When Will the Bard Class Be Released and Where?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm a long time Bard class player and would like to know when the Bard class will be released for 4E and in what publication it will appear. Can anyone answer these questions for me?
Most people believe it will be in PHB II, which they also believe will be released sometime next year
jeff37923:
[indent]
I'm a long time Bard class player and would like to know when the Bard class will be released for 4E and in what publication it will appear. Can anyone answer these questions for me?

Based on everything we've seen from developers, I expect the Bard to appear in PHB2; released in January '09.[/indent]

Danny

It's more likely that it'll be released June 09.
GreenKnight:
[indent]
It's more likely that it'll be released June 09.

Because... ?[/indent]

Danny

In order to keep the releases exactly a year apart.
There is indeed much speculation that the bard will be in the PHB II, which I also think is a safe bet.

The only caveat I'd add is that I think (based only on my own annecdotal experience) that demand for the bard may have gone down in 3E due to the watering down (again IMO) of the class overall.

But if WotC suspects that the demand is there, I'd expect to see if the bard sooner than later. If not in PHB II, then it won't be out for a year and a half! Unless Dragon carries a supplement for it.
GreenKnight:
[indent]Because... ?[/indent]

They've said one PHB a year. Not one every six months. Besides, we've already got information on WotC releases for January 2009, and the PHB2 is nowhere in sight.
They've said one PHB a year. Not one every six months. Besides, we've already got information on WotC releases for January 2009, and the PHB2 is nowhere in sight.

Then hope they show the Bard in one of the Dragon or Dungeon articles.

EK
The bard is pretty core to most D&D worlds I sure hope they release them soon.
[indent]Is was indeed said that there will be one PHB a year. It was not stipulated that there would be "one PHB every 12 months", only that there would be one per year. Sources have been cited for a January release, as well as a March release. One debuted in '08 and one shall debut in '09; the time that has elapsed between them is unimportant.[/indent]

Danny

Amazon has the PHB II listed as being available on March 17. I found out about that on enworld.org, just today, in fact.

Whether or not the Bard will appear in that book depends on what that book is about. If it contains nothing but new power sources, then probably not, but I would expect it to be there otherwise, along with the Monk and Barbarian at least.
The bard is pretty core to most D&D worlds I sure hope they release them soon.

Rant; the bard is hardly vital to most of the settings. It came later for Mystara and Greyhawk, Eberron didn't seems to use it much, as much of the more exotic settings (Dark Sun had them quite modified also).

And except for FR, there is not much huge bardic-themed organisations...
Rant; the bard is hardly vital to most of the settings. It came later for Mystara and Greyhawk, Eberron didn't seems to use it much, as much of the more exotic settings (Dark Sun had them quite modified also).

And except for FR, there is not much huge bardic-themed organisations...

But in literary iconics the bard is more than the prancing singer from Holy Grail. I like the Fool who eventually becomes the King of the Ramtops in the Terry Pratchett books.

Our current crop of Bards in today's world go by a different name, the Comedian. We lost a good one last weekend, George Carlin.
Terms you should know...
Show
Kit Build - A class build that is self sustaining and has mechanical differences than the normal scale. Started in Essentials. Most are call their own terms, though the Base Class should be said in front of their own terms (Like Assassin/Executioner) Power Points - A mechanic that was wedged into the PHB3 classes (with the exception of the Monk) from the previous editions. This time, they are used to augment At Wills to be Encounters, thus eliminating the need to choose powers past 4th level. Mage Builds - Kit builds that are schools of magic for the Wizard. A call back to the previous editions powering up of the wizard. (Wizard/Necromancer, for example) Unlike the previous kit builds, Wizards simply lose their Scribe Rituals feature and most likely still can choose powers from any build, unlike the Kit Builds. Parcel System - A treasure distribution method that keeps adventurers poor while forcing/advising the DM to get wish lists from players. The version 2.0 rolls for treasure instead of making a list, and is incomplete because of the lack of clarity about magic item rarity.
ha ha
56902498 wrote:
They will Essentialize the Essentials classes, otherwise known as Essentials2. The new sub-sub-classes will be: * Magician. A subsubclass of Mage, the magician has two implements, wand and hat, one familiar (rabbit) and series of basic tricks. * Crook. A subsubclass of Thief, the Crook can only use a shiv, which allows him to use his only power... Shank. * Angry Vicar, a subsubclass of warpriest, the angry vicar has two attacks -- Shame and Lecture. * Hitter. A subsubclass of Slayer, the Hitter hits things. * Gatherer. A subsubclass of Hunter, it doesn't actually do anything, but pick up the stuff other players might leave behind. Future Essentials2 classes include the Security Guard (Sentinel2), the Hexknife (Hexblade2), the Webelos (Scout2), the Gallant (Cavalier2) and the Goofus (Knight2). These will all be detailed in the box set called Heroes of the Futile Marketing. (Though what they should really release tomorrow is the Essentialized version of the Witchalok!)
But in literary iconics the bard is more than the prancing singer from Holy Grail. I like the Fool who eventually becomes the King of the Ramtops in the Terry Pratchett books.

Our current crop of Bards in today's world go by a different name, the Comedian. We lost a good one last weekend, George Carlin.

yeah, but it's a more background man.

I don't know him, unfortunatly, but I saw a trhead around.
Whether or not the Bard will appear in that book depends on what that book is about. If it contains nothing but new power sources, then probably not, but I would expect it to be there otherwise, along with the Monk and Barbarian at least.

since the PHB2 will cover arcane, divine and primal power sources, you can surely bet the bard will be in it. The cover clearly shows a goliath barbarian so thats in

the Monk is certainly out
So none of you really know when or where the 4E Bard class is going to show up, but have some good guesses.

And nobody from WotC seems to be talking.

Thanks anyways guys.
So none of you really know when or where the 4E Bard class is going to show up, but have some good guesses.

And nobody from WotC seems to be talking.

Thanks anyways guys.

it has not been confirmed no, but they have said it is coming, they have said it will be coming relatively quickly and they have said that the PHB2 will cover the arcane power source. It seems to all add up. But no, no one has said "the bard is in the PHB2"
Sign In to post comments