Sub-Race rules in future supplements?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
This was something I wanted ever since R. A. Salvatore created Zhai, but never got. And with the "Player's Handbook II" and other books coming out, I am hoping for this.

Because it is fine and dandy to be a Half-Elf in Faerûn. But what if a player wanted to be a Half-Wood Elf, or even a Half-Drow/Half-Moon Elf? And so on. (And yes, this has been a major topic for me. To the point when I had seen what the new system is offering, I am hoping for this even more.)

Either way, I will be hoping for this. Be it in the quoted "Player's Handbook II" or some other book. And I even have ideas how to handle this, but will not mention it quite yet. :P Just because I am using an evil laptop and want to know how others may feel (or hear) about this.
WOTC now, sorry, prefer the (perhaps finaly more sensible) Eberron idea;

many of those subraces are just, at the bottom of it, cultures. So, now, the 'subraces' will be packed and shared between elves and eladrins... Just like Eberron had the Valenar, those death-loving ones, the Khorvaire ones... all as cultures of the same Elf race.

if else, there may be feats for a lineage, perhaps... but I like this 'new' idea.
I'd like a template that manages to be balanced no matter what races you throw into it (half-minotaur/half-halfling for example). But I don't know how realistic that would be. As such I'd hate to see actual half-races fleshed out like half-elves in PHB2.
I could live with a generic base 'Half-humans' thing to make things like Half-orcs, Half-ogres, etc....
WOTC now, sorry, prefer the (perhaps finaly more sensible) Eberron idea;

many of those subraces are just, at the bottom of it, cultures. So, now, the 'subraces' will be packed and shared between elves and eladrins... Just like Eberron had the Valenar, those death-loving ones, the Khorvaire ones... all as cultures of the same Elf race.

if else, there may be feats for a lineage, perhaps... but I like this 'new' idea.

Culture aside, the elven races (for example) are also different physically and ability-wise. Possibly the same with other races. Especially in Forgotten Realms.

Thus, maybe rules on creating new sub-races or hybrid races would be nice. Because I would personally like to see a system for this, since you cannot use a generic Half-Elf template if the other half is not human.

Besides, this not being done had made R. A. Salvatore be as evil as he is awesome. Mostly because he created Zhai (Half-Drow, Half-Wood Elf), but no D&D supplements for those who may have wanted it. :P
Culture aside, the elven races (for example) are also different physically and ability-wise. Possibly the same with other races. Especially in Forgotten Realms.

Thus, maybe rules on creating new sub-races or hybrid races would be nice. Because I would personally like to see a system for this, since you cannot use a generic Half-Elf template if the other half is not human.

Besides, this not being done had made R. A. Salvatore be as evil as he is awesome. Mostly because he created Zhai (Half-Drow, Half-Wood Elf), but no D&D supplements for those who may have wanted it. :P

However, that's the problem; the PHYSICAL (specialy) differences are not enough to warranty so many distinct subraces. It's also a problem of a certain.... elf fandom that WANT to have distinct subraces.

or if you prefer, by examples, gold and sun elves are like russians vs ethiopians. Phenotypes.

Gold and SUn elves, by examples... Eladrins.

Wild/Wood, Elves.

Drow is distinct enough to be something else, and Sea elves could be a templated elves.

if you really want a distinct bloodlines, perhaps have 'bloodlines feats'... like, a feat for drawing upon an infernal ancestry, or something.
However, that's the problem; the PHYSICAL (specialy) differences are not enough to warranty so many distinct subraces. It's also a problem of a certain.... elf fandom that WANT to have distinct subraces.

or if you prefer, by examples, gold and sun elves are like russians vs ethiopians. Phenotypes.

Gold and SUn elves, by examples... Eladrins.

Wild/Wood, Elves.

Drow is distinct enough to be something else, and Sea elves could be a templated elves.

if you really want a distinct bloodlines, perhaps have 'bloodlines feats'... like, a feat for drawing upon an infernal ancestry, or something.

Elves, dwarves, and more.

The template I am wondering about was, I do believe, created for the 3e (and/or 3.5e) Player's Handbook. Mostly because human and demi-human races were generic enough for that. And with the simplicity of 4e, genetics in non-generic worlds would be in the hands of the DM and not just the books.

Because Eberron elves, for example, are cultures. But not most of the demi-human species in Forgotten Realms. Thus, a DM may want to have a system to create their own demi-human sub-species for their own campaign world or even breed a Lythari (a sub-species of elves that can transform into wolves) with a Wild Elf.

Then again, what I am wondering about is something that could help DMs create new sub-species of elves, dwarves, humans (Amazonians, for example) and more. And this could result in new stuff we could see in future products, etc. (Then again, I also remember Neverwinter Nights allowing to to name your sub-species. (But that is a different story, and makes me wonder what an "Ubbergeek Elf" would look/be like.)
The problem is that iN FR, they could and should be culture. There is no real reasons to make gold and silver elves by examples really different subraces - their differences are more cultural fluff than anything else.

That won't removes their differences, really; look at Eberron and how those cultures are different and distinct. That will just remove an uneeded, specious mechanic.

Why humans, set in different milieux, developpate different cultures, but elves (and dwarves, and others...) would change so much as to make it another race, really? How can you justify it out of a Deus ex machina?

Lyhtari = elven specific werewolf 'curse/blessing', btw. Simply.

Subraces should exist ONLY if there is RADICALY different and 'deviant' changes. Like Drow to Elves.
The problem is that iN FR, they could and should be culture. There is no real reasons to make gold and silver elves by examples really different subraces - their differences are more cultural fluff than anything else.

That won't removes their differences, really; look at Eberron and how those cultures are different and distinct. That will just remove an uneeded, specious mechanic.

Why humans, set in different milieux, developpate different cultures, but elves (and dwarves, and others...) would change so much as to make it another race, really? How can you justify it out of a Deus ex machina?

Lyhtari = elven specific werewolf 'curse/blessing', btw. Simply.

Subraces should exist ONLY if there is RADICALY different and 'deviant' changes. Like Drow to Elves.

That's the thing.

You are only focusing on a single line, of what could turn out to be an entire picture. And while I do understand where you are coming from, I am also stating that it is more or less valid in Eberron and small portions of DragonLance.

The concept I am mentioning and wondering if there will be official rules are due to the fact somebody may want to create their own world. That, or go beyond the basics that Forgotten Realms (and other future campaigns) may state.

Because it was stated in DragonLance that the races were created after the war against Chaos, the father of all the gods in that world. And when you go by that concept, the very fact (or idea) that sub-species of dwarves, elves, and halflings might be due to which gods they worshiped after they started migrating.

And in the case of Faerûn, this may be the definite fact to why elves (again, as an example) went from being of one (or multiple) culture(s) to being of multiple sub-species.

In other words, if culture is a square... then adding sub-species is adding additional squares to it, thus giving it a more dimensional approach at showing the cultures that each sub-species has developed. And again, leads to what I asked about, since it would give the DM the chance to decide on how to handle that four dimensional sphere.

And in all cases, the history of Faerûn did state that there was only one kind of elf. But that is a different story.