What the heck will the DMG 2 have?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
We've heard that WotC are planning on producing a DMG, MM and PHB each year. We've all heard about a little about the PHB (will have the primal power source), the MM (will have Frost Giants) but what I haven't heard about is the DMG2!

So I'm wondering what will be in DMG2, does anyone know? I've heard some speculation that it will have updated rules, although this seems silly to me. If DMG 2 changes what players get in the Treasure Parcels, then that changes how powerful they'll be which means all the MM races will be underpowered for their supposed level. So I was wondering if anyone knew for sure?
One of the playtesters said the DMG draft had a cool section on designing traps which ended up getting cut. I bet we'll see that. Perhaps some more pre-designed ones too.

There's only four artifacts in the first DMG, so that could be another big section. And on the "the same, but more" vein, more poisons and diseases wouldn't hurt.

Maybe there will be another detailed environment like the sample town.

There may be some 3E DMG II stuff too, like the teamwork benefits (although that seems to be more deeply encoded in the base 4E rules anyway) and campaign-world organizations.
-More NPCs
-More Locations
-More Templates
-More Traps and Hazards
-More Artifacts
-More Diseases and Poisons
-More indepth underwater rules (this is semi-confirmed)
-Alternative Rules
-Expand the D&D universe; add firearm rules, etc.

Those are somethings it can have.
More to the point: what will DMG3 have?

Seriously? A PHB, DMG and MM each year? Milk money from gamers much, WotC?
More to the point: what will DMG3 have?

Seriously? A PHB, DMG and MM each year? Milk money from gamers much, WotC?

Well, sure. They're the milk store.
I hope WotC is paying attention to threads like this.

I want hard rules like we had in 2nd ed to build classes. I know WotC wants to introduce new classes to us, but as the Martial Controller issue shows, we have our ideas, too.

I want the omitted trap & hazard rules.

I want codified rules for Paragon Path and Epic Destinies

Construction rules and more stuff for building/ designing Magic items.

Alternate rules.
A big thing they should have in the next DMG, rules for creating your own Rituals (both mechanically and in-game).
-More NPCs
-More Locations
-More Templates
-More Traps and Hazards
-More Artifacts
-More Diseases and Poisons
-More indepth underwater rules (this is semi-confirmed)
-Alternative Rules
-Expand the D&D universe; add firearm rules, etc.

Those are somethings it can have.

Aaah, well I can see how it can have a whole other DMG. Although some of these sound of minimal value. Guess I'll just have to wait a year ;)
I would like to see each subsequent DMG run with a theme. Like, for instance, nature and wilderness. Or a shadowlands theme. Or subterranean worlds.

For example, if the theme is nature, that DMG could devote some time to spicing up wilderness quests. One advantage would be that players could more easily recognise where to find specific material. ("Which DMG had those detailed rules on city dynamics? Must be in the 'urban' DMG, which is number 4!")
I would like to see each subsequent DMG run with a theme. Like, for instance, nature and wilderness. Or a shadowlands theme. Or subterranean worlds.

I expect there will be separate theme-specific books for that — the ones for 3E were generally good. (Especially Stormwrack.) And there's already a Manual of the Planes on the 2008 printing schedule.

Don't think that one new DMG every year is all they've got to sell us.
Are we sure there will be a 2nd DMG? I had only seen additional PHBs and MMs
Well, additional PHBs would be the class specific books that add extra features. MMs are obviously more monsters.

A second DMG would probably contain tips for new DMs on running campaigns, extra traps and such to throw against the PCs. That kind of thing.

They already do things like this, it's just a matter of how useful the individual players think they are. Personally I'm not fond of the books that upgrade classes in general, but there are times that I find one that I really like and find very useful only to have others say they find it useless.

They wouldn't have too much trouble coming out with a new one of each type of book each year. All they would have to do is name it the appropriate name.
  • How to get the cheap players from never bringing snacks and mooching off everyone else.
  • How to get rid of that one annoying guy that keeps coming back to play, no matter how mean everyone is to him.
  • How to properly smack around a disruptive rules lawyer.
  • How to stop male players from salivating on female players that decide to try out D&D.
  • How to avoid sexual harassment lawsuits if you fail.
  • How to make a proper Kobold impression.
  • Dead baby jokes.

Stuff like this I imagine.
I expect there will be separate theme-specific books for that — the ones for 3E were generally good. (Especially Stormwrack.) And there's already a Manual of the Planes on the 2008 printing schedule.

Don't think that one new DMG every year is all they've got to sell us.

Maybe. But such books are prone to having to be fluffed out to fill their 160 pages. Why not strip, say, wilderness questing, down to the essentials and shove it in a DMG chapter? Sure, a DMG each year isn't all they have to sell us, but I think the DMGs could condense a lot of what used to be splats down into sections.

Manual of the Planes, yes that's coming out, but I think there'll be enough worthwhile content to fill its 160 pages.
Manual of the Planes, yes that's coming out, but I think there'll be enough worthwhile content to fill its 160 pages.

Planar cosmology is also traditionally a large part of D&D. Considering the shakeups they've made to it in 4th edition, 160 pages should easily be filled.
How about dungeon design along the lines of the Dungeoncraft articles?
Environmental rules like Frostburn, etc.
Sections on the current campaign setting.

Bel
Originally Posted by WotC_RichBaker In related news, I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate your 3.5 rulebooks, and force you to convert to the new edition. Where do you live?
Sign In to post comments