Races of phII

93 posts / 0 new
Last post
what races will be in the next players handbook?
Gnome,
half-orc,
Gnome is in MM.

More racial feats offered, perhaps.
I think the most they'll put in would be 8 races, dontcha think? I'd say:

1. Half-orc
2. Drow elf
3. Gnome
4. Warforged (you can play with them now, but I'm betting that they'll add cultural flavor and some crunch)
5. Shifters (same deal)
6. Changelings
7. The other Eberron race
8. ???
Gnome is in MM.

More racial feats offered, perhaps.

that doesn't mean they cant be in the PHB, most, if not all, of the PC races are in the MM.
But not really vice-versa - did they reprint the PC races infos in the MM?
this was what we were given for the races,

Here

Races- first letters Gn, second letters o, e, and h, and one has the last letter of r.
Gn........Gnome
Not much imagination and too much wish-thinking, young padawan...

Could be...

Gnoll

It have a certain popularity around.

(And I'd rather get new racial writeups, and have racial feats and all added more later)
I hope Goliaths are on the list, I always liked their flavour.
ahh the gnoll, good point i guess we will find out
I would like to point out that the gnoll is in the MM, almost any possibility is in the MM, almost no doubt that they would put in gnome before they put in gnoll

i think it would be doppelganger for either the 2nd letter O or last letter R
kobold is a possibility for O also

Shadar-kai for h?
But then, why reprint something who is already in the 'core core'?
to be more in depth, and to give all the fluff that comes with other races, the template is usefull for creating NPC's but the more info the better the PC
We've been told there's five races in the PHB2 and some of these may be full PC writeups on monsters in the MM in the way we got a full writeup for Warforged in Dragon this month which builds on what's in the MM.

Also drow are in the MM but will be fully fleshed out in the FR Player's Guide along with the Genasi (so neither will be in the PHB2 according to stated design rules of not repinting material). MM writeups are barebones and more useful for NPCs to give class levels to than for PCs. Heck the warforged in Dragon was even give 2 race-exclusive paragon paths.

A spreadsheet index of monsters, spells, and magic items designed for sorting and locating in various sources. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HXDqVa4plilwR4DQWJ1KYZUrinC3p5T3Sq8P9Bj76jo/edit?usp=sharing

Shadar-kai for h?

almost assuredly
This is my guess:
GNome

GEnasi or GOblin

Drow or DuergaR or DOppelgangeR

HObgoblin

KObold

SHadar-kai

although as pointed out the drow and genasi are probably out
although as pointed out the drow and genasi are probably out

since the genasi will be in the FR Players Guide it seems unlikely they will also appear in the PHB2
Don't forget about Shifter, though it does knock out many ideas of the D race.
i dont know it could fit w/ the h as the secant letter but i still think it would be Shadar-kai so if it is one it probably is the R
Kender.
*crosses fingers*

I promise I'll stop all my RL Dragonlance obsessing and boisterous WoTC bashing for letting DL die a horrible death if they give me my Kender back. :D
Don't forget about Shifter, though it does knock out many ideas of the D race.

I would think the shifter and warforged would be in the Eberron Players Guide
I'm actually kind of hoping to see the old Half Ogre be made official. Or maybe even a Half Oni when they get around to publishing the PHB with the Ki powers.
Hm... none of those match "elan." Will I ever get my beloved psionic immortal back?
Hm... none of those match "elan." Will I ever get my beloved psionic immortal back?

With a potential for 8 PHBs I'd say anythings possible.
Kender.
*crosses fingers*

I promise I'll stop all my RL Dragonlance obsessing and boisterous WoTC bashing for letting DL die a horrible death if they give me my Kender back. :D

kender?

Like for elves and their subraces, it's a 'culture' of Halflings. There.
Gn won't be Gnome, My guess is its something new. Yes people, new... new is good.
I think they'll stand by their decision of kicking out the gnome and half-orc, the gnome especially.

I hope they don't add too many races, a civilisation can only have so many races with each being interesting and generally accepted by the population. Take star wars (the movies), it's pure chaos basically, you can't really learn about each race. Lord of the Rings on the other hand gives you a good idea about dwarves, elves, humans and halflings.

I hope they stick with subraces, not because they are so interesting but because you can group them as one. To players and theoretical population of the world the 11 species of elves are all 'elf'.
With a potential for 8 PHBs I'd say anythings possible.

Why 8?
I think the most they'll put in would be 8 races, dontcha think? I'd say:

1. Half-orc
2. Drow elf
3. Gnome
4. Warforged (you can play with them now, but I'm betting that they'll add cultural flavor and some crunch)
5. Shifters (same deal)
6. Changelings
7. The other Eberron race
8. ???

im betting the d is for dopplganger since its been confermed that the drow will be in the forgoten realm setting as a playable race
Gn won't be Gnome, My guess is its something new. Yes people, new... new is good.

What then, Gnoll, Gnorc, Gnu... Gnu is dumb.

Bel
Originally Posted by WotC_RichBaker In related news, I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate your 3.5 rulebooks, and force you to convert to the new edition. Where do you live?
Why 8?

Because 8 years is supposedly the life expectancy of an edition of DnD and it has been stated that there will be a new PH, MM, and DMG every year.
There is always an HUGE number of races and classes created over the ages of D&D and a % of it salvageable and reusable and interesting still, so...
Because 8 years is supposedly the life expectancy of an edition of DnD and it has been stated that there will be a new PH, MM, and DMG every year.

hmmm......first edition lasted a lot longer than 8 years though
hmmm......first edition lasted a lot longer than 8 years though

6, 8, 10, 12, whatever. It doesn't really matter. The point is that if they stick with releasing a PH each year there is going to be a lot of PHs.
6, 8, 10, 12, whatever. It doesn't really matter. The point is that if they stick with releasing a PH each year there is going to be a lot of PHs.

well thats true.
Two lists. One assumes Eberron-specific races will be amply covered in the 4ECS or 4EPG, one assumes they won't be.

1. Aasimar
2. Gnome
3. Half-orc

1. Kalashtar
2. Warforged
3. Doppleganger (aka changeling)
Yours, Dave the Brave
Two lists. One assumes Eberron-specific races will be amply covered in the 4ECS or 4EPG, one assumes they won't be.

1. Aasimar
2. Gnome
3. Half-orc

1. Kalashtar
2. Warforged
3. Doppleganger (aka changeling)

IMO both your lists are wrong as the clues so far only support 1 race from each list (Gnome and Doppleganger). Its possible there's secretly more races they've been keeping secret, but I doubt it.
gnome, half-orc, shifter, warforged and....aasimar/angeltouched.

I would like too avariel (winged elfs), centaurs, chitine (spider-like from the FR underdark), bairaur (like ram centaurs from the planar handbook), wemic (lion centaurs) in the future,

Why not too gobling, bugbear, hobgobling and kobold, shadar-kai and perhaps too goliaths, raptorans and spellcalles.

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

IMO both your lists are wrong as the clues so far only support 1 race from each list (Gnome and Doppleganger). Its possible there's secretly more races they've been keeping secret, but I doubt it.

Well, I guess this was more my preference than a prediction. hahaha, should have made that clear. Sorry!
Yours, Dave the Brave
Well, I guess this was more my preference than a prediction. hahaha, should have made that clear. Sorry!

ggdhs

gentilmen open your monster manuals too page 276 please

for the first g gnome is a safe bet

for the second g id wager githzerai if the book contains psionics ig not goblin is a fair bet but i wouldnt put money on it its just the most likley of the listed g

for d dopleganger is the best bet since it has been stated time and time agin that the drow will be in the forgotten realm setting

for h half orc cause half orc players cried realy load when they wernt included in the phb

lastly for s my money is on shadar kai since its a safe bet shifters are in the eberon setting plus no one seems too be screaming too loadly about there absense in the phb
ggdhs

gentilmen open your monster manuals too page 276 please

for the first g gnome is a safe bet

for the second g id wager githzerai if the book contains psionics ig not goblin is a fair bet but i wouldnt put money on it its just the most likley of the listed g

for d dopleganger is the best bet since it has been stated time and time agin that the drow will be in the forgotten realm setting

for h half orc cause half orc players cried realy load when they wernt included in the phb

lastly for s my money is on shadar kai since its a safe bet shifters are in the eberon setting plus no one seems too be screaming too loadly about there absense in the phb

I'm going with gnome for G, if not in the PHB2 then it'll be in the Eberron book. If not gnome then possibly gnoll. The other g could be githzerai or goblin (all four have entries in the MM).

Half orc I doubt but I do forsee it making it into a Dragon article.

I'm going with Shadar-kai as well especially if the PHB2 covers Primal and Shadow sources.

A spreadsheet index of monsters, spells, and magic items designed for sorting and locating in various sources. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HXDqVa4plilwR4DQWJ1KYZUrinC3p5T3Sq8P9Bj76jo/edit?usp=sharing

Sign In to post comments