Newb question, sorry.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have been reading the forums now for a bit, and I see ppl talking about the PHB II. What exactly will this be? Is it just an addition to the PHB or is the the PHB plus revision and changes? Is it going to be the equivalent to the "revised" PHB from 2e? I guess I just don't really understand where it falls into the grand scheme of things. And just for my own knowledge are they going to be doing the same thing in the MM2? Or is it just a revised book as well?

Sorry for the questions but any help you all might could give would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I have been reading the forums now for a bit, and I see ppl talking about the PHB II. What exactly will this be? Is it just an addition to the PHB or is the the PHB plus revision and changes? Is it going to be the equivalent to the "revised" PHB from 2e? I guess I just don't really understand where it falls into the grand scheme of things. And just for my own knowledge are they going to be doing the same thing in the MM2? Or is it just a revised book as well?

Sorry for the questions but any help you all might could give would be appreciated.

Thanks.

There is nothing wrong with questions. What we know so far (or, rather, what we think we know based on info from WotC) is that no new core classes will be released in supplements, only in campaign books titled "player's guide to . . ." or in the core books entitled "Player's Handbook [X]." The reason people are excited about PHBII is that (supposedly) they will be adding in some classic classes that had gone missing in the PHB, including (hopefully) barbarians, bards and druids.

This will probably be accompanied by new races, new feats, paragon paths, and perhaps magic items, equipment and perhaps new skill uses.

All other class-based supplements look to deliver new powers, feats, items and paragon paths to the established PHB classes.

In 4.0 there aren't just 3 Core rules books with supplements that have to conform to rules wise. PHB II will be adding core classes that were omitted from the PHB. In order to play and have complete core rules you'll have to purchase anything that is a new core book. This is how they will revise the version of the game without changing the version #. ie: 4.0 to 4.25. It is a way to ensure continued revenue stream as the new core books aren't optional like the 3.x splat books.
In 4.0 there aren't just 3 Core rules books with supplements that have to conform to rules wise. PHB II will be adding core classes that were omitted from the PHB. In order to play and have complete core rules you'll have to purchase anything that is a new core book. This is how they will revise the version of the game without changing the version #. ie: 4.0 to 4.25. It is a way to ensure continued revenue stream as the new core books aren't optional like the 3.x splat books.

Got PHB 1?
DMG 1?
MM 1?

Check? Then your good to go you have the core rules and all you need to play.

Want additional classes and races buy the PHB 2+, you'll be getting them here along with other character add ons like feats and such. As completely optional as the numerous race/class splat books (and others) that have always been popular with players.

Oh, and their as completely optional as the aforementioned numerous splat books, which is to say entirely up to you and your group.

Just a different format to do the same thing they've always done

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." - Nietzsche

TSR Worlds

Alternity

Birthright

Got PHB 1?
DMG 1?
MM 1?

Check? Then your good to go you have the core rules and all you need to play.

Want additional classes and races buy the PHB 2+, you'll be getting them here along with other character add ons like feats and such. As completely optional as the numerous race/class splat books (and others) that have always been popular with players.

Oh, and their as completely optional as the aforementioned numerous splat books, which is to say entirely up to you and your group.

Just a different format to do the same thing they've always done

I think what Kursk means is perhaps that future splatbooks after new core books will include rules that referance all core books, rather than just the PHB. So this means we can look forward to the same feat NOT being printed 30 times (I'm lookin at you goad!) and overall more synergy in the game since the writers can assume that all (or at least most) players buying x book will have y books and not just the MM DMG and PHB. Sounds good to me in any case.
Sign In to post comments