right folder; you can erase the original file from the desktop when done. Then, when you next open up a word processing program (like MS Word for instance), the iokharic font should appear in the font window. Select it and you're good to go.

Hope that helps ;).

Quite Right!

Alternately, do a search for "*.ttf" on your computer, then go to the folder most of them appear to lurk. Just make sure you have the "search system folders" option turned ON. This is useful if your fonts are hidden somewhere weird, which I have encountered on occasion. ;)

Looking forward to these new fonts mentioned recently. :D

Casual Magic player since 2003 (Onslaught Block). 60% Johnny, 40% Timmy. Want a free, graphics-based, collection database to inventory your cards? I made one! Feedback welcome. Program runs offline, includes powerful search options, art, Oracle text, data import/export, and a rigorously updated list of every card ever printed. Version 5.13 (Theros) now available!

So. Green needs an iconic creature type, eh? How about wurms!

One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes: Share DnD-ish landscapes for use in homebrew campaigns!

Quite Right!

Alternately, do a search for "*.ttf" on your computer, then go to the folder most of them appear to lurk. Just make sure you have the "search system folders" option turned ON. This is useful if your fonts are hidden somewhere weird, which I have encountered on occasion. ;)

Looking forward to these new fonts mentioned recently. :D

It tells me the file is in use, shows a little bar sayng installing Iokharic, it loads to 100%, the pp-up vanishes, and then... nothing. No instalation, it doesn't go into the folder, nothing.
Shaman: "Why doesn't the squirrel shoot the wizard?" DM: "Because the last squirrel who tried to shoot the wizard missed, then was pulled out of his tree and incinerated." Wizard: "He has a point."
A couple of those look suspiciously like the numbers on a Mahjong set.

Link to a pic I googled of 1 through 9

I wonder if that was the inspiration?

huh... those aren't just in Mah-jong. They're the chinese numbers

Well the five looks different from what I'm used to, what with that 'person' radical added there and the seven and four are slightly off too. I mean there's a mouth in the four!

I figure these must be a more ancient style.
58292718 wrote:
I love Horseshoecrabfolk. What I love most about them is that they seem to be the one thing that we all can agree on.
See for yourself, click here!
huh... those aren't just in Mah-jong. They're the chinese numbers

Well the five looks different from what I'm used to, what with that 'person' radical added there and the seven and four are slightly off too. I mean there's a mouth in the four!

I figure these must be a more ancient style.

Well, the chineese had those Imperial Dragons... it would be perfectly reasonable if they wrote in Draconic fonts.