New PHB2 spoilers on GRZ

557 posts / 0 new
Last post
Check out the latest GamerRadioZero podcast for nice spoilers about the Player's Handbook 2! I wrote them down here so you don't have to remember:

Races- first letters Gn, second letters o, e, and h, and one has the last letter of r.

Classes- First letters D, R, B, W, I, T, S, S
"Only three or so are familiar, others are all new to D&D."

My personal bets:
Druid
R
Barbarian
W
I
T
Shaman
S
Let your voice be heard! Tell WotC to Publish D&D 4e under the OGL!
Didn't Wyatt give the first letters of races in PHB2? You should add those to this thread so we can look at them side by side and ponder. The thing I'd like to know is the PHB2's secondary title. PHB1 is "Player's Handbook: Arcane, Divine, and Martial Heroes." I'd be kinda sad if the second was "Player's Handbook: a smattering of psionic, primal, shadow, and another arcane, heroes" or something like that, but it looks like the sorcerer is almost guaranteed given the two Ss.

Druid is obvious, as is Barbarian, and I'd say Sorcerer as well. The 'I' might be Illusionist. From those letters, though, I don't know what psionic classes they're going for. I didn't think psionics was going to get its own full book in this edition (except the standard Power series book), since there's no mechanical difference between a power that is "psionic" and one from any other source. I'd also like to know exactly what he means by "the rest are completely new to D&D." Does he mean that it's a new name for a pre-existing concept that killed a couple 3.5 classes and took their stuff, or does he mean that we're gonna be totally blown away having never thought of them? I'd be inclined to say the former.
Check out the latest GamerRadioZero podcast for nice spoilers about the Player's Handbook 2! I wrote them down here so you don't have to remember:

Races- first letters Gn, second letters o, e, and h, and one has the last letter of r.

My personal bets:
Druid
R
Barbarian
W
I
T
Shaman
Sorcerer?

I think that might be one. I think I read in a blog that they were starting on the sorcerer.
Bard? It's a big one.
D - Druid
R -
B - Barbarian
W -
I - Illusionist
T -
S -
S -

Considering that on P.54 of the 4e Players Handbook they specifically named Barbarian, Druid, Monk and Psion as classes, this list does not necessarily bode well for unarmed combat and psionics lovers unless they renamed the monk and psion. Although, Mearls did say that he probably forgot some...
D = Druid
B = Bard
S = Sorcerer

That's my choice of three familiar classes. As for races, I hoping for gnomes and genasi. And we won't know for sure until the PHB2 is ready to print.
D - Druid (Shifter) --Primal--
R - Ritualist --shadow--
B - Barbarian --primal--or... Bard. --arcane--
W - Wilder --psi-- or... Witch --arcane--
I - Illusionist --shadow--
T - Telepath --Psi--
S -Sorcerer --primal --
S -Shaman (Druid nature) --Divine-- or... Shadow Dancer --shadow-- or... Soulknife --Psi--

Ok, here we go... I look for the Bard to be in this cycle, to much has been talked about this class. Perhaps the bard will show up as a PP for the rogue or ranger. It would be disappointing, but better than a showing in the PHB3 or worse, regulated to the Eberron setting. There are four power sources that may make it into this book, Primal, Shadow, Psionic, and Ki. Since the monk is not particularly been talked about and the first letter isn't on the list, we can assume that Ki is going to PHB3.

Primal is in, with the Druid, Sorcerer and possibly the Berserker... err, sorry, the Barbarian.

Shadow is in, with the Illusionist being the mating class to the Gnome race. But the lack of an N means that the Necromancer may be regulated to the Eberron book, or the PHB3 under a different power source (Arcane, perhaps?) Although the Shadow Caster may be a good class to place in this, I believe the Illusionist will take over the powers from that class as it was in 3.5. I want, so bad, the Shadow Dancer to be a full class.

Psi seems lost, though the possibility of Telepath and Soulknife is interesting, I really don't know if Wizards would abandon the Psion name.

So, in order... D-- Druid is a lock. R-- I put Ritualist there because some think it is a good class. This letter is a mystery, but may be a renamed Barbarian here, since... B-- Barbarian (or Berserker) seems to be a good bet, but the Bard was already a lock since before we knew about the Dragonborn. If the Bard gets pushed back to the PHB3, then that would cause some ill feelings that will spill from it being replaced by the wonky Warlord in the first place. W-- Wilder seems like a wild card (pun not intended) but Witch is a long shot I put there cause I really can't think of anything else. I-- Illusionist is a lock, though not having the Necromancer with it might mean that Shadow will return in PHB3, or as I mentioned already, maybe put in Eberron. T-- Is a quizer, but perhaps Wizards will change the name of the Psion to the Telepath.

Two S-- Sorcerer is a lock and Soulknife may be the other Psi class. The Shaman may be saved for later or put in Eberron, but don't discount the possibility of more than eight classes.

Gnome is a lock for the races.

The Half Orc will definatly not be in the PHB2. This is a race that would have been in the PHB1 or not at all. Play a dragonborn instead folks.

So, who has a better theory?
Terms you should know...
Show
Kit Build - A class build that is self sustaining and has mechanical differences than the normal scale. Started in Essentials. Most are call their own terms, though the Base Class should be said in front of their own terms (Like Assassin/Executioner) Power Points - A mechanic that was wedged into the PHB3 classes (with the exception of the Monk) from the previous editions. This time, they are used to augment At Wills to be Encounters, thus eliminating the need to choose powers past 4th level. Mage Builds - Kit builds that are schools of magic for the Wizard. A call back to the previous editions powering up of the wizard. (Wizard/Necromancer, for example) Unlike the previous kit builds, Wizards simply lose their Scribe Rituals feature and most likely still can choose powers from any build, unlike the Kit Builds. Parcel System - A treasure distribution method that keeps adventurers poor while forcing/advising the DM to get wish lists from players. The version 2.0 rolls for treasure instead of making a list, and is incomplete because of the lack of clarity about magic item rarity.
ha ha
56902498 wrote:
They will Essentialize the Essentials classes, otherwise known as Essentials2. The new sub-sub-classes will be: * Magician. A subsubclass of Mage, the magician has two implements, wand and hat, one familiar (rabbit) and series of basic tricks. * Crook. A subsubclass of Thief, the Crook can only use a shiv, which allows him to use his only power... Shank. * Angry Vicar, a subsubclass of warpriest, the angry vicar has two attacks -- Shame and Lecture. * Hitter. A subsubclass of Slayer, the Hitter hits things. * Gatherer. A subsubclass of Hunter, it doesn't actually do anything, but pick up the stuff other players might leave behind. Future Essentials2 classes include the Security Guard (Sentinel2), the Hexknife (Hexblade2), the Webelos (Scout2), the Gallant (Cavalier2) and the Goofus (Knight2). These will all be detailed in the box set called Heroes of the Futile Marketing. (Though what they should really release tomorrow is the Essentialized version of the Witchalok!)
Last letter R, in races. Easily Aasimar.
D - Druid (Shifter) --Primal--
R - Ritualist --shadow--
B - Barbarian --primal--or... Bard. --arcane--
W - Wilder --psi-- or... Witch --arcane--
I - Illusionist --shadow--
T - Telepath --Psi--
S -Sorcerer --primal --
S -Shaman (Druid nature) --Divine-- or... Shadow Dancer --shadow-- or... Soulknife --Psi--
So, who has a better theory?

Druid
Rager
Bard
Wilder
Illusionist
Telepath
Sorcerer
Soulknife

I think that the Barbarian will change enough that they'll be called Ragers instead. That gives us Barbarians AND Bards :D
no necro love? q_q

Gnome is given.
o as 2nd letter: Goliath, Doppleganger, Goblin, Hobgoblin, Kobold
e as 2nd letter: Centaur, Celestial, Ogre
h as 2nd letter: Shifter, Shadar-Kai
r as last letter: Minotaur, Bugbear, Doppleganger, Aasimar, Centaur, Satyr

Those are the possibilities I came up with from a quick scan of the MM, with a couple from memory. I put the one I think most likely on the front of each list. Although, Celestial could take 'e', and Centaur 'r'...
Didn't I see a video interview with Bill Slavicsek where he mentioned Druids and Bards for PHB2?

I heard rumors that it would be out in Jan of 2009 and then others that said June 2009. Anyone know for certain?
This is definitely gonna be a guessing game. I read on Keith Bakers blog that the Artificer will be in July's Dragon... and because of this and the Warforged article some are speculating the Bard may come up as a Dragon article.

My personal bets:
Druid
R
Barbarian
W
I
T
Shaman
S

Druid
R
Bard
Warmage
Illusionist
T
Sorcerer
Spirit Shaman( or just Shaman)

dont know about the R and T classes.
but those are my main guesses.

although

Troubledor cant spell it , but its a synonym with bard, so in theory the B could be Barbarian like you say

races:
Gnome
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Troubledor cant spell it , but its a synonym with bard, so in theory the B could be Barbarian like you say

Troubadour. And its possible. I personally tend to associate bards with musicians in court while troubadours as travelling musicians. I don't know if that's just my personal opinion or if that's how they're typically used, but for me a troubadour would make more sense then a bard.

Gnome is given.

I hold out hope its a new race called Gnarly Wave Riders. They live on oceans and speak in stereotypes ;)

o as 2nd letter: Goliath, Doppleganger, Goblin, Hobgoblin, Kobold
h as 2nd letter: Shifter, Shadar-Kai

Considering Eberron comes out next year Doppleganger and Shifters are strong possibilities (although they could just be detailed in the Eberron PHB like Genasi).

r as last letter: Minotaur, Bugbear, Doppleganger, Aasimar, Centaur, Satyr

It'd rock if Minotaur were included!
I don't think the Bard will be in PHB2 now. I think it will be the class that is supposed to show up exclusively on DDI soon. Since we know it is complete, it is a class that is wanted greatly and there is only one B on the list for PHB.

D: Druid
R:
B: Barbarian
W:
I:
T:
S: Shaman
S: Sorcerer
D: Druid
R:
B: Barbarian
W: Wilder
I:
T:
S: Sorcerer
S: Soulknife

That's all I can, and like, to see.
What about:-
B for Bard
S for Shield Biter.

Here are the first letters given to us a while ago
G, G, D, H, and S

So out of
1st: G, G, D, H, S
2nd:n, o, e, h
last:r

Gnome
Doppleganger
Shifter

The Doppleganger and Shifter do fit so far. What other things begin with G's or H's

Thoughts?

Ogre has a g for the second letter.
Druid, Barbarian, and Sorcerer are my calls for sure. I'm willing to guess Wilder (a friend of mine thinks Wu Jen, but I'm doubtful). I think the second S is another divine-ish spellcaster, so it's probably Shaman or Shugenja...I doubt we'll be seeing a soulknife this time around...and the bard's future looks even less certain.

What I'm curious about is what exactly a "primal" power source is. I'm still hoping the sorcerer will be an arcane caster, if only because I have no idea what a "primal" caster would be. Anyone have any guesses?
After watching the Gamer Zero video... Mearls is pretty straight forward about "only 3 Classes being familiar"..and the rest "never having been in D&D before". I am sure some of those are just new names on past concepts. But I am kinda curious now.... there might be something really new and cool.
I think it's a bit premature to get excited about the PHBII seeing how we are not likely to see it for another year. I've already seen at least one January release on Amazon: Open Grave: Secrets of the Undead.

That said I hope Wizards doesn't decide to cram psionics in just to get it out there when it could get better and more solid treatment in it's own book.
That said I hope Wizards doesn't decide to cram psionics in just to get it out there when it could get better and more solid treatment in it's own book.

But here's the thing.. psionics always got another book because it was a different way of casting. In 4e, all the classes have the same mechanics of at will, per day, per encounter abilities. Considering the effort WotC put into making the wizard, cleric, and fighter (not to mention all the other classes) fit in with this mechanic, I doubt they would put a new way of casting into the game. The powers are going to be included in the class or classes for the psychic power source, and equipment is probably not going to be that different, in terms of crystals and such, they'll just be implements is my guess. If new skills were to be added into the game, then the character sheets would have spots for them. Psychic magic items will probably be in the exact same section/vein as regular magic items, they'll just do psychic damage - which is already in the game.
Good point.

I've only paged through the new PHB so I can't say I have a firm grasp of how powers work or how they've been developed with this new edition. I did notice that the class descriptions were a lot longer this time around and seemed to include powers. I suppose that if WotC can squeeze the Cleric and the Wizard in the same book with a pile of other material and have them be functional they must be able to do the same with psions. I just hope they don't limit psionics to the two guesses posted upthread because a wilder and a soulknife do not a psion make!
From the PHB page 54 (sidebar "POWER SOURCES):

"For example, barbarians and druids draw on the primal forces of nature, monks harness the power of their soul energy (or ki), and psions call upon the mind to generate psionic powers. Future power sources include elemental, ki, primal, psionic, and shadow."

Could anything in that list be something with the Elemental power source? Could anything on that list be a new name for a Monk?

Hmmm...
Could anything in that list be something with the Elemental power source?

Sorcerer could very easily have an elemental power source; I think I have heard something of this mentioned somewhere.
seraphim if this is indeed the new name for the aasimar , its second letter is also E
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Something just came to me.. perhaps monks are no longer called monks. Hear me out before you start groaning. When someone says the word 'monk' one tends to think of the shaolin style fighting monks or other oriental order styles, the spiritual non fighting monks (Benedictine style, wacky chanters), or Tony Shalhoub.

So perhaps, since what we think of as being 'monks', unarmed fighters that draw on the power of the soul, could be renamed 'Soulfists'.

Personally, I think D&D needs a bit of soul..
This is definitely gonna be a guessing game. I read on Keith Bakers blog that the Artificer will be in July's Dragon... and because of this and the Warforged article some are speculating the Bard may come up as a Dragon article.

Dragon articles are not a replacement for being included in the PHB. The class can be done in an article for an early release for those willing to pay the ransom, and be put in the PHB2 when it comes out also. One does not preclude another.

Edit-- having the Bard as a DDi exclusive will not bode well for the future of D&D. To exclude the Bard from the PHB completely (Not even putting him in the PHB3? PHB4?) would alienate even more die hard players and give the DDi a black mark as a way to charge more for content instead of being a resource. It is a dirty move and almost as bad as DRM inside of WinVista.
Terms you should know...
Show
Kit Build - A class build that is self sustaining and has mechanical differences than the normal scale. Started in Essentials. Most are call their own terms, though the Base Class should be said in front of their own terms (Like Assassin/Executioner) Power Points - A mechanic that was wedged into the PHB3 classes (with the exception of the Monk) from the previous editions. This time, they are used to augment At Wills to be Encounters, thus eliminating the need to choose powers past 4th level. Mage Builds - Kit builds that are schools of magic for the Wizard. A call back to the previous editions powering up of the wizard. (Wizard/Necromancer, for example) Unlike the previous kit builds, Wizards simply lose their Scribe Rituals feature and most likely still can choose powers from any build, unlike the Kit Builds. Parcel System - A treasure distribution method that keeps adventurers poor while forcing/advising the DM to get wish lists from players. The version 2.0 rolls for treasure instead of making a list, and is incomplete because of the lack of clarity about magic item rarity.
ha ha
56902498 wrote:
They will Essentialize the Essentials classes, otherwise known as Essentials2. The new sub-sub-classes will be: * Magician. A subsubclass of Mage, the magician has two implements, wand and hat, one familiar (rabbit) and series of basic tricks. * Crook. A subsubclass of Thief, the Crook can only use a shiv, which allows him to use his only power... Shank. * Angry Vicar, a subsubclass of warpriest, the angry vicar has two attacks -- Shame and Lecture. * Hitter. A subsubclass of Slayer, the Hitter hits things. * Gatherer. A subsubclass of Hunter, it doesn't actually do anything, but pick up the stuff other players might leave behind. Future Essentials2 classes include the Security Guard (Sentinel2), the Hexknife (Hexblade2), the Webelos (Scout2), the Gallant (Cavalier2) and the Goofus (Knight2). These will all be detailed in the box set called Heroes of the Futile Marketing. (Though what they should really release tomorrow is the Essentialized version of the Witchalok!)
Dragon articles are not a replacement for being included in the PHB. The class can be done in an article for an early release for those willing to pay the ransom, and be put in the PHB2 when it comes out also. One does not preclude another.

Edit-- having the Bard as a DDi exclusive will not bode well for the future of D&D. To exclude the Bard from the PHB completely (Not even putting him in the PHB3? PHB4?) would alienate even more die hard players and give the DDi a black mark as a way to charge more for content instead of being a resource. It is a dirty move and almost as bad as DRM inside of WinVista.

You know, there was never much Bard love before... and the concept c hanged over the editions. It is not the most important class, and a % minority of the base will really mourn it - especially with the martial and manly Warlord on now.
I can't remember where I heard or read it, but someone at WotC said that all classes and races from sources outside the PHB will be included in subsequent PHBs. I think.

As for the races my guesses are
Doppelganger
Genasi
Gnome
Hobgoblin
Shadar-kai
Classes later.

Bel
Originally Posted by WotC_RichBaker In related news, I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate your 3.5 rulebooks, and force you to convert to the new edition. Where do you live?
OH great! The poor gnome will have a split personality or a superiority complex!

The next interview with Tiefling and Gnome.

Gnome: I'm a monster RAWR! and a PC RACE too!
Tielfing: I was a mosnter first, then a PC race later as well.
Gnome: But I was first a PC Race, then a monster, and then a PC race held out because I was special!
Tiefling: Puny demi-human. ~gets ready to use a power~
Gnome: Minions! ~snaps fingers~ Get her!

Tiefling is carried off back to the gnome's lair for....torture.
Please make the "B" class, the Barbarian. More people will be upset over a Barbarian not being in over a Bard. In over 15 years of gaming, not one of us has ever played a Bard.

Let the Bard be a Dungeon or Dragon write up. They could have renamed the Monk to "Soulfist", maybe the fights over what a Monk is all these years will be fixed in 4e via a name change.

"T" could be a telepath, that would be good to get psionics in.

I can't wait for the PHB2, exciting times.

EK
Perhaps the Bard is being renamed, but I can't think of anything that begins with an 'R' for a name.
Terms you should know...
Show
ha ha
56902498 wrote:
Perhaps the Bard is being renamed, but I can't think of anything that begins with an 'R' for a name.

WAIT! Maybe we're going to finally get a "Rouge" ... Then there won't be anymore typos. :D
So for a Rouge race you could have a character as a Rouge Rogue.
So for a Rouge race you could have a character as a Rouge Rogue.

Only when he's embarrassed :P
No one likes Transmuter for T?
Release dates for PHB2? Jan or June?
My guesses:

Druid - primal controller- shifter as paragon path
R?
Barbarian - primal striker/ defender bybrid
Bard - arcane leader
Warrior-mage - arcane/ martial hybrid
Illusionist - shadow controller
T ?
Shaman - primal leader/ controller hybrid