Skipping 2nd edition to 4th edition, would I have to read 3rd edition?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am a dungeon master for a party of 3 maybe 4 and i been playing 2nd edition and i was going to go for 3rd edition but 4th edition was so close and now i got the core books i have read them all and would it be good to get 3rd edition?
please comment , thank you.
3.X and 4E are two very different animals. I went from 2e to 4E without any trouble (I checked out 3.X and found it disappointing, so I never bothered with it).
While rules knowledge of 3.5e helped me DM with the quick start rules for Keep on the Shadowfell, I'm sure 4e is completely self-contained. Skip it.

However, some of the splat books have good flavour if you can pick them up cheaply. And there's some good adventures you may be able to convert.
Some of the rules in the 4e PHB are really underspecified, but if you have knowledge of 2e you should be fine. The people I feel sorry for are the people who've never played any version of D&D, ever.

For example, trying to figure out how Wizard spells work. Nowhere is it actually said what the hell "preparing a spell" actually is or does. It basically just says that Wizards get to know a lot more powers than normal, and that you can prepare a limited number of powers based on the regular daily/encounter power limit. Assuming you've never played a prior edition where the writers actually bothered putting in a paragraph or three explaining what preparation is, that really isn't enough to make it clear how Wizard spells work. It can be confusing a little even for people who _have_ played a prior edition, given how many times I've had to explain it to veterans of the game.

You'll probably be in shape for understanding the rules, at least so far as anyone else is. 3rd edition knowledge isn't necessary at all. A willingness to chew through terse, ambiguous, ill-explained rules that make assumptions about what you know will be pretty vital, though.
the only reason to delve into the 3.x rules is to look for feats and prestige classes to update/convert/improve upon. The rules as they are written for 4.0 are much better, so I wouldn't confuse yourself beyond the mentioned elements.
Don't waste the cash man. 4e is a standalone game. There is nothing to use from 3e other than some prestige classes that you really really like to convert into paragon paths or epic destines. Since you've sat out 3e I doubt there's anything you'd really like or need out of it.
http://guild.medialoungeca.com/index.php?action=forum The Guild I'm apart of. We're in WOW, STO, Rift and soon Star Wars feel free to register and hang out. http://sparkster11.deviantart.com/ my deviantart Wheelman of the House of Trolls, "I love it when you watch" Carrier of Section 2, 3 and 6 cargo. Resident Driver Stud God of Transportation and Lust.
The rules as they are written for 4.0 are much better, so I wouldn't confuse yourself beyond the mentioned elements.

Let's just say the rules for 4E are much different, and leave quality assessment to the individual. ;)

The basic advice here is correct though, there's no need whatsoever to buy material from previous editions when starting with 4E. The only real use I see is to have access to setting material, but I imagine all of that will get updated at some point too.
Garic's City - A 3.5 D&D PbP (play-by-post) roleplaying game with a decade of tradition. Enter and enjoy the city of Garic and explore the surrounding, unchartered lands. A city in the middle of nowhere is always in need of heroes... Other PbP forums: Castle of Fun - Coalition War Game - COre COlisseum - D20 Modern - Gleemax Roleplaying - Guild House - Magic Puzzles, Fun, & Games! - Map of the Planes - Paranoia Paradise - PbP Haven - Real Adventures - Terisia City
I'm just happy to see I'm not the only 2nd edition player who hated 3e but sees lots of promise in 4e. ^_^
Let's just say the rules for 4E are much different, and leave quality assessment to the individual. ;)

The basic advice here is correct though, there's no need whatsoever to buy material from previous editions when starting with 4E. The only real use I see is to have access to setting material, but I imagine all of that will get updated at some point too.

No need for individual assessment. They ARE better. Period.
Do I have to see the other 299 movies before seeing 300?
Frankly, if you're going with 4e, I wouldn't even look at 3.X, it would only confuse you with terms being used in different ways, and totally dissimilar rules and mechanics.

As said above, 4e is a completely different animal from 3.X.
Brew'N Games: A Homebrewing Blog, Both Games and Beer. "The Sky is Falling Like a Sock of Cocaine in the Ministry of Information..." - Man Man, Black Mission Goggles
No need for individual assessment. They ARE better. Period.

I love well-argumented opinions. Such a refreshing change from is too/is not kindergarten antics. [/sarcasm]
Garic's City - A 3.5 D&D PbP (play-by-post) roleplaying game with a decade of tradition. Enter and enjoy the city of Garic and explore the surrounding, unchartered lands. A city in the middle of nowhere is always in need of heroes... Other PbP forums: Castle of Fun - Coalition War Game - COre COlisseum - D20 Modern - Gleemax Roleplaying - Guild House - Magic Puzzles, Fun, & Games! - Map of the Planes - Paranoia Paradise - PbP Haven - Real Adventures - Terisia City