4E Release day delivery?

44 posts / 0 new
Last post
I ordered a few sets of the three core rulebooks for 4E from Amazon.com for my self and friends and was wondering if anyone has had experience with these guys as far as release day delivery is concerned. I selected One-Day shipping but would assume that if they are sent out on the Saturday the 7th, then I would not get them until Monday the 9th - business days and all.

What is the likely hood that they would be sent out on the 6th, only for us to receive them on GAMEDAY - the 7th!?!? That would rule....
Normally one day shipping is not Saturday delivery unless the selection specifically said that it does. You'll need shipment on Thursday or Wednesday to get them Friday.

∴ "Virtus junxit, mors non separabit." 

Quite a few times i have pre-ordered something off amazon.co.uk (i live in britain) only to find it on my door step the day before it is released! they send early allrigh.t
I just want my books, i'm sick of all the crosstalk, i still gotta prep a campaign, dagnabbit, hard to convert Tombs of Ra without 'em...
I just want my books, i'm sick of all the crosstalk, i still gotta prep a campaign, dagnabbit, hard to convert Tombs of Ra without 'em...

Yeah , BTW Barnes and Noble is not shipping until the 6th, and I totally agree about a campaign to run! Ian.
Amazon's ship date appears to be the 6th. Your delivery estimate should be accurate.

Just because it's overnight, doesn't mean it's Saturday ship.
Yeah , BTW Barnes and Noble is not shipping until the 6th, and I totally agree about a campaign to run! Ian.

I don't know about that, I got a UPS tracking number today and mine is already on the way. I'm looking forward to some good reading this weekend.
I emailed amazon customer service. They will indeed ship on the 6th. If you got 1 day shipping, you will get it monday.
I emailed amazon customer service. They will indeed ship on the 6th. If you got 1 day shipping, you will get it monday.

Well then I guess there is no rush for me...changing my shipping from one day to free prime 2 day!

I ordered from Barnes and Noble, and my books are currently on a truck somewhere in California. Shipped yesterday, but the UPS websight is predicting a delivery next monday.
I preordered in April and until yesterday afternoon my ship date was showing as June 9. Yesterday they shipped the books and they will be at my house sometime today.

With preorders and streetdates Amazon tends to ship overnight orders so that they arrive on the release date or the day before the release date. But their system doesn't expressly represent that.
I preordered in April and until yesterday afternoon my ship date was showing as June 9. Yesterday they shipped the books and they will be at my house sometime today.

With preorders and streetdates Amazon tends to ship overnight orders so that they arrive on the release date or the day before the release date. But their system doesn't expressly represent that.

I preordered way back as well, and if I get a "shipped" email today, I will pee with glee. I ain't counting on it though.
Dang mine says shipping soon now...guess I shouldn't have changed shipping from one day to two day...
Got a shipping in progress email from amazon.ca on tuesday...... Today?(is it waiting for me when I get home??) or tommorow should be the day.

Of course the best part is that I placed my order on the 30th of May.
Got a shipping in progress email from amazon.ca on tuesday...... Today?(is it waiting for me when I get home??) or tommorow should be the day.

Of course the best part is that I placed my order on the 30th of May.

I originally ordered mine in april, but I cancelled it because I had extra stuff I didn't want. I re-ordered it on May 20, and did the 1 day shipping (I'm an Amazon Prime member.) Still shows a ship date of tomorrow with an estimated delivery day of June 9 (and this is amazon usa - I presume amazon.ca is canada?)

So, no update on my shipping, so I guess I'm hosed until Monday.

Lame.
I originally ordered mine in april, but I cancelled it because I had extra stuff I didn't want. I re-ordered it on May 20, and did the 1 day shipping (I'm an Amazon Prime member.) Still shows a ship date of tomorrow with an estimated delivery day of June 9 (and this is amazon usa - I presume amazon.ca is canada?)

So, no update on my shipping, so I guess I'm hosed until Monday.

Lame.

I agree, as they can easily arrange for you to have it on the 6th. Amazon.ca is indeed Canada. I suppose I should mention I used the free shipping option as well(I forget what it was called).
Hopefully I didn't come across as gloating as that was not my intention, just trying to send some hope along for others.
Is it possible that the US branch is more strictly bound to the release date (a function of some US law or other that's not on the books up here I'd guess)?
Normally when I pre-order and end up with it on the release date, the status on Amazon will show that it's "being prepared for shipping" and I can't make changes to the shipping method a day or two before the release date. As of right now it still shows that I can modify the shipping choice so it looks like it's not going to be shipped until tomorrow
No books for me until after the weekend.
Amazon US is extremely careful regarding street dates and publishers. What I don't understand, is if the core books are rated number 5 (or whatever) on their site, why didn't they put a little effort in the roll-out as they do with the Harry Potter books to land them on the street date. Obviously, the volume is nowhere near, but for a spring release, it seems pretty big.
Mine (on Amazon) is at "Preparing for Shipment" and I can't make changes. I too have had very good experience with Amazon shipping for a release date delivery. Keep on the Shadowfell arrived on release date. I am 90% confident it will be on my doorstep tomorrow when I get home from work and I will have the weekend to read and enjoy.

I will point out that Amazon is careful about making promises. They will not promise to ship for release date (except in rare cases like the Harry Potter books) and they also state there are no weekend deliveries. I've ordered a lot of stuff from Amazon and have almost always received things on release date and I have had overnight deliveries arrive on Saturdays. They are just covering their own butts by not making promises.

The Angry DM: D&D 4th Edition Advice with Attitude http://angrydm.com Follow me on Twitter @TheAngryDM "D&D is a world where you are a great champion, and the creator of the universe is frequently disorganized, highly distractable, and alarmingly vague on the rules of the universe he’s trying to run." -Shamus Young, Twenty Sided Tale (DM of the Rings)

Having called Amazon today out of curiousity, I found that there was no way we're getting these tomorrow. I was told that depending on where you are, the shipper will pick up the outgoings at the normal time of the distribution centers, that WOTC did not request special ship on this or pre-ship to arrive by release date, so they are bound on opening the containers the second that their distribution centers open Friday morning.

It was more info than I wanted to know, but I was told that basically tomorrow all of our books (and having worked at UPS, I know this well) will be entering the system.
Having called Amazon today out of curiousity, I found that there was no way we're getting these tomorrow. I was told that depending on where you are, the shipper will pick up the outgoings at the normal time of the distribution centers, that WOTC did not request special ship on this or pre-ship to arrive by release date, so they are bound on opening the containers the second that their distribution centers open Friday morning.

It was more info than I wanted to know, but I was told that basically tomorrow all of our books (and having worked at UPS, I know this well) will be entering the system.

Well, thanks, WotC. Appreciate the consideration of not asking for special shipping or arrangements so we could get these on time. Thanks much for thinking so little of the players.

Now my only recourse is to cancel the order and pay a lot more money to get the books tomorrow, or to wait until Monday.

Maybe the game isn't that great, so WotC isn't in a rush to get it out to us.

Well, thanks, WotC. Appreciate the consideration of not asking for special shipping or arrangements so we could get these on time. Thanks much for thinking so little of the players.

Now my only recourse is to cancel the order and pay a lot more money to get the books tomorrow, or to wait until Monday.

Maybe its a freaking game, and maybe Amazon would have charged them more for those services. And maybe you could have just ordered it at a bookstore and paid full price if you wanted it on the street date. Dont blame others for not doing something you could have arranged yourself.

P.S. The game actually is really great. I managed to get an advanced peak and Im really impressed with it so far. First local playtests go this weekend.
Maybe its a freaking game, and maybe Amazon would have charged them more for those services. And maybe you could have just ordered it at a bookstore and paid full price if you wanted it on the street date. Dont blame others for not doing something you could have arranged yourself.

P.S. The game actually is really great. I managed to get an advanced peak and Im really impressed with it so far. First local playtests go this weekend.

Apparently, you missed the part where *I* myself said:
"Now my only recourse is to cancel the order and pay a lot more money to get the books tomorrow, or to wait until Monday."

It IS a game. Duh. I'm glad that's been cleared up for me because, until you told me, I didn't know.

Some people.

That's actually pretty cool - Amazon lets publishers pay extra to ship stuff out early...

And of course, if I had the income to justify it, I'd rather pay 105 and have the books in hand on the 7th than the 11th myself. But I can't currently afford to pay double for the benefit of 4 days, so...

That extra day is actually a pretty big gift from wizards to their bricks and mortar and independent retailers.
Apparently, you missed the part where *I* myself said:
"Now my only recourse is to cancel the order and pay a lot more money to get the books tomorrow, or to wait until Monday."

It IS a game. Duh. I'm glad that's been cleared up for me because, until you told me, I didn't know.

Some people.

I think you need to remember that it's more than just a game.
I think you need to remember that it's more than just a game.

I honestly cannot tell if you're joking or not. It is a game. And nothing more.

WotC didn't need to ask Amazon.com for special shipping. What WotC should have done is released 4e on a Monday instead of a Friday. If they had released 4e on Monday you would have got the books on Tuesday. Since it's out on Friday that means you have to wait until Monday.

That's just poor planning from a marketing point of view.
WotC didn't need to ask Amazon.com for special shipping. What WotC should have done is released 4e on a Monday instead of a Friday. If they had released 4e on Monday you would have got the books on Tuesday. Since it's out on Friday that means you have to wait until Monday.

That's just poor planning from a marketing point of view.

Yeah, that one is kinda dumb.

"Let's have a worldwide D&D game day, with the new rules, where half the people will not have them yet!"

"Brilliant!"

I thought all the alcoholics worked at White Wolf...
I know it might be a bit late for this little piece of information, but release date acording to amazon is June 6th, not 7th. Game day comes a day after the release, unless amazon is mistaken.
Well I ordered mine from amazon.co.uk on the 3rd of June, it was shipped on the 4th and I received it today. So it looks like amazon, at least in the UK are shipping them early so that people get them on time for release day.
Well I ordered mine from amazon.co.uk on the 3rd of June, it was shipped on the 4th and I received it today. So it looks like amazon, at least in the UK are shipping them early so that people get them on time for release day.

Damn Brits and your fancy "Amazon.Uk" I bet unreleased books flow over there like . . .um . . .like . . . um . . .GUINESS!!! So THERE!

. . . . mmmmm . . . .Guiness . . .

:D
Well I checked my Amazon preorder today and was shocked to find that they moved my overnight shipping order to send out on JULY 2nd!. I was all for the savings, but I wasn't waiting a month to get the books. I cancelled my order and went down to my local shop. They discount 15% on all gaming material and they had the stock on the shelves at 11am.

So now I'm sitting here with the three core rulebooks in the nice little slipcover.....and I'm playing a 3.5 game tonight. Ick.
This just in: My buddy just received his Amazon shipment this morning, which is BS since I ordered like 2 months before him!
Ignore my last . . . apparently, I am gullible . . . he just wrote back to say he was just messing with me . . .
Amazon.ca order here.
Shipped on the 5th, at my door before noon, std. shipping (although I'm only a couple miles fom the warehouse)
They are on my desk right now.
Whoo-Hoo!!!

UPS tracking shows my 4e books arrived in my home town early this morning, and are currently on a delivery truck. Should have them for the weekend.
I have no tracking info yet. I hope, with Amazon being down all morning, that the shipping department is still on the ball
I have no tracking info yet. I hope, with Amazon being down all morning, that the shipping department is still on the ball

So, essentially, the colossal demand for the 4e books crashed the Amazon website?
pre-ordered mine from amazon on may 18th...still no sign of shipping...supposedly they ran out of stock and have to refill so now the date has moved from the 6th, to the 16th. my order still says i should recieve it by june 11th...so *fingers crossed* i'll be getting that "your order has shipped..." e-mail soon...if not...i'll be a sad, sad panda
So, essentially, the colossal demand for the 4e books crashed the Amazon website?

One might think so. They are pretty damn stable for how huge they are, and for to be dead in the water for 2+ hours is pretty huge.

Someone must have cast a level seven ritual of Server Binding . . .

I still have no ship confirmation. I best be gettin my stuff on Monday, or CS will be getting an earful regarding my "overnight" delivery.
Ordered mine June 1st, standard shipping, from AmazonUS. According to my tracking info it left Ohio (I'm in Indiana) Friday. I'm guessing I'll have mine Monday, Tuesday at the latest.

Edit: It was sitting in my mailbox when I woke up this morning. Wo0t!
Sign In to post comments