DDI and new classes

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
So the base classes from previous editions will be released in a future PHB II. Okay, but I also heard at least one will be released via DDI. Any confirmation? And if so, will this happen before we'll start having to pay?

Bonus question: how will this DDI thing work? Will we have to subscribe, or is there some sort of per issue arrangement? Will we have some way to check out the content before paying for it?
Bonus question: how will this DDI thing work?

That will take $15/month from you

Will we have to subscribe, or is there some sort of per issue arrangement?

I don't believe they have ever said you could buy just one issue. Though I suppose you could buy a month then cancel

Will we have some way to check out the content before paying for it?

Not sure. You certainly won't be able to review a magazine like you can in a bookstore. You may get the Table of Contents online somewhere
Obviously this was supposed to go in the DDI forum (General, I guess) - do your thing, mods. Sorry.
I think the DDi classes will probably be previews ala the Class Acts: Wizard article.

Bel
Originally Posted by WotC_RichBaker In related news, I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate your 3.5 rulebooks, and force you to convert to the new edition. Where do you live?
I am fairly confident that there will be promos available, if for no other reason than to entice people to pay the cost.
I mean, if I wasn't subscribing, but I wanted this, that, or the other in my game, then the best way to get me to give them money for DDI would be to let me know that this, that, or the other was in the new "issue" of Dragon. Then I would either subscribe for a month or buy the single issue, however that is going to work.
i was under the impression that you would only need to subscribe to DM a table top game from DDI, and that simply playing in someone elses adventure would be free.
My understanding (partially from inside info admitedly) is that the exact details of DDI are still being hammered out and that at least until all the components of DDI are out we won't have to worry about subscriptions and such.

Until that time at least we can view all the articles for each Dragon and Dungeon though the end-of-month compiled pdf of each issue might be a one-shot purchase (and presumably part of the subscription for DDI).

As for DDI tools access I suspect we'll likely have limited access to all the tools for free (as long as we have a DDI account) while others will require a subscription. Since some of the tools are stand alone apps they probably will do something like saving a character file out to your HDD is free but if you want to upload to the servers for online games you may have to subscribe (or have limited slots).

The fact that they've not revealed the details yet indicates strongly that they haven't worked out the final details yet and part of that may be a matter of what features the final tools will have so what can and can't be limited by subscription.
The fact that they've not revealed the details yet indicates strongly that they haven't worked out the final details yet and part of that may be a matter of what features the final tools will have so what can and can't be limited by subscription.

It might simply be that they've realised their marketing model is cocked up and isn't going to work and they're trying to work out how to salvage it. For example, lots of us appear to want Dragon and / or Dungeon magazine (mainly the former, I'm hearing), but don't want the online tools. It doesn't make sense to subscribe just for these even if you feel they are good value for money because you can just subscribe for a month at the end of the year and get the whole archive for one twelfth the price. People who do subscribe early on are essentially being punished because they have access to less material. WotC's options are poor. Do they make the magazine available only for a limited time? Do they require a full year's subscription? There are serious questions they don't appear to have answered and perhaps not even to themselves.
It might simply be that they've realised their marketing model is cocked up and isn't going to work and they're trying to work out how to salvage it. For example, lots of us appear to want Dragon and / or Dungeon magazine (mainly the former, I'm hearing), but don't want the online tools. It doesn't make sense to subscribe just for these even if you feel they are good value for money because you can just subscribe for a month at the end of the year and get the whole archive for one twelfth the price. People who do subscribe early on are essentially being punished because they have access to less material. WotC's options are poor. Do they make the magazine available only for a limited time? Do they require a full year's subscription? There are serious questions they don't appear to have answered and perhaps not even to themselves.

If they were wise, they would make the subscription modular, so much for Dragon/Dungeon, so much for the Rules Compendium, so much for the Character Builder & Visualizer and so much for the DM Toolbox, Dungeon Builder and the Game Table. So say a complete sub is $25, but each mod is $7, yes it's more than what they're offering now but seperating the mods has a cost.

Bel
Originally Posted by WotC_RichBaker In related news, I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate your 3.5 rulebooks, and force you to convert to the new edition. Where do you live?
If they were wise, they would make the subscription modular, so much for Dragon/Dungeon, so much for the Rules Compendium, so much for the Character Builder & Visualizer and so much for the DM Toolbox, Dungeon Builder and the Game Table. So say a complete sub is $25, but each mod is $7, yes it's more than what they're offering now but seperating the mods has a cost.

Bel

That would corral the problem, but not address it. But beyond the specific issue I was talking about, I agree with you that going modular would be nice. But I don't think it will happen. I think WotC are either having problems getting their online tools to work, or have realised that a large number of their customers are showing no interest in them. Either way, however, I think they know that Dragon and Dungeon magazine are going to be one of the strongest ways they have to get people to subscribe to DDI. If they let people get just the parts they want, the online dungeon tool and the character visualiser are going to suffer for it (imo). Certainly it would be great for the customers to just get what we want... but have you seen the way they sell minis? I don't think you'll see the modular approach, though I'm happy to hope along with you.

Lurkalot.