A request to Wizards of the Coast

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I got my hands on Keep on the Shadowfell today and I have to say that I really love the new folder case and magazine-style book format! I politely ask that please, for future adventure releases, at least make the adventure cover out of card-stock. I still have 20+ year old D&D and AD&D modules in great condition after many instances of play. I don't think that I will be flicking nostalgically through KotS in 20 years time. It will have disintigrated by then.
Well some kind of stiff card at least...
I have to agree, I haven't even run it yet and the covers of both the quick start rules and adventure book are smudged badly.

Bel
Originally Posted by WotC_RichBaker In related news, I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate your 3.5 rulebooks, and force you to convert to the new edition. Where do you live?
An artist's spray fixative should help to preserve the cover art. Does anyone know if the same problems happen with the interior pages?
An artist's spray fixative should help to preserve the cover art. Does anyone know if the same problems happen with the interior pages?

Yeah, the print ink will smear if you rub it.

Bel
Originally Posted by WotC_RichBaker In related news, I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate your 3.5 rulebooks, and force you to convert to the new edition. Where do you live?
Maby it is simply a poor printing job on the smudged covers.

I doubt it, really, but it has to be said. WotC seems to think we will put up our hard earned money for crap products, when gas prices, to fill your tank, are more than many people make in a day of work.

Come now, it's been one product in a brand new line....

If H2 and H3 are both printed on toilet paper too, then I promise, I'll be right there next to you, complaining.
Come now, it's been one product in a brand new line....

If H2 and H3 are both printed on toilet paper too, then I promise, I'll be right there next to you, complaining.

Well, you have to admit it is a little discouraging. WotC has been publishing books long enough that they shouldn't be making these kinds of mistakes. I'll wait and see how mine holds up before rendering judgment, but I expect quality from the physical product in addition to a fun game.
Well, you have to admit it is a little discouraging. WotC has been publishing books long enough that they shouldn't be making these kinds of mistakes. I'll wait and see how mine holds up before rendering judgment, but I expect quality from the physical product in addition to a fun game.

That's true, and I agree with you. On the other hand, I acknowledge that manufacturing costs have risen in response to oil prices (oil -> gasoline -> shipping timber -> paper), and that it's in both my own and WotC's interests to avoid raising the prices of books and modules. Personally, I'd rather WotC skimp on paper quality than writing quality, if possible.

That said, our job as consumers is to say, "Hey, Wizards, look! We appreciate that you don't want to jack up the price of your products, but the paper you guys used for Keep on the Shadowfell really stinks. It didn't absorb the ink very well, and subsequently, all the words and artwork tend to smudge if you touch them. Please try something else."

With luck, WotC will try something else for H2, and hopefully it will turn out better.
That's true, and I agree with you. On the other hand, I acknowledge that manufacturing costs have risen in response to oil prices (oil -> gasoline -> shipping timber -> paper), and that it's in both my own and WotC's interests to avoid raising the prices of books and modules. Personally, I'd rather WotC skimp on paper quality than writing quality, if possible.

That said, our job as consumers is to say, "Hey, Wizards, look! We appreciate that you don't want to jack up the price of your products, but the paper you guys used for Keep on the Shadowfell really stinks. It didn't absorb the ink very well, and subsequently, all the words and artwork tend to smudge if you touch them. Please try something else."

With luck, WotC will try something else for H2, and hopefully it will turn out better.

But isn't this one reason they're supposed to be allowing people who buy the products to download (for free) a copy of the PDF? Maybe I've just not been keeping up or something, but I do recall them saying something about that.

In my opinion, having a digital copy of the print version is far better for archival purposes than praying the book survives the test of time.

I'm not saying that it's wrong to want the books to survive at the very least handling them (that is just mildly ridiculous, and definitely something they should fix). But as for something that's going to last for twenty plus years and still look as fantastic as it did two decades prior? Might be asking a bit much there.
But isn't this one reason they're supposed to be allowing people who buy the products to download (for free) a copy of the PDF? Maybe I've just not been keeping up or something, but I do recall them saying something about that.

In my opinion, having a digital copy of the print version is far better for archival purposes than praying the book survives the test of time.

I'm not saying that it's wrong to want the books to survive at the very least handling them (that is just mildly ridiculous, and definitely something they should fix). But as for something that's going to last for twenty plus years and still look as fantastic as it did two decades prior? Might be asking a bit much there.

You raise an excellent point about digital copies, at least insofar as it affects manufacturing costs. Digital copies do make better archives, but I personally don't feel that's the same as having your own hardcopy sitting on your shelf. Beyond that, I sorta doubt .pdfs will be free, and so it remains to be seen just how "available" digital copies will be.

IIRC, WotC sacked the "free .pdf copies for product owners" idea, citing logistical issues, and replaced it with DDI's Online Rules Compendium. (An online compilation of rules and crunch from all products published in print and on DDI, available to DDI subscribers regardless of what books they've purchases.)

...And that's all I know about digital publishing.
Im an avid collector and a long time D&D DM (started just before AD&D first edition came out).

So far, Im hooked on 4E. Love the rules as released so far (will of course house rule a bit...but thats to be expected in most games, nature of the beast and all). Love the changes to game play (feels like a combination table top version of a tactical mini's game and RPG rolled into one). Love the modular feel to the whole system structure.

When I got my hands on KotS, I was not disappointed. I was pi$$ed.

Not at the adventure, not at the rules, not at the changes, just at the production value for my $30 duckets.

Seriously, at some point here man up (or woman up) and admit the mistake, then tell us its not gonna happen again on your watch guys and gals. This was a forgivable mistake if you take the hit on the chin and we all move on.

Oh yeah, and what the OP said. Good thick stock and paper/ink that you actually need a forensic scientist to validate fingerprints on. Cause I could have rolled my mag across a paper and inked myself for a legal line up.

Btw...what was in the adventure...fun, a good start, a bit ambiguous in spots but thats to be expected. No more smudgie smudgie and we are all happy campers...KKTHANKS! =)

MM
Add my vote to the total... I want it printed on better stock. I bought two copies (one will be a gift for a DM on my game day). So that's $60. Yea, it's a nice adventure, but I'm not happy with the smudging and folder quality at all.

Pat
I agree. the sturdier cover was nice.
Sign In to post comments