Martial Power?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Any spoilers yet out of this source book? It's the first rules extension we get... Do you think there's anything at all for the other classes, except for some combat related feats etc? Some extra options would be good, but if we're getting nothing for the other classes for very long time it's bit of a disappointment. It MIGHT allow converting my Iron Heroes campaign, though...
Shaper & Maker galleries
Well, we do know from some of the developmental blogs that there are more multi-classing feats in the Martial Power sourcebook. So, there should be more use in this book for the other classes in that field.
I believe it was said that the book will contain new builds, feats and powers for the existing classes as well as paragon paths and epic destinies.

Bel
Originally Posted by WotC_RichBaker In related news, I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate your 3.5 rulebooks, and force you to convert to the new edition. Where do you live?
In the convert your character article on Wizards not long ago this little spoiler was hidden in the ranger section.

"There’s no option in the Player’s Handbook for a ranger animal companion, however… but rangers missing their pets should check out the Martial Power sourcebook, releasing October 2008."

So we will be getting new options for the base classes it seems.
In the convert your character article on Wizards not long ago this little spoiler was hidden in the ranger section.

"There’s no option in the Player’s Handbook for a ranger animal companion, however… but rangers missing their pets should check out the Martial Power sourcebook, releasing October 2008."

So we will be getting new options for the base classes it seems.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Animal compainians are back...now we need summons next..

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Yes. That was good news.
19 sets of smileys wasn't necessary though. XD
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/toee/0c192c1cefb74a2a598eb6d51c35fdc7.jpg)
57117398 wrote:
You blew me apart. That's not necessarily fatal.
http://iris.alphachat.net/?uio=d4&channels=gleemax Chat for all you folks. Rude and Azuro, you two especially. Get on chat more.
I know you asked for spoilers but I think it would be nice to get a new martial class or two as well (perhaps a martial controller?). Otherwise I'm afraid we're just going to get a scant 96 pages and a $30 price tag. The new class(es) would help add some bulk to the book with all the new exploits.
I believe its written somewhere that no new classes will appear in any supplements. D&DI or PHB's only. And of course, Settings Core books.

Not necessarily on topic, but does anyone recall where the Alchemy rules are supposed to be covered?? I thought it was Martial Powers, or Tome and Treasures....
I believe its written somewhere that no new classes will appear in any supplements. D&DI or PHB's only. And of course, Settings Core books.

Not necessarily on topic, but does anyone recall where the Alchemy rules are supposed to be covered?? I thought it was Martial Powers, or Tome and Treasures....

Adventurer's Vault - what the 'Tome of Treasures' is now called.
So not much info out yet, but some - thanks! An extra class or two would have been cool; One book just for powers and feats, paragon paths & destinies sounds a bit too much; Can any of the rituals be thought of as 'martial'?

Build options sound great, they might provide some interesting new possibilities!
Shaper & Maker galleries

Can't wait for the Divine Power book, myself. I'm hoping Paladins will get their Special Mounts back. I want to be able to summon a Dire Lion, again. :D
This book should be very interesting and give a good indication of how 4e is going to blossom.

Several Possibilities:

1) The powers in the PHB are very similar and basically (as other posters have commented) variations of 5 powers

A) Do X damage
B) Do X damage + move
C) Do X damage + move foe
D) Do X damage + healing surge
E) Do X damage + status effect

If the Martial Power book is full of more of the same, I won't be impressed. Nor will I purchase it since I already have those powers in the PHB.

2) The powers could be different. This is a must for me, but the key here is that the powers, although different, must be balanced with the ones in the PHB. Not so easy, even within the current power structure there are potentially broken combinations like the Cascade of Blades/Orcus Slayer on the CO boards.

3) Will there be a power creep? It'd probably **** a fair number of people off...but would ensure a landslide of sales by players.

4) Return of animal companions. If it happens, balance is so tenuous, there would be the possibility that:

A) Animal companions are nigh useless in combat and perform some minor out of combat functions and as a piece of flavour for the game.

B) The animal companion is usefull in combat and the ranger now has a clear advantage over every single class.

Note: The creatures in the monster manual don't seemed designed to fight each other either (eg) the wolf, with combat advantge, automatically trips anything with a hit.

Just some food for thought.

I hope they pull it off well, because I'm currently not satisfied with the core alone.
4) Return of animal companions. If it happens, balance is so tenuous, there would be the possibility that:

A) Animal companions are nigh useless in combat and perform some minor out of combat functions and as a piece of flavour for the game.

B) The animal companion is usefull in combat and the ranger now has a clear advantage over every single class.

Don't forget option (C):

[indent]C) Responding to the complaints that everything is "too combat focused," the animal companion is nigh useless in combat but very good out of combat (canines tracking by scent, birds spying or delivering messages, etc.) and other classes will get things like the paladin's warhorse, arcane familiars, etc. to balance this out.[/indent]

Or option (D):

[indent]D) The animal companion is useful in combat, but at the expense of some powers, so you can be either a "TWF/archer ranger" or a "beastmaster ranger" and not dominate combat.[/indent]

I'm personally hoping for (C).
My thought is that the animal companion wont be class specific. Instead I foresee a more elaborate handle animal system, like what was attempted in 3(.5). So this becomes more like pets in the real life since, pets that you can buy and train to do certain things.
Or option (D):

[indent]D) The animal companion is useful in combat, but at the expense of some powers, so you can be either a "TWF/archer ranger" or a "beastmaster ranger" and not dominate combat.[/indent]

I'm personally hoping for (C).

Ohh - I like that. I've never been much for animal companions as an add on, but making that the focus for a class would be nifty. If they can have multiple animals you could run the classic Marc Singer Beastmaster kinda guy.

Actually, some of this is covered by Rituals, now. There is on which allows the manufacture of potions, as well as magical items; which could be argued to fall under the purview of Alchemy. I would suggest writing a few new rituals in regards to the type of alchemical substance you wish to create, and then create the substance, using the rules for poisons, traps, and hazards found in the GMG as guidelines. The houserule I'm using right now, since in the Rituals rules it mentions you still have to expend money equal to the object's cost to make a magic item, there is no reason you can't say anything you've had to purchase was actually you making the item or substance.

Any idea where Smursus?
The D&D Compendium that went live a few days back included a few new builds for both the Rogue and the Warlord. I can't get the Compendium to work for me right now, so I can't double check, but if I remember right the Rogue has a "smooth talker, stab ya in the back" build and a "thuggish" build while the Warlord has ... two builds that I can't remember. It seems reasonable to me that these are potentially builds that will appear in the Martial Power book. (Although, they are potentially also builds that got cut out of the PHB - only time will tell.)
The D&D Compendium that went live a few days back included a few new builds for both the Rogue and the Warlord. I can't get the Compendium to work for me right now, so I can't double check, but if I remember right the Rogue has a "smooth talker, stab ya in the back" build and a "thuggish" build while the Warlord has ... two builds that I can't remember. It seems reasonable to me that these are potentially builds that will appear in the Martial Power book. (Although, they are potentially also builds that got cut out of the PHB - only time will tell.)

Really? Thug and Trickster are the rogue builds in the PHB, while tactical leader and inspiring leader are the builds for the warlord in the PHB. I'm looking at the compendium now, and that's what's in it.

Poe's Law is alive and well.

Really? Thug and Trickster are the rogue builds in the PHB, while tactical leader and inspiring leader are the builds for the warlord in the PHB. I'm looking at the compendium now, and that's what's in it.

I think the extra builds were whisked out. I remember seeing two extras for the warlord, one of them being the Bravura Warlord. Last time I looked at the compendium, it was back to PHB-only.