The Future Druid (please please please)

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
A shapeshifting druid is all good and awesomeness and all, but one of the things I like about the 3.5 druid is the unique nature-focused spell list. Maybe we can have a shifter/animal shaman class and a primal magic user?

Heck, call it "sorcerer" if you have to, but let's have some vengence-of-the-storm trees-rise-up-to-crush-the-infidels magic-of-doom in addition to the bear warrior.
This is classic, and I wouldn't worry about its inclusion. They're going to be thinking of as much stuff for each power source as they can, so something like this WILL exist. I think it's likely to be a build for the druid... one gets a shapeshifting bonus, and the other gets a bonus to other casts.
If i were you i wouldnt sweat it too much. Im sure WotC wont get rid of any character concepts, especially given all the classes in splat books, if anything more concepts will be showing up. I think WotC has confirmed that all Players handbook 1 classes from 3.x will have a 4e incarnation and i find it highly unlikely that they will only create one little portion of a class. Time is the only factor imo, who knows how fast they will get this kind of character printed in books.
Well, while the focus of the Druid will be wild-shape it will also get weather based powers.

Also, there will be a Shaman class, so this could deal out more of that too. It could you know awaken the spirit of the river to swallow enemies in its watery mouth, cause trees to awaken and swing their branches against enemies, etc.
Yeah. I predict that the 3.x Druid is going to be split into two different classes:

Druid (a shape shifting striker)
Shaman (a primal spell caster controller or leader)
Yeah. I predict that the 3.x Druid is going to be split into two different classes:

Druid (a shape shifting striker)
Shaman (a primal spell caster controller or leader)

The Shaman is a confirmed Leader class (probably primal).

The Druid is all but finished by David Noonan, with around 80 powers (hybrid class).
and a primal magic user?

There was mention of an Elementalist class in R&C.

And the Sorcerer is all but confirmed by the designers to be an Arcane Controller (totally different than the wizard – wild magic).
The Druid is all but finished by David Noonan, with around 80 powers (hybrid class).

Where are you getting that information? I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm just curious...
Where are you getting that information? I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm just curious...

A while back, I will try to find a link (it was from a WotC dude).
Info about upcoming stuff. There's a link to Druid info here too. :

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=224280
A while back, I will try to find a link (it was from a WotC dude).

Info about upcoming stuff. There's a link to Druid info here too. :

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=224280

The Enworld thread basically links back to this blog post, which is the one Steely_Dan is referring to, and is actually what I was responding to when I started this thread:

http://www.gleemax.com/Comms/Pages/Communities/BlogPost.aspx?blogpostid=52842&pagemode=2&blogid=2132

It says:
• Call his role “hybrid.” But don’t assume that he can cover all roles. Just a couple of ‘em.
• If you like what the 3.5 Player’s Handbook II did to the 3.5 druid, then you’ll probably like this guy, too.
• He doesn’t do much with the classical Greek elements (air/fire/earth/water), but he’s got a lot of weather-related magic. Again, that’s the direction we were taking the class in latter-day 3.5 products.
• Not a lot of animal summoning. Plenty of wild shape.

Not covering all roles is reasonable enough, but I guess the role I'm concerned for is controller — entangle, call lightning storm, fire storm, etc. Hopefully this is where the "weather-related magic" comment is going, but consider that wild-shape (as in the 3.5 PHBII) lends itself to striker or defender, depending on how it's implemented, and that the druid traditionally has healing and party boost magic that fits the leader role too. But, can't have all four roles, so what's gonna get cut?
Sign In to post comments