Other PHB2 Races

333 posts / 0 new
Last post
So thanks to this we now know that 3 of the races are definitely half-orc, goliath and gnome. We'd already guessed gnome (because gnoll and gnu seemed unlikely) and goliath (thanks to the cover), but half-orc seems to be definitely new (and I had been fairly vocal in saying it wouldn't happen).

Coupled with earlier clues that:
the first letters would be Gn, G, D, H and S
second letters would be o, e, and h
last letter would be r

We now know that the following bolded letters aren't for the other races:
* Gnome
* Goliath
* Half-orc

Which means the following races are possible:
* Doppleganger
* Shifter, Shadar-kai

However these leave out the clue of the second letter being e. So what possible combinations could we get using that clue? There's Derro (which coupled with Shifter uses all of the letters), however that seems exceedingly unlikely. Perhaps we'll get a brand new race with She or De?
If we do get a new race it won't be "She" because that makes the "e" the third letter.

And I find the possibility of a Derro extremely unlikely. So it sounds like maybe we'll get Shifter and and a new "De" race.
So thanks to this we now know that 3 of the races are definitely half-orc, goliath and gnome. We'd already guessed gnome (because gnoll and gnu seemed unlikely) and goliath (thanks to the cover), but half-orc seems to be definitely new (and I had been fairly vocal in saying it wouldn't happen).

last letter would be r

We now know that the following bolded letters aren't for the other races:
* Gnome
* Goliath
* Half-orc

Which means the following races are possible:
* Doppleganger
* Shifter, Shadar-kai

However these leave out the clue of the second letter being e. So what possible combinations could we get using that clue? There's Derro (which coupled with Shifter uses all of the letters), however that seems exceedingly unlikely. Perhaps we'll get a brand new race with She or De?

While half-orc is very likely, it may not be 100% official, or it may change.

I do think that we will get dopplegangers and shifters, they are relatively setting neutral, but along with gnomes and half-orcs are integral to Eberron, which is coming out in 2009 as well.

I dunno, the WotC Spring Catalogue seems pretty darn official. I mean its possible the enworld people are completely lying I guess....

Also good pick up on She not fitting. So either we've got Se and Dh (both of which would require new races) or De and Sh (which neither technically require a new race, but the De probably is). I'm glad we'll finally be getting a new race (I was hoping for something new instead of just old content updated).

Although where could I find out some more about the 3.5e Goliaths?
I wouldn't be too sure about gnomes. Gnolls seem more likely to me -- not because it would be wise (I don't think it would be), but because gnolls have got more published support under their belt right now than gnomes do. That article on Yeenoghu, and the cool artwork, is what I mean. For gnomes we have one picture and a lot of fanboy outcry.
I wouldn't be too sure about gnomes. Gnolls seem more likely to me -- not because it would be wise (I don't think it would be), but because gnolls have got more published support under their belt right now than gnomes do. That article on Yeenoghu, and the cool artwork, is what I mean. For gnomes we have one picture and a lot of fanboy outcry.

Good point about the existing Gnoll stuff, but maybe the fanboy outcry is enough to get Gnomes in.

Personally, I'd MUCH rather see Gnomes. In my opinion, they're a staple race.

Especially since the "I" class could very well be Illusionist! We can make gnome Illusionists again!

I'm under the assumption this is a joke post. Why would WotC focus on a CE race of demon worshipers rather than a race that has been part of the circle of player races forever?
Poe's Law is alive and well. Emerikol is right*
I'm pretty sure of Gnome, Goliath, Half-orc and Shifter which leaves only a De race for which I'm holding out for a celestial race.

Bel
Originally Posted by WotC_RichBaker In related news, I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate your 3.5 rulebooks, and force you to convert to the new edition. Where do you live?
I'm pretty sure of Gnome, Goliath, Half-orc and Shifter which leaves only a De race for which I'm holding out for a celestial race.

Bel

Perhaps the race we'll see in the Manual of the Planes? I'd prefer not, but anything is possible.
Perhaps the race we'll see in the Manual of the Planes? I'd prefer not, but anything is possible.

I had quite forgotten about that, thanks JL!

Bel
Originally Posted by WotC_RichBaker In related news, I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate your 3.5 rulebooks, and force you to convert to the new edition. Where do you live?
I dunno, the WotC Spring Catalogue seems pretty darn official. I mean its possible the enworld people are completely lying I guess....

I didn't read the whole thing, only the first post which didn't mention the spring catalogue. However, I still stand by saying that it may not guarantee that half-orcs will be in. The cover of the players handbook changed before release, content can change as well.
Also good pick up on She not fitting. So either we've got Se and Dh (both of which would require new races) or De and Sh (which neither technically require a new race, but the De probably is). I'm glad we'll finally be getting a new race (I was hoping for something new instead of just old content updated).

Although where could I find out some more about the 3.5e Goliaths?

I don't know if it will be a completely new race, perhaps they have just renamed the aasimar to something else. Or, the information we've been given about races has changed. The powers that be may just be watching these forums and giggling.:P

I believe goliaths were found in races of stone.
> Why would WotC focus on a CE race of demon worshipers rather than a race
> that has been part of the circle of player races forever?

I could see it from the standpoint that gnolls fit the primal source, particularly if they expand the race to incorporate some of the wilderness-oriented (and not necessarily evil) material from 3E.

Gnomes are also a possibility for the primal source, but then again, they would fit the shadow source too (especially since they still seem to have a fondness for illusions) - and that source is left for a later PHB, which would mean that the gnomes might get deferred to the same.

So while I still think that gnomes are more likely, it's not beyond imagining that we get gnolls in the PHB2 and gnomes in the PHB3+.
I'm under the assumption this is a joke post. Why would WotC focus on a CE race of demon worshipers rather than a race that has been part of the circle of player races forever?

Cause all ways following tradition is stupid and Gnoll>Gnomes.
Good point about the existing Gnoll stuff, but maybe the fanboy outcry is enough to get Gnomes in.

Personally, I'd MUCH rather see Gnomes. In my opinion, they're a staple race.

Especially since the "I" class could very well be Illusionist! We can make gnome Illusionists again!

I don't think the Illusionist since Arcane Power confirms the Arcane classes to be Sorcerer and Bard (plus swordmage from FR). My money is on the I being Inquisitor.
So while I still think that gnomes are more likely, it's not beyond imagining that we get gnolls in the PHB2 and gnomes in the PHB3+.

So being advertised as being in the book in a catalogue sent out by WotC is only enough to make Gnomes "more likely" and not a definite to you?
I know Shifters are more likely, but I'd really like to see some 4e support for Shadar-Kai..
I know Shifters are more likely, but I'd really like to see some 4e support for Shadar-Kai..

I know quite a few people like the Shadar-Kai, but I'm not too fussed on them myself. I definitely wouldn't want one as a player.
Shadar-Kai are more likely to come out in PHB III along with the Shadow power source.

Bel
I'm certain we'll see Shadar-Kai eventually. However, for PH2, bet on:
[indent]Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Shifter, and Doppelganger.[/indent]
It's just the smartest bet.

I fully agree. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Since Eberron is coming out in 2009, the same year as PHB2, and 4 out of 5 of those races have important places in Eberron but can easily be added to ANY campaign, these races will most likely be in PHB2.

Except that doesn't have any races that have 'e' as a second letter, so one of them has to be wrong or there have to be more races then have been hinted at so far(I'd prefer the second, but for speculative purposes I'll assume the former). I'm going to go with shifter being the incorrect one and Seraphim, one of the proposed Aasimar renames, being in there instead.

what about deva, instead of doppleganger, as a playable aasimar-equivalent race?
I'm going to go with shifter being the incorrect one and Seraphim, one of the proposed Aasimar renames, being in there instead.

In that case your no longer using h for a second letter so we have to have a Dh race.
In that case your no longer using h for a second letter so we have to have a Dh race.

....Dang it, my bad. I'm just going to support MaximumHavoc's theory because it works a whole lot better then anything I could come up with(although I still prefer Seraphim as the new Aasimar name).
Used to use Dharmir as some half vampire/half humans if that helps

Lerin
Goliath- this race doesn't interest me as a player, but as a dm I find them alright. Not a bad choice. (I really wanted Gnoll, but knew they'd stick to human looking races)
Gnome- We kinda needed these. Was an obvious choice.
Half-Orc- Do we need these as a core race? Never cared for them, or half-dragons, half-giants, half-anything. A half-orc is a human to me. Rather have orc here. They just don't want the monstrous races to be core pc ones.
From the cover of the PHB2 it looks like it may be a fey or shifter. So, Shifter makes sence. Not a fan of Shifters, but oh well. (a good toned down lycanthrope)
D will likely be Doppleganger. They talked about how they concidered Changeling for PHB 1. Since they're the same now, Doppleganger is good bet.

I was kinda hopeing H would have been the new Aasimar or even Hobgoblin. Though it don't make too much sence to have a Hobgoblin without a Goblin.
what about deva, instead of doppleganger, as a playable aasimar-equivalent race?

Honestly, of all of my guesses, doppelganger is the one I'm least sure of, so maybe you're right. But I'm still pretty sure of doppelganger.

I'm excited about the new "angel" race, especially if they're at all like the new angels! I guess I can see "Deva" as the racial name, but it reminds me too much of "diva". (It's easier to imagine when I focus on the Hindu interpretation.)
they also iirc were saying that the doppleganger and changling were the same thing........
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
they also iirc were saying that the doppleganger and changling were the same thing........

...Yes.
Except that doesn't have any races that have 'e' as a second letter, so one of them has to be wrong or there have to be more races then have been hinted at so far(I'd prefer the second, but for speculative purposes I'll assume the former). I'm going to go with shifter being the incorrect one and Seraphim, one of the proposed Aasimar renames, being in there instead.

I'm gonna go with, "The 'e' was mentioned in error." :P

Remember, the number of "b"s and "r"s was wrong, so why not "second-letter 'e's"?
the E could be Seraphim

which would be the celstial
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
last letter would be r

How about:
Genasi
Gnome or Gnoll
Doppleganger
Half-Orc
Shifter
the E could be Seraphim

which would be the celstial

I would love that to be true. I have always wanted to play a celestial without all the level adjustment that is no longer present in 4E
I'm gonna go with, "The 'e' was mentioned in error." :P

Remember, the number of "b"s and "r"s was wrong, so why not "second-letter 'e's"?

While true, they did correct the other errors within a few weeks(actually might have been days, but I'm too lazy to check). They have yet to do so with any of the second letters, so I am going to assume that the letters are correct......or they are playing a trick on us(although one B for classes would have been better if they were going to try to play a trick).

How about:
Genasi
Gnome or Gnoll
Doppleganger
Half-Orc
Shifter

*slams his forehead on his keyboard* Gensai are in Forgotten Realms Player's Guide, and we have Goliaths confirmed for PHB2.

Definitely possible. Although you think he would have corrected it by now.

How about:
Genasi
Gnome or Gnoll
Doppleganger
Half-Orc
Shifter

We already know what Gn, H and Go are.

The game store here, which I am good friends with the owner, showed me the same thing. He knows I am a big half-orc fan. Made me happier then a pig in heat.
Makes sense with the barbarians being in the same book.

I do think that we will get dopplegangers and shifters, they are relatively setting neutral, but along with gnomes and half-orcs are integral to Eberron, which is coming out in 2009 as well.

With Ebberon coming out a few months after the PHB, I don't see them blowing their load with the races. I think the S one is going to be the new assimar (spelling), but named something we have not heard before, and I think the D one is going to fall under the same category.

There is a gnome on the cover, and a goliath. That is the most confirmed it gets...

Wouldn't they make more sense in the shadow power source book! You're kidding yourself if you think they are primal.

From the cover of the PHB2 it looks like it may be a fey or shifter. So, Shifter makes sence. Not a fan of Shifters, but oh well. (a good toned down lycanthrope)

Um, the picture of the cover is a gnome (druid presumably), and a golith! There is no shifter!

How about:
Genasi

Already in the FR players guide!
Um, the picture of the cover is a gnome (druid presumably), and a golith! There is no shifter!

I've heard a lot of speculation about what the other creature is and this is the first I've heard about it being a gnome. Its certainly possible, but by no means definite. Have you got an official source saying what race it is?
Gnome makes sense, actually. I didn't think about it before, 'cause that's not my typical view of a gnome, but if you look closer she's got the hair twigs thing going on like the MM gnome.
I've heard a lot of speculation about what the other creature is and this is the first I've heard about it being a gnome. Its certainly possible, but by no means definite. Have you got an official source saying what race it is?

Educated guess with some sound reasoning...

IMAGE(http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/romc74/products_dndacc_9780786950164_lgpic.jpg)

It looks like the gnome in the MM.
Gnome has been confirmed in the book, as the OP posted...
Looking at the image the woman is somewhere between 3 and 4 foot, (last I checked shifters were human sized, this is much more halfling sized), based on it's height to the golith and the size of the pumas (ghosts) next to it.

Add them all up and one gets - gnome! Or they made another race with gnome like dimensions that fills the same nitch in the world which would be a real cop-out if you ask me!
Definitely possible. Although you think he would have corrected it by now.

I dunno about that, John. They're not under any obligation to release hints or spoilers, especially eight months ahead of time.

I expect the races of PH2 to be relatively familiar: Doppelganger, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Shifter.
I wouldn't be too sure about gnomes.

I thought gnomes were confirmed