2009 Releases

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Products section of the D&D site has new stuff!
Along with the announced Open Grave undead supplement (Jan) and the Dungeon Delve (Feb) are four new books.
1) Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress (Adventure) March, 2009. I assume this is P3 even though it doesn't say it, as E1 is out one month later.
2) Player’s Handbook II (Core Rulebook) March, 2009. They split the difference between Jan and Jun.
3) E1 Death’s Reach (Adventure) (21-24) April, 2009. I wonder if they will keep pumping out adventures at this pace?
4) Arcane Power (Rules Expansion) April, 2009. Now we're talking!

More speculation?

Bel
Originally Posted by WotC_RichBaker In related news, I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate your 3.5 rulebooks, and force you to convert to the new edition. Where do you live?
Which will appear first, Monster Manual 2 or DMG 2? I'm picking the former.
2009 looks good so far.

Looks like PHB2 is gonna have Arcane, Divine and Primal classes.

Probobly at least two arcane classes so that when Arcane Power comes out the next month you have four classes to add new options to. Probobly two more divine classes and maybe even four primal classes. Which would bring the total number of classes to eight. With that, it looks like there will be four classes per power source. Which sets up Primal Power and Divine Power books.

Very excited!!
2009 looks good so far.

Looks like PHB2 is gonna have Arcane, Divine and Primal classes.

Probobly at least two arcane classes so that when Arcane Power comes out the next month you have four classes to add new options to. Probobly two more divine classes and maybe even four primal classes. Which would bring the total number of classes to eight. With that, it looks like there will be four classes per power source. Which sets up Primal Power and Divine Power books.

Very excited!!

Good eye! I didn't even notice that, well there's going to be some revisions going on in the various PHBII class threads!

Bel
Originally Posted by WotC_RichBaker In related news, I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate your 3.5 rulebooks, and force you to convert to the new edition. Where do you live?
I'm thinking they'll probably go all the way to E3 with the adventure modules and stop. That will provide an entire campaign all the way through the end of Epic level. Not to mention provide a nice fleshing out of the "Points of Light" setting.
Looks like they're gonna release some interesting stuff... I just hope they take the tiny bit of effort to put a recommended price for the UK on some of these things, rather than just prices for the US and Canada...
Wait a minute, why isn't the DMG or MM coming out in April?
Maybe they're trying to spread them throughout the year. Or it could be they just haven't been put up yet. That's still a pretty rough list without images or descriptions for several things.
Much like 3.5E, a DMG2 seems like a waste of talent. If there was truely something to be said other than what is in the DMG why isnt it in there, the page count is down so its not the lack of space.

Now monster manual books I really love and race books took, there the dragon book due out soon and now there an undead book, nice.
Good eye! I didn't even notice that, well there's going to be some revisions going on in the various PHBII class threads!

Bel

Huh? There's no description, and the cover art has only two characters I can see. Where did he/she get "arcane, divine, and primal"?
Rob Bodine @gsllc Convention Coordinator, synDCon @synDCon http://synDCon.net/ 4th Edition Dungeon Crawls: http://me.lt/2y0xi
With that, it looks like there will be four classes per power source.

More then that, actually. We'll also be getting the Swordmage (Arcane Defender) in the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide and the Artificer (?) in DDI next month. So by the time the PHB2 is released, we'll have 18 classes. So we're probably looking at 5 Arcane classes in addition to four for the other three power sources. No idea what power source the Artificer is gonna fall under, though. It'll probably be Arcane, too, but I'm hoping for Martial, myself.

Either way, from the looks of things, it appears that they'll only release a "______ Power" book after they've released all the classes they're going to release for that power source. That's why Arcane Power isn't coming out til after the PHB2, as all the Arcane classes won't be out til then. Well, hopefully the PHB2 will have all the Divine and Primal classes, too, as I'd really like to get my hands on the Divine Power and Primal Power books.
Huh? There's no description, and the cover art has only two characters I can see. Where did he/she get "arcane, divine, and primal"?

Take a good look right under where it says "Player's Handbook 2". Beneath that it says "Arcane, Divine, and Primal Heroes".
Take a good look right under where it says "Player's Handbook 2". Beneath that it says "Arcane, Divine, and Primal Heroes".

Uh, yeah; that's a pretty good catch.
Rob Bodine @gsllc Convention Coordinator, synDCon @synDCon http://synDCon.net/ 4th Edition Dungeon Crawls: http://me.lt/2y0xi
Maybe they're trying to spread them throughout the year. Or it could be they just haven't been put up yet. That's still a pretty rough list without images or descriptions for several things.

If I remember correctly, the release of PH1, DMG1, and MM1 were supposed to be staggered, starting in April. I would assume they are releasing these by this original schedule in the future.

Much like 3.5E, a DMG2 seems like a waste of talent. If there was truely something to be said other than what is in the DMG why isnt it in there, the page count is down so its not the lack of space.

Now monster manual books I really love and race books took, there the dragon book due out soon and now there an undead book, nice.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the DMG2. Now that they have covered the "basics of DMing", they can focus on more the "putting together your game" stuff.

I am looking forward to more NPC kits. Also, I'm hoping for some rules and guidelines to creating powers for your NPCs. Some basic guidelines for creating new character classes, races, powers, etc. There is a lot of tools they can still give the DM.
I think the DMG II will expand on some of the topics presented in the 1st dmg, Aerial, Aquatic, Mounted and Underground rules. Not just for combat either, but for skill challenges, adventure building and traps.
It may also touch on different enviornments like the 3.5 splats Frostburn, Sandstorm and Seawrack.

Bel
The mm2 is up on the product list for may 2009.
If the pattern is followed then the DMG II is due out in July.

Bel
Do you have support for the DMG II? Just looking to keep current on my calendar thread . . .
Do you have support for the DMG II? Just looking to keep current on my calendar thread . . .

Not really, just looking at the PHB II in March, MM II in May, so the DMG II in July. A guess, I guess.

Bel
I'm sure I'll pick up the PHB2, DMG2 and MM2 when they're out but until then I've been trying to hold back costs some with 4E since I'm not playing regularly at the moment and I probably won't get my money's worth out of the other supplements right away. I'll put things like Arcane Power on my birthday/christmas lists.

Of course, I have no hope of resisting minis and dungeon tiles - so much for the theory of saving money. :-)

L
OK, so the PHBII is new classes, feats, races, and such . . .
The MMII is new baddies . . .

What will be in the new DMG? New traps? Another pre-made town? Wouldn't that be better for a trap splat book or a new city splat book?
Sign In to post comments