New Pacts/Powers?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is a HUGE question for one of my players, he is an infernal warlock, great roleplayer, but stubborn as an ox. All three pacts have holes that one can patch by taking from other pacts and possibly reflavoring, but player instead INSISTS that Forgotten Realms will introduce new pacts/powers his character can "invest wholly into" , essentially he feels picking and chosing from PHB1 what is useful will eventually make all warlocks to same up to level 10 if you swore yourself to a demon or to a pssed off tinkerbell.....

So: Summary: Any idea if Forgotten Realms will have more spells and such or is it entirely flavor and that 1 multiclass class...
It's an interesting enough question, I'm not sure if there will be such content in the FR books, however if he can hold out for the Arcane power book his patience may be rewarded.

Bel
Originally Posted by WotC_RichBaker In related news, I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate your 3.5 rulebooks, and force you to convert to the new edition. Where do you live?
Considering that it says in the class description that Warlocks don't need to only take spells from their initial pact any more than a fighter needs to only use a pick because she took a power that has a bonus if you use it with a pick...

...I dunno man. The fluff's loose enough that I'd just let him change the name and add an infernal-sounding description to the other powers, if he's going to be that way about it. I'm not a doctor, though.
So: Summary: Any idea if Forgotten Realms will have more spells and such or is it entirely flavor and that 1 multiclass class...

No new spells or pacts in the FR books(based off of what they have said at least). It will consist of flavor, Swordmage, the spellfire class(the multiclass one), an epic destiny, and probably a considerable number of paragon paths.
I think its possibly, though maybe not likely, that the various campaign books will add new powers/pacts/etc. for the existing classes.

Then again, some settings simply require new powers/pacts/etc. for the existing classes. (such as Planescape)
Arcane Power will have at least one new pact and powers for the existing pacts. One of my goals with the book was to make sure each pact gets multiple options at every level. Development has this goal in mind, too, but keep in mind it can be really tough to juggle those powers into the proper places given a limited page count and varying strengths of the powers.

Setting books, as a rule, don't usually expand the existing classes much, but if a new pact really fits well with a setting, it could appear in the book.
Logan Bonner, freelance game designer Blog: http://loganbonner.blogspot.com Twitter: http://twitter.com/loganbonner
Nice to hear about Arcane Power. I'm also hoping to see some extra options in Dragon, like the Wizard saw with the Illusion powers, though I'm not necessarily going to hold me breath waiting for it.

Regardless, the Warlock is the class that initially got me really invested in 4E, and I look forward to seeing how its options develop over time.
Arcane Power will have at least one new pact and powers for the existing pacts. One of my goals with the book was to make sure each pact gets multiple options at every level. Development has this goal in mind, too, but keep in mind it can be really tough to juggle those powers into the proper places given a limited page count and varying strengths of the powers.

Setting books, as a rule, don't usually expand the existing classes much, but if a new pact really fits well with a setting, it could appear in the book.

Does this mean new paragon path as well for the new pact?
Probably it would, otherwise it wouldn't be able to take a warlock paragon path.

I'm more interrested in new epic destinies though.
Probably it would, otherwise it wouldn't be able to take a warlock paragon path.

I'm more interrested in new epic destinies though.

Those would be nice too, but I am jsut having a hard time seeing why these paragon paths exist in the way they do or make a connection or reason to use them with their connection to the pacts themselves.

Maybe I missed it when I had read the "fluff" section about the warlock and the pacts?

Thanks Logan for the info! :D The warlock is definitely my favorite class in 4E.
I really like the Warlock, but I find that i am leaning more toward a Warlord class for myself. I really like what I have read about the Warlord, But I will say that in the 20 or so encounters my group has played through the Warlock has owned the battle field and saved the day with powers like Diabolic Grasp!
Based on the Bazaar article, my bet is that the new pact will be Draconic.
I guess that it kinda makes sense seeing as we used to have draconic invocations back in 3.x.