PHB2 Power Sources Revealed!

107 posts / 0 new
Last post
First, to give credit where credit is due, this is where I found the info:
http://www.circvsmaximvs.com/showthread.php?p=690443#post690443

That's right. The phb2 will be arcane, divine, and primal heroes:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/9780786950164

Here is the complete line-up:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndlist&brand=dnd&year=All&tablesort=5

New items previously on amazon only:

Open Grave: Secrets of the Undead
My thoughts: A book about undead monsters, powers, etc.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/9780786950690

Caves of Carnage: Dungeon Tiles
My thoughts: New Dungeon Tiles. Duh.:P
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/9780786950195

Dungeon Delve
My thoughts: A super adventure.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/9780786951390

Player's Handbook II
My thoughts: The phb2. 'Nuff said.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/9780786950164

New items that appeared on wotc site first:

Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress
My thoughts: The third(and final) paragon tier adventure.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/9780786950003

E1 Death's Reach
My thoughts: The first epic tier adventure.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/9780786951024

Arcane Power
My thoughts: The arcane expansion book in the same vein of the martial one.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/9780786949571
Um... that guy looks like either a Barbarian or a Psychic Warrior.

Goliath barbarian(and gnome druid). More than likely anyway.

And if you look under the title you can see it says:

Arcane, Divine, and Primal Heroes

Just as the phb1 says:

Arcane, Divine, and Martial Heroes.
I'd say he is a Barbarian (Primal). It is neat to see the spirit panthers, guessing that is a Shaman power there.

We can also somewhat start to guess a bit on the races on the cover too.

Edit: I don't think that is a Gnome Druid, the green skin and body shape/size doesn't look Gnomish to me, and Druids are shapeshifters mainly, and I imagine if it was a Druid that be shown. My guess for the race... Another Feyish race, Githyanki/zerai or some new race all together.
I'd say he is a Barbarian (Primal). It is neat to see the spirit panthers, guessing that is a Shaman power there.

Ah, good point. It could be a shaman.
I wanted shadow!

The guy with the big axe on the cover of the PHB2? Probably not a Psychic Warrior given that the subtitle on the cover of the book is "Arcane, Divine, and Primal Heroes"...
At least I have my proper avatar now, I guess. But man is this cloud dark.
It does indeed say that. But I remember hearing before that the PHBII was going to feature psionics in anticipation of Eberron next year.

But you know what, perhaps they are folding Psionic into Arcane to prevent "source creep."
It does indeed say that. But I remember hearing before that the PHBII was going to feature psionics in anticipation of Eberron next year.

But you know what, perhaps they are folding Psionic into Arcane to prevent "source creep."

Well that was more community expectation then anything else. We also know Psionics will exist as a separate power-source since it states itself as its own one in PHB1.
I wanted shadow!

Me too.

At least I know it's coming at some point.

Well that was more community expectation then anything else. We also know Psionics will exist as a separate power-source since it states itself as its own one in PHB1.

To be fair, it was said by someone at wotc(who's name I won't repeat as to not take a chance and get him in trouble) that the phb2 would have psionics, though at the time that could have been the plan. This was less than a month after the big announcement. So things may have changed, or he may have been mistaken.

Edit: I don't think that is a Gnome Druid, the green skin and body shape/size doesn't look Gnomish to me, and Druids are shapeshifters mainly, and I imagine if it was a Druid that be shown. My guess for the race... Another Feyish race, Githyanki/zerai or some new race all together.

Can't be githyanki if that is a goliath. We only had 2 g's, and one is definitely gnome or gnoll(as it starts with gn).

I'm sticking with gnome and goliath as the cover races.

Edit:
From the other board
I'm guessing they wanted to flesh out arcane and divine to give four classes for the expansion books(to be on par with martial).

After this I suspect we will see phb3 have two or three(my guess is three) power sources, with phb4 being like phb2 and filling out the power sources while introducing one new source.

The math:

Phb1- 4 martial, 2 divine, and 2 arcane.

Phb2- 4 primal, 2 divine, and 2 arcane.

Phb3- 4 psionic, 2 shadow, and 2 ki.

The power sources are a guess, but the math works out.

Phb4- 4 elemental, 2 shadow, and 2 ki.

This is a good post on compiled info(for races and classes especially):
http://www.circvsmaximvs.com/showthread.php?t=45770

Some ponderings on the classes and races:

Races:
For races, we were given D, G, G, H, and S as first letters, and N(preceeded by a G), E, H, and O as second letters, and R as a last letter.

Seems we will have Gnomes for sure, and that certainly seems to be a Goliath(though he could be a Half-giant, but I doubt it).

So left over we have first letters of D, H, and S. We still have second letters of E and H(maybe O, as one second letter wasn't mentioned and it is possible to have two O's), and a last letter of R.

I'm going to guess that S(first) and H(second) will be Shadar-Kai. Maybe Hobgoblin for the H(and maybe the second letter O).

Classes:
For classes, this seem to be all but confirmed: Bard(arcane), barbarian(primal), druid(primal), sorceror(arcane), and shaman(primal).

The letters given were B, B, D, I, S, S, T, and W.

Give the above, we have I, T, and W left and 1 primal and 2 divine classes to fill in(if we assume they want 4 classes for each source and are filling them as I propsed in my previous post). These are obviously the 3 completely new classes.

Now none of this is given and is just my speculation. Thoughts?
Well, it might just be me but I'm rather happy to see it appears they are going to provide us with a ready made adventure series through the end of Epic.

That being said holy crap is there alot of stuff coming out. How did you guys keep up with all of this before? I thought WHFR had alot of books.
Well, it might just be me but I'm rather happy to see it appears they are going to provide us with a ready made adventure series through the end of Epic.

That being said holy crap is there alot of stuff coming out. How did you guys keep up with all of this before? I thought WHFR had alot of books.

Haha.:P

Not all of us kept up. Some of us picked and chose.

I happened to have kept up and it was a huge chunk of money added up over time(though I only got the campaign settings themselves and not the setting supplements, so that was some relief).

I don't regret it. I have a huge resource to draw upon for 4e(and future editions). And I can always go back and actually play 3e.

I will likely gather them all up again(I have this bad habit of collecting things I shouldn't:D).

But yeah, not everyone is like me. In fact, I'm more than likely a small minority. Buy what you like and skip what you don't like.
Goliath barbarian(and gnome druid). More than likely anyway.

Bring on the Goliaths!!
My man, bonethug, thanks for this!

So, yeah, I too am surprised at the lack of Psionics being included, what with Eberron coming out next year. And I want my monk (Ki Striker?)!

So, my speculations:

-Barbarian = Primal Defender
-Bard = Arcane Leader
-Druid = Primal Striker (hybrid)
-Shaman = Primal Leader
-Sorcerer = Arcane Controller

As for the other 3, I guess these are the 3 that I heard will be completely new classes to D&D - maybe a Divine Striker and Controller or something and another fellow?
No problem, Steely Dan.

I too am shocked that there is no psionics, though maybe they are saving it for the setting after eberron(hint hint).;)

I started to have my doubts when I started hearing that arcane(and then divine) classes would be in it.

But then again some people like arcane and divine and will be happy to get more classes for those sources.

I'm personally waiting the most for shadow(any shadow class will kick ass) and ki(monk and my all-time favorite ninja).

Edit:
Oh, I'm thinking T will be Totemist(primal). That would leave I and W for divine classes. Inquisitor makes for a good sounding divine striker(I'm not to first to mention it). W may be Warsomethingorother(:P). I seriously got nothing for W.

I'll have to construct a role/power grid to see what we would likely have and what roles/sources these classes will fill.
Could they possibly be putting the psionics into the Eberron Player's Guide?
I too am shocked that there is no psionics, though maybe they are saving it for the setting after eberron(hint hint).;)

Dark Sun!

They have sated it is being considered for their yearly campaign setting model.
I'm personally waiting the most for shadow

Ah, for shadow, I'm speculating:

-Illusionist = Shadow Controller
-Necromancer = Shadow Leader
T could be Totemist (Primal), W could be Warmage (Arcane).

My predictions:
Barbarian - Primal Defender/Striker
Bard - Arcane Leader and/or Controller
Druid - Divine Leader
Sorcerer - Arcane Striker/Controller
Shaman - Primal Leader or Controller
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.
Well, I'm torn. On one hand I'm really disappointed that there is no Psionic power source, as I want my psychic villians for Eberron, and I don't want a book devoted to psionics again when there is no reason for it. On the other hand, putting out one new power source in the PHB is a nice way to gradually add more power sources to the game.

Now, some thoughts I had concerning this cover:

1. This may not be the final cover, as we know from the PHB, covers could be changed and it indeed may change to incorporate other power sources, on this listing we don't have any description yet, so it may change.

2. While I'm disappointed with the lack of a Psionic power source, perhaps, psionic an primal are being rolled into one. After all magic is learned, but psionics is something you're generally born with. Just a random, unlikely thought.

3. It does seem like we do have goliaths upcoming - considering the popularity of the I have noticed on these boards, I'm not surprised. However, that is not a 100% guarantee that they are indeed, as the the cover may change and once again, there is no info in the listing.
I could buy that. They might roll things like shamanistic powers and psionics into one broad "primal" heading. To denote that they come from the natural world in one form or another. Cuts down on having a sprawling number of power sources.
-T could be Totemist (Primal)

-Bard - Arcane Leader and/or Controller

-Druid - Divine Leader

-Sorcerer - Arcane Striker

-Shaman - Primal Leader or Controller

-Good call on the Totemist.

-The Bard has been confirmed as an Arcane Leader.

-I'm pretty sure the Druid has been confirmed as a Primal hybrid class.

-The Sorcerer has been confirmed as an Arcane Controller.

-The shaman has been confirmed as a Leader.
I could buy that. They might roll things like shamanistic powers and psionics into one broad "primal" heading.

Psionics has been confirmed as its own power source.

These are the confirmed power sources:

-Arcane
-Divine
-Elemental
-Ki
-Martial
-Primal
-Psionic
-Shadow
Only one new power source per PHB?

So I have to wait years...years...for my Illusionists, Psions, Monks and whatever classes are rolled in with the Elemental power source?

At first I liked the idea of WoTC's release structure for 4th Edition but now I'm kind of torked off...this one new power source per year garbage just isn't going to fly with me.

Are you listening WoTC? I make gobs and gobs of money, and I have no mortgage or children...I want to give you my money now in exchange for a richly textured fantasy environment with encyclopedias full of different options! Oh WoTC...why won't you take my money now?

*sigh* Well...get to work homebrewers.
this one new power source per year garbage just isn't going to fly with me.

That isn't concrete, who knows, the PHB III could be:

Ki, Psionic and Shadow Heroes

…I would be thrilled.
Darn, I thought I was clever there for a moment.
It's odd that they would have more arcane classes in PHB2 when they are bringing out Complete Arcane so I suppose we can assume that the splat-books will concentrate on powers and paragon paths rather than classes.

I too am disappointed that the shadow source might be postponed for 2 years since my pc is a shadow mage. On the other hand, I can convert to a Star Pact Warlock by re-tooling the fluff if I know that no alternative is going to be available for that long. It is also worth noting the illusionist powers for wizards in Dragon would allow you to build a passable illusionist in conjunction with colour spray, blur, mirror image, the prismatic spells, disguise self etc most of which were illusionist exclusive spells in 1e. It is entirely possible that the whole illusionist class will be folded into arcane, perhaps reserving the shadow source for necromancers and shadowcasters. The strong link of gnomes to the feywild and arcane source made me wonder whether the illusionist class might be tooled for arcane.

If shadow magic spells remain in any recognisable form (which seems unlikely since the powers in 4e are not open-ended) it may be given to shadowcasters and arcane illusionists can multi-class if they want access to that kind of flavour.

At least we will definitely be getting the bard, sorcerer, druid, and barbarian to be getting on with.
I'm rather interested in the new races they are bringing out with each Player's Handbook. There were always a ton of classes in DnD but the core races were usually constant. Glad to see them expanding them.
I suppose we can assume that the splat-books will concentrate on powers and paragon paths rather than classes.

Yep – confirmed (and feats).
Since they don't have to re-print the combat rules and all that other stuff, why can't they include a fourth power source? I think if people have to wait two years for a monk or psion that wizards might not have alot of customers to sell them to. This new trickle em' out business model is really kind of trying my patience with a company i have thrown alot of cash at.
Since they don't have to re-print the combat rules and all that other stuff, why can't they include a fourth power source? I think if people have to wait two years for a monk or psion that wizards might not have alot of customers to sell them to. This new trickle em' out business model is really kind of trying my patience with a company i have thrown alot of cash at.
I'm still thinking the W is witch, as a divine controller.
I'm still thinking the W is witch, as a divine controller.

While I would love to see a Witch class, I've never thought of the Witch as divine.

I would think arcane, shadow, primal, or elemental.
While I would love to see a Witch class, I've never thought of the Witch as divine.

I would think arcane, shadow, primal, or elemental.

I should have specified, I had pegged it as primal at first, but I could see both happening.

They did that with the illusionist - their damage is Psi.
Open Letter to WotC:

Dear Devs;

I'm mildly disappointed at the lack of a Psionic powersource in PHBII, but I can understand the reasoning. Primal had better kick ass, though.

If you're holding out on Psionics in order to give it full 4 class treatment in PHBIII all will be forgiven. If you're doing that in order to have a better base for a new Dark Sun setting, I'll wax and detail all of your cars.

Signed,

Batshido
My man, bonethug, thanks for this!

So, yeah, I too am surprised at the lack of Psionics being included, what with Eberron coming out next year. And I want my monk (Ki Striker?)!

So, my speculations:

-Barbarian = Primal Defender
-Bard = Arcane Leader
-Druid = Primal Striker (hybrid)
-Shaman = Primal Leader
-Sorcerer = Arcane Controller

Hm, I would guess
-Barbarian = Primal Striker
-Druid = Primal Leader
-Shaman = Primal Controller

Ceterum censeo capsum rubeum esse delendam

Although it makes sense from a symmetry perspective, are we sure the distribution is 4 primal, 2 arcane, 2 divine? I ask because it seems strange to me that they would make a class starting with I that isn't Illusionist, considering they've already specifically pointed to Illusionists as likely being a class.
Me too.

At least I know it's coming at some point.

Perhaps there will be something in the undead book, like a necromancer class