Psionics power source speculation

137 posts / 0 new
Last post
There's probably already a thread on this, but two pages back and I couldn't find one. So! Onward we go.

First question is how will they port that delicious psionics flavor (ie, power points) over from 3.5, which was to me the most iconic thing about the classes.

My speculation is that classes with psionics as a power source will either have a pool of points that they can use to augment their powers in various ways, limited in some way, or they'll be able to sacrifice the use of some powers to enhance others. Given that the mechanics of a limited pool doesn't seem to fit the 4e flavor, I think the latter is a more likely mechanic.

Here's how I see it working: As with everyone else, your average Psion will have his at-wills, his encounters, his dailys, and his utilities. You can do what everyone else does during an encounter - ie, use your powers like everyone else. But several powers have an extra bit of text at the end, saying something like:

"Sacrifice the use of an encounter power: This power deals an extra +wis mod damage and the target is stunned until the end of your next round."

"Sacrifice the use of a daily power: This power's area of effect extends by two squares and deals one extra type of energy damage of your choice."

They might be able to make other sacrifices as well, such as hit points, action points, or actions, in order to power up their effects. Basically, psionics-based classes would have differing energy management than other classes.

Furthermore, the types of things psions would do would, as might be expected, be related to the mind - things like charm and domination effects, aversion affects, you name it (in addition to, well, you know, lots of psychic damage).

The real question to me is: Are the other disciplines still going to be around, or will all psions be telepaths now? I'm going to assume this is so, even if it saddens me, since there seems to be a focus on more specialization. But, who knows, maybe we'll get some Nomad or (please wizards!) Shaper in there too~

Anyway, onto the actual class speculation:

Controller: Psion. Pretty much a given; probably a lot of mind-control effects and abilities to turn foes against each other. Paragon paths -might- cover some of the other disciplines, such as psychoportation or metacreation.

Striker: Wilders. If the Psion doesn't use something similar to my proposed sacrifice mechanic, Wilders should, and should retain their somewhat unpredictable nature. Likely a lot of energy effects, possibly with an at-will Energy Ray (1 target; psionic; fire, thunder, ice, acid (see text) - hit: 1d6 energy damage of one type you choose when you use this power.) Possibly powers related to emotion as well.

Defender: Say it with me now: PSYCHIC WARRIOR *cheering erupts* Lots of mind-affecting attacks which link with marks; possibly the ability to forgo the use of encounter or daily powers for raw damage in attacks. Soulknife will be a paragon path here, as will Slayer (maybe.)

Leader: If there is a Psionic leader, it will probably be the Ardent, much to my dismay (I would much rather see something akin to Dreamscarred's Society Mind, but well, the SM belongs to Dreamscarred. c'est la vie). Will possibly have a pact system much like a warlock's but focusing on a philosophy/alignment.

Thoughts?
I think there will be no such things as augmentation nor power points in 4E. The psionic classes will be set up exactly like all the other classes. They will use the Psionic power source and will either do psychic damage for mental attacks or force damage for telekinetic attacks.

They will get 4 powers at each level when first revealed just like every other class.

I think the Telepath will be the first psionic class revealed. They will most likely be Charisma based. One of their class abilities will be natural telepathy with a VERY limited range.

Psicrystals won't come out until the Arcane familiar rules are released.
Guessing? I'll play!

First off, I'm... of mixed thoughts on what WotC will deliver. What I want to see may not be what we actually get in the final product.

What I would like to see would be some of these:
  • NO Unifying Special Mechanic. 4th Edition Design has moved away from the "Power Source X Role" grid, so there's no reason to treat psionics as unique in that regard.
  • Split Psionic classes by "Role" and concept. The following would be my preferences...
  • Telepath; Psionic Leader (minor in controller).
  • Shaper; Psionic Controller, focus on astral constructs and battlefield control, absorbs "energy" powers as well.
  • Egoist / Psychic Warrrior; Psionic Defender (minor in striker), absorbs both the Egoist discipline and general psychic-warrior-ey-ness.
  • Soulknife; Psionic Striker, absorbs the Nomad discipline.
  • NO Blended power-sources. For example...
  • NO Divine Mind. [Cleric or Paladin]/[Psionic Class] should suffice.
  • NO Ardent. [Cleric or Paladin]/[Psionic Class] should suffice.
  • Wilder as a Paragon Path, or perhaps as a specific "Multiclass-only" class option (assuming WotC doesn't both the concept wholesale in the FRPG).
  • One or two epic destinies. One that mirrors "Archmage," and another that fits better as another "universal" destiny, but this time for the Leader role.

What I'm actually expecting from Wizards is:
  • Psion class (Wizard with more psychic powers).
  • Wilder class (Warlock with more psychic powers, and a "wild" mechanic).
  • Psychic Warrior (Not sure on this one - probably similar to a cross between Fighter and Cleric).
  • Soulknife (A striker, of some kind).
  • An "Augment" mechanic for all psionic classes (or perhaps just for the Psion - who knows).
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
I very much hope that the psionic classes' flavor is closer to their roots in 1E and 2E and less so to 3.5. No energy wizard ripoff abilities for one, and hopefully no fixation with ectoplasm or pseudo-scientific terms. In short, less sci-fi.
Would love to see a psion controller that has a telepathy and a psychokinesis built with some minor leader utilities. Possibly a return of contact as a mechanic? It was clanky throughout 2E but it was always flavorful. A psychic warrior defender sounds pretty obvious, I'll agree on seeing him focus on egoist powers, though I would also like to see him very mobile. Maybe he could grab the auras from the divine mind? Also could use a name change, psychic warrior is just uninspired. Soulknife as a striker seems so natural, would be fun if he had access to a ranged built as well.
As for an augment, it could be rather easy, from a limited times per day class feature that ups damage or attack rolls to a psychic focus but only once per encounter, that you can use to activate specials out of certain powers.

I don't know about a leader tbh. Telepath has some leaderish abilities, and there have been many attempts at psonic healers as well. Eberron had a proposal about a thoughtsinger which was a psionic bard-like class (I think the Hellcow has it on his website) which could be adapted for 4th. Anyway no reason whatsoever to feel the grid, it's not compulsory in any sense.
Hmm, well sense where just on speculation here. What I feel will probably happen (sourced from reading some wizards articles from convert my character) is that will get one of two things:
Psionics will be in PHB 3 (mid 2009 earliest) or...
Psionics will get their own book do to HIGH demand (unlikely though)

What we will probably get in the PHB 3 is this:
8 new classes (Psionic, Shadow, and Ki power source)
2 will be shadow - Necromancer and Illusionist
3 will be Ki - Monk, Ninja, Samurai
3 will be psionic - Telepath, Psion, Psychic warrior

Speculation on classes:
Telepath (Leader)
-mind control, bonuses to alleys (feel like auras), healing, think psionic warlord
-Paragon Paths: Mind Bender, Seer, Wilder?
Psion (controller)
-psychic/force based powers, teleports, some energy, augmentation (power points? action points?)
-Paragon Paths: Ardent, Shaper, Nomad, Kineticist
Psychic Warrior (Defender)
-psionic paladin (without religion)
-Paragon Paths: Soul Knife, Egoist, Lurker, ????

Epic Destiny thats psionic in nature...?

Though I could see arguing that the Wilder would replace Telepath as a class and just make Telepath a paragon path...
I could also see (and would like to see) Soul Knife as it's own class with either a melee or ranged build. Though I would change it's name from soul knife to Soul Blade...but thats just me.

What do you guys think?
Wilder to me seems more like a serie of feats on paths maybe, not unlike a Barbarian...

Don't know much on the class, seemed more like a 'chaos psion' or 'psionic sorcerer', just an alternate way.
A psionic controller class would probably specialize in at least two functions:

Mind control/enchantment: Focuses on psychic damage and imposing conditions (charm and dominate, and maybe some immobilization and other effects).

Psychokinesis: Moving stuff around with your mind. Will probably deal force damage and focus on pushing/shifting enemies around the battlefield.

Utility powers will probably include mind-reading, mental communication, and levitating oneself (and/or allies) with telekinetic force.

I'm guessing that familiars will be in Arcane Power, and the psion will probably arrive in PHB3, so if the psicrystal is a familiar-type object then it would probably be there. Otherwise, crystals might be reimagined as implements for the psion.
Yeah I see the Wilder as more a paragon class.

The psion might be the base class while all the specializations like telepath, telekinetic, etc. are paragon classes.

Would love if they released the class as a preview like the artificer.
Would love if they released the class as a preview like the artificer.

we'll probably get that...maybe in like 6 months to a years time. I doubt (but am hopeful) for sooner than that as of this posting.
The Wilder makes a much better base class than Paragon Path, from a flavor perspective (not that it makes a poor Paragon Path from a flavor perspective). From a mechanical perspective, they're perfect as a Paragon Path.
An epic destiny that's psionic somehow... I think it'd have to be something like someone ascending to become a being of pure thought, perhaps slowly gaining Elan-esque traits as they go?

*e* Speaking of Elans... I know that they probably won't show up in this edition, but man I wish they would. They were my absolute favourite 3.5 race.
I hope to see Wilder as a base class. Don't care if it's in PHB III or Dragon. It's not just a Chaos X variant They also got some gishy type bonuses when the surged. I'd also like to see a Volatile Mind feature that works well.
I'm guessing that familiars will be in Arcane Power, and the psion will probably arrive in PHB3, so if the psicrystal is a familiar-type object then it would probably be there. Otherwise, crystals might be reimagined as implements for the psion.

I hope you're right in regard to this last sentence. The very basic idea of a psicrystal was cool: seed a crystal with a splinter of your personality, creating a living crystal that is as much a part of you as anything else. When they decided that they could eventually sprout little spider legs and scuttle about independently, that's when they moved into the realm of lame.

I say "NO" to psicrystals as psionic familiars. Leave them as psychic foci.
3 will be Ki - Monk, Ninja, Samurai

I really, really, REALLY hope that Wizards does NOT make the mistake of making a "Ki" Ninja and "Ki" Samurai class. A Ninja or Samurai paragon path would work well, but for heroic tier, the fighter and rogue already fill this roll more than well enough. Hell, the rogue is already awesome with sherukin. There is no need to include a "Ki" version of a martial class, just because the class has an oriental name. I'm very cool with a Ki striker class, a Ki defender class, and the like, but Ninja and Samurai should definitely NOT be what these classes are. Monk makes sense as a Ki striker or defender. Something like a Sohei might work well also. But really, a Samurai is just a fighter by a different name... same with the rogue and ninja.
Much as I like 3.5 psionics Ryuu, I'm rather wary of encouraging players to nova. Even in this edition, where a defender might have 15 healing surges, I have trouble convincing players not to hunker down and rest after an encounter where a few people blow off dailies and a few others get skinned knees.

That said, from the "Convert a Character" article and Bruce Cordell's playtest "psion," I would expect the following:

-Real psionics are coming around the time Eberron comes out, though Eberron may be first by a slight margin (I recall statements that emphasized the upcoming Kalashtar as still psychically flavored but no longer tied mechaniclly to psionic classes).
-Some kind of "augmentation" mechanic, but a minor one, possibly even in the form of feats or specific class' features. Personally, I think the at-will/encounter/daily power metric is very appropriate for psionics, as it models increaed effort --> more dramatic effects.
-Crystals still in, probably some form of implement.
-I expect there to still be explody psions. Which I'm fine with. Probably, less emphasis on element-swapping to distinguish it from the wizard, sorcerer, and upcoming "elemental" classes.
-The same or a different class will have lots of psychic damage powers, dominate and other status effects, and utilities that involve screwing with people.
-Heavy use of alt-stat builds, such as (assuming Int as primary) Con, Cha, or even others, considering that they played heavily with the idea in 3.0.

Now for even more rampant speculation (no sources):
- The psion can be essentially divided into three alternate builds or classes that people actually used. 1. Blaster. 2. Telepath. 3. Shaper (summoner with astral theme). I expect to see psion specialities go the way of spell schools (because they are the same damn thing) and seer/nomad type stuff to become utilities, rituals, etc. All of the three main types above could be described as controllers. Shaper could well be the first "dedicated" summoner class, as they will have played with the idea with ranger companions (Martial Power, Adventurer's Vault) and various Primal classes (PHBII).
- I wouldn't expect the psychic warrior to remain a self-buffer in the explicit sense. They'll come up with a new marking mechanic (even a reflavored divine challenge would actually make perfect sense) and then probably he'll look rather like a reflavored swordmage or paladin. 3 possible builds: 1. flashy explody, 2. weapon master (weapon keyword powers a la fighter), 3. reflavored self-buffing (i.e. you hit everyone burst 2, flavor text is you turn into a Form of Doom and smack them, then revert back).
- The psychic warrior, telepath, or ardent could also be used as the name for a psionic leader class. The concept is too obvious not to use immediately.
- a Psionic striker is also pretty obvious, soulknife/lurk type thing. However, since strikers are arguably the most straightforward class to build they might hold off on it if only 3 psions make it into the PHB. I will say that I'd expect to see a soulknife before a psychic-themed warlock-ish thing, much like how the PHB2 Divine Striker is apparently a 2-H weapon wielding guy.
- Don't get married to names. I'd be surprised if they actually name a class "egoist" in this edition, and even "shaper" might be a little too bland. On the other hand they may well use telepath.
-On the one hand, D&D seems very eager to cement its genre status as "high fantasy" i.e. no firearms. On the other, 3.5 psionics was such a success that if you want them to strip all the "sci-fi" out of it (i.e. you can't even deal with "telepath" or terms from modern psychology, because that's literally as close as psionics gets to sci-fi), prepare to be disappointed. Hell, there is a tattooed "wizard" waving a crystal around in a chapter illustration of the PHB.
*stuff*

Fair enough. And yes, Psionics will retain their slightly "sci-fi" flavor... though personally, I always found them to be a lot closer to some Eastern religions (buddhism, taoism, hinduism, esp hindu aesceticsm) than to the straight sci-fi types. Meh.

For the Telepath, Blaster, Shaper thing, it might be a bit like how they did the Warlock: One class (psion), three different styles/paths you can take. Maybe they'll give them different names, too... Kinetecist is still a pretty damn cool name for a blaster, but for Shaper, perhaps name them to fit more into the astral plane, and perhaps connect them to dreams more or something.

I see your point about the augmentation mechanic. It'd still be cool to have something similar in there.
here are my latest thoughts on psion:

(1) role: controller

(2) two builds:
(i) build #1 - charm/enchantment oriented build (psychic damage type) with charisma as primary/attack stat;
(ii) build #2 - illusion oriented build (psychic damage type) with intelligence as primary/attack stat;
(iii) perhaps wisdom could serve as the secondary stat, if any, for each build;
(iv) perhaps telekinesis powers (force damage type) are included in each build for variety;
I expect we will see some power point type system. You may get a number of points baised on tier each battle, 2, 3 and 4. Then you could use them to enhance powers, activate small mini powers with minor actions, or perhaps expend one to not loose a daily power on a miss.

Power sources still have subsystems. Our 2 divine classes have channel divinity. Our 2 ( complete ) Arcane classes have spellbooks. Psions can still retain their agument ability.

On another note I expect to see the Psychic Warrior and the Psion come back, not sure if there will be a third class or not. I do hope we see Astral Constructs right away, as they were one of the most distinct things about the class.
Controller: Psion. Pretty much a given; probably a lot of mind-control effects and abilities to turn foes against each other. Paragon paths -might- cover some of the other disciplines, such as psychoportation or metacreation.

Striker: Wilders. If the Psion doesn't use something similar to my proposed sacrifice mechanic, Wilders should, and should retain their somewhat unpredictable nature. Likely a lot of energy effects, possibly with an at-will Energy Ray (1 target; psionic; fire, thunder, ice, acid (see text) - hit: 1d6 energy damage of one type you choose when you use this power.) Possibly powers related to emotion as well.

Defender: Say it with me now: PSYCHIC WARRIOR *cheering erupts* Lots of mind-affecting attacks which link with marks; possibly the ability to forgo the use of encounter or daily powers for raw damage in attacks. Soulknife will be a paragon path here, as will Slayer (maybe.)

Leader: If there is a Psionic leader, it will probably be the Ardent, much to my dismay (I would much rather see something akin to Dreamscarred's Society Mind, but well, the SM belongs to Dreamscarred. c'est la vie). Will possibly have a pact system much like a warlock's but focusing on a philosophy/alignment.

Psion as a base class in 4E is limiting and uses a name that does not evoke the right imagery. 4th-edition classes do no do everything. The wizard class is, afterall, a 3rd-edition Evoker. Defenders are not High Damage, making their encounter and daily powers just "high damage" is stepping on the toes of the striker classes.

My take/hopes:

Controller: Telepath (psychic illusionist with minor tk blasts, but nothing as good as what the strikers have)

Striker (melee): Psyknife (update of the soulknife)

Striker (ranged): Kineticist (eats the Nomad and has non-element/fire/lighting blaster)

Defender: Psychic Warrior (eats the psychci shapeshifting powers and gains an awesome "you can only see me" type mark)

Leader: WarMind (balance type psi user who has both psi blasts and psi-charged melee attacks, mental links for communication and psychic infusions/morale-boosts to enhance abilities)
A Ninja or Samurai paragon path would work well, but for heroic tier, the fighter and rogue already fill this roll more than well enough.

This depends on whether you're thinking 'historical' ninjas or fantasy ninjas, and/or historical samurai or fantasy samurai.

This being a fantasy game and all ...
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I expect we will see some power point type system.

I really, really doubt we'll see points anything in 4th Ed, Psionics will not have its own subsystem like it has in the past; it will be different in other ways/implementations from other power sources.
This depends on whether you're thinking 'historical' ninjas or fantasy ninjas, and/or historical samurai or fantasy samurai.

This being a fantasy game and all ...

While I have no problem with the Ki power source, now that it is simply the power source of the soul, so it can encompass things such as Incarnum and other soul concepts, and it has been separated from a purely Asian/Oriental thing at last (thank god), I do not want it to be a catch all power source for any class with an Asian/Oriental title.

So while I think the Sohei could be a Ki Defender (the whole warrior monk thing, since the monk is most likely going to be a Ki Striker), but I see no reason for all Asian/Oriental classes to have the Ki power source, such as Shugenja or Wu-Jen.

What do you think?
Originally Posted by Steely_Dan
So while I think the Sohei could be a Ki Defender (the whole warrior monk thing, since the monk is most likely going to be a Ki Striker), but I see no reason for all Asian/Oriental classes to have the Ki power source, such as Shugenja or Wu-Jen.

I agree completely. There’s no need to slap the power “Ki” over a class, just because it’s got a Japanese name. Shugenja and Wu jen were much more tied to the five Elements of Rokugan, so they make much more sense as Elemental classes.
I agree completely. There’s no need to slap the power “Ki” over a class, just because it’s got a Japanese name. Shugenja and Wu jen were much more tied to the five Elements of Rokugan, so they make much more sense as Elemental classes.

Well that's two of us!

amen to that.
My take/hopes:

Controller: Telepath (psychic illusionist with minor tk blasts, but nothing as good as what the strikers have)

Striker (melee): Psyknife (update of the soulknife)

Striker (ranged): Kineticist (eats the Nomad and has non-element/fire/lighting blaster)

Defender: Psychic Warrior (eats the psychci shapeshifting powers and gains an awesome "you can only see me" type mark)

Leader: WarMind (balance type psi user who has both psi blasts and psi-charged melee attacks, mental links for communication and psychic infusions/morale-boosts to enhance abilities)

every class has 2 builds (at least 2 builds--i am looking at you, warlock).
therefore, psyknife and kineticist can be 2 builds of the same striker class (see ranger class).

so, too, with the psychic controller. the telepath, as you name it (good name, btw), could have one build that focuses on illusions and another build that focuses on charm/enchantments.
every class has 2 builds (at least 2 builds--i am looking at you, warlock).
therefore, psyknife and kineticist can be 2 builds of the same striker class (see ranger class).

so, too, with the psychic controller. the telepath, as you name it (good name, btw), could have one build that focuses on illusions and another build that focuses on charm/enchantments.

I was thinking the Ranger is the exception when it comes to striker builds... but I could definitely see this:

Kineticist < I just love that name... >,>;; >
Build 1: Blade Kineticist
- Soul Blade and Psychic Assassin would be Paragon Paths created to build off of this build.
Build 2: Blast Kineticist
- Pyrokineticist and Psychic Hand (telekinesis specialist) could be this build's paragon paths.

The Kineticist could even have a class feature like the warlock that dictates one of its At-Will powers...

Manifest Weapon: You pic whether your kinetic power manifests itself as a blast of psychic energy (Blast) or as a blade you wield like a light blade (Blade). When you choose your manifest weapon one of your at-will powers is determined for you. If you choose Blast your at-will is Kinetic Blast, if you choose Blade your at-will is Psychic Knife.

Kinetic Blast
Kineticist Attack 1
At-Will - Psi, Implement
Standard Action
Ranged 10
Target: 1 creature or object
Attack: Dex vs Ref
Hit: 1d8 + Int damage.
Increase damage to 2d8 + Int at 21st level.
Special: Counts as a basic attack.
Special: Counts as a one-handed weapon.
Limit: You cannot have both Kinetic Blast and Psychic Blade. If you choose the option that gives you this power your other at will attack must be a different attack power.

Psychic Blade
Kineticist Attack 1
At-Will - Psi, Implement
Standard Action
Melee
Target: 1 creature
Attack: Dex vs Ref
Hit: 2d4 + Dex damage.
Increase damage to 4d4 + Dex at 21st level.
Special: Counts as a basic attack.
Special: Counts as a one-handed weapon.
Limit: You cannot have both Kinetic Blast and Psychic Blade. If you choose the option that gives you this power your other at will attack must be a different attack power.

A Psi Implements seem like they would be special focusing crystals. Probably held or worn on bracelets, necklaces or heandband. I could easily see a Psyblade using his focusing crystals as a sort of "grip" for his psychic blade.

Kineticists would probably favor Dex and Int as their primary stats. I could also see Charisma being important, and Con for melee kinericists.
*snip*

me likes.
What do you think?

To be honest, I don't think about it much. WotC will make what WotC makes. If everything that's been traditionally asian winds up with the Ki power source, meh. I'll change it if I feel like it, not if I don't. I'm pretty laid back about it.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Why not have 2 (or more) controllers? Telepath of course, and also something that focuses on astral constucts (although I would probably not call it a Shaper).

Everyone seems quick to call out two strikers (Soulknife and Wilder/Kineticist) but why not two controllers? We currently have only one controller to choose from and lots of strikers, so balancing that out a little might be nice.

As for a psionic Leader, I would say a mix between Egoist (for healing/buffing) and Seer (for buffing/debuffing), although it would need a new name.
We currently have only one controller to choose from and lots of strikers, so balancing that out a little might be nice.

By the time we get to Psionics, we will have 2-3 more controllers already(depending on whether Primal has a controller or not), so we won't be in the same drought of controllers that we are in now.
Here's my hopes most won't come to pass, but I can dream right -

Defender = Psiblade - though not focusing only only blade weapons, a warrior that forms weapons through the power of his mind. Basically combine the soulknife and psychic warrior into one class. If anyone is familiar with the Karach blade from Planescape, it is a weapon that only exists because of the will of the user. The blade takes on different characteristics depending on what the user wills at the time. This is something that I would love to see, and I think it fits with the defender roll really well. The psiblade could have powers that focus on changing the capabilites of their psiblade or Karach blade - I would love if they used that term - It would be really cool IMHO. Imagine a power that lets your karach do a reach attack or one that lets you slash for less damage but at range. Or a power that lets your karach take on the properties of defense. I would think more 'stances' for this type of defender, but all focused on their blade. The cool thing is that the blade is a manifestation of the mind, so no one else can use it. Now keep in mind when I say blade, I don't necessarily mean it has to be a blade. It can take on whatever shape you chose, the damage would all depend on the powers, and it wouldn't have set stats.

Controller = Mentalist - focusing on giving status effects more than AoE damage. Imagine an area psychic blast that blinds opponents, or makes causes the enemy to attack it's own allies. That is what I would like to see.
Also, they can kill you with their mind.

Leader = Battlemind - basically a class that works as a conduit and linking the party together by touching their mind. Lots of buffs, and enhancing of other characters attacks/abilites - a class that uses less rolling for their own powers and more letting other characters do something. Some people do find this fun believe it or not, the warlord has an at will like that, and some of us take that power because of our sucktitude at rolling a d20.

Striker = Elocator - I saw someone had done the dromites (love those guys) and give the Elocator a paragon path, well I say why not make it a full class. A striker that focuses on temporal shifting to do more damage. Flavour wise It think that would be pretty cool. I would expect a highly mobile warrior that darts around the battlefield by speeding up their own personal time.

That's my dream psionic team as it were.
By the time we get to Psionics, we will have 2-3 more controllers

Yeah, I'm hoping for 3 more Controllers in the PHB II:

-Arcane = Sorcerer (confirmed)

-Divine = Theurge

-Primal = Witch
My room-mate came up with a pretty good thought on how we might actually see psionics built. If their isnt a power point system, even a 2-4 pp system (which would suck) I could see an augment system like this.

Each power will have a generic effect, at the bottom it might say:
Choose one-
--increase powers range by 1
--increase powers damage by 1 die

Now, thats just a sample. Other possabilities include (but not limited to)
--increase area by 1, add "blah" keyword, make it INT +2 vs Will instead of Int vs Will, or increase duration to end of encounter.

We might also see something like this combined with a LOW power point system that allows us to modify such powers by spending a power point (daily? encounter?) like healing surges?
I'd like to see Psions keep their discipline myself. Not all Espers have both telekinesis and psychoportation after all, so the disciplines keep it flavorful for each individual Psion. Perhaps make it work like the Warlock's pact feature, adding in new disciplines when and where needed (ala Dark Pact in Forgotten Realms).

I'm almost guaranteeing Psions being the controller of the Psionic characters. I'm guessing that Psychic Warrior and Soulknife will be the Defender and Striker respectively. Leader's a bit hard to pick from what we had without going into the Complete Psionic classes. Maybe we'll get something new with the change... I'd like to see a Medium myself. Why the hell Psionics didn't have a Necromancy equivalent in 3.5 when contacting ghosts is one of the trademark ESP powers is beyond me...
Pehaps the new psionic power has two points reserves of power points. Once is regained after encounter, and other daily. the psionic sciencies and psionic devotions.

Perhaps the encounter psionic power will works as temporal 3.5 incarnum power. (I like the totemist but...I don´t miss the other two class).

Soulblade? Perhaps the fusion of physic warrior and soulblade. I miss the psionic striker lurk, but ardent and divine mind could be "fused" ( I prefer the name "ardent").

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

Pehaps the new psionic power has two points reserves of power points.

I don't believe we'll see "points" anything in 4th Ed.
I think there will be no such things as augmentation nor power points in 4E. The psionic classes will be set up exactly like all the other classes. They will use the Psionic power source and will either do psychic damage for mental attacks or force damage for telekinetic attacks.

They will get 4 powers at each level when first revealed just like every other class.

I think the Telepath will be the first psionic class revealed. They will most likely be Charisma based. One of their class abilities will be natural telepathy with a VERY limited range.

Psicrystals won't come out until the Arcane familiar rules are released.

I think Askanipsion has nailed it. I don’t expect much. I think each classs will be presented with two at will powers , a variety of encounter and daily and utility powers. I am guessing, the psionic classes will do primarily psychic damage, and the telekinesis will do force damage as Askanipsion has suggested. Psionics I think will finally be fully folded into the rest of the game and will not feel tacked on. However in the process I think that any unique mechanics like power points or augmentation will be lost. I think they will keep the fluff, in terms of the names ( ectoplasm, astral construct, id insinuation, ego whip, crystal storm, etc). Well this is my two coppers so to speak.
I think I'm going to throw out an odd theory that I've had for a while. My idea is that they are going to move the Soulknife from the Psionic power source to the Ki power source.
I am guessing, the psionic classes will do primarily psychic damage, and the telekinesis will do force damage as Askanipsion has suggested.

I don't think any class is only going to do 1 or 2 types of damage anymore. They may have a primary damage type, such as psychic or force but I know some psionic powers will be doing radiant, necrotic, poison, acid, fire, lightning, thunder or cold damage.
I don't think any class is only going to do 1 or 2 types of damage anymore. They may have a primary damage type, such as psychic or force but I know some psionic powers will be doing radiant, necrotic, poison, acid, fire, lightning, thunder or cold damage.

I could see some fire-based (pyrokinesis) or lightning-based (electrokinesis) powers making the list, but too much of it will make the psion feel too much like a wizard.

Focusing mostly on psychic and force attacks will make psions/telepaths seem more unique.
Sign In to post comments