Elemantal power source?

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
How do you think it's going to look?
maybe a class for every classic elemant, I also had a nice thought of the duskblade as elemantal striker (Fire Elemant )

Thoughts people?
Hmm..

Earth - Defender
Fire - Striker
Water - Leader
Air - Controller

I can see it working... although giving the classes a Warlock's Pact type feature that requires them to choose an element works too.
I was wondering about this myself. I would think something like Defender=Earth class, Striker=Air class, Leader=Water class, and Controller=Fire class is far too limiting. Perhaps even the four Classical elements is too limiting. Would Wu-Jen need a different power source because they draw from five elements instead of four?? That threatens redundancy, at least first glance.

If they can make the Elemental power source focus around drawing power from essential substances or materials, that might strike the right balance between broad and narrow.

Edit:
Haha...just saw post #2. :P Another reason what I mentioned as too limiting would be so....People will have different interpretations of what the elements symbolize and how they can function.
I was wondering about this myself. I would think something like Defender=Earth class, Striker=Air class, Leader=Water class, and Controller=Fire class is far too limiting. Perhaps even the four Classical elements is too limiting. Would Wu-Jen need a different power source because they draw from five elements instead of four?? That threatens redundancy, at least first glance.

If they can make the Elemental power source focus around drawing power from essential substances or materials, that might strike the right balance between broad and narrow.

Edit:
Haha...just saw post #2. :P Another reason what I mentioned as too limiting would be so....People will have different interpretations of what the elements symbolize and how they can function.

It will be problematic as they need the materials in the first place and it might make them impossable to play.
maybe a aspacts of elemants or combinations will make it more playble, still I see your point.
Controler - Sha'ir?

Striker - Sorcerer?
Controler - Sha'ir?

Striker - Sorcerer?

No becuse sorcerer is confirmed as arcane controllers
Then, Sha'ir - those elemental and genies-using mages of al-Quadim - could be the Wizard's equivalent. Maybe Shugenja as the Cleric's? And/or something inspired by Athasian Clerics...

Where?

I'm disappointed. Upon reading through the material, seeing Sorcerer as a kind of "wild" controller of the Elemental Chaos would be more fun. It would give them such a greater presence separate from the Wizard, while still allowing them to do very "sorcererish" things (flinging fireballs and flying around all mad and crazy.... well, that's what MY 3.5 Sorcs used to do....)
Then, Sha'ir - those elemental and genies-using mages of al-Quadim - could be the Wizard's equivalent. Maybe Shugenja as the Cleric's? And/or something inspired by Athasian Clerics...

Interesting, Ubber. I wonder if they could come up with a single class that can enfold shugenja and Athasian clerics without killing flavor. Hm...food for thought.

Oh, another morsel....what the heck would an elemental striker be? The role that is not filled out by the elemental power source, maybe? :P

FYI to anyone who hasn't seen it yet, here's a listing of quotes/sources/hints about future classes (thanks to Ondo):
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?p=4175050.
Elemental might be the demologists. I.E. WoWlocks.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

Interesting, Ubber. I wonder if they could come up with a single class that can enfold shugenja and Athasian clerics without killing flavor. Hm...food for thought.

I have seen some Dark Sun DMs using the Shugenja to replace clerics (for 3,X) in the setting, albeit with possible modifications. Hum....
I think it will look just like all the other classes and will have powers that do exactly the same thing as all the other classes, with differing flavor texts. How exciting!
It will be problematic as they need the materials in the first place and it might make them impossable to play.
maybe a aspacts of elemants or combinations will make it more playble, still I see your point.

Would the Elemental power source need to define the specific elements drawn upon? I'm not sure this is necessary. How's this for a power source description?

Elemental: Elemental powers manipulate the basic materials and energies from which the cosmos itself was created. By summoning, transforming, and even breaking apart these essential building blocks, elemental characters such as shugenja and wu-jen can create water, reshape objects, or cause the ground to erupt in flame. Most theories conceive of four or five basic elements of creation, but other interpretations are possible. Elemental powers are called .
I think it will look just like all the other classes and will have powers that do exactly the same thing as all the other classes, with differing flavor texts. How exciting!

It's not quite that. Each class follow a same vague and rough set of outlines, but each is also clearly delimited and distinct in roles, powers and acting.

A very robust, fair and equilibred system.

Where?

I too am interesting in know the source here. From reading about the designers' interest in making each class unique and their admission that the sorceror was pretty much a variant wizard, i was kind of thinking they might make it something different from the same powersource/role combo.
I too am interesting in know the source here. From reading about the designers' interest in making each class unique and their admission that the sorceror was pretty much a variant wizard, i was kind of thinking they might make it something different from the same powersource/role combo.

Post #9. :P And yes, sorcerer as elemental (or primal) controller seems viable and even cool and appropriate, IMHO, but the 4e rollout hasn't had much in the way of feinting or surprise. Based on that, since they've hinted it will be an A/C (haha) it probably will be an A/C.
Ooo. I missed that. lol

Im kinda disappointed that the sorceror was a last-minute wizard clone in 3E and yet they are sticking it in the same place as the wiz in this edition. I hope they do something drastic to make it stand out.
It's not quite that. Each class follow a same vague and rough set of outlines, but each is also clearly delimited and distinct in roles, powers and acting.

A very robust, fair and equilibred system.

Robust surely not. Fair i might concede. Balanced without question. But sorely lacking in detail and options.
I'm not so sure that the classes will be pigeonholed into being element-specific, such as a "fire mage" or the like. That kind of overly narrow focus creates problems in D&D, even if it's a common trope in fantasy generally.

I wouldn't count on the four classical elements (air, earth, fire, water) being the defining aspect of the power source either. At the very least, things like storms/lightning and ice also seem to be considered "elemental" too (and not merely subtypes of one of the four, thanks to the breaking of the cosmological symmetry).
Robust surely not. Fair i might concede. Balanced without question. But sorely lacking in detail and options.

Depends on what class your playing. If your a wizard, your right. If your a fighter, rogue, paladin, ranger, or warlock, theres way more depth and many more viable options now. They had to save a little space cutting out the 1001 options of the spellcasters so the other classes could have some toys to play with.
According to Rich Baker in the Ask thread over in the FR forum, the Genasi are not divided by any particular elements, but are an amalgam of all the elements.
Perhaps the elemental classes would work the same way. But it would be interesting to see the defender using a flesh to stone type power to increase AC or DR.

Bel
Originally Posted by WotC_RichBaker In related news, I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate your 3.5 rulebooks, and force you to convert to the new edition. Where do you live?
According to Rich Baker in the Ask thread over in the FR forum, the Genasi are not divided by any particular elements, but are an amalgam of all the elements.
Perhaps the elemental classes would work the same way. But it would be interesting to see the defender using a flesh to stone type power to increase AC or DR.

Bel

I read that too and it seems incredibly odd next to the 2 shifter variants in the MM. I wonder if all the shifter types will get consolidated in the ECS.
well, i heard through the grapevine that to set sorcs apart, they would gain a residual magic affect depending on the spell they cast.
i'm thinking something like after a fireball, anything that tries to hit you for a turn or so takes xd6 fire dmg or the like

onto the topic of elements, i feel they would take the same turn that they did with the monsters, only a step further. i think that most of the powers would affect at least 2 elements.

to be more specific, i think the classes for the power source (assuming the follow the 2 class pattern for all but martial so far)
one would be most likely a leader and a controller.
the leader would be primarily using the elements to benefit the party.
light a weapon on fire here, create earthen armor there, maybe even turning someone insubstantial like thunder, or quick and untouchable like lightning.

the controller would be unique, very unique.
powers that you choose the element*like the energy powers in psionics* but actually change. a ball of thunder adds a knock back, while water would immobilize for example. or, possibly, doing different things depending on the elements available. the pp would focus on probably a pair or elements, but other than that it would be free range. the elements would be different than normal as well.
thunder, lightning, water, fire, earth, wood, steel, wind*might be thunder, or be like force*, radiant, nacrotic.(cant forget those are parts of the world, therefore elements)
the pp's would go like this, most likely.
wind/lightning
water/wood
radiant/fire
nacrotic/steel
earth/thunder

but, then again, most of that was thought up in the last 15 minutes or so, but its definitely open to tweaking.
if its not at least as cool as this, i'm just gonna homebrew this anyway.
Fireball is a Wizard spell, and auras deal set amounts of damage.
I think that the Elemental power source will be a complement to the Divine power source. Where Divine casters draw magic from gods and astral beings, Elemental casters draw magic from primordials and elemental beings. I think it could be sweet. I'm betting the sorcerer will be in this power source.
Fireball is a Wizard spell, and auras deal set amounts of damage.

it was an example......
and besides, flameburst armor does a number of dice to creatures that attack you, not all things deal set dmg.
Wu Jen = Elemental Controller
For all elements.
Don't think they'll make classes with Elemental if they're gonna separate into 4 elements.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/toee/0c192c1cefb74a2a598eb6d51c35fdc7.jpg)
57117398 wrote:
You blew me apart. That's not necessarily fatal.
http://iris.alphachat.net/?uio=d4&channels=gleemax Chat for all you folks. Rude and Azuro, you two especially. Get on chat more.
How do you think it's going to look?
maybe a class for every classic elemant,

Hmm..
Earth - Defender
Fire - Striker
Water - Leader
Air - Controller

Hmm, I think not. I recall reading something in one of the preiview articles (the one on Archons I believe), that implied the designers are rather proud of disassociating with the classical greek elements. I admit to some sadness on my part, after reading that.

Really? Where? I am a tad dissapointed. I was hoping they'd be arcane leaders.